Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Great work Peter, and again I am impressed with your patience!

As for casting shadows - don't forget you could always prevent the clouds casting shadows and provided your sun is out of camera sight, use a fuzzy object to shield part of your scene from the light instead. I don't know if this would prove more render efficient but it might be easier to set up.

1 - material settings
    2 - shows flattened fuzzy sphere from above
    3 - shows shadow - sphere left showing in top right (but it could be shuffled out of the way)
    4 - where to turn off cloud shadow settings for those that don't know.
    5 - a mixture of the lighting taken from the following tutorials.

Bryce 20 minute scene lighting project - the Xyzrgb Stanford Dragon - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 5 minute scene project - turn your Xyzrgb dragon scene into a Vicky scene - by David Brinnen

Xyzrgb_dragon4_v2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 365K
    Image7.jpg
    669 x 574 - 181K
    Image6.jpg
    1047 x 693 - 138K
    Image5.jpg
    920 x 718 - 552K
    Image4.jpg
    663 x 532 - 159K
  • AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited September 2012

Just for fun...
    Some toons I created a few years ago with wings3d and made poseable with anim8tor.

@David.... very nice light effects at dragon render...

cartoons.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 76K
    Post edited by Atlantis on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Ooh I like Laurel and Hardy.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 1969

Great toon characters. And yes, Dick und Doof are funny.

edited December 1969

Hahahah... I watched long ago every friday "Dick und doof " on german TV...

• edited December 1969

Great work Peter, and again I am impressed with your patience!

As for casting shadows - don't forget you could always prevent the clouds casting shadows and provided your sun is out of camera sight, use a fuzzy object to shield part of your scene from the light instead. I don't know if this would prove more render efficient but it might be easier to set up.

1 - material settings
    2 - shows flattened fuzzy sphere from above
    3 - shows shadow - sphere left showing in top right (but it could be shuffled out of the way)
    4 - where to turn off cloud shadow settings for those that don't know.
    5 - a mixture of the lighting taken from the following tutorials.

Bryce 20 minute scene lighting project - the Xyzrgb Stanford Dragon - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 5 minute scene project - turn your Xyzrgb dragon scene into a Vicky scene - by David Brinnen

Hello David,

Excellent advice as always!

I recall you using this technique in one of your tutorials [or was it Horo?] but i forgot about it.

It did occur to me later, but i had already got the render going.

I think there will be many situations in the future were i will use your technique. I came to the method i used in this picture from Animation. I usually animate the clouds and then the shadows are very realistic and in sync as they move and roll over the hills. But for still scenes your method will prove very useful.

Kind regards

Peter

• edited September 2012

Horo said:
    @Erich - this is a great render of a ringed planet and foreground terrain with fog.

@Peter - excellent render. You're right about the sky, it fits perfectly into the scene. I'm also a bit of a Bryce purist though I do use other applications for objects at times. But post production is a no-no. If I can get a better picture using Photoshop, I know I didn't do my job right.

Thank you Horo,

Yes there are two different approaches to it. There are Photoshop graphic designers like Michael Frank who use Bryce to make fantastic models and then composit them with all kinds of Photoshop effects. That is easy to do with layers in Photoshop. Frank then does not have the horrible rendertime and memory problem we have. But he knows that Bryce is the best modelling application in the universe to get the source material he wants. Well that is a valid way of doing thinks. Your approach and my approach are valid too.

I have spent over $10,000 over period of a decade upgrading LightWave3D [which is now 64-Bit], so i have a license to use it and i have used it and in the future i will use it to make models. There is nothing wrong with using mesh imports.

But LW3D is completely different from Bryce in every respect and not only the interface. Volumetric clouds are created via a particle system and real physical simulations so that thunderstorms and tornadoes can be created which are indistinguishable from the real thing [animations that render fast too]. Bryce is much simpler but also a challenge. I Iove Bryce but i am always tempted to use LW3D to upstage David with volumetric clouds, hah hah. That would be cheating! I suppose it comes down to our personal integrity.

And there is nothing wrong with using many 3D/4D program AND Photoshop, to create your computer art so long as all content is created by the artist. I have a license to use Carrara 6.1 Pro and in the future i will use it to make some special spooky trees.

But it is quite remarkable what can be done with Bryce-ONLY.

kind regards

Peter

PS a picture of an LW3D object i made and then rendered in Bryce 5.5 on a supercomputer [no not my computer, but one belonging to the company i worked for some years ago - i simply ran it overnight].

Volumetric_Big_08.jpg
    640 x 480 - 130K
    Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
    edited December 1969

@ Peter... Ah yes.. those incredible floating jelly fishes from Ea - 215... ;) nice render

• edited September 2012

@tlantis said:
    @ Peter... Ah yes.. those incredible floating jelly fishes from Ea - 215... ;) nice render

It was fun Erich, and an experiment - wished i had such computer power today!

I like your wide-ranging subject matter and superb renders. You are so prolific.

Speaking of Jelly fishes here are a few Bryce-ONLY renders i did some years ago and of course they are fully animatable because all the MB are linked. But i can't post animation here.

