DSON Importer for Poser 1.0.0.13 is now available!

Comments

• TeloxiTeloxi Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Not really a question on the use of the Importer... But does concern the Importer as in the way of tech support.

I got the Importer when it was free. Recently found out it's been debugged and a more recent version has been released. Do I just go download it again or do I have to buy it this time (which I can't hence why I jumped on it when it was free). I like to keep my poser goodies up to date as much as possible and daz keeps changing things up that I never know what to do anymore except ask someone who might know.

Thanks!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

LadySythe said:
    Not really a question on the use of the Importer... But does concern the Importer as in the way of tech support.

I got the Importer when it was free. Recently found out it's been debugged and a more recent version has been released. Do I just go download it again or do I have to buy it this time (which I can't hence why I jumped on it when it was free). I like to keep my poser goodies up to date as much as possible and daz keeps changing things up that I never know what to do anymore except ask someone who might know.

Thanks!

Just reset it in your Itemized Order History, no need to buy it again.

• TeloxiTeloxi Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Thank you :) I like to be sure before I mess something up lol

• TaishoBeeTaishoBee Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    Okay, I think I've figured out how to convert clothing items from D|S to Poser using the Importer, but it looks like Genesis in Poser is going to be a very naked person, unless it's wearing the Magus outfit. I tried converting the BBlsNighty from "Boudoir Bliss," and the result was a ragged, misshapen sack with missing geometry, and which would not scale with the figure when I dial in a different body type (in this case, Basic Child is .400)

So are there any tips for a successful conversion and import? The user guides are pretty obscure (a. is it obvious where any content is located in the libraries? b. when instructed to replace metadata, there's no information on where the existing metadata might be nor on where NEW metadata might be located, nor why this step is even required), plus the entire process is unbelievably ponderous - why wasn't this designed to simply allow the user to click on an item, or better yet, an entire folder, and when choosing to create Poser files, it goes through and does what needs to be done, rather than having the user first figure out where the assets are, save each model separately as a DUF file that they have to figure out the correct name of (the instructions say this should be prefilled, but all that is there is an unchangeable filetype of DUF and no previous filename), and then run the conversion script?

I realize that beggars can't be choosers, but surely, in the interest of retaining customers and attracting new ones, someone thought that maybe it would be good to test this with real users and real content to see if it made any sense, and if it made anything useable in the end?

I'm having this same problem. Were you able to figure it out? I'm still reading this forum thread so I apologize if I haven't seen the answer yet.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Random crashes during preview updates to a previously saved scene. If the scene hasn't been saved the same updates don't crash it. Is this error message meaningful at all?

dsoncrash1.png
    869 x 551 - 328K
    dsoncrash2.png
    354 x 288 - 39K
    dsoncrash3.png
    429 x 429 - 31K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

Hiya,

Well, looks like I solved my own dilemma .... I think the DSON Poser settings need to be tweaked some more. ESP for things like Specular Strength (Poser = Value), Specular Glossiness (Poser = Size) and Bump (and probably Displacement too!).

I worked my ass off last night getting my settings in DS improved for Bruno's eyes, they look about 1000 times better so while I'm extremely pleased with all the tweaks resaving the settings as DSON Poser settings do NOT translate at all even CLOSE to what you see in DS in Poser. It's washed out and a mess. Turns out many of the settings were just simply set to high, esp the Specular Size. Actually Specular Value in Poser does indeed translate as it should but while it can be set lower in DAZ Studio to achieve an effect it needs to be full 1.00000 in Poser to achieve the same effect. Bump maps, as most that use both programs know, can be pretty much turned down quite a bit to achieve a nice enough effect. In DS it's set at 50% on the Iris to make them pop a bit more but not so much to where the highlights break up. In Poser this looks like edged metal. So it's set all the way down to 0.000050 to achieve the same look. But when it's reading the file it comes in at 0.000500. So something is off on how surfaces are translated over .. in my opinion at least! lol

Below is a render in Poser after getting this squared away this AM.... WHEW...

BrunoEyesAdjusted-Poser.jpg
    858 x 836 - 144K
  • PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Next stumbling blocks ... man, this is like pulling teeth without all the fun ...

I spent $75 to buy the M5/V5 combo bundle, in the hopes of getting everything that makes a person a person ;). The first question that pops up out of this is: what UV-mapping do the Poserized versions use? gen 4, gen 5, or something else entirely? Before I loaded the new ones, the Starter Essentials seemed to work with gen 4 maps. After Installing, I tried loading a gen 4 map and it was only 'close,' not 'right' - so I tried "James for M5" and got nostrils on top of his nose and lips for a mustache. The only maps that seem to work are M5 "Phillip" and V5 "Bree" that come with the set.

Only Bree has no genital map at all; the "Anatomy" folder in "Materials" only contains hairy and shaved Phillips. And the scaling of the genital figures doesn't appear to work with the scaling of the figure, even using "Transfer Active Morphs."

