DAZ Connect news - Encrypted files will be unlocked after 12 months

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,311

Maybe a good idea would be to have a small circular icon underneath the thumbnail in the store page for the product (next to those for PC+ etc) to indicate that a product is encrypted. The icon would be solid grey (it could be any color), at the start, and then it sweeps to orange (or amber) as the item gets closer to its DRM free time. That way it has the appearence of a pie chart or clock, so a quarter orange indicates 3 months past its release, half 6 months, and when almost all orange it would mean it is days left until it is unencrypted. When it is finally unencrypted the circle would turn green. It is a crude measurement, but gives someone an at a glance view on the store page of approximately how much longer a given product would remain encrypted.

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757
    edited February 2016

I would prefer a decryption date in the product page listing. No need for fancy graphics. Edit: One thing that would be nice is a new report added to our account that lists encrypted content and when it will be avialable unencrypted.

Post edited by argel1200 on
    argel1200 said:

I would prefer a decryption date in the product page listing. No need for fancy graphics. Edit: One thing that would be nice is a new report added to our account that lists encrypted content and when it will be avialable unencrypted.

I agree the full date should be on the product page, I was talking about the main page where many products are seen together as thumbnails.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited February 2016
    hphoenix said:

Okay.  We've got encrypted content unlocking after some period of time (currently 12 months.)  People are missing something....

How can we tell when it is time?

.....how will you know (unless you write down and store it in a notebook when each and every encrypted product is released) if it's supposed to have been re-released as decrypted?

I also think this issue is important and deserves an official Daz response.

Telling your customers that encryption for a item will be unlocked after 12 months, without specifying a start date, is like hanging a sign on your shop's door saying "Back in 1 Hour".

back-in-12.jpg
    500 x 466 - 40K
    Post edited by de3an on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

great news! That is a really positive change. Now I can start shopping again :)

• TesseractSpaceTesseractSpace Posts: 1,170
    edited February 2016
    de3an said:
    hphoenix said:

Okay.  We've got encrypted content unlocking after some period of time (currently 12 months.)  People are missing something....

How can we tell when it is time?

.....how will you know (unless you write down and store it in a notebook when each and every encrypted product is released) if it's supposed to have been re-released as decrypted?

I also think this issue is important and deserves an official Daz response.

Telling your customers that encryption for a item will be unlocked after 12 months, without specifying a start date, is like hanging a sign on your shop's door saying "Back in 1 Hour".

I think this has been answered, the product wiki has release dates listed. Still Daz should perhaps make that info easier to get to. And maybe keep the documentation center from going out as often as it seems to. I don't know why they don't have a link at the bottom of each product page in the store leading to it's readme page. 

Post edited by TesseractSpace on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,445

Oh well, at least I will be getting Dragon Queen for G3F... next year :/ 

I just hope G4F isn't released by then...

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Petercat said:
    Havos said:

Maybe a good idea would be to have a small circular icon underneath the thumbnail in the store page for the product (next to those for PC+ etc) to indicate that a product is encrypted. The icon would be solid grey (it could be any color), at the start, and then it sweeps to orange (or amber) as the item gets closer to its DRM free time. That way it has the appearence of a pie chart or clock, so a quarter orange indicates 3 months past its release, half 6 months, and when almost all orange it would mean it is days left until it is unencrypted. When it is finally unencrypted the circle would turn green. It is a crude measurement, but gives someone an at a glance view on the store page of approximately how much longer a given product would remain encrypted.

I would prefer a small, orange fist with an upraised middle finger.

When it becomes unencrypted, raise the index finger as well and change the color to green.

Um, there are countries where the two finger gesture is considered obscene. :)

With all my travels, you'd think I would have remembered that...

So change it to the "okay" hand sign. Oh, wait...

Maybe change it to a green circle?

• I loathe DRM, but if credit card fraud is the real problem, then why not restrict new accounts instead of punishing everyone? Make the delay 2 months (3 tops) for pre-existing customers. For all new customers, EVERYTHING is encrypted for 3 to 6 months. This would mean the rest of us can continue using the very same products unencrypted (or at least not wait an eternity for those of us that just don't use DRM products) while protecting DAZ from credit card fraud on new accounts. Perhaps even have a longer probation period and after 3 months, with enough purchases, they can issue a ticket to become a full member. This doesn't just protect your encrypted content, but also unencrypted content because only pre-existing customers will get them unencrypted.

