My Lease Is Nearly Up On The Complaint Thread

Comments

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

Non-complaint:  It's been exactly two months since I cancelled my DISH-TV.  I don't even have an antenna so all I get for TV is NetFlix and NetFlix DVD.  What I've noticed is an increase in my peace and quiet and lack of random noise in the background.  No commercials!  Nobody screaming "0% Financing", no "full story at 11", no drug hawkers trying to convince me that I should buy their product despite the over-clocked disclaimer that essentially says "taking this might make you dead".

Occasionaly I feel that I need to catch up on news (although I don't know why) and I log into a website to see if the world has ended yet.  The static ads are an irritant but the articles are usually sufficient to allay my fears (or stoke them). However, when I click on a video, every freakin' one of them is preceded by a loud fast advertisement assaulting my calmness, and I'm thrust back into the screaming world of 0% financing.  I tend to believe that one of their purposes is to numb us to the news that will follow.

But that said, since having abandoned DISH-TV I've discovered a whole new world of commercial free drama, mysteries, comedies, bad cartoons and old long dead shows, that I can search through to find something viewable.  Yes, many of them are pure crap.  But when I find a gem and especially a series of gems like "Doc Martin", "Vera", "Wallander", to name just a few I add it to NetFlix's "MyList" which has now grown long enough to last me through the winter.  Some of those shows were originally on the high price networks like HBO or STARS or SHOTIME.  A lot of them were on the BBC-America that I had to pay extra to DISH to get their 200+ selection.  The biggest advantage of this type of viewing is that you can watch the series in order, from the beginning, on demand if you have adequate Internet service.  I can go back and find old episodes of my favorite shows that I know I missed 20 years ago.  It's a virtual smorgasboard of TV.

I'd had enough.  I couldn't afford $100/month so bye-bye DISH-TV.  I'm already paying for adequate Internet service so the extra cost of the combination of NetFlix and NetFlix-DVD is only about $20/month.  I save $80/month and I have peace and quiet in my home without continual blathering in the background.  The TV runs only when I am sitting in front of it and nobody is telling me to buy anything.  And when I tell you that I also listen to the Buffalo classical radio station "WNED" (via internet) http://tunein.com/radio/Classical-945-s21414/ that is essentially commercial free, you can understand that my brain has been de-commercialized and I didn't even go through any prolonged period of withdrawal symptoms. smiley

LOL!  I found the same peace in my house five years ago, except I haven't watched actual television since 2010.  We discarded all of the TVs in my house after removing DISH-TV.  I have Xfinity internet only (which Comcast looks at me cross-eyed after I tell them with great vehemence just how much I abhor television in every way every time they try to offer triple-play packages to me).

These days my visual entertainment comes from YouTube (selected programs) and Amazon Prime if I'm pecking for a free movie that I give a care about.

By the by, this is the craziest post that I've discovered tonight in my insomnia web-browsing.  Random much?  I love it!

heart

This is big right now (really!)  "This may be the apex of the "slow internet" — a genre that's gaining viral traction, no matter how oxymoronic its name may be" (Chicago Trib) (click livestream icon if it comes up)

eta a bit like watching a Sam Beckett play

Omigolly-gosh! <--sorry so, Ned Flanders-ish.  I don't want my post deleted for breaking ToS.

That is ultimately hilarious!   Hahaha!  At first I was looking for the point in the link, then I realized I was watching an intersection in live stream.

Do people really watch that all day, because if so - I live in New Jersey - the idiot driving captial of the world  [Everyone hates us...] 

I could become rich just by setting up a few live streams around my neighborhood - at those notorious circles that we have.  Hahaha!

laugh

Ah, New Jersy intersections.  The place with no left turns.  surprise  Been there, done that, still confused.  Perhaps there's a reason, but I've never seen it anywhere else, doesn't seem to be catching on.

Are those called "one-way streets," by chance? smiley

I don't like those either.

Well, there are places in New Olreans that are full of consecutive one-way streets all the same way.  You think "hmmm... one way, wrong direction".  So you figure you go up one more block and you'll find a street going the other direction.  WRONG!  two or three streets later and still no street going the other direction you decide that "you can't get there from here".  Oy!

