Runtime DNA Merges With Daz 3D

Comments

• Khory said:

And just how many years ago was this Poser pros thing? 7 or so yes? And the people who owned and ran Daz were totaly different people yes? The store here has been totaly revamped since then as well so it isn't even the same store tech. How can something that happend that long ago involving people no longer here and a totaly different store system be relivant? Its like saying "oh well my old grocery store rang everything up by hand and made mistakes so now that this new grocery has started selling the products I bought there I expect to see all sorts of hand rung errors". Even though the new store rings everything up with a scanner.

Closing of the Poser Pros Forum archive happened at the end of 2011, and the Daz Forumarchive died in 2013 under this managment not the older management

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

I think its good news, RDNA have some wonderful vendors and produce some really unique items, I can't but hope that this merger will be the beggining of something good for all users.

• I haven't bought so many things from Daz for a while because of the prices. I liked the prices at RDNA. I'm just a "normal" not a professional 3D neard so my wallet is quite thin. And besides I think we've been drown in new characters and versions the last couple of years. I'ts wearing me out to try keep up. 
    Well, time will show if this was a good thing or not ... 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Khory said:

And just how many years ago was this Poser pros thing? 7 or so yes? And the people who owned and ran Daz were totaly different people yes? The store here has been totaly revamped since then as well so it isn't even the same store tech. How can something that happend that long ago involving people no longer here and a totaly different store system be relivant? Its like saying "oh well my old grocery store rang everything up by hand and made mistakes so now that this new grocery has started selling the products I bought there I expect to see all sorts of hand rung errors". Even though the new store rings everything up with a scanner.

Closing of the Poser Pros Forum archive happened at the end of 2011, and the Daz Forumarchive died in 2013 under this managment not the older management

Poser Pros itself actually closed down in 2008,  Daz bought it in 2005 and kept it running for over 3 years before transferring it to ArtZone. Even after the store closed for good it was possible to request access to download purchases from accounts for some considerable time.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    Khory said:

Sounds so insidious when in reality it was changing software and things going out of date.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I'm not really thrilled with it either, and not because of the store. RuntimeDNA forums provided a pretty good place to talk without big brother and now that they're merged, I feel like our landscape has gone from a sprawling ecosystem to penned enclosure. I don't really buy enough products from RDNA to be affected, but I will miss the forums. 

See Daz_Steve's first two posts...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/72306/faq-runtime-dna-customers-coming-to-daz/p1

• I was going on what Steve said.. so don't take anything I say as literal, 100% fact...

We are working to link up customer accounts between the two sites, and as we migrate products over they will be added to your account here at Daz.

Something I'd be interested in finding out — will there be an easy way of seeing our bought-from-RDNA content (I have some, not a lot) in the long-as-your-arm list of our DAZ purchases (I have a lot, not some), and will anything be done to update the old installers to the new DAZ standards?

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Khory said:

Sometimes one needs to have things put into perspective. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago. I don't really have a sore spot about this... I know I am missing some things that I bought there (Sturk's Zodiac sets), but in reality that's my own fault for not backing them up properly.

• CypherFOX said:
    I do also have Melody for A3, and Capsces fox and wolf for her...and if I could get anything converted over so it was easier to install and work, it'd be those two items.  It makes for an EXCELLENT 'toon-ish fox!

<nod> I have a pretty big menagerie of Melody and Micah content, plus some of the add-on morph sets. All of the actual characters I've worked on right now exist only as D|S3-era .daz scene files; they all still load in D|S4.8 but it's getting a bit clunky. If I could re-install everything so it's all a bit neater, that would be a major help.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited February 2016
    Khory said:

Yup -- this. The entire 3D content marketplace has changed radically in even the last year. I know we all have long memories when bad things happen, but I'm not going to instantly assume the worst. I love RDNA. I will continue to love their artists when they migrate over here. Daz is welcoming any RDNA artist, which is fantastic. It legitimately sounds like DAZ will continue to welcome products by RDNA artists even if they're gen4 or poser specific. Why wouldn't they? If the content artist is willing to create it, why wouldn't DAZ want a portion of those sales? I'm also personally a huge fan of DAZ's DIM and product library management, so having my DNA stuff come to me that way is a plus in my book. I'm also eager to see what artists like Syyd and Traveler and Colm create when the responsibility of managing the store is lifted from their shoulders. Sure, promo renders will be without nudity here, but I can't imagine that the creative genius of the DNA artists will be in any way smothered here at DAZ. We know DAZ is family-friendly, but that hasn't stopped the release of dark or edgy products. (Rawart's "severed man" comes to mind, as an example.) I'm sure that the things we love about our RDNA artists will still be the things we love when they're selling here. I'm also of the opinion that DAZ really does listen to its customers. I know lots of people might disagree because of one issue or another, but I personally have been very satisfied and impressed with DAZ's willingness to change things in a reasonable manner when the customers react negatively to something. And the people at RDNA are amazing. Adding their talent to this environment seems like it could be a very good thing. My glass will remain half-full until something happens to change that. I've supported the artists at RDNA for eons and will continue to do so when they're here!
    Post edited by Karibou on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

In the last month I think I've bought maybe 1/3 of Raw's catalog. ;)

Not me.  But that might be because I already own over half of it. cheeky  

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    lx said:
    CypherFOX said:

I don't have a large number of purchases from RuntimeDNA, but amusingly about half of them are from when Aeon Soul left there...for here. O_o¡  Those'll be particularly interesting to see show up, if they do.n

Ugh yes I want the missing items from the Aeon Soul catalogue to return!

Aeon Soul has stated that the products removed from RDNA will no longer have support or be sold- they want to concentrate on the new versions of the figures, not the old.  Don't think that's going to happen.

Part me has wondered why they don't just release the really old stuff as either freebies or even donationware on a place like Gumroad, but then I remembered that I often delete my older artwork when I've moved on from something (mostly fandoms) and would rather focus on moving forward, so I don't blame them there.

Putting them up for free or uber-cheap elsewhere elsewhere pulls attention away from the new product that pays the bills.  As for why not simply keep it available... I wish they would, but in looking at the history of other vendor's who've been around as long, I think there's a point where skill sets evolve to the point where many of the PAs simply decide that the old stuff just doesn't look good enough to go in a catalog with the newer products they're making.  That's why both Stonemason and RawArt recently pulled a bunch of their older products. 

• I unerstand for the buy xfers to work emails must match...BUT

What happens if there are over lapping nicks?

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    lx said:
    CypherFOX said:

Putting them up for free or uber-cheap elsewhere elsewhere pulls attention away from the new product that pays the bills.  As for why not simply keep it available... I wish they would, but in looking at the history of other vendor's who've been around as long, I think there's a point where skill sets evolve to the point where many of the PAs simply decide that the old stuff just doesn't look good enough to go in a catalog with the newer products they're making.  That's why both Stonemason and RawArt recently pulled a bunch of their older products

Not to get off topic too much, but it'd be really cool if they could put the old items under a different author/vendor name to kind of seperate their catalog but still have the items available.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

I unerstand for the buy xfers to work emails must match...BUT

What happens if there are over lapping nicks?

You nick here will remain the same I imagine, only your RDNA products will migrate over to the account. Any differnent nick you have at RDNA would be used in forum posts over there, but would not be seen here.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Gotta love the atmosphere of "Poser support is doomed!" in the RDNA forums.  I sort of wonder if this move is a way of getting more Poser supported content and content makers into the store here.

Yea, I had to unsubscribe to the thread over there.  Too much drama and negativity! 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I have alot of RDNA products I would like to see new teradome with daz support. It would be nice to see my products at rdna as smart content.

YES YES YES YES YES! 

