DSON Importer for Poser 1.0.0.13 is now available!

Comments

• edited December 1969

Did you move all four files - the cr2, the png, the py and the duf files?

I moved the complete folder of pose or material files for a specific character

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

greyson5 said:
    Did you move all four files - the cr2, the png, the py and the duf files?

I moved the complete folder of pose or material files for a specific character

I'd move them back to were they were, then study how all these files work together before you start moving things. This is a pretty complex setup so you can't move them like they were regular poser files. Most importantly the python in the files need to know where the other files are.

Resist the urge to start organizing before you know what that's going to affect.

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

HEY PEOPLE!

If you are NOT used to DS and the "DS Way" of putting anything anywhere, you better create a completely separate RUNTIME just for the entirety of this DAZ GENESIS stuff. If you use one of your own existing runtimes, you will find it suddenly overrun with hap-hazardly placed folders of stuff throughout your runtime. And if you aren't used to organizing your own runtime, you're stuffed! POSER will NOT co-exist well with this messy arrangement!

Bottom line;

CREATE A NEW RUNTIME EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE USE OF THIS DAZ GENESIS STUFF!

(no, I am NOT a happy camper. Not only does this foul the Poser runtime structure, it has yet to work.)

edited October 2012

McGrandpa said:
    HEY PEOPLE!

If you are NOT used to DS and the "DS Way" of putting anything anywhere, you better create a completely separate RUNTIME just for the entirety of this DAZ GENESIS stuff. If you use one of your own existing runtimes, you will find it suddenly overrun with hap-hazardly placed folders of stuff throughout your runtime. And if you aren't used to organizing your own runtime, you're stuffed! POSER will NOT co-exist well with this messy arrangement!

Bottom line;

CREATE A NEW RUNTIME EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE USE OF THIS DAZ GENESIS STUFF!

(no, I am NOT a happy camper. Not only does this foul the Poser runtime structure, it has yet to work.)

It is NOT putting it anywhere, as DS generally looks in certain places whereas Poser will look everywhere in exchange of a performance hit and eventually prompt you to look for something. You can't do this loose organization with genesis content. That said, don't start moving stuff around until you understand how genesis arranges files.

But it is a good idea to keep content separate so you know you can't move files like the Poser ones.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited October 2012

HUH?! It is POSER that adheres to a strict folder/file structure, DS definitely does not (going by where the installers put things!) This is why some of us Poser users have been begging DAZ for years to quit forcing us to use executable installers and give us zip files instead.

No matter that stuff; POSER cannot use ANYTHING the GENESIS Content installer installs to the runtime. And this stuff isn't for DS, it is supposed to be for POSER.

((and I am *NOT* a newbie!!!!!))

Post edited by McGrandpa on
    edited October 2012

McGrandpa said:
    HUH?! It is POSER that adheres to a strict folder/file structure,

No it doesn't. That's why people can put files anywhere they want in Poser eventually it'll find it. If it was so strict, you wouldn't have people "organizing runtimes". You can't do that with the companion files, so it's probably better to get out of that habit until you know how DSON works.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

There are two parts to the content - the native files, which are needed as the \Data folder contains the geometry and morph data, and the companion files, which are Poser fiels, a python script that they launch, and a duplicate of the DSON user file that the importer actually loads (reading needed assets from the Data and Textures folders). It sounds as if either things aren't going where they should (install both to the folder that holds the "Runtime" folder), or the companion files aren't being installed as well as the core files.

• edited October 2012

I had a variety of clothes tex, character & hair tex all mixed together in the materials folder .

so Isorted them out into seperate folders in one case of I removed several sub folders which were just one folder leading to another & another & another , you get the idea before I actually got to files

now I have used DAZstudio & when you click on genesis & materials you end up with mosaic of all texture files mixed together.

what can I say I like organising things into catagories , v4 textures in one , clothes in another etc

Post edited by ludus210-manica_3cb56d3397 on
  • edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:

No it doesn't. That's why people can put files anywhere they want in Poser eventually it'll find it. If it was so strict, you wouldn't have people "organizing runtimes". You can't do that with the companion files, so it's probably better to get out of that habit until you know how DSON works.

even if you know how dson works you still can organise your runtime,

edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:

Seems clear you don't know Poser very well. What I tried to point out to you is that Poser will not even see POSE files (pz2) if they are in say the CHARACTER folder, nor will it see or show cr2 files if they are not in the Character folder. DS does not obey the same rules. It WILL show poses in the wrong folder even if it won't load them.