I realize that any new technology has bugs, but come on ... this is something that anyone should've tested first! I can see why the importer is free - otherwise, I can see a lot of people asking for their $25 back. In the meantime, the M5/V5 combo bundle is wayyy overpriced @ $75 if all the buyer gets is Barbie and Ken, and even our existing character sets, or ones labeled as this same generation, can't be used on the figures.

Gen4_NOT.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 79K
    James_NOT.jpg
    920 x 469 - 38K
  • griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    Next stumbling blocks ... man, this is like pulling teeth without all the fun ...

I spent $75 to buy the M5/V5 combo bundle, in the hopes of getting everything that makes a person a person ;). The first question that pops up out of this is: what UV-mapping do the Poserized versions use? gen 4, gen 5, or something else entirely? Before I loaded the new ones, the Starter Essentials seemed to work with gen 4 maps. After Installing, I tried loading a gen 4 map and it was only 'close,' not 'right' - so I tried "James for M5" and got nostrils on top of his nose and lips for a mustache. The only maps that seem to work are M5 "Phillip" and V5 "Bree" that come with the set.

Only Bree has no genital map at all; the "Anatomy" folder in "Materials" only contains hairy and shaved Phillips. And the scaling of the genital figures doesn't appear to work with the scaling of the figure, even using "Transfer Active Morphs."

I realize that any new technology has bugs, but come on ... this is something that anyone should've tested first! I can see why the importer is free - otherwise, I can see a lot of people asking for their $25 back. In the meantime, the M5/V5 combo bundle is wayyy overpriced @ $75 if all the buyer gets is Barbie and Ken, and even our existing character sets, or ones labeled as this same generation, can't be used on the figures.

Easy answer to your problem, is get Mec4d's UV switcher http://www.mec4d.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=86

It's free and works on genesis in poser.

click on the uv you want to use, genesis will go black apply the texture you want and it will work.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Many thanks, Sunfire!

• foxyladyfoxylady Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know if Daz is going to create the .duf files for some of the PC items that have been released recently?

I was thinking about getting the cook and waitress items and the other PC items for the 50s now and just wait for the Poser files to be created. I would rather wait for the files than install DS. But if there are no plans to get the PC items converted, then I will skip getting the bundles and just buy the add-on Diner items.

Any ideas or thoughts on the matter?

edited December 1969

They said they were, not sure why the new items aren't coming out that way already unless of course they had them ready to go before they knew DSON was ready to launch.

They'll likely get to things, eventually.

• edited December 1969

Purchasedf dave for M5/Genesis. How does one get this texture into the Genesis figure via DSOn and into poser?

• edited December 1969

Pardon me. I'm coming into this a bit late and just now trying to update to the DSON versions of content I've purchased in the past, for use with the DSON Importer for Poser.

Perhaps I'm being obtuse and I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered already but I'm a little confused by the fact that some products have one, two or three files to download to make them compatible with Studio, Poser , and the DSON Importer. I have been looking for answers to my questions in the DSON literature and the forum threads but I'm just not seeing it. This could be because I'm stressed out by other things at the moment and my patience is on a short fuse.

My questions are...

Why do some products come with three separate files for use with Studio, Poser, and the DSON Importer, and what specifically is the purpose of each file?

For example: The Genesis Bikini now is divide into three files as follows...

-- 13429_GenesisBikini_1.4_trx.exe
    -- 13429_GenesisBikiniLegacy_1.4_trx.exe
    -- 13429_GenesisBikiniPoserCF_1.4_dpc.exe

If I'm using both Studio and Poser do I want to install all three files?

What specifically is the purpose of the "Legacy" file?

Thank you.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

simply put, if your using DS 4.5 ignore the legacy files. They are for DS 4.0...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Legacy: DS4.0
    DSON core (sometimes without any DSON in the name): DS4.5 and (if you have it) Poser
    PoserCF: Poser

• edited December 1969

Thank you RAMWolff and Kerya. Questions answered.

• Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

If i dont use poser i dont need the dson files right. I only use ds

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

If i dont use poser i dont need the dson files right. I only use ds

You don't need the Poser Companion Files. The other DAZ files are the files DS uses now. DSON is actually DS 4.5's new file format. The Importer just allows Poser to use them too.

• PsychoNautPsychoNaut Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

DAZ... You've pretty much got me back. I didn't really "leave" I just couldn't use your newer stuff until now. I'm halfway through a render in poser pro 2012. This was very painless. I'm quite impressed, actually. Thank you, and I hope to enjoy V5. I really like Genesis' shoulders. Especially the front, where the delt area fades into the pectoral area (for females). That area is quite the improvement on V4, which wasn't bad to begin with. Again thanks!

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

Is there any sort of smoothing modifier script that is supposed to be part of the Poser DSON scripting that I'm missing?

When Genesis clothing is autofit in Poser, the clothes get crunched/mangled around the breasts and crotch area. This doesn't happen in D|S because most of the time the smoothing modifier is set to 10+.

edited December 1969

Is there any sort of smoothing modifier script that is supposed to be part of the Poser DSON scripting that I'm missing?

