My Lease Is Nearly Up On The Complaint Thread

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

MistyMist said:

does color from the environment dome image bleed on to leo7?

the dome image is like a ruddy desert on the lower half.  ? Utah desert?

dome image dessert lol, cherrie pie

Yes that's the idea, is like using Image Based Lighting (IBL I think it is called), for interiors you are better off using a practical/actual like a big lamp/sphere set to emissive and work on from there, at least you will be able to see what;s going on.

Complaint: burned my index finger on light barndoor, ouch ouch ouch iz hot hot hot :0

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    Jan19 said:

My lease is nearly up on the Complaint Thread?  What'll we do without a Complaint Thread?

Definite complaint:  I can't fix a slow draining kitchen sink.  And I can't repipe the T under the sink.  Leaks galore. 

Plumber on the way, thank goodness.  That's one experiment I'll never try again.

My ownership is almost over, the Complaint Thread will survive under new management.

• Non-complaint:  It's been exactly two months since I cancelled my DISH-TV.  I don't even have an antenna so all I get for TV is NetFlix and NetFlix DVD.  What I've noticed is an increase in my peace and quiet and lack of random noise in the background.  No commercials!  Nobody screaming "0% Financing", no "full story at 11", no drug hawkers trying to convince me that I should buy their product despite the over-clocked disclaimer that essentially says "taking this might make you dead".

Occasionaly I feel that I need to catch up on news (although I don't know why) and I log into a website to see if the world has ended yet.  The static ads are an irritant but the articles are usually sufficient to allay my fears (or stoke them). However, when I click on a video, every freakin' one of them is preceded by a loud fast advertisement assaulting my calmness, and I'm thrust back into the screaming world of 0% financing.  I tend to believe that one of their purposes is to numb us to the news that will follow.

But that said, since having abandoned DISH-TV I've discovered a whole new world of commercial free drama, mysteries, comedies, bad cartoons and old long dead shows, that I can search through to find something viewable.  Yes, many of them are pure crap.  But when I find a gem and especially a series of gems like "Doc Martin", "Vera", "Wallander", to name just a few I add it to NetFlix's "MyList" which has now grown long enough to last me through the winter.  Some of those shows were originally on the high price networks like HBO or STARS or SHOTIME.  A lot of them were on the BBC-America that I had to pay extra to DISH to get their 200+ selection.  The biggest advantage of this type of viewing is that you can watch the series in order, from the beginning, on demand if you have adequate Internet service.  I can go back and find old episodes of my favorite shows that I know I missed 20 years ago.  It's a virtual smorgasboard of TV.

I'd had enough.  I couldn't afford $100/month so bye-bye DISH-TV.  I'm already paying for adequate Internet service so the extra cost of the combination of NetFlix and NetFlix-DVD is only about $20/month.  I save $80/month and I have peace and quiet in my home without continual blathering in the background.  The TV runs only when I am sitting in front of it and nobody is telling me to buy anything.  And when I tell you that I also listen to the Buffalo classical radio station "WNED" (via internet) http://tunein.com/radio/Classical-945-s21414/ that is essentially commercial free, you can understand that my brain has been de-commercialized and I didn't even go through any prolonged period of withdrawal symptoms. smiley

LOL!  I found the same peace in my house five years ago, except I haven't watched actual television since 2010.  We discarded all of the TVs in my house after removing DISH-TV.  I have Xfinity internet only (which Comcast looks at me cross-eyed after I tell them with great vehemence just how much I abhor television in every way every time they try to offer triple-play packages to me).

These days my visual entertainment comes from YouTube (selected programs) and Amazon Prime if I'm pecking for a free movie that I give a care about.

By the by, this is the craziest post that I've discovered tonight in my insomnia web-browsing.  Random much?  I love it!

heart

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

I cut the cord over five years ago. Peace and quiet is nice. When I want conflict, I'll watch "Combat" on youtube. Or open my back door and listen to my neighbors far distant voices wafting drunkenly over the cool night air. There's a reason TV was called "The Idiot Box".

