My new avatar was made with Steve.

Steve lookin a lil dark on my monitor

I will try to photo Steve with better lights tomorrow

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

Non-complaint:  It's been exactly two months since I cancelled my DISH-TV.  I don't even have an antenna so all I get for TV is NetFlix and NetFlix DVD.  What I've noticed is an increase in my peace and quiet and lack of random noise in the background.  No commercials!  Nobody screaming "0% Financing", no "full story at 11", no drug hawkers trying to convince me that I should buy their product despite the over-clocked disclaimer that essentially says "taking this might make you dead".

Occasionaly I feel that I need to catch up on news (although I don't know why) and I log into a website to see if the world has ended yet.  The static ads are an irritant but the articles are usually sufficient to allay my fears (or stoke them). However, when I click on a video, every freakin' one of them is preceded by a loud fast advertisement assaulting my calmness, and I'm thrust back into the screaming world of 0% financing.  I tend to believe that one of their purposes is to numb us to the news that will follow.

But that said, since having abandoned DISH-TV I've discovered a whole new world of commercial free drama, mysteries, comedies, bad cartoons and old long dead shows, that I can search through to find something viewable.  Yes, many of them are pure crap.  But when I find a gem and especially a series of gems like "Doc Martin", "Vera", "Wallander", to name just a few I add it to NetFlix's "MyList" which has now grown long enough to last me through the winter.  Some of those shows were originally on the high price networks like HBO or STARS or SHOTIME.  A lot of them were on the BBC-America that I had to pay extra to DISH to get their 200+ selection.  The biggest advantage of this type of viewing is that you can watch the series in order, from the beginning, on demand if you have adequate Internet service.  I can go back and find old episodes of my favorite shows that I know I missed 20 years ago.  It's a virtual smorgasboard of TV.

I'd had enough.  I couldn't afford $100/month so bye-bye DISH-TV.  I'm already paying for adequate Internet service so the extra cost of the combination of NetFlix and NetFlix-DVD is only about $20/month.  I save $80/month and I have peace and quiet in my home without continual blathering in the background.  The TV runs only when I am sitting in front of it and nobody is telling me to buy anything.  And when I tell you that I also listen to the Buffalo classical radio station "WNED" (via internet) http://tunein.com/radio/Classical-945-s21414/ that is essentially commercial free, you can understand that my brain has been de-commercialized and I didn't even go through any prolonged period of withdrawal symptoms. smiley

LOL!  I found the same peace in my house five years ago, except I haven't watched actual television since 2010.  We discarded all of the TVs in my house after removing DISH-TV.  I have Xfinity internet only (which Comcast looks at me cross-eyed after I tell them with great vehemence just how much I abhor television in every way every time they try to offer triple-play packages to me).

These days my visual entertainment comes from YouTube (selected programs) and Amazon Prime if I'm pecking for a free movie that I give a care about.

By the by, this is the craziest post that I've discovered tonight in my insomnia web-browsing.  Random much?  I love it!

heart

This is big right now (really!)  "This may be the apex of the "slow internet" — a genre that's gaining viral traction, no matter how oxymoronic its name may be" (Chicago Trib) (click livestream icon if it comes up)

eta a bit like watching a Sam Beckett play

Omigolly-gosh! <--sorry so, Ned Flanders-ish.  I don't want my post deleted for breaking ToS.

That is ultimately hilarious!   Hahaha!  At first I was looking for the point in the link, then I realized I was watching an intersection in live stream.

Do people really watch that all day, because if so - I live in New Jersey - the idiot driving captial of the world  [Everyone hates us...] 

I could become rich just by setting up a few live streams around my neighborhood - at those notorious circles that we have.  Hahaha!

laugh

Ah, New Jersy intersections.  The place with no left turns.  surprise  Been there, done that, still confused.  Perhaps there's a reason, but I've never seen it anywhere else, doesn't seem to be catching on.

Are those called "one-way streets," by chance? smiley

I don't like those either.

