NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    Novica said:

Okay, call me crazy, now I'm looking at Mog Ruith. All the add-ons and Mog Ruith are only .80 (96% off) so now I'm wondering if anyone has any renders of those? Even if they aren't stellar, would be good for DOF background buildings for period pieces. Even in theme parks where they have different time periods. 

I used this a LONG time ago. It's by, believe it or not, Stonemason. For .80  Millennium Environment   and Private Places goes with it. With DOF these would be interesting. They have props, it's not just a background. Parts of these actually morph. I don't have Private Places, I'll see about the Millennium Environment for a render tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep, up early this morning, so ttyl.

I have Millennium Environment and Private Places installed in DS 4.9.1.25 with Daz Connect. Private Places gives missing file errors and I cannot get it to work at all. Time for another bug report. This will be my third today and it isn't even noon. noangry

That sounds like the bug that's fixed in the latest public beta (4.9.1.27).

I hope that is all it takes to fix it. It is frustrating that 4.9 and Daz Connect were released with so many things not working.

I read what you wrote in Jen's Updated Products thread -- it sounds like the add-on wasn't updated when the Mil Environment was, rather than it being the bug that was fixed.

Thanks for the additional information. I guess I'll have to wait and hope it will get updated.

Are the Poser files set up as .pz2's or .pp2/.cr2?  If .pz2's don't work then it's probably the bug that's fixed in the latest beta, but .pp2/.cr2 would need to be updated.

The product contains all three of the file types you listed. Jen has indicated in her updates thread that the product needs to be updated and that see will fix it.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2016

Note Fast Grab changed, don't know when, but check out Summer Camp- the interior has quite a few grungy props and is $6

• Cabin walls, floor, ceiling
    • 1940s style refrigerator and stove
    • Sink
    • Toilet
    • Tree stump table
    • Bed
    • Shrine table with candles and rocks
    • Wrecked furniture (chair, table, sofa)
    • Intact chair
    • Debris broken down into 3 separate props
    • Pick Ax prop
    • Lantern
    • Old tires
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2016

Appreciate the input from folks who don't want to post but who PM me or email me regarding products, I certainly understand posting isn't for everyone and I will be happy to pass along information as long as I can see what you're talking about via the promos or the product listing. (If I don't have the product.)

Regarding M3D Jesse HD for Genesis 3 Males, two people have mentioned the shape of the buttocks is different in shape than the characters they own, and the promo does show that very well in the last thumbnail,  and the others where Jesse is turned. Everyone doesn't have the same body shape, this figure gives you an option of the more stocky build, the hiney is definitely different, so you'll have to see if this appeals to you or not. I like vendors who give us versatility, just pointing out this may or may not be the "norm" for you.

Second, it was pointed out this is a morphed figure. There is no skin, only morphs. While it clearly states it is a morph product, just wanted to be sure you caught that. I'm not sure how you define things, in my head, a character is skin and morphs, a figure is morphs. 

Does anyone have Jesse? What did you think of his booty shape?

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Appreciate the input from folks who don't want to post but who PM me or email me regarding products, I certainly understand posting isn't for everyone and I will be happy to pass along information as long as I can see what you're talking about via the promos or the product listing. (If I don't have the product.)

Regarding M3D Jesse HD for Genesis 3 Males, two people have mentioned the shape of the buttocks is different in shape than the characters they own, and the promo does show that very well in the last thumbnail,  and the others where Jesse is turned. Everyone doesn't have the same body shape, this figure gives you an option of the more stocky build, the hiney is definitely different, so you'll have to see if this appeals to you or not. I like vendors who give us versatility, just pointing out this may or may not be the "norm" for you.

Second, it was pointed out this is a morphed figure. There is no skin, only morphs. While it clearly states it is a morph product, just wanted to be sure you caught that. I'm not sure how you define things, in my head, a character is skin and morphs, a figure is morphs. 

Does anyone have Jesse? What did you think of his booty shape?

