Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Hey, nice faerie, Sonja!

The blue background really sets of the green/gold color scheme - and I like the way the faerie's colors are reflected in the background.  Are there emissive colors in the wings or is that just lots of light?

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

@Dracorn  the wings are not emmissive, its partly the lighting (Marshians Rim LIght Rig) partly Dodge and Burn in Photoshop and partly just the colors on the wings themselve (Sveva's Tianna wings}

And thank you!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Bow for Hire

Character is Jo for G3F and G8F.

This has wonderful lighting and she looks awesome!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

@Dracorn  the wings are not emmissive, its partly the lighting (Marshians Rim LIght Rig) partly Dodge and Burn in Photoshop and partly just the colors on the wings themselve (Sveva's Tianna wings}

And thank you!

OK.  I have my eye on those wings... but my pockets are spare so I will be taking advantage of a prime sale for a G8 character.  Ah well, that's another one in the wishlist.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

The hunchback render is amazing. Not just visually appealing but also radiates with emotion. 

Novica said:

Bow for Hire

Character is Jo for G3F and G8F.

This has wonderful lighting and she looks awesome!

Thank you!

The hunchback render is amazing. Not just visually appealing but also radiates with emotion. 

Thank you!

This is Lavender.  I think this may be one of my favorite renders to date.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Lavender looks really good in your render. I love the pastel treatment overall. Just lovely.

Thank you!  I did finally get her loaded into my gallery...

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

Yes, you really nailed it with Lavender.  Everything just fits.

Thank you very much Diomede!

edited March 2018

A simple portrait.  I like the fact that this character is for both G3F and G8F.  This is Isae by Akasha & Anain.  Minimal post work on this one, I used the BOSS lights and usually with those, I don't need to do a whole lot in post.

ISAE.jpg
    593 x 960 - 34K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 957

IceDragonArt,

I want to thank you for taking the time to look at my work. I have so much to learn, but you took the time to comment and helped me. I appreciate that so much. I don't usually say a lot because I'm not that educated about art styles, techniques, composition, etc, so I rarely feel I have something worthy to say apart from what I like. I would say it's great or good job, but that doesn't really say anything more than, "I like it." I love Lavender. I like the pose, the look. I like the colors. The character, the hair, the clothes, the background. Each element is nicely fitted together so that the whole is a wonderful effect.

Also, your Isae portrait is nice. Kind of cool. I could see her sitting on a bench seat by a bay window on a rainy, overcast day, with that same look. Strange, but that's what I see in my head. Wish I had something else smart to say, but I don't, so I like it.

A simple portrait.  I like the fact that this character is for both G3F and G8F.  This is Isae by Akasha & Anain.  Minimal post work on this one, I used the BOSS lights and usually with those, I don't need to do a whole lot in post.

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited March 2018

Thank you! And thank you for taking the time to wade through everything lol!  I should actually go back and have a good look at the beginnings myself as this thread is close to coming to an end. Apparently, I talk a lot lol

Hope it isn't coming to an end... Gonna start a new one? I like the recent portrait with the sidelight. I wonder what it would look like if a faint keylight caught the edge of the other side of the head just a little bit. I haven't heard of the BOSS light. Do you play with primitive planes as emissive lights at all? I have been doing that a bit lately. I also like the Ghost Lights set.

Keep  on keeping on!

:)

Post edited by Rakuda on
    Wanderer said:

IceDragonArt,

I want to thank you for taking the time to look at my work. I have so much to learn, but you took the time to comment and helped me. I appreciate that so much. I don't usually say a lot because I'm not that educated about art styles, techniques, composition, etc, so I rarely feel I have something worthy to say apart from what I like. I would say it's great or good job, but that doesn't really say anything more than, "I like it." I love Lavender. I like the pose, the look. I like the colors. The character, the hair, the clothes, the background. Each element is nicely fitted together so that the whole is a wonderful effect.

Also, your Isae portrait is nice. Kind of cool. I could see her sitting on a bench seat by a bay window on a rainy, overcast day, with that same look. Strange, but that's what I see in my head. Wish I had something else smart to say, but I don't, so I like it.

You are most welcome! And a simple I like this is always welcome, although I would say that I always appreciate the kind of comments you just made.  She would look great on a bench tucked away overlooking the sea... or just stop by and say hello!  I've had so much help and encouragement from the people here so I am always very happy if I can help someone out. 

Although I'm just starting to learn this side of things, I think I actually understand what this is and how it works. Thank you for sharing it. 

So I've been spending a bit of time watching more Photoshop videos ( our son bought us a bluetooth DVD player for the bedroom so we can stream netflix etc on that TV and lo and behold, I can watch YouTube with it on a 32 inch screen and can either follow along on my laptop or work on other stuff while watching) and discovered another way to dodge and burn that I like much better than the using the grayscale method or painting it directly onto the layer.  It looked complicated at first but turned out to be surprisingly simple.