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    Karibou said:
    Khory said:

Yup -- this. The entire 3D content marketplace has changed radically in even the last year. I know we all have long memories when bad things happen, but I'm not going to instantly assume the worst. I love RDNA. I will continue to love their artists when they migrate over here. Daz is welcoming any RDNA artist, which is fantastic. It legitimately sounds like DAZ will continue to welcome products by RDNA artists even if they're gen4 or poser specific. Why wouldn't they? If the content artist is willing to create it, why wouldn't DAZ want a portion of those sales? I'm also personally a huge fan of DAZ's DIM and product library management, so having my DNA stuff come to me that way is a plus in my book. I'm also eager to see what artists like Syyd and Traveler and Colm create when the responsibility of managing the store is lifted from their shoulders. Sure, promo renders will be without nudity here, but I can't imagine that the creative genius of the DNA artists will be in any way smothered here at DAZ. We know DAZ is family-friendly, but that hasn't stopped the release of dark or edgy products. (Rawart's "severed man" comes to mind, as an example.) I'm sure that the things we love about our RDNA artists will still be the things we love when they're selling here. I'm also of the opinion that DAZ really does listen to its customers. I know lots of people might disagree because of one issue or another, but I personally have been very satisfied and impressed with DAZ's willingness to change things in a reasonable manner when the customers react negatively to something. And the people at RDNA are amazing. Adding their talent to this environment seems like it could be a very good thing. My glass will remain half-full until something happens to change that. I've supported the artists at RDNA for eons and will continue to do so when they're here!

I could write exactly as karibou, just english is not my language. I agree 100%.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

That was my post at RDNA:

I am glad about the merger. I wish to Syyd, Eric, Colm and all RDNA gang all the best at the new home. I am sure that free of some administrative burdens, you will refresh DAZ adding your unique artistic vision. Not just that, but you have build a reputation for years and surely have weight all pros and cons about joining to DAZ. DAZ certainly knows about this and how this can benefit their business.

Something will be lost in the transition. Some vendors will not go to DAZ, some customers will get upset and will take another path, some products just not fit in the new home. Changes always have some gains and lost, but at the end I think for the most part this will be a good thing to all involved: customers, vendors, DAZ, and RDNA.

I am one that don't blame DAZ for the Poser decline. I was a Poser user for long time, but I confess although emotional connection to the program , it is resting on my hard drive without any use. I am a Studio user now.

It is not DAZ fault that Genesis generation is unsupported in Poser. This needs to be fixed by Poser developers. It is their choice. DAZ real business is selling content, so it is of their best interest that content be supported on all platforms posible. Some people just forgot that Studio was created as an alternative platform when Poser was at risk to disappear and putting DAZ business model in the same path. Studio has been evolving for long years and it is now a very mature and nice tool for all 3D artists.

Poser is a nice tool too, but seems to be moored to their old roots. I hope Smith Micro and the developers can make it a relevant tool again, making the necessary changes and introducing new features to the program. I really hope that happens, after all we, artists and hobbyists, need any good tools to express our artistic visions. Poser had a lot of time to support Genesis generation. Don't blame DAZ for that, but vowel your concerns to SM and devs to get Genesis content in Poser. Studio still supports Poser format, I don't see why Poser cannot support Studio format.

I have some concerns about how DAZ sometimes manage their decisions and I think there are a clear problem of communication. I also think is unacceptable that Studio does not have a solid documentation as Poser have. But I see clearly that they are working to override those issues. I am sorry if someone had problems with customer support, but I am a customer since 2001 and never had any support request denied or unanswered. That is my experience and I just can talk about as it was.

I see a bright future in the merger. There are a lot of talented Poser artists and vendors, and I follow someones. I hope Poser and those talented people will show in that bright future.

Stay calm. Keep walking. Be happy.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

You never know, an influx of Poser-focused vendors might help revive and encourage Poser development here.

• lx said:
    CypherFOX said:

I don't have a large number of purchases from RuntimeDNA, but amusingly about half of them are from when Aeon Soul left there...for here. O_o¡  Those'll be particularly interesting to see show up, if they do.n

Ugh yes I want the missing items from the Aeon Soul catalogue to return!

Aeon Soul has stated that the products removed from RDNA will no longer have support or be sold- they want to concentrate on the new versions of the figures, not the old.  Don't think that's going to happen.