I will admit to having the entire "Dick Van Dyke" show on blu-ray.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited September 2016

Non-complaint:  It's been exactly two months since I cancelled my DISH-TV.  I don't even have an antenna so all I get for TV is NetFlix and NetFlix DVD.  What I've noticed is an increase in my peace and quiet and lack of random noise in the background.  No commercials!  Nobody screaming "0% Financing", no "full story at 11", no drug hawkers trying to convince me that I should buy their product despite the over-clocked disclaimer that essentially says "taking this might make you dead".

Occasionaly I feel that I need to catch up on news (although I don't know why) and I log into a website to see if the world has ended yet.  The static ads are an irritant but the articles are usually sufficient to allay my fears (or stoke them). However, when I click on a video, every freakin' one of them is preceded by a loud fast advertisement assaulting my calmness, and I'm thrust back into the screaming world of 0% financing.  I tend to believe that one of their purposes is to numb us to the news that will follow.

But that said, since having abandoned DISH-TV I've discovered a whole new world of commercial free drama, mysteries, comedies, bad cartoons and old long dead shows, that I can search through to find something viewable.  Yes, many of them are pure crap.  But when I find a gem and especially a series of gems like "Doc Martin", "Vera", "Wallander", to name just a few I add it to NetFlix's "MyList" which has now grown long enough to last me through the winter.  Some of those shows were originally on the high price networks like HBO or STARS or SHOTIME.  A lot of them were on the BBC-America that I had to pay extra to DISH to get their 200+ selection.  The biggest advantage of this type of viewing is that you can watch the series in order, from the beginning, on demand if you have adequate Internet service.  I can go back and find old episodes of my favorite shows that I know I missed 20 years ago.  It's a virtual smorgasboard of TV.

I'd had enough.  I couldn't afford $100/month so bye-bye DISH-TV.  I'm already paying for adequate Internet service so the extra cost of the combination of NetFlix and NetFlix-DVD is only about $20/month.  I save $80/month and I have peace and quiet in my home without continual blathering in the background.  The TV runs only when I am sitting in front of it and nobody is telling me to buy anything.  And when I tell you that I also listen to the Buffalo classical radio station "WNED" (via internet) http://tunein.com/radio/Classical-945-s21414/ that is essentially commercial free, you can understand that my brain has been de-commercialized and I didn't even go through any prolonged period of withdrawal symptoms. smiley

LOL!  I found the same peace in my house five years ago, except I haven't watched actual television since 2010.  We discarded all of the TVs in my house after removing DISH-TV.  I have Xfinity internet only (which Comcast looks at me cross-eyed after I tell them with great vehemence just how much I abhor television in every way every time they try to offer triple-play packages to me).

These days my visual entertainment comes from YouTube (selected programs) and Amazon Prime if I'm pecking for a free movie that I give a care about.

By the by, this is the craziest post that I've discovered tonight in my insomnia web-browsing.  Random much?  I love it!

heart

This is big right now (really!)  "This may be the apex of the "slow internet" — a genre that's gaining viral traction, no matter how oxymoronic its name may be" (Chicago Trib) (click livestream icon if it comes up)

eta a bit like watching a Sam Beckett play

Post edited by ps1borg on
  • Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited September 2016
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:

My lease is nearly up on the Complaint Thread?  What'll we do without a Complaint Thread?

Definite complaint:  I can't fix a slow draining kitchen sink.  And I can't repipe the T under the sink.  Leaks galore. 

Plumber on the way, thank goodness.  That's one experiment I'll never try again.

My ownership is almost over, the Complaint Thread will survive under new management.

laugh​  Smart move.  Turning all of us loose in the other threads with no outlet might not be a good idea.

LeatherGryphon said that once, in different words.  I agree 100%. 

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

The Iray Shadows Complaint Thread

The It's Dark in my Optimized for Iray Purchased Set Complaint Thread

The Ruddy Complaint Thread

ps1borg said:

MistyMist said:

does color from the environment dome image bleed on to leo7?

the dome image is like a ruddy desert on the lower half.  ? Utah desert?

dome image dessert lol, cherrie pie

Yes that's the idea, is like using Image Based Lighting (IBL I think it is called), for interiors you are better off using a practical/actual like a big lamp/sphere set to emissive and work on from there, at least you will be able to see what;s going on.