Nuff said. I'll be busy for a while scraping this mess out of my working runtime.

McG.

edited October 2012

McGrandpa said:

Seems clear you don't know Poser very well. What I tried to point out to you is that Poser will not even see POSE files (pz2) if they are in say the CHARACTER folder, nor will it see or show cr2 files if they are not in the Character folder.

Unfortunately you're talking file types and the fact that Poser is looking at file types in a directory, but has nothing to do with how strict placement of those files are when it's being parsed. Your content can still be all over the place because Poser is looking through all of your directories for those files if it's not where the poser file says it should be.

DS does not obey the same rules. It WILL show poses in the wrong folder even if it won't load them.

No, you need to understand how the internals of those DSON files are designed becuase it's very strict of where the content SHOULD be, unlike how I just explained above. Within those files is where the strictness should be.

Nuff said. I'll be busy for a while scraping this mess out of my working runtime.

McG.

If you feel more comfortable, put it into a separate runtime but don't move stuff around unless you understand how that file is being PARSED, not organized. Now, nuff said. ;)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:

Seems clear you don't know Poser very well. What I tried to point out to you is that Poser will not even see POSE files (pz2) if they are in say the CHARACTER folder, nor will it see or show cr2 files if they are not in the Character folder. DS does not obey the same rules. It WILL show poses in the wrong folder even if it won't load them.

Poser has allowed its file types to be in any of the libraries since Poser 8. What version of Poser are you using?

• edited December 1969

opening up some tori files , poser versions just say (runPythonScript "Tori V5 Shape.py") Tori V5 Shape.py is right next to this yet it dosnt run , it dosnt say any specific file path, neither does the py file.

so why dont they work if you edit the folder position within the pose library

edited December 1969

greyson5 said:
    opening up some tori files , poser versions just say (runPythonScript "Tori V5 Shape.py") Tori V5 Shape.py is right next to this yet it dosnt run , it dosnt say any specific file path, neither does the py file.

Did you move the .duf file as well?

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:

Poser has allowed its file types to be in any of the libraries since Poser 8. What version of Poser are you using?

That is not completely correct either. You can place poser files arbitrarily in the folders, but you can't save them there. The option to distinguish between the type of save is simply not available. (the + in the character category will ony save a figure, not a pose)

Another thing. Whether Poser searches all over the place is an option in the preferences. You can set it so it won't search anywhere but the location which the poser file says. However - there is so much (older) content with incorrect path preferences, it is best to keep the preference set at deep or shallow, so it will fix the most common ones.

I also think the organization in the DS folder is pretty messy (lots of people folders and presets folders all over the place), but Poser has its own problems with that as well. Obj in geometries and in character and props folders, material files in pose folders, etc.

• edited December 1969

greyson5 said:

Did you move the .duf file as well?

I kept all the files in the same folder , just moved the folders

• edited December 1969

I Uninstalled & re-installed Gabi for V5 , now when I load the Gabi character poser crashes & if I use the materials on a base genesis it all goes invisible no texture applying

so I removed them & created pz2 file to attach the tex to genesis ,

edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    McGrandpa said:

That is not completely correct either. You can place poser files arbitrarily in the folders, but you can't save them there. The option to distinguish between the type of save is simply not available. (the + in the character category will ony save a figure, not a pose)

Yes, that's true (something I find quite annoying, actually), but that's not what McGrandpa was talking about.

edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    McGrandpa said:

Yes, that's true (something I find quite annoying, actually), but that's not what McGrandpa was talking about.

I know, but you were correcting him, and I was correcting you.
    just to avoid people getting the wrong ideas

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

By default, Poser will place content files according to it's more strict runtime conventions. The same happens if you save a character or pose. It will, by default, add the proper extension and place it in the "proper" library.

edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    WimvdB said:
    McGrandpa said:

But, there's no need to correct because the Poser allows the files to be in the same directory; it doesn't matter whether you save them there or not.... the program still allows it, which isn't strict and that's the point.

edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    WimvdB said:
    McGrandpa said:

But, there's no need to correct because the Poser allows the files to be in the same directory; it doesn't matter whether you save them there or not.... the program still allows it, which isn't strict and that's the point.