Well, there are places in New Olreans that are full of consecutive one-way streets all the same way.  You think "hmmm... one way, wrong direction".  So you figure you go up one more block and you'll find a street going the other direction.  WRONG!  two or three streets later and still no street going the other direction you decide that "you can't get there from here".  Oy!

But no, in New Jersey I'm talking about coming to an intersection that is clearly a two way street but you are not permitted to turn left.  You have to go through the intersection about a half a block, turn right, then turn right, then turn right again and viola! you're going the direction you wanted to go.  Sometimes instead of the three rights, they have the first right, then a twisty little street that wanders between some buildings and eventually dumps you onto the cross road in the direction you wanted to go if you'd been allowed to turn left when you first arrived at the intersection (and waited for the light).  It's all so confusing and poorly marked, but I'm sure it is obvious to the residents of the area.

Sounds like what we call a one way system here in the UK.   They can be very confusing the first half dozen or six times you go round them, but eventually you do learn the way.   That of course is when the PTB decide tho change the one way system.

So, is this scene actually not exaggerated?

LOL    I used to drive around London all day,  and yes it can be a bit of a nightmare if you aren't used to it.   Hyde Park corner R'about would be worse than that one TBH.   Driving in London is an art form.  Himself hated it,  my son used to say to be "OK Mum, let's divide the labour, you drive the van and I will swear at the idiot drivers".  Even my Italian (roman) line manager thiught that I would probably be able to survive driving in Rome.

Is easy to do here except you get further and further away from where you want to go as well, some kind of weird space/time distortion there :)

My new avatar was made with Steve.

Steve looks real happy :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited September 2016

steve walks warily down the street, his brim pulled way down low  dun dun dun

interesting  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro (English pronunciation: /kiˌɑːrəˈskjʊəroʊ/;Italian: [ˌkjaroˈskuːro]Italian for light-dark) in art is the use of strong contrasts between light and dark, usually bold contrasts affecting a whole composition.

4 point lighting??!!

ahaa!

The NVIDIA Iray1) update provides fixes to the implementation of Sub Surface Scattering (SSS) and affects materials that make “Translucency Weight” active (not set to 0). This makes skin tones appear more blue than they do in previous versions.

The image on the left is the result of 4.8 skin settings rendered in 4.9, and the image on the right is using a modification of the “SSS Reflectance Tint” from a light blue to a light yellow color. Daz Original products will be updated to reflect the 4.9 rendering changes, but if you encounter any products that render with a bluish tint, feel free to edit the “SSS Reflectance Tint” value to adjust the result to your liking.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/new_features/start

yep, where the ruddy red is coming from

and there are diffs between 4.8 and 4.9, 

The Iray Uber Shader now adds an extra layer in the Base > Diffuse > Overlay group. This layer is ideal for adding details like makeup or tattoos in the diffuse section of the Iray Uber Material.

scares me cause i bought Merrick, he;s brand new, dunno if his skin stuff will work in 4.8

Post edited by Mistara on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    Tjohn said:

laugh  laugh  laugh  laugh  

Dana

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,174
    edited September 2016
    Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

Non-complaint:  It's been exactly two months since I cancelled my DISH-TV.  I don't even have an antenna so all I get for TV is NetFlix and NetFlix DVD.  What I've noticed is an increase in my peace and quiet and lack of random noise in the background.  No commercials!  Nobody screaming "0% Financing", no "full story at 11", no drug hawkers trying to convince me that I should buy their product despite the over-clocked disclaimer that essentially says "taking this might make you dead".

Occasionaly I feel that I need to catch up on news (although I don't know why) and I log into a website to see if the world has ended yet.  The static ads are an irritant but the articles are usually sufficient to allay my fears (or stoke them). However, when I click on a video, every freakin' one of them is preceded by a loud fast advertisement assaulting my calmness, and I'm thrust back into the screaming world of 0% financing.  I tend to believe that one of their purposes is to numb us to the news that will follow.