Study-Linked-11-BIGEST.jpg
    1440 x 1012 - 662K
    Study-Linked-13.jpg
    640 x 480 - 89K
    Study-Linked-10_Big.jpg
    640 x 480 - 117K
  • edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    Just for fun...
    Some toons I created a few years ago with wings3d and made poseable with anim8tor.

@David.... very nice light effects at dragon render...

Very nice composition and what a clever concept idea. I just love the pink panther and the trial he left. This really tells a story and is so well lit!

• edited September 2012

An early exploration of the subject matter using additional lights. In some ways this works well because it has not the gaudy Cactus like spline things in it [ yet ]. I like minimalism but i have also set myself the goal to create elaborate ecosystems which are not entirely mimetic but alien and believable and as disturbing as possible.

Stone_MR_Spline_11.jpg
    800 x 800 - 348K
    edited December 1969

I love these shapes.. there real looking convincing to me... Just the way Alien life could be... when seeing these the first time you wonder are they a live or not..

An early exploration of the subject matter using additional lights. In some ways this works well because it has not the gaudy Cactus like spline things in it [ yet ]. I like minimalism but i have also set myself the goal to create elaborate ecosystems which are not entirely mimetic but alien and believable and as disturbing as possible.
    edited December 1969

Yes, those spooky shapes look very interesting and elaborate. I use to say Bryce can do everything - provided you know how. If you do 3D art for a living, you would prefer to resort to tools that are more efficient to do a particular job.

I unearthed an old photograph, which has been yellowed by oxidation and UV light. That is the fate of all chemical photographs if you're not careful with storage.

Only - this is a fresh Bryce render. David and I are (also) working on a filter set to spoil renders and make them look photorealistic, using a cheap camera and lens, not as impeccable 3D art. 4 Michaels, a Bryce tree, shadow capture technique and an HDRI - and the filter.

YellowedRunners.jpg
    800 x 500 - 151K
  • edited September 2012

@tlantis said:
    I love these shapes.. there real looking convincing to me... Just the way Alien life could be... when seeing these the first time you wonder are they a live or not..

Well Erich, that has to do with using dynamism with static objects. Rashad is very good at that with his static Human figures which seem to be alive and moving. Since the stones are all instances here, one can tweek and try again with the MR ops until one gets the dynamism one wants. Then of course the render takes a long time. Therefore first do a lot of preview renders before commit to materials. Then it takes a long time with TA and soft shadows and additional lights. I am not good at this yet but i am learning.

I like the first "Alien" film [before they made all the stupid secquals]. I love the artwork of Giger. That was a great film because of what they omitted and the lighting techniques they used. I want my scenes to be absolutely terrifying but also believable and with that subtle beauty found only in the Sibelius Symphonies.

Some of your science fiction space-scenes have that elusive quality i want. Very good indeed! Do you have a gallery somewhere with all your work?

Gruesse von Australien

Peter

PS, Have been playing with some MB MR ideas tonite. Nothing great but just donkey work. It is astonishing that Bryce is so powerful that one can knock such things up in a few minutes if one knows how. The render takes much longer though.

MB_MR_Radial_010.jpg
    910 x 707 - 272K
  • edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Yes, those spooky shapes look very interesting and elaborate. I use to say Bryce can do everything - provided you know how. If you do 3D art for a living, you would prefer to resort to tools that are more efficient to do a particular job.

I unearthed an old photograph, which has been yellowed by oxidation and UV light. That is the fate of all chemical photographs if you're not careful with storage.

Only - this is a fresh Bryce render. David and I are (also) working on a filter set to spoil renders and make them look photorealistic, using a cheap camera and lens, not as impeccable 3D art. 4 Michaels, a Bryce tree, shadow capture technique and an HDRI - and the filter.

Very nice.

Yes of course you can do this. Bryce is not only the most powerful modeller but also the most powerful photo editing application. Most filters in Photoshop can be simulated in Bryce and they are even more powerful because we are not limited to flat layers. And thanks to the perfect Bryce primitives, we can get perfect optical transforms not possible in Photoshop. Still there are many challenges for great minds like you and David.

But here comes the key line.

We have to create it and then know how to use it and that takes time. Not very practical in a commercial environment where you have to pay the rent and meet deadlines for your clients. It comes down to "time is money".

But we are Bryce lovers and hopefully we don't need income from Bryce to pay the rent and buy bread.

So we can fiddle and tinker.

Fun, fun, fun dear Horo.

edited September 2012

Once upon a time....

Trees are stretched out terrains...
    Forest ground 3 terrains with different mounds added
    Grass is from from 3dplants.com

Character = Sad Sadie.. a little character i created in 2006 in wings 3d....

inga.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 70K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Atlantis,

Bryce seems quite well suited for the type of work you enjoy doing. I find your work fascinating, please keep it up as I'm sure you will. Bravo!

edited December 1969

@ Rashad Carter Thnx for nice words..

edited December 1969

It has an ambivalent feel about it. Sad? Abandoned? Spooky? Superbly done in any case.

edited December 1969

@ Horo.... Thnx for nice words....
    I have been always fascinated by the mystery and spooky things in life... sci-fi, and spooky films where my favorite since childhood ... Loved the Edgar Wallace movies... and one of the spookiest series i can remember was "Belphégor oder Das Geheimnis des Louvre " also love all the cryptid stuff, like bigfoot, nessie, mothmann , etc etc....