Hitting your new customers with DRM will also be a definite indication if it hurts or helps your bottom line. New accounts is where the problem is, isn't it? So why not target that instead of the rest of us who have been loyal customers?

And if you haven't gotten it yet, yeah, 12 months is very much insane. I also understand the irony of my suggestion considering how much I hate DRM. Right now, I'm gonna have to see this decryption actually take place (in 12 months) before I commit to buying DRM products. As is, I *may* buy some items if they are high quality, but I'm gonna be a little skeptical for the time being.

• frogimusfrogimus Posts: 200
    Funny, I've had stuff on my wishlist for a year. Maybe I'm weird, but I generally put anything that looks really cool and that I might want to pick up at some point. Mainly so I don't forget it exists.

Different styles of doing things, I guess. I change interest frequently. I'm into fantasy (like LotR fantasy, not hoochie fantasy) ATM but I might come back next week with a SciFi interest and clear all the medieval stuff.

Squirrel!

• Oh well, at least I will be getting Dragon Queen for G3F... next year :/

...but you won't be able to use it because I'm going to get her first and make all possible images with it, then copyright them.  Bam!  Useless figure.  devil

Of course I jest.  But...there are domain-name squatters, yes?  And there was that guy who invented and registered a Y2K date "windowing" scheme, then started suing companies to prove that they weren't using HIS invention.

By waiting a full year to use content (regardless of your reason), a person could be passing up some artistic opportunity.  You never know; maybe you'll get passed up on the chance to design the next Meat Loaf album cover because you don't have an AWESOME Dragon Queen!  It could happen!  wink

Okay, I'm jesting again...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Oh well, at least I will be getting Dragon Queen for G3F... next year :/

...but you won't be able to use it because I'm going to get her first and make all possible images with it, then copyright them.  Bam!  Useless figure.  devil

Of course I jest.  But...there are domain-name squatters, yes?  And there was that guy who invented and registered a Y2K date "windowing" scheme, then started suing companies to prove that they weren't using HIS invention.

By waiting a full year to use content (regardless of your reason), a person could be passing up some artistic opportunity.  You never know; maybe you'll get passed up on the chance to design the next Meat Loaf album cover because you don't have an AWESOME Dragon Queen!  It could happen!  wink

Of course you're jesting -- Meat Loaf hasn't had a new album since 2011 (not counting live tour albums and compilations.

•  I  disagree with having to wait to use anything, but I also am okay with the current plan. 

This isn't some competition or MMO where we absolutely must buy all the newest gear to remain competitive or anything. If anything I might need comes out, there's usually all kinds of alternatives.

Word to the wise.

MMOs might be fun for me, but I don't like the "pay-to-win" aspect.  And subscriptions are just out of the picture for me.

• Oh well, at least I will be getting Dragon Queen for G3F... next year :/

Of course you're jesting -- Meat Loaf hasn't had a new album since 2011 (not counting live tour albums and compilations.

He still gigs, and his shows are phenomenal.

But don't take small children to one of his concerts unless you think it's time for them to learn how to speak VERY colorfully.  Of course, any schoolkid these days already knows all of THOSE words.  surprise

• nicstt said:

L'Adair said:

It will be some time, however, before I start buying new releases if they are encrypted, because I can't use them. And I'm not alone.

Indeed. While this compromise reassures many of the "vocal few", maybe to the extent that they fall largely silent, it might still be the case that the wider customer base simply declines to buy encrypted content anyway. DAZ isn't going to find that out until they risk putting guaranteed high sales items up encrypted only. One thing they should know fairly well already is what proportion of buying customers is using DS 4.9 with validated accounts. Once that proportion is high enough they can take the plunge.

I've been vocal; I'm cautiously optomistic.

I do, however, feel a lot can happen in a week; and we're talking about twelve months.

To be honest they really haven't done anything except to dangle a carrot and get everyone to sign onto the DRM bandwagon. unencrypting items in a years in exchange for everyone throwing out their gimme hands makes them the winner. The only thing that has changed if you step back and look at it, daz gets all of you to stop your vocal oposition to DRM and your money again in exchange for a promise to unencrypt items a year down the line. Nothing has really changed other than they get to smile all the way to the bank and put a big W in the win collum for this round. 