But that said, since having abandoned DISH-TV I've discovered a whole new world of commercial free drama, mysteries, comedies, bad cartoons and old long dead shows, that I can search through to find something viewable.  Yes, many of them are pure crap.  But when I find a gem and especially a series of gems like "Doc Martin", "Vera", "Wallander", to name just a few I add it to NetFlix's "MyList" which has now grown long enough to last me through the winter.  Some of those shows were originally on the high price networks like HBO or STARS or SHOTIME.  A lot of them were on the BBC-America that I had to pay extra to DISH to get their 200+ selection.  The biggest advantage of this type of viewing is that you can watch the series in order, from the beginning, on demand if you have adequate Internet service.  I can go back and find old episodes of my favorite shows that I know I missed 20 years ago.  It's a virtual smorgasboard of TV.

I'd had enough.  I couldn't afford $100/month so bye-bye DISH-TV.  I'm already paying for adequate Internet service so the extra cost of the combination of NetFlix and NetFlix-DVD is only about $20/month.  I save $80/month and I have peace and quiet in my home without continual blathering in the background.  The TV runs only when I am sitting in front of it and nobody is telling me to buy anything.  And when I tell you that I also listen to the Buffalo classical radio station "WNED" (via internet) http://tunein.com/radio/Classical-945-s21414/ that is essentially commercial free, you can understand that my brain has been de-commercialized and I didn't even go through any prolonged period of withdrawal symptoms. smiley

LOL!  I found the same peace in my house five years ago, except I haven't watched actual television since 2010.  We discarded all of the TVs in my house after removing DISH-TV.  I have Xfinity internet only (which Comcast looks at me cross-eyed after I tell them with great vehemence just how much I abhor television in every way every time they try to offer triple-play packages to me).

These days my visual entertainment comes from YouTube (selected programs) and Amazon Prime if I'm pecking for a free movie that I give a care about.

By the by, this is the craziest post that I've discovered tonight in my insomnia web-browsing.  Random much?  I love it!

heart

This is big right now (really!)  "This may be the apex of the "slow internet" — a genre that's gaining viral traction, no matter how oxymoronic its name may be" (Chicago Trib) (click livestream icon if it comes up)

Omigolly-gosh! <--sorry so, Ned Flanders-ish.  I don't want my post deleted for breaking ToS.

That is ultimately hilarious!   Hahaha!  At first I was looking for the point in the link, then I realized I was watching an intersection in live stream.

Do people really watch that all day, because if so - I live in New Jersey - the idiot driving captial of the world  [Everyone hates us...] 

I could become rich just by setting up a few live streams around my neighborhood - at those notorious circles that we have.  Hahaha!

laugh

Ah, New Jersy intersections.  The place with no left turns.  surprise  Been there, done that, still confused.  Perhaps there's a reason, but I've never seen it anywhere else, doesn't seem to be catching on.

Well, there are places in New Olreans that are full of consecutive one-way streets all the same way.  You think "hmmm... one way, wrong direction".  So you figure you go up one more block and you'll find a street going the other direction.  WRONG!  two or three streets later and still no street going the other direction you decide that "you can't get there from here".  Oy!

But no, in New Jersey I'm talking about coming to an intersection that is clearly a two way street but you are not permitted to turn left.  You have to go through the intersection about a half a block, turn right, then turn right, then turn right again and viola! you're going the direction you wanted to go.  Sometimes instead of the three rights, they have the first right, then a twisty little street that wanders between some buildings and eventually dumps you onto the cross road in the direction you wanted to go if you'd been allowed to turn left when you first arrived at the intersection (and waited for the light).  It's all so confusing and poorly marked, but I'm sure it is obvious to the residents of the area.