Even in the music i like the mystery .... I play piano ... and Piano is perfect to make mysterious tunes or sequences...

edited September 2012

Remembering this scene ???

Stan and Ollie in mid winter playing and singing the song "In the good old summertime " LOL !!!!!!!!

gosmt.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 128K
    edited December 1969

No, I don't. But I must say you got the two characters very typical and they can't be mistaken. It looks very "toonish" - like a picture from a cartoon.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh, that is terrific.

"Another fine mess you got me in Stanley"

• edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    Once upon a time....

Trees are stretched out terrains...
    Forest ground 3 terrains with different mounds added
    Grass is from from 3dplants.com

Character = Sad Sadie.. a little character i created in 2006 in wings 3d....

Erich, that is absolutely beautiful. The largeness of visual composition and the dark atmosphere work wonderfully together with the sad and vulnerable little character. I like your use of fog and volumetric rays to create depth in this scene. Also understating the vegetation and many other details makes the little character the focal point and then your eye realizes that there are so many other details lurking in the woods.

It is wonderful to discover people like you.

kind regards,

Peter

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,997
    edited December 1969

I’ve being spending a lot of time at Bryce-info watching the video tutorials by David, Horo and the others. Here are my attempts with different sky presets using David’s shoreline and lighthouse light beam tutorials. I worked mainly with the presets and made some changes here and there. Bryce already has a rich library of presets.

I did not get the beam effect, in the 2nd two images but managed it in the last one.

It’s so much fun to make one’s own land/seascapes, although I must admit, I don’t really understand what I am doing; basically trying this and that from the various tutorials.

All the renders posted in this thread are awesome especially the one with the 7 terrains and flattened sphere by Atlantis. I’m inspired to try the grass tutorial too and some of the light videos.

Any advice, feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

lighthouse2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K
    shorelighthouse1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 71K
    lighthouse-shoreline3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
    shorelighthouse2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 40K
    edited December 1969

You're making progress fast. Most of us start with a material from the library and then tweaking it. Starting from scrap is very tedious and why invent the wheel when you only have to change the tyre or the spokes?

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2012

@Mermaid
    You’ve got the sum of all the parts – a wonderful sky with good perspective in pic 1. The waves, of course need work, however, from what I’ve seen of David’s vid, getting them right is a finicky task indeed. The mountain on which the lighthouse rests might need resizing as it dominates the scene and detracts from your even-more wonderful beach. Perhaps, the lighthouse mountain could be lowered to the same level as the rightmost mountain next in line towards the foreground.

In pic 4, you’ve achieved a great lighthouse beam(s) – again, another ‘finicky’ area as David’s vid would testify. I would think, at this stage, if you could integrate the works of pic 4 into pic 1, in a ways, darken the sky - so as to take full advantage of your created beam(s), and then strike a balance between the two to create a scene that one would expect to see naturally.

Experience has told me that one can be forever changing this and that in a picture, and getting nowhere fast – particularly with the unlimited variances that Bryce has to offer. However, one has to STOP eventually, and take the plunge. A neat trick that I always use is a mirror to view the image reverse-wise. The problem with working on long-ish pieces of works is that one’s eye becomes intimately connected to the whole scene, that when the work is flipped (mirrored), it’s only then that one begins to see the faults. Another trick, too, is to give the work a break, by leaving it stew overnight without looking at it, and then view again where ‘POP’, the faults stand out.

Of course, these are just musings, so follow what you think is best, and stick with it. You certainly are a fast learner if judging from my limited experience with Bryce is anything to go by.

Jay
    PS
    Below, another cap’ from the on-going animation – will it ever be finished :) Title: "The two towers"

twotowers.jpg
    549 x 877 - 470K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited September 2012

@ Jamahoney...

I love this scene setup and the grand scale of it... and the rock material is excellent...

@ mermaid010...

Cool moody renders... The last one rocks!!!..love the silhouette style of it..And it reminds me at a scene from a old sci-fi movie called "Beast from 20.000 fathoms"..where the rhedosaurus attacks the lighthouse in a same silhouette setup...

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2012

Cheers, @tlantis - love your work, too.

The “Beast from 20.000 fathoms"...mann, that brings me back...so funny now in terms of our high-tech CGI century. They showed "The first men IN the Moon" here the other night, and just couldn't stop laughing at the moon's inhabitants - the 'selenites' (weird, wasp-like creatures with pointy bums, and human legs - who would have thought :) )

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited September 2012

A Tribute to Gary Larson ....

Love his humor...lol...

Dog, cat, text , arrows, and machines made with wings3d

glarson.jpg
    1142 x 575 - 53K
This discussion has been closed.