I didn't buy it. It didn't appeal to me at all. I also didn't realize that it was morphs only, so thanks for pointing that out.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I have him. Haven't rendered him yet! Will pull the character up tonight. I think for me I thought there was a skin with the product too. I'm not used to characters without skins.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited March 2016
    RGcincy said:

Most interested!

I'll put something together then. The link provided by Fisty is a good start and shows how simple it actually is, but the shirt has more complexities in terms of selection and what you need to do to align textures. So I'll build on top of what that link already shows. 

Got the "Adding Surfaces and Striped Texture to a T-Shirt" tutorial completed. I posted it in the Daz Studio Discussion as it will likely get buried in this thread. Here is the link. Hope it helps a few!

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    RGcincy said:
    RGcincy said:

Most interested!

I'll put something together then. The link provided by Fisty is a good start and shows how simple it actually is, but the shirt has more complexities in terms of selection and what you need to do to align textures. So I'll build on top of what that link already shows. 

Got the "Adding Surfaces and Striped Texture to a T-Shirt" tutorial completed. I posted it in the Daz Studio Discussion as it will likely get buried in this thread. Here is the link. Hope it helps a few!

This is awesome!  Thank you!

Here's a link to a fly-through of a 3D model of ancient Rome. And here's a narrated video and more about the project. Not only are there buildings but also animated people. Some one did a lot of work! 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited March 2016

Mog Ruith

I meant to post an interior render and got a bit carried away and forgot. Here is an unfinished render anyway smiley

Click on image for full size.

mog-ruith-dinner-001.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654

Fishtales, I love this unfinished render. I kicked Mog Ruith out of my Runtime because I could never get a good render.

Barbult, I love your Smells Like Fall render. The little girl is especially as hoot. (We miss you at RRRR sad)

Hey, leave Barbult alone! I like her here!  devil 

Fishtales, that is so lovely. Thanks for showing us. It was a steal at 80 cents!

Novica said:

Hey, leave Barbult alone! I like her here!  devil 

Fishtales, that is so lovely. Thanks for showing us. It was a steal at 80 cents!

Hey, she can do both! We miss you too for that matter - I will never forget Nautica. Hehe. cheeky

Anyone else who would like to do crazy renders with random pulls from their Runtimes is welcome: RRRR

luci45 said:

Fishtales, I love this unfinished render. I kicked Mog Ruith out of my Runtime because I could never get a good render.

Barbult, I love your Smells Like Fall render. The little girl is especially as hoot. (We miss you at RRRR sad)

Hey, thanks for missing me. blush Everyday I keep saying I have to start RRRR, but I keep getting distracted with new things I've purchased and with writing lots of bug reports. devil When my husband hears my fingers typing like mad he says "Are you writing another bug report?"

DS 4.9 threw me for a loop when it trashed my database twice. I've basically started over using Daz Connect now. That still needs some work before all products will install and work as expected. Each new DS 4.9 Beta gets a little better.

For a few weeks, I was doing some Beta testing for a PA. That took a lot of my time, but it was very enjoyable time spent. The PA declared me to be "The Best Beta Tester Ever" smileyblush That made me feel good. She was great to work with, too - very receptive to feedback and suggestions. It will be a great product when it is released - soon, I hope!

Looking at the morphs for Kikki Outfit. None listed for the skirt at all. If you get it, please check that and let us know. If you try posing anyone in a sitting position wthout lower dress adjustments, that would be a real pain, and so would anyone in a stride. It has a nice variety of textures and I like the padding in the shoes, but that dress bottom half would make it a no-go for me if you can't manipulate it easily. The straps have both inner and outer up, not sure how that impacts the shoulders or if you can use the Scene breakdown (collarbone) to lower with Y translate. 

barbult said:
    luci45 said:

Hey, thanks for missing me. blush Everyday I keep saying I have to start RRRR, but I keep getting distracted with new things I've purchased and with writing lots of bug reports. devil When my husband hears my fingers typing like mad he says "Are you writing another bug report?"

DS 4.9 threw me for a loop when it trashed my database twice. I've basically started over using Daz Connect now. That still needs some work before all products will install and work as expected. Each new DS 4.9 Beta gets a little better.