Part me has wondered why they don't just release the really old stuff as either freebies or even donationware on a place like Gumroad, but then I remembered that I often delete my older artwork when I've moved on from something (mostly fandoms) and would rather focus on moving forward, so I don't blame them there.

Putting them up for free or uber-cheap elsewhere elsewhere pulls attention away from the new product that pays the bills.  As for why not simply keep it available... I wish they would, but in looking at the history of other vendor's who've been around as long, I think there's a point where skill sets evolve to the point where many of the PAs simply decide that the old stuff just doesn't look good enough to go in a catalog with the newer products they're making.  That's why both Stonemason and RawArt recently pulled a bunch of their older products. 

I think you kind of overlooked the end point I made, where I said that I understood why they took them down and won't be offering them again: I'm an artist, and I regularly take down older work every so often because of the exact same reasons you mentioned: the old stuff doesn't look as good compared to the new. Plus the change in focus: I get that, having done it myself on numerous occasions (I'm moving away from fandom-related works to my own original creations and stories). So in that respect, I totally understand why people like Aeon Soul, Stonemason, and RawArt have pulled older products.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited February 2016
    ghosty12 said:

Next conquer...Render...otica.

No I doubt that they will merge with them as they are very heavily adult oriented and Daz, RDNA, Rosity are not..

I wonder how the Poser community took this news bet there are a lot of very angry Poser users..

Gotta love the atmosphere of "Poser support is doomed!" in the RDNA forums.  I sort of wonder if this move is a way of getting more Poser supported content and content makers into the store here.

While I mostly use DS, I hope it does signal increased Poser support. Lately it has seemed like DAZ has been moving further and further from its Poser roots

Or it could mean the end of Poser support, as this could be seen as one way to freeze out the competition..  While some might see this merger as good news it could be seen as very bad news for the 3D community in general..

"I wonder how the Poser community took this news bet there are a lot of very angry Poser users.."

... Not well. And, yup there are.

Karibou said:
    frogimus said:

im hoping Littlefox takes Cookie and Star somewhere else.

Not trying to be dense... but is there something wrong with them being here?  Because DAZ is welcoming Poser content, including original figures like Cookie and Star.

There are a lot of partisan feelsings; some hate Daz, and likely some hate Poser.

From what posters have said, they won't buy Poser items from here; how representative of RDNA as a whole, I've no idea.

Post edited by nicstt on

fred9803 said:

Well popped over to the RDNA forums and with the news breaking, people over there are not happy with this and a lot are saying adios to RDNA..

Well if they do come over would anyone like to guess whether they would join the anti or pro DRM contingent here?

We can hope for rabidly against. :)

• ADAD Posts: 396

For me as a poser focused user I'll never get a good buyer at DAZ again - there was a long time ago,
    that DAZ was my 3d home and I was a very good customer. But now all the DAZ items to expensive for me as a hobbyuser
    and I don't have the time and the desire, extensive sales strategies and sales promotions with if,
    but, then, or only if ... skimming through, especially since English is not my native language
    and my complexity of DAZ sales programs are simply not understandable. So I stay away DAZ and
    buy anything and save my money for other things.
    So I'm really very sad about RDNA merges to DAZ but I wish RDNA good luck for their success.

Not that happy. If you merge two shops, you won't get a bigger shop. No, you'll loose one shop.

Exactly. Good for business I am sure. And I don't hate them for it. RNDA tends to have more interesting products than here at Daz.

But Daz is a very sterile convervative draconian site, and RDNA was always very expressive, creative and artistic.  To people who say daz has dark themes, I think you are missing a lot. It's not about indivudual crummy products, it's the entire feel and support for themes in a genuine way. RNDA had some great lines on their site. RNDA was never scared of embracing ART, Daz still is :/

I do wish them luck on the merger. But I really can't find it in me to actively support Daz or any of their partners anymore. If I can't be expressive on an "art" site/forum and only expected to be a dumb consumer, there is no way I can really invest in that treatment. Even if some of the partners are some of my most cherished and respected artists in this niche.