Complaint: burned my index finger on light barndoor, ouch ouch ouch iz hot hot hot :0

trying again with a plain white dome.

except it doesn't light inside the room. 

i don't think there IDL in iray.  
    can't fake GI without an ambient light and ambient occlusion 
    or ability to assign a light to objects and tell it don't cast shadows, unless i missed seeing it ??

complaint - tummy bottomless pit this morning. ate all my starbucks snacks. 
    veggie fruit fruit, veggie veggie fruit fruit

banging forks on my iray table
    food waiter waiter, don't fall asleep on yoo feet

blaming iray for my tummy ache 

get off my lawn whippersnappers 

gingersnappers? 

edited September 2016

ah haa  http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/surfaces/shaders/iray_uber_shader/shader_general_concepts/start#metallic_flakes_weight

Base Mixing - Iray has the ability to use 3 separate types of shader mixing.

ahaa haaaa

Luminance Units - This is a list of units of measurement for the emission illumination. Several choices are available. Use whichever you are most comfortable with.

• cd/m^2 - candela per square meter

• kcd/m^2 - kilocandela per square meter

• cd/ft^2 - candela per square foot

• cd/cm^2 - candela per square centimeter

• lm - lumen, measures the total amount of light emitted over the whole surface.

• W - watts, measures the total amount of light emitted over the whole surface

• Lumen Efficiency - How many Lumens/watt. Fifteen (15) is a good setting for average tungsten.

Post edited by Mistara on
    ps1borg said:

Non-complaint:  It's been exactly two months since I cancelled my DISH-TV.  I don't even have an antenna so all I get for TV is NetFlix and NetFlix DVD.  What I've noticed is an increase in my peace and quiet and lack of random noise in the background.  No commercials!  Nobody screaming "0% Financing", no "full story at 11", no drug hawkers trying to convince me that I should buy their product despite the over-clocked disclaimer that essentially says "taking this might make you dead".

heart

This is big right now (really!)  "This may be the apex of the "slow internet" — a genre that's gaining viral traction, no matter how oxymoronic its name may be" (Chicago Trib) (click livestream icon if it comes up)

The Quantum Leap guy?  aka Captain Archer.

well, fun over, need to work for my bread and butter and beer.

think i have my database table all sorted out.  now for the interface.  
    it's a knowlege base, dunno if i can make it pretty?
    garbage in, garbage out, need to design it with some business rulez so they can find their notes when they need it.

• ps1borg said:

heart

Omigolly-gosh! <--sorry so, Ned Flanders-ish.  I don't want my post deleted for breaking ToS.

That is ultimately hilarious!   Hahaha!  At first I was looking for the point in the link, then I realized I was watching an intersection in live stream.

Do people really watch that all day, because if so - I live in New Jersey - the idiot driving captial of the world  [Everyone hates us...] 

I could become rich just by setting up a few live streams around my neighborhood - at those notorious circles that we have.  Hahaha!

laugh

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,174
    edited September 2016
    ps1borg said:

heart

Omigolly-gosh! <--sorry so, Ned Flanders-ish.  I don't want my post deleted for breaking ToS.

That is ultimately hilarious!   Hahaha!  At first I was looking for the point in the link, then I realized I was watching an intersection in live stream.

Do people really watch that all day, because if so - I live in New Jersey - the idiot driving captial of the world  [Everyone hates us...] 

I could become rich just by setting up a few live streams around my neighborhood - at those notorious circles that we have.  Hahaha!

laugh

Ah, New Jersy intersections.  The place with no left turns.  surprise  Been there, done that, still confused.  Perhaps there's a reason, but I've never seen it anywhere else, doesn't seem to be catching on.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited September 2016
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

Ah, New Jersy intersections.  The place with no left turns.  surprise  Been there, done that, still confused.  Perhaps there's a reason, but I've never seen it anywhere else, doesn't seem to be catching on.

Are those called "one-way streets," by chance? smiley

I don't like those either.

Post edited by Jan19 on
    edited September 2016

Sink Saga -- wow, this is hilarious.

I fought with that sink for days, and the plumbers fixed it in 30 minutes. laugh

Including the leaks in my re-pipe experiment.  How does one put a washer in backwards?