But no, in New Jersey I'm talking about coming to an intersection that is clearly a two way street but you are not permitted to turn left.  You have to go through the intersection about a half a block, turn right, then turn right, then turn right again and viola! you're going the direction you wanted to go.  Sometimes instead of the three rights, they have the first right, then a twisty little street that wanders between some buildings and eventually dumps you onto the cross road in the direction you wanted to go if you'd been allowed to turn left when you first arrived at the intersection (and waited for the light).  It's all so confusing and poorly marked, but I'm sure it is obvious to the residents of the area.

I went to New O'Awlins once. smiley​  Very hot and muggy, and my husband wouldn't go to the old cemeteries.  Too dangerous, or so he said.  Superstitious rascal.

MistyMist said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

Non-complaint:  It's been exactly two months since I cancelled my DISH-TV.  I don't even have an antenna so all I get for TV is NetFlix and NetFlix DVD.  What I've noticed is an increase in my peace and quiet and lack of random noise in the background.  No commercials!  Nobody screaming "0% Financing", no "full story at 11", no drug hawkers trying to convince me that I should buy their product despite the over-clocked disclaimer that essentially says "taking this might make you dead".

Occasionaly I feel that I need to catch up on news (although I don't know why) and I log into a website to see if the world has ended yet.  The static ads are an irritant but the articles are usually sufficient to allay my fears (or stoke them). However, when I click on a video, every freakin' one of them is preceded by a loud fast advertisement assaulting my calmness, and I'm thrust back into the screaming world of 0% financing.  I tend to believe that one of their purposes is to numb us to the news that will follow.

But that said, since having abandoned DISH-TV I've discovered a whole new world of commercial free drama, mysteries, comedies, bad cartoons and old long dead shows, that I can search through to find something viewable.  Yes, many of them are pure crap.  But when I find a gem and especially a series of gems like "Doc Martin", "Vera", "Wallander", to name just a few I add it to NetFlix's "MyList" which has now grown long enough to last me through the winter.  Some of those shows were originally on the high price networks like HBO or STARS or SHOTIME.  A lot of them were on the BBC-America that I had to pay extra to DISH to get their 200+ selection.  The biggest advantage of this type of viewing is that you can watch the series in order, from the beginning, on demand if you have adequate Internet service.  I can go back and find old episodes of my favorite shows that I know I missed 20 years ago.  It's a virtual smorgasboard of TV.

I'd had enough.  I couldn't afford $100/month so bye-bye DISH-TV.  I'm already paying for adequate Internet service so the extra cost of the combination of NetFlix and NetFlix-DVD is only about $20/month.  I save $80/month and I have peace and quiet in my home without continual blathering in the background.  The TV runs only when I am sitting in front of it and nobody is telling me to buy anything.  And when I tell you that I also listen to the Buffalo classical radio station "WNED" (via internet) http://tunein.com/radio/Classical-945-s21414/ that is essentially commercial free, you can understand that my brain has been de-commercialized and I didn't even go through any prolonged period of withdrawal symptoms. smiley

LOL!  I found the same peace in my house five years ago, except I haven't watched actual television since 2010.  We discarded all of the TVs in my house after removing DISH-TV.  I have Xfinity internet only (which Comcast looks at me cross-eyed after I tell them with great vehemence just how much I abhor television in every way every time they try to offer triple-play packages to me).

These days my visual entertainment comes from YouTube (selected programs) and Amazon Prime if I'm pecking for a free movie that I give a care about.

By the by, this is the craziest post that I've discovered tonight in my insomnia web-browsing.  Random much?  I love it!

heart

This is big right now (really!)  "This may be the apex of the "slow internet" — a genre that's gaining viral traction, no matter how oxymoronic its name may be" (Chicago Trib) (click livestream icon if it comes up)

Omigolly-gosh! <--sorry so, Ned Flanders-ish.  I don't want my post deleted for breaking ToS.

That is ultimately hilarious!   Hahaha!  At first I was looking for the point in the link, then I realized I was watching an intersection in live stream.

Do people really watch that all day, because if so - I live in New Jersey - the idiot driving captial of the world  [Everyone hates us...] 