Make a copy of your original image and either rename your project and save or lock your original so you don't accidentally work on it.

Add an adjustment layer of curves and clip it to the copy layer.  Name it Dodge (or whatever you want lol).  Using the line, increase the highlight to the brightest that you want to go with your dodging (this makes sure you don't over dodge or burn).  Add a layer mask and invert it so its black.  (this will flip the effect of the curves so the image looks normal until you start painting in your dodge and burn) Make sure your paint brush is set to white and you are ready to go.

Do the exact same thing (make sure you clip the Burn layer to the Dodge layer so it only affects the copy layer and none of your other layers.) Don't forget to invert your mask to black!

And that's it, now you can dodge and burn with a lot more control and can easily paint back if you go a bit overboard by changing your brush to black.  I usually put my opacity down to about 10-20% and the flow below 50% and build the effect up slowly but you can do it however you want of course.  And, its super quick to set up.

One of the reasons I like this method the best is because I can control how dark or light the adjustment layers are so I don't over burn or dodge and it seems to really help with keeping the original tone of the image.  I have found especially when directly dodging and burning, it can really change the color and turn things rather reddish or greyish if you go just a touch too far.

I will try and remember to take screenshots the next time I set it up and post them as well.

Rakuda said:

Thank you! And thank you for taking the time to wade through everything lol!  I should actually go back and have a good look at the beginnings myself as this thread is close to coming to an end. Apparently, I talk a lot lol

Hope it isn't coming to an end... Gonna start a new one? I like the recent portrait with the sidelight. I wonder what it would look like if a faint keylight caught the edge of the other side of the head just a little bit. I haven't heard of the BOSS light. Do you play with primitive planes as emissive lights at all? I have been doing that a bit lately. I also like the Ghost Lights set.

Keep  on keeping on!

:)

I do occaisionally play with lighting but to be honest, I just don't have time at the moment. I do love emissive lighting but at the moment, I tend to rely fairly heavily on light sets although I do frequently tweak those to suit what I need.  I do one to two promos every day of the week and I work a day job so that doesn't really leave a lot of time for me to really explore some of the things I would like to dig in to deeper at the moment.  Not complaing, doing the promos has pushed my art to a whole new level for which I am very grateful.  But of course, there is always more to learn lol! I try and learn something new on a regular basis and then piece it together as I go.

Oh and yes, I will definitely start another but threads are closed after 100 pages lol.  I will have to think of a good name for the next one.

edited March 2018

I love the fae.  I love everything about fairies, elves, etc etc.  With wings, without wings, whatever lol.

The outfit, which for the life of me I can't remember off hand, I re did with the metal textures.  Nothing wrong with the texture it had, but I wanted bright and shiny for this one.  Once I remember which one it is I will add it to this post.

ANJELICA.jpg
    593 x 960 - 96K
    edited March 2018

@IceDragonArt - I really like this fae a lot. Something in the face, the features, the look. Well done. It's as if she's about to say something, or maybe something has happened and she cannot yet say anything. There is something more in the moment of this image than the moment itself. 

Post edited by Wanderer on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I love the fae.  I love everything about fairies, elves, etc etc.  With wings, without wings, whatever lol.

The outfit, which for the life of me I can't remember off hand, I re did with the metal textures.  Nothing wrong with the texture it had, but I wanted bright and shiny for this one.  Once I remember which one it is I will add it to this post.

Absolutely love this one!

Suggestion for your next thread- same name, Part 2. It helps  people find your thread(s) and you can put a link to the first one in the first post. (LOL, I have a teeny bit of experience with continuing threads...) But seriously, people get in the habit of looking for a particular title, as sometimes subscribing fails. I know I had about fifteen posts on my thread the past day or so, and I only got told about three of them. Three! 

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

She’s beautiful. I love the retexturing.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited March 2018

You keep getting better and better! Lovely fae.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,482

Stop being so prolific. You're ruining the curve for the rest of us.

@Novica, I will take your advice.  I can't think of anything better anyway lol.  And thank you!

@MollyTabby thank you!  Its fun to give a new look to stuff, it makes it a bit more my own.  Plus, I have to justify the ridiculous amount of shader sets I have lol.

@RGcincy, thank you very much!

@greybro sorry!  The whole deadline thing is the real culprit!

edited March 2018

Another fairy...

FAIRY ALVINA.jpg
    869 x 960 - 214K

Even though I'm a bit late on it, @IceDragonArt, thank you for linking me to these tips on postwork. I can't wait to dive in. Well, actually, I could wait, but that never gets me anywhere. cheeky

@Wanderer, always happy to help.  If something isn't clear let me know.

Will do.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666

Another fairy...

What a lovely fairy portrait!

Trish

This discussion has been closed.