And I haven't seen any indication of whether or not these items will be available as I would prefer to use them when they do get unlocked; if they still require me to use DAZ Connect in a year, I won't be buying them, period. I do not need the integrated downloader and do not plan to ever use it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    nicstt said:

L'Adair said:

It will be some time, however, before I start buying new releases if they are encrypted, because I can't use them. And I'm not alone.

Indeed. While this compromise reassures many of the "vocal few", maybe to the extent that they fall largely silent, it might still be the case that the wider customer base simply declines to buy encrypted content anyway. DAZ isn't going to find that out until they risk putting guaranteed high sales items up encrypted only. One thing they should know fairly well already is what proportion of buying customers is using DS 4.9 with validated accounts. Once that proportion is high enough they can take the plunge.

I do, however, feel a lot can happen in a week; and we're talking about twelve months.

To be honest they really haven't done anything except to dangle a carrot and get everyone to sign onto the DRM bandwagon. unencrypting items in a years in exchange for everyone throwing out their gimme hands makes them the winner. The only thing that has changed if you step back and look at it, daz gets all of you to stop your vocal oposition to DRM and your money again in exchange for a promise to unencrypt items a year down the line. Nothing has really changed other than they get to smile all the way to the bank and put a big W in the win collum for this round. 

And I haven't seen any indication of whether or not these items will be available as I would prefer to use them when they do get unlocked; if they still require me to use DAZ Connect in a year, I won't be buying them, period. I do not need the integrated downloader and do not plan to ever use it.

You will not need to use Connect after they are unencrypted:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1015468/#Comment_1015468

nicstt said:

L'Adair said:

You will not need to use Connect after they are unencrypted:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1015468/#Comment_1015468

@Richard Haseltine - do you think you could put some of these bullet points on the first post? And maybe a link to the closed thread so people do not think it is being buried? It might help clear some of the unknowns for people newly coming into this discussion.

• And I haven't seen any indication of whether or not these items will be available as I would prefer to use them when they do get unlocked; if they still require me to use DAZ Connect in a year, I won't be buying them, period. I do not need the integrated downloader and do not plan to ever use it.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for that link.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    edited February 2016

nm

Post edited by lx_2807502 on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited February 2016
    atticanne said:
    Nice try, DAZ, and congrats to all who are liking this. I'm still not going to use 4.9, Connect, DRM, or encryption. Nor will I renew PC+.

DRM is a nono for me; I've installed 4.9 beta, and have uninstalled the SQL parts; keeps Daz under control; it's also blocked with my firewall. Other parts of 4.9 seem fine - well other part - rendering with IRAY or 3Delight; not much seems to have changed otherwise.

I'm still undecided on PC+; I'm still annoyed over how we have been treated.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676
    nicstt said:
    atticanne said:
    Nice try, DAZ, and congrats to all who are liking this. I'm still not going to use 4.9, Connect, DRM, or encryption. Nor will I renew PC+.

DRM is a nono for me; I've installed 4.9 beta, and have uninstalled the SQL parts; keeps Daz under control; it's also blocked with my firewall. Other parts of 4.9 seem fine - well other part - rendering with IRAY or 3Delight; not much seems to have changed otherwise.

How do you uninstall the sql part? Sick of seeing 8 useless sql processes going. I don't use DIM, or connect, or smart content, so I doubt I need it

TheKD said:

Yeah, I will not buy any encrypted content, I will wait the year before buying. Maybe a vendor elsewhere will get smart, and do their own version of every single encrypted item and clean up on selling to people like me. Daz releases encrypted trenchoat, so they make an unencrypted one and sell it to us a month later. I buy that, don't need the one here it when it becomes unlocked in a year. Would be a pretty smart move lol.

I won't consider buying DRM content until I see the first become unencrypted; and maybe not even then. Twelve months - that is a long time. Things change, so do companies, and well...

Spit said:
    Novica said:

And while many of us still think DRM is a stupid idea, at least now it's mostly Daz's 'cost' to implement, rather than ours. I mean, 'wait a year' is annoying, but the folks losing out most in that is Daz, not us.

IMO waiting 365 days to get content MAKES US LOSERS. If you personally don't mind that, wait 365 to get/use all those goodies they gave you. You'll change your tune faster than you can say "My bad." 

That's assuming you refuse to use Connect at all. I figure if the sale is good I'll bite, and if I want to use it I will and hopefully I'll be able to find it.

I can assure you that I won't be; see my comment above. :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896
    edited February 2016

(quote removed)

That's really insulting.

Maybe we actually soberly analyzed the situation and honestly think this is an improvement over where they were going.