I could become rich just by setting up a few live streams around my neighborhood - at those notorious circles that we have.  Hahaha!

laugh

Ah, New Jersy intersections.  The place with no left turns.  surprise  Been there, done that, still confused.  Perhaps there's a reason, but I've never seen it anywhere else, doesn't seem to be catching on.

We call those jug handles.  
    the long island parkways haz them too.
    that's when you want 8 cylinders,
    4 cylinders just not strong enough to ramp up to traffice speed. end up sitting on the ramp, waiting, rule35, no one is going to let you cut in.

those big tractor trailer trucks trying to get on the parkways, see them trying to back up on the jughandle, empathies of pain

right Mcgyver? wink

dunno if it's true anymore, heard NJ doesn't let yoo pump your own gas, was all full service

You can hardly find a full service around here.  There's one I go to sometimes, but it's mostly self-serve. 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,704
    Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

Well, there are places in New Olreans that are full of consecutive one-way streets all the same way.  You think "hmmm... one way, wrong direction".  So you figure you go up one more block and you'll find a street going the other direction.  WRONG!  two or three streets later and still no street going the other direction you decide that "you can't get there from here".  Oy!

But no, in New Jersey I'm talking about coming to an intersection that is clearly a two way street but you are not permitted to turn left.  You have to go through the intersection about a half a block, turn right, then turn right, then turn right again and viola! you're going the direction you wanted to go.  Sometimes instead of the three rights, they have the first right, then a twisty little street that wanders between some buildings and eventually dumps you onto the cross road in the direction you wanted to go if you'd been allowed to turn left when you first arrived at the intersection (and waited for the light).  It's all so confusing and poorly marked, but I'm sure it is obvious to the residents of the area.

I went to New O'Awlins once. smiley​  Very hot and muggy, and my husband wouldn't go to the old cemeteries.  Too dangerous, or so he said.  Superstitious rascal.

A lot of people are dying to get in there

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

i did the cemetaries tour when i went to N'Awlins.  
    saw Marie Levau's crypt but they said she wasn't actually there.  

went to the voodoo museum, put coins in the wishing thing, didn't work, no wishes.

coolest thing i saw, can't remember where exactly, it was a worry box.  
    you write down your worry and put in the box, while it's in the box you don't have to worry about your worry; the box is holding the worry, don't need to take it out til it's time to worry about the worry again.

I found a very realistic model of a male betta at the mall today.  I do not know how they made him but his swim patterns are very realistic.  It is so amazing that he was so cheap yet so realistic.

Wish I could make a 3d model after him.

I wish Steve was a real betta. 

MistyMist said:
    Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

went to the voodoo museum, put coins in the wishing thing, didn't work, no wishes.

you write down your worry and put in the box, while it's in the box you don't have to worry about your worry; the box is holding the worry, don't need to take it out til it's time to worry about the worry again.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    Jan19 said:
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:

Sink Saga -- wow, this is hilarious.

I fought with that sink for days, and the plumbers fixed it in 30 minutes. laugh

Including the leaks in my re-pipe experiment.  How does one put a washer in backwards?

My retired engineer brother was trying to fix a leak under the kitchen sink. The whole piping system fell out and our cousin Robbie who does construction including plumbing had to fix it. To be fair, my brother is an "electrical" engineer, so... smiley

Uh huh.  Did your brother enjoy seeing his "Oh, hell, I can do anything" streak humiliated?

I sure did.  smiley  Especially when the plumber told me nicely to stick to what I knew and not be offended because he and his sidekick fixed the sink so quick. 

ROFL

I read it to him and showed him the video. He laughed and told his daughter about it. devil

I see my taxi

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,579

A penny saved is a penny earned lot of nothing

It's so true.  And so is a dime.  I haven't seen a phone booth for years -- let alone requiring dimes, and I haven't seen any vending machine anywhere accepting pennies in the last 20 years or so....

...yeah can't even get a cup of joe for less than 2.50$ - 3$  these days   Pinball which used to be a dime a play or three games for a quarter now costs  50¢ to a 1$.  What few phone booths I've seen charge either 50¢ or 1.00$ depending on the company which operates them. 