Yes, there is. It simply does not work like people would expect. You can load, but you cannot SAVE it to the same position and therefore is not recommended.

Apparenty this forum has not changed at all

I'm gone

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

I'm not entirely understanding the issue - looking at the Genesis Essentials content at least all the files are in the appropriate Poser libraries. Which content is lumping them all together in a single library (which is actually what I would prefer for third party content, but I do agree that it's best to try to adhere to standards and then allow those of a more bloody-minded nature to rearrange stuff at their own risk)?

• edited December 1969

I'm trying to not to cause problems with this , all I'm saying I had Gabi, Tori, general poses, duke hair sallymae hair, pinup , posed, elite ponytail, 2 differently named folders for the journey scout & the list goes on all alphabeticaly listed in the pose library. it was getting a bit confusing & I'm only on V5 pro suite

all I did is create a clothes folder for the clothes items
    hair folder for the hair etc

is that wrong

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited October 2012

greyson5 said:
    I'm trying to not to cause problems with this , all I'm saying I had Gabi, Tori, general poses, duke hair sallymae hair, pinup , posed, elite ponytail, 2 differently named folders for the journey scout & the list goes on all alphabeticaly listed in the pose library. it was getting a bit confusing & I'm only on V5 pro suite

all I did is create a clothes folder for the clothes items
    hair folder for the hair etc

is that wrong

Ehm - those poses folder in Poser are holding Poses and MatPoses (a bit of Poser history: in earlier times you had to apply all texturemaps by hand, each time, the Matposes were a circumnavigation for that).
    If you created your hair folder inside the Poses folder and put the for example "duke hair" into the Poses folder, it should work fine.
    If you created it outside or moved those folder in the existing "hair" folders you are out of luck.
    If you mean that doubleclicking the icons in the Poses folders should load the item ... sorry, no.
    To load items go to the Characters (figures), Props or Hair folder and then select the item and apply the textures with the Matposes in the Poses folder.
    (General poses is by the way a collection of real poses.)

I hope I didn't misunderstand what you wrote and that I am not boring you!

Post edited by Kerya on
  • edited December 1969

yes I know there just pose & material settings , I was just using it as an example of how thought the pose & material libraries seem to be getting cluttered.

some do not work even though there still in pose & material libraries, I have not moved anything out of the libraries

my poser only pz2 & mc6 still work normally.

for instance I have the priestess for V4 & genesis, this only uses a v4 texture for both, the morphs added to genesis automaticly & I can use the poser V4 version of the texture poses to add to either

I actually created pz2 files to add gabi V5 texture to genesis yesterday, it works fine. of course it means I lose out on any advanced material settings the creator used , but you cant have everything

I should also point out Gabi V5 didnt work at all even when first installed , the character file crashed poser (so does the dragon) & material settings made genesis invisible, so it wasnt me moving them

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I don't have Gabi, so I don't know about her. Daz is known to have made errors before ...

• peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited December 1969

I find the basics work fine M4,M5,V4,V5 etc. But when it come to the morph shapes (Troll for example)...all I get is a furry human. So I'm missing proper morphs, somewhere. I have installed, both the DSON files and the Poser Companion files to a separate runtime and mapped Poser Pro 2012 to it. The clothes and all work great....but the non-human morphs don't seem to kick in even though they are present in the Morph dials.

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited October 2012

Hi

Was the Daz official Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser thread set to read only? because I can't quote or leave a new response. this thread > http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9405/

I wanted to ask why the Genesis + Poser Products store category is showing a huge amount of items for the Millennium 4 figures,
    surely these don't need DSON updates because they already work in poser and having them listed is just confusing which items have been updated to DSON

this category > http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dson-all/
    if set to 60 items per page everything after the middle of page 3 is Millennium 4 or older

Post edited by adzan on
  • griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

And if you have the same 60 items per page lay out, at the bottom of the second page it lists Epic Wings as being DSON compatable now, but when I reset my wings there was NO poser companion file.