For a few weeks, I was doing some Beta testing for a PA. That took a lot of my time, but it was very enjoyable time spent. The PA declared me to be "The Best Beta Tester Ever" smileyblush That made me feel good. She was great to work with, too - very receptive to feedback and suggestions. It will be a great product when it is released - soon, I hope!

LOL, I can hear the clicking keys! I'm glad somebody is doing that and that your efforts are appreciated. I've been lucky with my database but I don't use it much either, as the catagory labels are often frustratingly counterintuitive.

edited March 2016

The Mog Ruith render has moved on a bit. Still not finished, too much reflection from a lot of things, but I thought I would post this unfinished render anyway.

Click on image for full size.

mog-ruith-dinner-002.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by Fishtales on

Fishtales you're making me hungry! That food looks good and the activity catching the dog's attention is clever- he's ready to eat too! (He'll have to wait, I get first dibbs.)  Are you rendering Reality?

@Novica

Thank you.

No that is all Iray.

edited March 2016

Absolutely STUNNING! I can see why it is taking so long to render. (It will be ready next Thanksgiving....) 

BTW, OT, but we decided to stop paying for our modem and buy our own, so since we have had to have two technicians out recently (tornado, winds were high and blew into the box) we decided to ask the technicians what modems are reliable and ultra fast. Surfboard, with the exception of one model (It was 6500, can't remember last two digits), was independently mentioned, and they said the same model. They said they rarely had any firmware issues and the speed was "ultra fast." Well, ahem, so is the price, but I'm not paying rental fees, it will pay for itself in a year and a half and we own it, so it will save in the long run. Our 25th anniversary is coming up so we decided to give each other something we could use that we both wanted. wink  

What convinced me was 86/86 people recommending it, something I rarely see is a 100% recommendation for anything technical. So we got it and definitely saw the difference. And our rented modem was doing quite well, over 100 Mbps on average for downloads.

Our router is Netgear Nighthawk X6 (my Christmas present a year ago)  and you gamers already know about that one. Kiss lagging goodbye!  Anyway, this modem and that router are awesome together. 

So thought I'd mention it if you are switching modems anytime soon or want to try for the best results in download / upload. We got ours at Best Buy.  It's also nice and small. It's ARRIS SURFboard Model 6190 and SKU at Best Buy is 4600801. It has 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels, DOCSYS 3, the upstream is 240 Mbps. I can't find the downstream at the moment, but we tested our other modem right before we switched, and the difference was very noticeable. During peak time we got 112.17 Mbps and upload 18.76  The site to use according to the techs (not speakeasy) is speedtest.xfinity (dot com) and the Pittsburgh location for the South/East coast. (650 miles away. I just did the test, and today, right now I'm 106.45 on average (peak 114.47) and 17.85 upload (peak 37.14. Wow! Wish that could have stabilized at that!) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Check out Fast Grab if you haven't lately- one of Polish's products is in it- Night Bar!   I really like Polish products, good attention to detail. At 70% off, this is a steal! 

Reality is coming right along. If you're wondering how it works/how hard it is, here's a little summary of what I've learned/my workflow from the past couple days. Paolo has thoughtfully been on the thread most the afternoon- if you use Reality, hop over, he's on it now too/ popping in and out. 

I tried Uma again in that gladiator outfit, as a challenge. She's dark skinned and the outfit is solid white. I think I'm switching over from Iray to Reality, at least for awhile. You'll see my "Reality" at the bottom so you'll know.

UmaSunniTest2SIG.jpg
    548 x 909 - 453K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Rating: Recommend for distant shots or DOF if near the palm trees. Rocks are fine.  With ground plane, recommend that grass hide the bald spots as those do not look realistic to me.

Here's the Iray version. 

On the two showing the trees, I lightened the scene.

We already discussed last year that several aspects of this product, Tropical Elements, weren't quite what was expected, beginning with the palm trees. I posted images of different types and yes, there are some palms that have bands going that way on their trunks, and even one type that is relatively smooth. Most have vertical slits, a bit crusty looking overall- and the slits are tiny so they don't show up much.  My take on it is even though they exist, it isn't what a viewer associates with palms and I'd rather they not be distracted and wondering if I've messed up with my palm trees. So if I use them, I am putting some depth of field on these. TIP: darken them and they probably wouldn't be so noticeable. Go with a dark gray, many palm trunks are gray.