The old adage "it's your nickel" came from the days when a local pay phone call was 5¢. (it was still a nickel in New Orleans when I lived there in the late 70s)

Crikey, Superman would have tough time fighting crime these days as not only are there no more "classic" phone booths, but the pay phones in general are becoming a rare species. The closest pay phones I know of from where I live are about half a mile away.

...The Great Scott, Where Do I Change Into My Supersuit Complaint Thread?

...The Hey Brother Can You Spare 1.85$ Complaint Thread?  (the purchasing power of a dime during the Great Depression in today's economy).

...The Honey I Blew Up The Kitchen Unclogging The Sink Complaint Thread.

MistyMist said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

4 cylinders just not strong enough to ramp up to traffice speed. end up sitting on the ramp, waiting, rule35, no one is going to let you cut in.

those big tractor trailer trucks trying to get on the parkways, see them trying to back up on the jughandle, empathies of pain

right Mcgyver? wink

dunno if it's true anymore, heard NJ doesn't let yoo pump your own gas, was all full service

We no pump gas in NJ. 

Is illegal - unless your are a CDL-A truck driver (or some other commercial driver).  We have certain privellages, just not in our Class-D everyman vehicles (Fords, Chevy, Dodge, Foreign etc...)

...same here in Oregon. 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    kyoto kid said:

It's so true.  And so is a dime.  I haven't seen a phone booth for years -- let alone requiring dimes, and I haven't seen any vending machine anywhere accepting pennies in the last 20 years or so....

...yeah can't even get a cup of joe for less than 2.50$ - 3$  these days   Pinball which used to be a dime a play or three games for a quarter now costs  50¢ to a 1$.  What few phone booths I've seen charge either 50¢ or 1.00$ depending on the company which operates them. 

The old adage "it's your nickel" came from the days when a local pay phone call was 5¢. (it was still a nickel in New Orleans when I lived there in the late 70s)

Crikey, Superman would have tough time fighting crime these days as not only are there no more "classic" phone booths, but the pay phones in general are becoming a rare species. The closest pay phones I know of from where I live are about half a mile away.

...The Hey Brother Can You Spare 1.85$ Complaint Thread?  (the purchasing power of a dime during the Great Depression in today's economy).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Chohole said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

Sounds like what we call a one way system here in the UK.   They can be very confusing the first half dozen or six times you go round them, but eventually you do learn the way.   That of course is when the PTB decide tho change the one way system.

So, is this scene actually not exaggerated?

LOL    I used to drive around London all day,  and yes it can be a bit of a nightmare if you aren't used to it.   Hyde Park corner R'about would be worse than that one TBH.   Driving in London is an art form.  Himself hated it,  my son used to say to be "OK Mum, let's divide the labour, you drive the van and I will swear at the idiot drivers".  Even my Italian (roman) line manager thiught that I would probably be able to survive driving in Rome.

Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

...hehe yes

• Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

That is awesome!  The Tardis and Superman = Perfect! HAHAHA!

Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Jan19 said:

LOL    I used to drive around London all day,  and yes it can be a bit of a nightmare if you aren't used to it.   Hyde Park corner R'about would be worse than that one TBH.   Driving in London is an art form.  Himself hated it,  my son used to say to be "OK Mum, let's divide the labour, you drive the van and I will swear at the idiot drivers".  Even my Italian (roman) line manager thiught that I would probably be able to survive driving in Rome.

Would it be permissible to borrow your son so I can have him as a co-pilot while navigating the idiot drivers in my area, puh-lease! crying

I need that kind of secondary support in my car, like aways. 

LOL!

• kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

right Mcgyver? wink

We no pump gas in NJ. 

Is illegal - unless your are a CDL-A truck driver (or some other commercial driver).  We have certain privellages, just not in our Class-D everyman vehicles (Fords, Chevy, Dodge, Foreign etc...)

...same here in Oregon. 

Well, if I need to hop over to the West Coast, at least I know where to go in order to avoid having to learn how to open my GMC's gas cap.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

That is awesome!  The Tardis and Superman = Perfect! HAHAHA!

Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Jan19 said:

Would it be permissible to borrow your son so I can have him as a co-pilot while navigating the idiot drivers in my area, puh-lease! crying

I need that kind of secondary support in my car, like aways. 

LOL!