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

Hahaha!  Yeah, I know.  My dad hailed from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania all his life. 

When he came to visit on weekends, he used to flip out while driving down our state roads and rural highways filled with jughandles, non-regulated circles with only a yield sign on each entry point, and the totally unneccessary left hand enter/exit lanes (not talking about interstate roads either, where that highway system of left hand entry/exit is common). 

He always got so totally lost just trying to find his way back to the PA Turnpike.  It was a very verbally colorful car-ride anywhere with him to say the least until we reached the Ben Franklin Bridge toll gate... then, he'd calm slightly down for some nomimal Philly road rage driver language.

And we (NJersians) wonder why our car insurance is the highest in the continental US.  (Seriously, it is.  I confirmed this with a California transplant.  Asked her if she paid as much in CA as she did in NJ and she basically replied, "Oh - hey-oo,  no!")

LOL!  Anyway... 

Jan19 said:

I fought with that sink for days, and the plumbers fixed it in 30 minutes. laugh

Including the leaks in my re-pipe experiment.  How does one put a washer in backwards?

My retired engineer brother was trying to fix a leak under the kitchen sink. The whole piping system fell out and our cousin Robbie who does construction including plumbing had to fix it. To be fair, my brother is an "electrical" engineer, so... smiley

edited September 2016
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

We call those jug handles.  
    the long island parkways haz them too.
    that's when you want 8 cylinders,
    4 cylinders just not strong enough to ramp up to traffice speed. end up sitting on the ramp, waiting, rule35, no one is going to let you cut in.

those big tractor trailer trucks trying to get on the parkways, see them trying to back up on the jughandle, empathies of pain

right Mcgyver? wink

dunno if it's true anymore, heard NJ doesn't let yoo pump your own gas, was all full service

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,704

A penny saved is a penny earned lot of nothing

• Aiijuin GraphicsAiijuin Graphics Posts: 171
    edited September 2016

It's so true.  And so is a dime.  I haven't seen a phone booth for years -- let alone requiring dimes, and I haven't seen any vending machine anywhere accepting pennies in the last 20 years or so....

Post edited by Aiijuin Graphics on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,704

It's so true.  And so is a dime.  I haven't seen a phone booth for years requiring dimes, and I haven't seen any vending machine anywhere accepting pennies in the last 20 years or so....

There are vending machines in the mall.  The candy ones only take quarters but not sure about the soda vending machine as it almost always out of order.

• Aiijuin GraphicsAiijuin Graphics Posts: 171
    edited September 2016
    MistyMist said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

We call those jug handles.  
    the long island parkways haz them too.
    that's when you want 8 cylinders,
    4 cylinders just not strong enough to ramp up to traffice speed. end up sitting on the ramp, waiting, rule35, no one is going to let you cut in.

those big tractor trailer trucks trying to get on the parkways, see them trying to back up on the jughandle, empathies of pain

right Mcgyver? wink

dunno if it's true anymore, heard NJ doesn't let yoo pump your own gas, was all full service

We no pump gas in NJ. 

Is illegal - unless your are a CDL-A truck driver (or some other commercial driver).  We have certain privellages, just not in our Class-D everyman vehicles (Fords, Chevy, Dodge, Foreign etc...)

As to the truck drivers - I was a tractor-trailer driver for 2 years with Werner Enterprises, JB Hunt, and Riggins Fuel from 2006-2008`ish.  I had to the drive a 53" foot box truck and a Peterbuilt 379 (101 feet of truck total) down the dreaded QE Xpressway three or four times  a week (during rush hour: 6am-9pm?) for deliveries to SI.  Oh geez-louise, talk about frustration in a nutshell! 

Never was I so glad to be dispatched to Texas roads and their 75 MPH speed zones after getting locked into 2 MPH trying to move down any road after Exit 10 on the NJ TP towards Secaucus, 440, and all places NY (city zones).

--Edit: It was a 48" foot - 5 baffled walled tanker for Riggins Fuel, since I delivered fuel, oil, diesel, and kerosine with them plus a Daycab driver, so my truck was not as long here, but QE Expressway was still just as horrific into Staten Island & Long Island (which is really, really, long).