I went to New O'Awlins once. smiley​  Very hot and muggy, and my husband wouldn't go to the old cemeteries.  Too dangerous, or so he said.  Superstitious rascal

I've been to New Orleans exactly once.  Encountered the one-way traffic traps but eventually found my way to the French Quarter.  My other half was with me and knew the town so we visited a few of the colorful bars, then ran into a bartender friend of his in Lafitte's.  I don't remember much after that but I do know we were unable to toddle back to our car.  But that's OK because a Colt model picked us up and let us stay in his apartment across the street from Lafittes and I do remember that my other half and I woke up the next morning naked on one of his ornate wrought iron balconys.  Interesting town. angel 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited September 2016

I imagine those balconies have seen worse. :-)

I remember a long, long bridge somewhere near New Orleans.  I remember really not liking that bridge, too.

Which is exactly why my husband took me across it. 

Husbands -- never again.  Both of mine purely tormented me. angel

Post edited by Jan19 on
    MistyMist said:

steve walks warily down the street, his brim pulled way down low  dun dun dun

interesting  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro (English pronunciation: /kiˌɑːrəˈskjʊəroʊ/;Italian: [ˌkjaroˈskuːro]Italian for light-dark) in art is the use of strong contrasts between light and dark, usually bold contrasts affecting a whole composition.

4 point lighting??!!

ahaa!

The NVIDIA Iray1) update provides fixes to the implementation of Sub Surface Scattering (SSS) and affects materials that make “Translucency Weight” active (not set to 0). This makes skin tones appear more blue than they do in previous versions.

The image on the left is the result of 4.8 skin settings rendered in 4.9, and the image on the right is using a modification of the “SSS Reflectance Tint” from a light blue to a light yellow color. Daz Original products will be updated to reflect the 4.9 rendering changes, but if you encounter any products that render with a bluish tint, feel free to edit the “SSS Reflectance Tint” value to adjust the result to your liking.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/new_features/start

yep, where the ruddy red is coming from

and there are diffs between 4.8 and 4.9, 

The Iray Uber Shader now adds an extra layer in the Base > Diffuse > Overlay group. This layer is ideal for adding details like makeup or tattoos in the diffuse section of the Iray Uber Material.

scares me cause i bought Merrick, he;s brand new, dunno if his skin stuff will work in 4.8

Lighting backgrounds doesn't get you points :b  Um doubt it about the scattering, is more you are painting with coloured lights, use teh matte white emissive and see what happens

edited September 2016

Chiaroscuro (English pronunciation: /kiˌɑːrəˈskjʊəroʊ/;Italian: [ˌkjaroˈskuːro]Italian for light-dark) in art is the use of strong contrasts between light and dark, usually bold contrasts affecting a whole composition

in part from old school prints from drypoint etchings

dp.jpg
    1000 x 859 - 816K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    kyoto kid said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

...you wouldn't like Portland OR then, especially the downtown area.  A lot of side streets in the surrounding neighbourhoods are narrow enough to be one way as well. On the street in front of my place, cars have to give way to each other at intersections.  Some streets are so narrow (with parking on both sides) there's not even room to ride a bike when a car is coming the other way.  I don't know how people managed back in the days when the size of the average car was larger than it is today.

When I was stationed in Germany, one of our Sergeants had his 1970-ish Cadillac Fleetwood shipped over. He could drive it off post and on the autobahn, but nowhere else. If he got to a town, he had to park it and walk in. Had it for about a month when he sold it to a German for about ten times what it was worth in the US. I had a 1980 Opel Admiral, which was a metric 1965 Chevy Nova with leather interior and power everything! It was a luxury car.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Jan19 said:
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:

Sink Saga -- wow, this is hilarious.

I fought with that sink for days, and the plumbers fixed it in 30 minutes. laugh

Including the leaks in my re-pipe experiment.  How does one put a washer in backwards?

My retired engineer brother was trying to fix a leak under the kitchen sink. The whole piping system fell out and our cousin Robbie who does construction including plumbing had to fix it. To be fair, my brother is an "electrical" engineer, so... smiley

Uh huh.  Did your brother enjoy seeing his "Oh, hell, I can do anything" streak humiliated?

I sure did.  smiley  Especially when the plumber told me nicely to stick to what I knew and not be offended because he and his sidekick fixed the sink so quick. 

