Render your buys! ALL TIME Challenges

SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 853
edited November 2023 in The Commons

Trying out all your new shiny things from the last couple of sales?? Go here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/650936/render-your-buys-from-current-november-sales-and-previous-daz-annual-sale

For all the other gazillion things you've amassed and never rendered out or even remember you have? Well, this is the thread to spur you on to try some of those out. smiley

Here are some challenge ideas to get you moving, from me and other members. You can add any of these 'pretend tags' at the top of your post, so we know which challenge motivated you. You can tell us a bit or a lot about your inspiration and render, and mention what you used from your library. 

Please don't be shy and just have fun trying things out and sharing it with us! heart 

If you have other "render your buys" challenge ideas, share them too and I can add some of those to this list as well.

CHALLENGES

• #AnythingGoes The catch-all challenge. Use 1 or more things from your runtime that catch your eye that you've never rendered before. That's it!
  • #4New Use at least 4 things from your libary in your render that you've never used before
  • #AllNew Use only things from your library in your render that you've never used before. (Mainly goes for characters and sets and clothing etc. If you have one main lighting set that you use for everything, that's no problem.)
  • #PickAnOrderDate The Llola method: Pick an order date and try and use lots of stuff you bought that day in a render.
  • #StuffSoAncient Go for the really old and dusty stuff in your runtime that has never seen the light of a render before. It can be older generation stuff, old props and sets. They're still great, so have some fun with them!
  • #RandomLetterSearch Type a letter or three in your search field and make a render with some of the stuff that comes up!
  • #RandomMethodOfYourChoice Use Eenie meenie miney mo, random word generators, close your eyes and point, or any other 'pick at random' method you fancy to select one or more unused things from your runtime to render out.
  • #RandomTheme Pick a theme you feel like doing or have never done before (Pirates? Prehistoric? Everyday life?) and look for some stuff in your runtime that you haven't used yet to include in a themed render.
Post edited by SapphireBlue on

Comments

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,074

I'm watching!!!!!!  :)

edited November 2023

Started out as... #PickAnOrderDate ... ended up being #StuffSoAncient LOL

#01... "Julianna Melody"

NEVER USED (2012-07-27 WOW... that's a while ago.  I had only been learning Daz for about 15 days!): https://www.daz3d.com/onyx-for-genesis-female
    CHARACTER NEVER USED (2019-12-14): https://www.daz3d.com/fw-julianna
    HAIR NEVER USED (2014-05-26): https://www.daz3d.com/little-melody-hair
    OTHER: https://www.daz3d.com/le-village-book-store

WOW this old stuff is really hard to use now... The boots don't fit the foot (no foot pose)... I had to transparent the foot and the stockings under the boot and I can't change the angle of the ankle... her legs get all bent out of shape.  

ENJOY!

01 RENDER BUYS ALL TIME 40second render DONE SIGN framed.jpg
    874 x 1034 - 153K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • Way to go Llola!!! heart Ah the challenge of using older stuff. Still looks like fun to mess around with and see what we can make out of it! You did great!

#StuffSoAncient may be my favorite category. I'll definitely be trying a lot of renders with that as the inspiration. laugh (I seem to have plenty of V4/M4 and Genesis stuff and all, even though I only started shopping at DAZ around the time G8.1 was released... Hahaha)

SapphireBlue said:

Way to go Llola!!! heart Ah the challenge of using older stuff. Still looks like fun to mess around with and see what we can make out of it! You did great!

#StuffSoAncient may be my favorite category. I'll definitely be trying a lot of renders with that as the inspiration. laugh (I seem to have plenty of V4/M4 and Genesis stuff and all, even though I only started shopping at DAZ around the time G8.1 was released... Hahaha)

haaaaaaaa... I'm sure I have more Gen4 stuff than I'd care to admit... When I was first starting out I bought EVERYTHING that was cheap... sometimes even a quarter (.25cents)... Now a days I'm a bit more selective with what I buy... NO MORE G4!!!!  I keep telling myself... not matter HOW nice it is... lol  I WILL buy old buildings.. etc... They seem to render just fine with Iray so I'm happy.  I use a lot of DOF so they make fast quick rendering backgrounds... Like the bookstore in the above artwork.  Easy Peasy.. that's me ;)  

• SapphireBlue said:

Way to go Llola!!! heart Ah the challenge of using older stuff. Still looks like fun to mess around with and see what we can make out of it! You did great!

I love ancient stuff! 

• #StuffSoAncient and #AllNew?