Post edited by Aiijuin Graphics on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,174
    edited September 2016
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

Well, there are places in New Olreans that are full of consecutive one-way streets all the same way.  You think "hmmm... one way, wrong direction".  So you figure you go up one more block and you'll find a street going the other direction.  WRONG!  two or three streets later and still no street going the other direction you decide that "you can't get there from here".  Oy!

But no, in New Jersey I'm talking about coming to an intersection that is clearly a two way street but you are not permitted to turn left.  You have to go through the intersection about a half a block, turn right, then turn right, then turn right again and viola! you're going the direction you wanted to go.  Sometimes instead of the three rights, they have the first right, then a twisty little street that wanders between some buildings and eventually dumps you onto the cross road in the direction you wanted to go if you'd been allowed to turn left when you first arrived at the intersection (and waited for the light).  It's all so confusing and poorly marked, but I'm sure it is obvious to the residents of the area.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

Well, there are places in New Olreans that are full of consecutive one-way streets all the same way.  You think "hmmm... one way, wrong direction".  So you figure you go up one more block and you'll find a street going the other direction.  WRONG!  two or three streets later and still no street going the other direction you decide that "you can't get there from here".  Oy!

But no, in New Jersey I'm talking about coming to an intersection that is clearly a two way street but you are not permitted to turn left.  You have to go through the intersection about a half a block, turn right, then turn right, then turn right again and viola! you're going the direction you wanted to go.  Sometimes instead of the three rights, they have the first right, then a twisty little street that wanders between some buildings and eventually dumps you onto the cross road in the direction you wanted to go if you'd been allowed to turn left when you first arrived at the intersection (and waited for the light).  It's all so confusing and poorly marked, but I'm sure it is obvious to the residents of the area.

Jughandles.  Every intersection on Route 38, Route 73 (South Jersey), Route 130, and some parts of Route 1 & 9 in North Jersey have this kind of setup.  At a major intersection of one of those roads - you cannot turn left, but need to be in the far right hand lane in order to go left.

After the light turns green - you pull forward into a jughandle that says, "All Traffic going to 'road name' - turn right here" or some such thing like that.  You pull around into a twisty, turny or loopty-loo and reach a Yield.  From there, you turn right again into the flow of traffic.  Then, you merge into traffic when the light turns green on your side.

From this point you need three pairs of eyes and two sets of hands:

One set of eyes to watch your mirrors, one set of eyes to watch in front of you, one set of eyes to watch your sides as you are competed against in the merging lane - and seguewayed into a single lane again. 

Also, you need to steer with one set of hands, and pray that everyone else around you is paying attention with the other set of hands.

Yup!  And that's how we drive. 

Now you know why NJ breeds mutants.  We need those extra appendages in order to navigate our own neighborhoods.  Plus - the rumors are true... we glow in the dark.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

Sounds like what we call a one way system here in the UK.   They can be very confusing the first half dozen or six times you go round them, but eventually you do learn the way.   That of course is when the PTB decide tho change the one way system.

• Chohole said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

Sounds like what we call a one way system here in the UK.   They can be very confusing the first half dozen or six times you go round them, but eventually you do learn the way.   That of course is when the PTB decide tho change the one way system.

So, is this scene actually not exaggerated?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,579
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

...you wouldn't like Portland OR then, especially the downtown area.  A lot of side streets in the surrounding neighbourhoods are narrow enough to be one way as well. On the street in front of my place, cars have to give way to each other at intersections.  Some streets are so narrow (with parking on both sides) there's not even room to ride a bike when a car is coming the other way.  I don't know how people managed back in the days when the size of the average car was larger than it is today.

edited September 2016
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:

My retired engineer brother was trying to fix a leak under the kitchen sink. The whole piping system fell out and our cousin Robbie who does construction including plumbing had to fix it. To be fair, my brother is an "electrical" engineer, so... smiley

Uh huh.  Did your brother enjoy seeing his "Oh, hell, I can do anything" streak humiliated?

I sure did.  smiley  Especially when the plumber told me nicely to stick to what I knew and not be offended because he and his sidekick fixed the sink so quick. 

ROFL

Post edited by Jan19 on
This discussion has been closed.