ROFL

There's an old juke about a multi-million dollar machine that stopped working. None of the engineers or technicians could get it to work, so they finally brought in an outside consultant. He walked around the machine, took a small hammer out of his pocket, and gave it a light tap. The machine immediately began to run. When the plant manager got the bill -$50,000 - he called the consultant to complain. "All you did was tap it with a little hammer!"

"The tap was free," replied the consultant. "The $50,000 was for knowing where to tap!"

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,579
    edited September 2016
    Petercat said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

...you wouldn't like Portland OR then, especially the downtown area.  A lot of side streets in the surrounding neighbourhoods are narrow enough to be one way as well. On the street in front of my place, cars have to give way to each other at intersections.  Some streets are so narrow (with parking on both sides) there's not even room to ride a bike when a car is coming the other way.  I don't know how people managed back in the days when the size of the average car was larger than it is today.

When I was stationed in Germany, one of our Sergeants had his 1970-ish Cadillac Fleetwood shipped over. He could drive it off post and on the autobahn, but nowhere else. If he got to a town, he had to park it and walk in. Had it for about a month when he sold it to a German for about ten times what it was worth in the US. I had a 1980 Opel Admiral, which was a metric 1965 Chevy Nova with leather interior and power everything! It was a luxury car.

...the colloquial term for big American cars when I was there was Strassenkreutzer ("street crosser")

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    Petercat said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

...yes

Jan19 said:

I remember a long, long bridge somewhere near New Orleans.  I remember really not liking that bridge, too.

..ahh, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway

Petercat said:
    Jan19 said:
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:

I fought with that sink for days, and the plumbers fixed it in 30 minutes. laugh

Including the leaks in my re-pipe experiment.  How does one put a washer in backwards?

My retired engineer brother was trying to fix a leak under the kitchen sink. The whole piping system fell out and our cousin Robbie who does construction including plumbing had to fix it. To be fair, my brother is an "electrical" engineer, so... smiley

Uh huh.  Did your brother enjoy seeing his "Oh, hell, I can do anything" streak humiliated?

I sure did.  smiley  Especially when the plumber told me nicely to stick to what I knew and not be offended because he and his sidekick fixed the sink so quick. 

ROFL

There's an old juke about a multi-million dollar machine that stopped working. None of the engineers or technicians could get it to work, so they finally brought in an outside consultant. He walked around the machine, took a small hammer out of his pocket, and gave it a light tap. The machine immediately began to run. When the plant manager got the bill -$50,000 - he called the consultant to complain. "All you did was tap it with a little hammer!"

"The tap was free," replied the consultant. "The $50,000 was for knowing where to tap!"

That story will take awhile to process. smiley

kyoto kid said:
    Jan19 said:

..ahh, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway

It was a long, long bridge.  Longest bridge I've ever been on.  I thought we'd never get across. :-)

Anybody remember Billy Jack? smiley 

just in case anyone was losing sleep over Merrick for M7.  the skin effects are on the texture map, doesn't appear to need diffuse layers 

Jan19 said:

can't say i do.  i remember Billy Joe, Tallahassee bridge?

ps1borg said:

Chiaroscuro (English pronunciation: /kiˌɑːrəˈskjʊəroʊ/;Italian: [ˌkjaroˈskuːro]Italian for light-dark) in art is the use of strong contrasts between light and dark, usually bold contrasts affecting a whole composition

in part from old school prints from drypoint etchings

the Chiaroscuro arts kewl stuff

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,174
    edited September 2016
    Petercat said:
    Jan19 said:
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:

ROFL

Petercat said:
    Jan19 said:
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:

where to tap!"

I've heard that story in 6th or 7th grade (egads, almost 60 years ago) regarding the generators at the Niagara Falls power facility.  I believe it was something actually said by Charles Steinmetz, the hunchback, dwarf, mathematician employed by General Electric.  Supposedly he crawled around on the exposed coils of the big generators before making a mark on the coils identifying the place that needed fixing somehow.  Or perhaps it was Nicola Tesla?  Both had a hand in the first Niagara Falls generators.   No, I think I remember the teacher talking about a hunchback, so it must have been Steinmetz. 