Likewise with the bigger trunk one- I know what they're going for, but up close watch for the rows of round cornered squares and rectangles. From a distance and / or DOF it looks quite normal to me (more than the than the striped trunks.) In the  promo art, it actually looks fine and gives you a good idea of what it will look like. That would be a hard trunk to texture and I think they were brave to tackle it!

The ground plane on the other hand, reminds me of something that is unfinished. The bald green patches just don't add anything impressive IMO. My first thought, to be honest, was an algae bloom.  I used DOF and a camera angle to hide the bald green areas. So I have to say I am not liking the ground plane green, flat areas.  What they do have, looks good, and I like the bend and fluidity of the blades. With a good camera angle you can get around it.  The vendor did give you a good variety of elements.

UmaSunniTestIRAY2.jpg
    550 x 1000 - 513K
    UmaSunniTestIRAY3.jpg
    550 x 1000 - 451K
    UmaSunniTestIRAY4.jpg
    550 x 1000 - 407K
    Post edited by Novica on

Wow, Whiskers for Genesis 3 Males looks like a great facial hair product! The hair looks so touchable! 

I've bought a few things during MM but overall this sale isn't Madness. It seems the same as every sale year round. Basing the extra 10% off if you bought a highly stylized character like The Girl 7 wasn't motivation enough for me to get something I wouldn't use. So far, some of the vendors have put out really nice products, that hair salon by Slosh is very impressive. I picked up the island, don't know when I'll render it, but I needed something on a small scale. What have you folks bought? I got the Whiskers, Hunting Drake, and Subsurface product, although that ketchup should look more like the hot sauce. (Look at the promo- IMO the hot sauce looks more like ketchup, and the ketchup looks a bit like plastic to me. Too hard.)  Looks like a fun product though. I've got to ask if these work in Reality.  

Novica said:

Reality is coming right along. If you're wondering how it works/how hard it is, here's a little summary of what I've learned/my workflow from the past couple days. 

I read your summary. How are you finding Reality versus Iray in terms of image quality & render time?

Novica said:

What have you folks bought?

I was tempted by Forest Path but I have a few of the vendor's other products and they can be very slow to move the camera around, so I put it on my wishlist. Today I did buy 4 items: Japanese Maples, Whiskers for Genesis 3 Males, Subsurface Workshop and one from the Still Mad category: i13 Emotional Pose Collection for Genesis 3 Males. I hesitated on the Subsurface Workshop as Mec4D is working on a new shader pack that looks outstanding and I thought covers some of the same ground, but the workshop can be used on a lot of other shader packs. I also liked that the vendor had a link to the readme and a PDF you could read in advance. I have several of the i13 pose sets and like that they have both full body and lots of partial body poses which makes it easy to get a much greater variety of poses.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,135

I agree with you, Novica, on the lack of real Madness (so far). Today is the first day I've picked up any new items (apart from some of this week's PC+ which I'd have bought anyway) - I too got the Whiskers. I've picked up a few "nearly new" items (just outside their 60-day window) with the 50%. I was very tempted by the Japanese Maples but I really need to hang on to some cash from this month's budget for later in the month. I may succumb if they turn up in catchup and I have any funds left. I'm also waiting on Zev0's upcoming youth products for G3M/F and Mec4D's new shaders (though I suspect they might blow the budget as they sound like a massive set with a correspondingly massive price!) I'd love to see what anyone can do with that Subsurface Workshop - I was tempted by that too but ...

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I also got the whiskers and the hunting drake as well as the palm tree Island.  I also got the breast fixer by sickle yield and FINALLY picked up marrakesh souks which has been on my wish list since I joined in Sept. And the elven outfit for G3m.  I have no reference for March Madness since I haven't been here that long but so far it seems like the pa and pc sale were far more discounted.

I bought a few things already though I'm trying hard to make my budget last through the month. Prices aren't that great so far.