I was trying to use lots of my new buys for part 2 of my princess story inspired by the other Render Your Buys thread, but the ancient stuff started distracting me after Llola's entry...Sigh. It would seem there's a few of us Ancient Stuff fans! smiley

After trying 3 different V4 outfits on G8, I was ready to throw in the towel. Autofit with SY templates and what not still had things look totally crazy with the simplest of poses. I think I remember figuring out a way to fix some of it before, but it wasn't coming back to me.

I finally settled on the DAZ+ V4 Performer outfit and its textures which magically worked with a bit of tweaking, the Iray version of Jack Tomalin's Carnival, Marshian's Above the Fog, and also a hair, pose set and lighting set I hadn't tried out yet. I thought I hadn't tried out iSourceTextures' Ioana before, but nope, I had. She's rather versatile. (My lesson learned today is not to buy any more Gen4 outfits unless it's so unique that I'm willing to spend time making it work...blush)

I did this one in the new DS 4.22, which I thought I'd try alongside my usual 4.15. My usual post work of mostly clean-up and color grading in Photoshop.

Carnival at night

• edited November 2023

#AllNew

"Practical Is Cute"

Starring Topsy 8 https://www.daz3d.com/topsy-8, Bullwarg 8 https://www.daz3d.com/bullwarg-hd-for-genesis-8-male, & Pocket the Miniature Horse https://www.daz3d.com/pocket-the-miniature-horse

Shadow Thief G8F https://www.daz3d.com/shadow-thief-outfit-for-genesis-8-female-s

Desert Mage G3M (pants) https://www.daz3d.com/desert-mage-for-genesis-3-males

Angeloi (arm armor) G8M/G8.1M https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-angeloi-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-male

An anecdote from a D&D campaign (Beyond the Witchlight, if anyone is curious) I'm in. My halfling, Lady Liane, isn't sure how to get her beloved fey pony across a river that may be too risky to swim. The party sorceror, Gronk (froglike Grong race), offers to shrink the mount so Liane can carry him on their boat. Yes, in her pocket. The backdrop for this is a photo I took at Archey Fork Park in Arkansas, USA.

Practical is Cute.jpg
    392 x 555 - 112K
    Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227
    edited November 2023

Very nice renders!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • acbacb Posts: 357
    edited November 2023

#AnythingGoes and/or #AllNew (?)

I stumbled over AM's snow leopard in my collection under some dust and knew exactly what render it would result in:

Snow Sillyopard

Only three products in this scene.

Never used berfore:

I use this occasionally - but it supports the winter feeling I had in mind:

Sillyopard.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    Post edited by acb on
  • miladyderyni_173d399f47 Carrying Pocket in a pocket - practical and cute indeed. wink

acb AM's snow leopard like I'd never have imagined. smiley Sadly, that one's been gathering dust in my library too... 

• NightflyNightfly Posts: 36
    edited November 2023

#AllNew #AnythingGoes

First time using Van Helsing.
    I bought this character a few months ago, but then forgot about it because it wasn't in my shortlist. I bought the clothes and hair last week and have now used them for the first time for this render.
    The tattoos have been in my library for a long time, but I wanted to test them with Genesis 9.

My title for this render: "The last summer night of this year"

Summer Night

Post edited by Nightfly on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,662
    edited November 2023

#AllNew

This is from April 2021.  I was amused that I got so much of my new stuff in there and it looked OK. 

Futura Techwear For Genesis 8 Males
    Hover Transport
    Urban Street 
    The Dumpster
    Fvtvris Hdri
    Artist Spray Paint Set
    Container Cabin
    Vyk Dolly For Teen Josie 8
    Classic Diablo For Torment 8.1 Character, Hair Set And Outfit
    Dforce Night Runner Outfit For Genesis 8 Female(S)
    The Greenwood Vol 1 Sycamore Trees

April 21 b.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 1016K
    Post edited by luci45 on
  • Wow, super amazing renders! I need something to do now that I am all shopped out and this thread inspires me! Thank you, fellow DAZers. yessmiley

• Nightfly Helsing's looking cool and sculpted!

luci45 This so shouldn't work with all the stuff you put in there, but it somehow does! Very strange, dreamlike Sci-Fi setting...

Calliope23 Render your heart out and share! Would like to see what you create. If I remember right, you like doing a lot of princess style portraits. And who doesn't like making and seeing those?! wink

• @SapphireBlue Yep, princess style portraits. I have been wrangling with a couple renders today that I can't get quite right, so I am taking a break. A vampire A3 and a witchy V4. My mind is still on Halloween even though in my town everyone is hauling out their Christmas decorations already! smiley

• colongraphics colongraphics Posts: 78
    edited November 2023

#4New and #AnythingGoes

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/4855954814271488?edit=albums#gallery=album1854&page=1&image=1317122

First time using mal3Imagery Modern Military Combat Uniform and Modern Military Combat Accessories, Predatron Desert Depression, and DzFire Bighorn truck. I've not use the aircraft either, but that one is from that other site.