I still render here and there, still have a few years left in my plat membership. I'll be around. Maybe I'll be tempted by something unique, brave and exciting :)

+1

Just to emphasise: plus one.

• Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229

Regarding 'dark themes'... Daz store has LOADS of fairly dark stuff.

Consider:

http://www.daz3d.com/jane-d-o-a

http://www.daz3d.com/severed-man

http://www.daz3d.com/zombie-walker

http://www.daz3d.com/terror-eyes-for-genesis-2

Plus lots of demons, werewolves, distorted aliens, plantmen, ratpeople, all sorts of wacky stuff.

True but Runtime had fairly original dark stuff.  Not into zombies  and witches and the like.  The she monsters were incredible.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438

what bother me is the fact a lot of folks here are excited to see the RDNA content ported over to DS ... I am hoping they continue to produce products for Poser.

edited February 2016
    Havos said:
    lx said:

Regarding 'dark themes'... Daz store has LOADS of fairly dark stuff.

Consider:

http://www.daz3d.com/jane-d-o-a

http://www.daz3d.com/severed-man

http://www.daz3d.com/zombie-walker

http://www.daz3d.com/terror-eyes-for-genesis-2

Plus lots of demons, werewolves, distorted aliens, plantmen, ratpeople, all sorts of wacky stuff.

Yeah I found this whole talk of "dark themes" confusing too. I mean Daz doesn't like to use certain words or allow nudity in promos but there's no shortage of creepy horror evil figures or ridiculously skimpy outfits for Victoria

and then there's http://www.daz3d.com/taurette-for-genesis-2-female-hd

RawArt is unrivalled in so many ways.

I agree, plenty of stuff on the dark side here, look at http://www.daz3d.com/severed-man, the promos don't come much more horror themed than these

The issue isn't dark but style of dark...I posted links to some of the stuff I liked at RDNA -- I got my creepy stuff there because most of the DAZ creepy stuff leaned towards traditional fare, werewolves, vampires, demons, shapeshifters. Amost all all the  creatures I have  acquired in the past few years  have come from there, and this after coming to DAZ first to see if they had what I wanted. It's kinda like this: I look for Gucci pants  and someone says, hey, go to walmart "They have pants there too..."  yes, but you want a  certain style of pant. That's the concern.  It's a quibble but not an illegitimate one.

Post edited by Luv Lee on

RNDA tends to have more interesting products than here at Daz.

But Daz is a very sterile convervative draconian site, and RDNA was always very expressive, creative and artistic.  To people who say daz has dark themes, I think you are missing a lot. It's not about indivudual crummy products, it's the entire feel and support for themes in a genuine way. RNDA had some great lines on their site. RNDA was never scared of embracing ART, Daz still is :/

Precisley and exactly that.   There is  also a move  to always white wash, suppress and poo poo genuine and sincere concerns or greviences.  Not eveyone will be happy with a given change and many customers will have very legitimate gripes. Instead of trying to make ppl feel ashamed for speaking thier minds and being honest e.g. not plastering on fakey smiles, maybe maybe folks should  look at and try to address the concerns. Even if the company is unable to give the customer what they want in the end, the consumer will at least feel as if their  grevience was taken seriously and the company tried.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    edited February 2016
    daveso said:

what bother me is the fact a lot of folks here are excited to see the RDNA content ported over to DS ... I am hoping they continue to produce products for Poser.

I mostly use DS now, but I would buy stuff that is Poser only anyway. I never get too worried about what shaders are included, as they are not hard to convert to 3DL or iRay. I have bought a number of items over there (nowhere near as much as here though), and it is pretty much all Poser stuff, ie: M4/V4 characters and clothing, but that is fine as I can easily move all of those on to Genesis 1-3. Things like TerraDome however only work properly in Poser as it uses procedural shaders, and poser python scripts, a DS version of that would be nice.

However if the new PAs continue to create Poser only stuff that I can convert to using in DS, I would be happy enough.

Post edited by Havos on