Anyway I did get the Subsurface Shaders and the Japanese Maples. Picked up Chez Lucille Hair Salon and DA Palm Island yesterday. Wew! I need to stop until next week. I also got Elianeck Lights Package 2 but will return it as the HDRs are really low rez and don't do much of anything. I bought it because her renders on DeviantArt are really beautiful using her lights. 

I'm going to play with the Subsurface Shaders and will post some stuff later. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I've bought nothing at all during March Madness. LOL. None of the products have been real "must-haves" for me, and the sale isn't very "Mad" at all.  

Novica said:

Wow, Whiskers for Genesis 3 Males looks like a great facial hair product! The hair looks so touchable! 

I've bought a few things during MM but overall this sale isn't Madness. It seems the same as every sale year round. Basing the extra 10% off if you bought a highly stylized character like The Girl 7 wasn't motivation enough for me to get something I wouldn't use. So far, some of the vendors have put out really nice products, that hair salon by Slosh is very impressive. I picked up the island, don't know when I'll render it, but I needed something on a small scale. What have you folks bought? I got the Whiskers, Hunting Drake, and Subsurface product, although that ketchup should look more like the hot sauce. (Look at the promo- IMO the hot sauce looks more like ketchup, and the ketchup looks a bit like plastic to me. Too hard.)  Looks like a fun product though. I've got to ask if these work in Reality.  

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Interesting that you plan on returning that Lights 2 package. I got her first but to tell the truth, I don't use it. I was going to return it but by the time I used it, it was past the return date. Was very disappointed with them - icons didn't match the hdri's to be honest, and they look absolutely nothing like the promos.  

luci45 said:

I bought a few things already though I'm trying hard to make my budget last through the month. Prices aren't that great so far.

Anyway I did get the Subsurface Shaders and the Japanese Maples. Picked up Chez Lucille Hair Salon and DA Palm Island yesterday. Wew! I need to stop until next week. I also got Elianeck Lights Package 2 but will return it as the HDRs are really low rez and don't do much of anything. I bought it because her renders on DeviantArt are really beautiful using her lights. 

I'm going to play with the Subsurface Shaders and will post some stuff later. 

Seems like we're all buying about the same things. I did get the poses too Rich, forgot about that one. There's been a nice variety so far- but one thing I'm noticing is there seems to be very few characters for all the figures we had released. Remember that blitz when there were so many within a short period of time? Eva, Karen, etc? Whatever was released at that time has been pretty much it. There were so many that I get confused and have to look at who is who- and that never used to happen. Of course, there's no mistaking Girl 7. (Didn't buy her either.) 

Luci45, looking forward to seeing what you do with the shaders. If you folks render your new stuff, would love to see it! I'll try to do some this weekend too. The island would be my first to tackle, I'll try that for tomorrow. 

Rich- I'll be honest, sometimes I like the faces better in Iray and sometimes in Reality. This weekend I will do IBL with mesh lights (the Uma one only had mesh) and you'll see what they look like. To me, the translucency of the skin seems more apparent, with the skin less clay-looking than Iray. You wouldn't notice it unless you tried Reality, then it rather hits home IMO. And OMGosh, to move sliders for F stop, ISO, shutter speed- and have the scene change AS YOU DO IT- no pausing like in Iray to tweak then restart (which I think is also awesome! What advancements over the old studio, with render, stop, change, start over!)

I have NOT piddled with materials yet, I am still focusing on lighting (that's how I learn. I tackle one thing to death until I can do it forward and backward, then add another element to learn.) But Paolo has been on the Reality thread every day and babystepping us through it, so it's wonderful to have help from the creator of it. Would I recommend Reality? You betcha, I think I'm primarily switching over to it. You can't really tell from my newbie renders how good it is (no material tweaking yet) but changing the lighting settings on the fly is a BIGGIE. 

I haven't rendered Genesis 3 Females in Reality, so I'm loading up Kathy and Summer in the Abigail Outfit. Check back. Will do them in Iray with good lighting (the HDRI) and with the IBL in Reality.

This discussion has been closed.