IMO, there is a huge qualitative difference between moving toward a walled garden and excluding half (or more) of your market, and setting up roadblocks and annoyances that eventually expire.

I'd also point out, regarding their silence on business information, that a lot of that had to do with whether DRM should exist, formats for DRM, and whatnot. Apparently my suggestion was one of the few ideas they hadn't actually considered (the other one was the whole poison pill someone suggested that started that ball rolling).

I realize this is a contentious issue, and pretty much all of us are unhappy about DRM. But, again, the worst thing about this new plan is discouraging initial sales of product, which stinks more for Daz than us, I (honestly) think.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on

I loathe DRM, but if credit card fraud is the real problem, then why not restrict new accounts instead of punishing everyone? Make the delay 2 months (3 tops) for pre-existing customers. For all new customers, EVERYTHING is encrypted for 3 to 6 months. This would mean the rest of us can continue using the very same products unencrypted (or at least not wait an eternity for those of us that just don't use DRM products) while protecting DAZ from credit card fraud on new accounts. Perhaps even have a longer probation period and after 3 months, with enough purchases, they can issue a ticket to become a full member. This doesn't just protect your encrypted content, but also unencrypted content because only pre-existing customers will get them unencrypted.

Hitting your new customers with DRM will also be a definite indication if it hurts or helps your bottom line. New accounts is where the problem is, isn't it? So why not target that instead of the rest of us who have been loyal customers?

And if you haven't gotten it yet, yeah, 12 months is very much insane. I also understand the irony of my suggestion considering how much I hate DRM. Right now, I'm gonna have to see this decryption actually take place (in 12 months) before I commit to buying DRM products. As is, I *may* buy some items if they are high quality, but I'm gonna be a little skeptical for the time being.

Glad I'm not the only one.

TheKD said:
    nicstt said:
    atticanne said:

How do you uninstall the sql part? Sick of seeing 8 useless sql processes going. I don't use DIM, or connect, or smart content, so I doubt I need it

In beta 4.9, before I even started it, I just didn't even install the two PostSQL CMS files; I get an error message on Daz start that I can't use some content (I'm heartbroken, obviously devil ) as SQL files (or something) cant be found. Use DIM, and see if you can uninstall them.

There is not that many of us "vocal few" that have suddenly declared our intention to start happily buying DRM content due to this change. However some of us are relieved that at least the stuff will be available unencrypted at some point in the future. I buy a lot of older content, in fact I suspect most of what I have purchased was at least a year old when I got it. (I finally got the Dragon 3 last week, and I think that is 2 years old now). Despite this, like others have said, a year seems a long time to wait if something arrives you really like. I will continue to pick up encrypted freebies, but DRM for money I will think much harder about, it has less value in my eyes, and that will be factored into the price I am willing to spend.

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109

I think I'd lose interest in a product, after waiting a year for it.  Then again, after a year, the product might be a good bit cheaper.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

My apologies for your feelings being hurt; I've deleted my post. 

lx said:

My apologies for your feelings being hurt; I've deleted my post. 

I smiled when I saw your post; it was harsh, but perhaps accurate too.

Sadly it can't go back to how it was for me; but I'm moving on in different ways than anticipated.

In many ways, the garden wall is already up. How may shaders, how many light rigs, how many pieces of the puzzle does everyone buy just to make their content not look like a wax museum? Barring that, how much time do you spend making your own lights and shaders instead of actually making the art?

For me, DRM just opened my eyes. I've been using Studio since 2.x  After 4.5, it became my primary posing application. Genesis 2 was such a headache in my other application, that 4.7 became my only posing app.

PC+? There's enough V4/M4 content in it that I may decide to renew after next month.

But quiet? Ask my ex-wife - quiet means I'm done.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Funny, I've had stuff on my wishlist for a year. Maybe I'm weird, but I generally put anything that looks really cool and that I might want to pick up at some point. Mainly so I don't forget it exists.

I use my wishlist as much as a bookmarking app as a wishlist: When I see something I want but can't afford, I wishlist it; When I see something I may be able to use for an idea I may or may not decide to do something with, I wishlist that, too, so I'll be able to find it later. Once in a while, I go through my wishlist and remove things I know I won't be using afterall, or older stuff that I won't need because a newer version/variation came out that I want instead. And I still have things in there I wishlisted when I first got started, a good year and a half ago. When I actually need one of those, I'll purchase it.