It is Armistice/Veterans Day, today, so it seemed a good time to work on something I've been meaning to try for awhile.

Hope folks like it.

Post edited by colongraphics on

colongraphics, your image isn't showing up.

• Calliope23Calliope23 Posts: 454
    edited November 2023

#Anything Goes: Pumpkin Avenue Witchy V4

I was looking through old stuff to find interesting A3 or V4 stuff I had not rendered. My attempts at A3 are still just attempts, and then I decided to stop fiddling with this current pic and post it. The background is from a 2D art background pack for sale by an artist named Sveva over at the other site. I use backgrounds that I purchase because so far I don't do well at lighting environments, but I want to learn how to do that. I don't use AI. Anyway, Items I've never used before are the dress and jewelry from https://www.daz3d.com/pumpkin-avenue-for-v4. I've used the Arielle https://www.daz3d.com/arielle character before to make an elf, but this is the first time I have rendered her with the Pumpkin Avenue props she is meant to accompany.

Pumpkin Avenue V4 8.jpg
    706 x 902 - 525K
    Post edited by Calliope23 on

Thanks, SapphireBlue. I'm so glad you started this thread. I have so much old stuff I want to render.

I like it, Calliope23. The green, purple and orange are great. I like the composition with the glowing pumpkin and skull placement.

acb, your Snow Sillyopard is wonderful!

SapphireBlue, I love your Carnival at Night. I haven't done well with fitting V4 and M4 outfits to G8 either, even with the Clothing Converter scripts. 

• oddboboddbob Posts: 348

#4new

Wonderland, yamaki rapture, enforcer and Iray add ons and puddles from iray rain set.

Rapture.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 224K
    edited November 2023

#StuffSoAncient #4New

When I picked that telescope up a year ago, I already had this idea in mind... together with lots of other ideas. Now this is a good opportunity to get that done at last smiley

Stargazing

Stargazing.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 538K
    Post edited by acb on
  • Oh my gosh, abc. I just noticed there is a giant eyeball at the end of your telescope! That is too clever! oddbob, your Terminator on the motorcycle looks great. And thank you luci45. I had fun making the pic.  Great renders in this thread! smiley

• So... This isn't a complete render, just playing around with character creation with Genesis 9. She's giving me Sandra Bullock vibes. I don't hate her. cheeky

h2.png
    700 x 910 - 1M

JasmineSkunk said:

So... This isn't a complete render, just playing around with character creation with Genesis 9. She's giving me Sandra Bullock vibes. I don't hate her. cheeky

agreed... a veeery young Sandra ;)  Well done.  I don't hate her either ... lol

• Llola Lane said:

JasmineSkunk said:

So... This isn't a complete render, just playing around with character creation with Genesis 9. She's giving me Sandra Bullock vibes. I don't hate her. cheeky

agreed... a veeery young Sandra ;)  Well done.  I don't hate her either ... lol

Thanks! heart

• Loving all the renders! yes

Thanks luci45! Yeah, fitting V4 and M4 outfits to G8 is a pain at times, but for some really unique outfits, getting it to finally work feels good!

acb Freaky cool! The eye that never sleeps or blinks? laugh

Everyday my collection of stuff I haven't used yet only seems to grow. Feels like exponentially?! cheeky Okay maybe not that bad, but it's bad. I'm trying to challenge myself to use mostly stuff I haven't used in a few projects as a challenge...

Please keep rendering and sharing! heart

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 636
    edited November 2023

#AnythingGoes

Here's Misha/Misumi from @bluejaunte.   The new purchase was Shaved Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s), also from bluejaunte.

Misha - 03.png
    1800 x 1800 - 2M
    Post edited by Olo_Ordinaire on
    edited November 2023

#AnythingGoes #RandomTheme

Inspired by Matt_Castle's "fantasy creatures doing really mundane stuff"-approach, I found the Yeti HD for Genesis 8 Male in my Runtime, that I bought shortly after starting with DAZ. The rest came naturally. wink

The everlasting Struggle

TheEverlastingStruggle.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 783K
    Post edited by acb on
  • joannajoanna Posts: 1,070

Great portrait, Olo!

And I always love the warm humor in your works, acb. Monsters doing mundane things is a nice theme, isn't it? It sparks so many ideas.

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 636
    edited November 2023

The Blacksmith's Apprentice

I bought the Blacksmith Forge and decided to take it for a spin...

The Blacksmith's Apprentice - 01.png
    2329 x 1500 - 6M
    Post edited by Olo_Ordinaire on