Yes  I do agree,

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Every inch of our garden has turned green and flowers are popping out all over after the super storm rains, radio is saying is the biggest wet for 100 years but I think it said that last tine it rained as well  :)

Steve is in his new condo.  I am leaving him alone for a while.

I think I was given twenty chicken nuggets but I did not count them.  I said I would have chicken nuggets instead of fish fingers (they did not have custard) but I did not mean that many.  I was thinking maybe four to seven nuggets.  I ate a good amount of them and there are still five left.

Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

I hope not. smiley​  I hear those cemeteries in New Orleans are flooded sometimes.  Or used to flood.

MistyMist said:
    Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

We did go to Marie Laveau's house of voodoo.  :-)  They had some very interesting artifacts.

Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

I hope not. smiley​  I hear those cemeteries in New Orleans are flooded sometimes.  Or used to flood.

true, but a lot of people died to get into there.   Sorry it was just a lame joke I heard too  many times.

Q: Why are there a fence around (fill in the blank) cemetery?

A: Because people are dying to get in

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,174
    edited September 2016
    kyoto kid said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

...you wouldn't like Portland OR then, especially the downtown area.  A lot of side streets in the surrounding neighbourhoods are narrow enough to be one way as well. On the street in front of my place, cars have to give way to each other at intersections.  Some streets are so narrow (with parking on both sides) there's not even room to ride a bike when a car is coming the other way.  I don't know how people managed back in the days when the size of the average car was larger than it is today.

Philadelphia, has a lot of very narrow streets, barely able to fit one car down between the buildings.  In any other city they'd be called alleys.  Heaven help you if you're walking in the street and car approaches. image below

Washington DC has several major traffic circles.  The one at DuPont Circle is the biggest & nastiest.  Not a place for timid drivers.  Twelve, count 'em, twelve exits/entrances!

dupont-circle-DC.jpg
    1024 x 547 - 521K
    jessupstreetphiladelphia.jpg
    720 x 540 - 134K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:

Sink Saga -- wow, this is hilarious.

I fought with that sink for days, and the plumbers fixed it in 30 minutes. laugh

Including the leaks in my re-pipe experiment.  How does one put a washer in backwards?

My retired engineer brother was trying to fix a leak under the kitchen sink. The whole piping system fell out and our cousin Robbie who does construction including plumbing had to fix it. To be fair, my brother is an "electrical" engineer, so... smiley

Uh huh.  Did your brother enjoy seeing his "Oh, hell, I can do anything" streak humiliated?

I sure did.  smiley  Especially when the plumber told me nicely to stick to what I knew and not be offended because he and his sidekick fixed the sink so quick. 

ROFL

I read it to him and showed him the video. He laughed and told his daughter about it. devil

I'd tell my kid, but it wouldn't faze her.  She fixes things, too. smiley​ 

The two of us have fixed things, but now her significant other helps her.  Thank goodness.

That kitchen sink situation just got totally out of hand somehow, though. 

Shhh I hid Steve's condo under a white wash cloth so he can have his privacy.

kyoto kid said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

...you wouldn't like Portland OR then, especially the downtown area.  A lot of side streets in the surrounding neighbourhoods are narrow enough to be one way as well. On the street in front of my place, cars have to give way to each other at intersections.  Some streets are so narrow (with parking on both sides) there's not even room to ride a bike when a car is coming the other way.  I don't know how people managed back in the days when the size of the average car was larger than it is today.

Philadelphia, has a lot of very narrow streets, barely able to fit one car down between the buildings.  In any other city they'd be called alleys.  Heaven help you if you're walking in the street and car approaches. image below

Washington DC has several major traffic circles.  The one at DuPont Circle is the biggest & nastiest.  Not a place for timid drivers.  Twelve, count 'em, twelve exits/entrances!

...we have roundabout with 8 streets coming off of it in a fiarly quiet residential neighbourhood called Ladd's Addition which is not far from where I live.

There is another further north at the intersection of NE 39th and Glisan that is just four entrances, but is much much busier

My new avatar was made with Steve.

Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

is that superman in the tardis?   lollll

My new avatar was made with Steve.

Steve lookin a lil dark on my monitor

The Lost Where my TARDIS is Parked Complaint Thread

This discussion has been closed.