When Genesis clothing is autofit in Poser, the clothes get crunched/mangled around the breasts and crotch area. This doesn't happen in D|S because most of the time the smoothing modifier is set to 10+.

To my knoweledge there is no autofit in Poser. You have to conform the clothing item to Genesis, and then go to the python menu to the DSON importer and then pick the transfer active morphs.

edited December 1969

Sunfire said:

To my knoweledge there is no autofit in Poser. You have to conform the clothing item to Genesis, and then go to the python menu to the DSON importer and then pick the transfer active morphs.

That's what I'm talking about. Sorry. That wasn't clear. Once the morphs are transferred in Poser, the mesh looked crumpled pretty much the same as in DS4.5Pro without the smoothing modifier on. I'm curious to know if there is supposed to be some sort of DSON script to add a smoothing modifier to Genesis clothing after running the "transfer active morphs" script.

edited December 1969

Sunfire said:

That's what I'm talking about. Sorry. That wasn't clear. Once the morphs are transferred in Poser, the mesh looked crumpled pretty much the same as in DS4.5Pro without the smoothing modifier on. I'm curious to know if there is supposed to be some sort of DSON script to add a smoothing modifier to Genesis clothing after running the "transfer active morphs" script.

Are these Genesis clothes, or clothes for other characters?

edited November 2012

Genesis clothing. (DSON-compatible)

It's mainly an issue with skirts around the crotch area. Also, sometimes it happens around the lower bust area.

It doesn't happen on plain ole gray Genesis. It's on morphed Genesis (with morphs transferred to the clothing).

Two examples of gene pool morphs where this happens: Aiko 3 and the Basic Child. It happens on all of the women in particular but it's very obvious on those two.

Textures sometimes obscure the problem. The skirt has to be longer than a short miniskirt to see it.

Again, it's not an issue in DS because of the smoothing modifier.

Post edited by andolaurina on
    edited December 1969

Genesis clothing. (DSON-compatible)

It's mainly an issue with skirts around the crotch area. Also, sometimes it happens around the lower bust area.

It doesn't happen on plain ole gray Genesis. It's on morphed Genesis (with morphs transferred to the clothing).

Two examples of gene pool morphs where this happens: Aiko 3 and the Basic Child. It happens on all of the women in particular but it's very obvious on those two.

Textures sometimes obscure the problem. The skirt has to be longer than a short miniskirt to see it.

Again, it's not an issue in DS because of the smoothing modifier.

Once you've got your pose picked and your clothing transferred and all, you might be able to use the morph brush to smooth things. I've had some luck with it, I suspect my lack of regular luck comes from a lack of regular use.

edited December 1969

Yeah, I use the morph brush all the time. But for some reason, Genesis slows down Poser to a crawl for me. (am I the only one?) So, it can take a long time to use the morph brush to fix it. I was hoping there was some easier way. (i.e. some smoothing modifier script for DSON I didn't know about!) :)

edited December 1969

Yeah, I use the morph brush all the time. But for some reason, Genesis slows down Poser to a crawl for me. (am I the only one?) So, it can take a long time to use the morph brush to fix it. I was hoping there was some easier way. (i.e. some smoothing modifier script for DSON I didn't know about!) :)

Turn subdivision off while posing, saving, etc., and only turn it back on for rendering. From what I've read, that should solve the slowness problem.

edited December 1969

I have heard others have a lot of slow down, but I've not noticed a lot of slow down.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Slow DSONed Genesis in Poser?

Try these:

If your viewport is moving too slowly, you can set the figure's subdivision to “OFF” while you work within the scene. Turn it back to its previous value before you render. Genesis defaults to SubDivision Level 1. (This can also be set in MeshResolution > SubDivision Level in the Parameter Pane.)

and

If anybody has had problems with PP2012 becoming unresponsive when Genesis is loaded, go into your General Preferences and see if Multi-threaded Bending is checked. If it is, uncheck it. I had it checked and didn’t notice much when other figures were loaded as I have a quad core laptop. Since unchecking it I haven’t had any issues. (Touch wood!)

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Slow DSONed Genesis in Poser?

Try these:

If your viewport is moving too slowly, you can set the figure's subdivision to “OFF” while you work within the scene. Turn it back to its previous value before you render. Genesis defaults to SubDivision Level 1. (This can also be set in MeshResolution > SubDivision Level in the Parameter Pane.)

and

If anybody has had problems with PP2012 becoming unresponsive when Genesis is loaded, go into your General Preferences and see if Multi-threaded Bending is checked. If it is, uncheck it. I had it checked and didn’t notice much when other figures were loaded as I have a quad core laptop. Since unchecking it I haven’t had any issues. (Touch wood!)

The importer gets incredibly slow when you add a couple of genesis figures. I you add one, set subdivision to 0, add and conform clothing and do this with 5 or more figures, it slows down to a crawl for each new item you add. It not only costs huge amount of memory, but adding a new items takes a few minutes when you get over 5 figures. Doing the same with gen4 figures costs just a few seconds and uses a lot less memory
    Once it is loaded, it behaves like the gen4 figures, it is just the importer which gets very, very slow