Charles Steinmetz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Proteus_Steinmetz

Nicola Tesla: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited September 2016
    Petercat said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Jan19 said:
    ps1borg said:

heart

laugh

My father did that with a '67 Bonnaeville and '72 Grand Am... But in Italy... The guy who bought the Bonneville still had it in 82' (and kept in great condition) when I last visited my dad... We passed it on a local road and it was comically large compared to everything else... It actually seemed bigger than one of the local minibuses that the hotels liked to use to shuttle guests around to attractions.

Over there you could drive it down main streets, but some of the roads leading to places like the beaches or isolated sections of town were cut into the cliffs and so narrow that small cars would often have to back up into notches in the cliff, to allow another to pass... Most of the streets in town were insanely narrow too. There was one street I remember going down that was really no more than an alleyway, the handlebars of the motorcycle had maybe eight inches on either side and you felt like Luke Skywalker flying down the trench on the Death Star.  Most of the other side "streets" we're not much better.

Post edited by McGyver on

Bloom Filters ??

MistyMist said:
    Jan19 said:

can't say i do.  i remember Billy Joe, Tallahassee bridge?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Jack

smiley​  I remembered a day or two ago that my daughter is part Native American. 

I remember Billy Joe and the Tallahatchee Bridge, too. :-)  Another good song/movie.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited September 2016
    Jan19 said:

Yes.  There were a couple of movies at least.  In fact, there were four movies.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on

I know who Billy Mack is... He's a detective down in Texas... You know, he knows exactly what the facts is... he ain't gonna let those two escape justice... And he makes his livin' off of the people's taxes.... Or so I'm told... But I think he was looking for Billy Joe and Bobby Sue... And they are still running today... Which is pretty sad because they are probably like 75 by now and Billy Mack retired like thirty years ago.

DanaTA said:
    Jan19 said:

Yes.  There were a couple of movies at least.  In fact, there were four movies.

Dana

I think. :-)  I didn't get to see all of them, but I remember the first one.  I'd like to see it again.

McGyver said:

I know who Billy Mack is... He's a detective down in Texas... You know, he knows exactly what the facts is... he ain't gonna let those two escape justice... And he makes his livin' off of the people's taxes.... Or so I'm told... But I think he was looking for Billy Joe and Bobby Sue... And they are still running today... Which is pretty sad because they are probably like 75 by now and Billy Mack retired like thirty years ago.

I won't holler at you today. smiley​  I'm in too nice of a mood.

But I will say that old is interesting.  History majors are weird like that.

Lost my audio chord and had to listen to new music on the way to town.

I did not realize today's music was so meaningless.

One of my daughters keeps abbreviating stuff when she talks... I get it, but I just had to point out that, FNAF is not much of a time saver over Five Nights At Freddie's... Maybe if you were referring to Salvador Scungillioetti's South Shore Biscuit Bakery, SSSSBB might be quicker, but then only if one could stay focused past the first three Ss and if you knew the aforementioned biscuit bakery to begin with...  I probably should have waited until she wasn't drinking orange juice to have said "Salvador Scungillioetti's South Shore Biscuit Bakey"... Maybe it was my long pause, the thing I do with one eyebrow up when I'm puzzled or thinking or perhaps the fake whelk/conch-based last name for the biscuit bakery, but now there is orange juice all over the place. Well, not anymore...  

Mmmmm... Scungilli alla marinara... 

Unfortunately, good Scungilli is too expensive and bothersome to prepare and restaurant ones are just rubbery.

Now I want to go to Mamma Lombardi's... They don't do Scungilli, but they have a great chicken scarpariello... And pork chops... And pork braciola... 

I should have eaten lunch.

Man I'm hungry now...

This discussion has been closed.