Pd Iray Shader Kit... WOW

Comments

• parrotdolphinparrotdolphin Posts: 110
    edited October 2015

Here's one where I used the Lace1 LIE on the main corset and skirt. I used a dark grey and black for the Layer Color and BaseColor in the LIE window.

The gloves are the PVC Base with the Black Base color and the Scales Bump.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • OK, maybe I should stop posting now. laugh

I really want to thank barbult for answering so many question so well on this thread.

THANKS BARB!! heart

You're the best!

• L'Adair said:

You know, I could see a future product that applies bra and/or underwear via the L.I.E., specifically for going under sheer and semi-opaque fabrics. There are some really nice lingerie products in the store, but they don't fit under clothes, and we don't really need to put underclothes on the models unless that part of the anatomy is going to be showing. I would buy a product with several styles to choose from, complete with trans maps so we could color them as we wanted to...  It could get pretty sophisticated, too, with separate trans maps for lace features, so you could have a pink bra with maroon lace edging, for example. And other maps as well... bump, specular. perhaps even normal maps, all to be added the appropriate places via the L.I.E. Presets like those in the PD Iray Shader Kit... Yeah, that would be a really cool product.

Is that something you could do, PD? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

That sounds like a really fun idea. I think it would have to use a script to apply the bras/panties. I am not sure how I would do such a script but I think it's possible. I have seen products add clothing or underwear to figures by using geometry shells instead of the LIE. And you could always do whatever you like as far as using LIE in the geometry shell surfaces.

Here's an interesting thread about saving LIE presets. I tried it with Eva7's Iray skin and it worked great.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22551/can-i-save-a-lie-layered-image-editor-preset

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,832
    vwrangler said:

Is anyone else having problems with missing textures? I tried to apply one of the tulle textures, and Studio said that the preset was calling a missing bump file. I looked, and there's nothing in the texture directory that could be a bump for the tulle, and it's not in the zip file, either.

Did it say the name of the missing file? You should have one called pdis1-TulleBump.jpg and one called pdis1-TulleBump2.jpg

My apologies; I just realized that I posted in the wrong thread. It's not your shaders with the missing file, it's the FabTex shaders.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,905

LIE and pattern masks are fun. I do this a lot with paisley and other patterns.

You should see this as a launch point for incorporating other patterns you can either make or get from other resources. Sometimes I go through various outfits to look for patterns I can mix and match -- Supersuit for Genesis, for example, has a load of cool patterns/textures that can work in much different venues.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

PD, your black and grey corset and skirt render is spectacular. Great final textures. Pattern on the gloves is masterful. This package is really beyond amazing.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,317
    fastbike1 said:

PD, your black and grey corset and skirt render is spectacular. Great final textures. Pattern on the gloves is masterful. This package is really beyond amazing.

I agree. That is a really stunning image and it really shows off your product. Post more!

• vwrangler said:
    vwrangler said:

Is anyone else having problems with missing textures? I tried to apply one of the tulle textures, and Studio said that the preset was calling a missing bump file. I looked, and there's nothing in the texture directory that could be a bump for the tulle, and it's not in the zip file, either.

Did it say the name of the missing file? You should have one called pdis1-TulleBump.jpg and one called pdis1-TulleBump2.jpg

My apologies; I just realized that I posted in the wrong thread. It's not your shaders with the missing file, it's the FabTex shaders.

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

• fastbike1 said:

Thanks!

• barbult said:
    fastbike1 said:

I agree. That is a really stunning image and it really shows off your product. Post more!

Thanks! This one is all PVC using Arki's great Rune outfit, which has lots of surfaces, so you can do a lot of different things with it. The hair is ElorOnceDark's XTech Dreadlocks.

P05.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 437K
  • JennKJennK Posts: 834

Okay started reading this thread out of curiosity and well I bought and paid for it. I must stop reading these threads. I can't wait to try these out this weekend and the tips on L.I.E are great as I have yet to figure that one out.

barbult said:
    fastbike1 said:

Thanks! This one is all PVC using Arki's great Rune outfit, which has lots of surfaces, so you can do a lot of different things with it. The hair is ElorOnceDark's XTech Dreadlocks.

Wow, that's exotic! My renders are more mundane and everyday.

edited October 2015

OK, I tried the Geometry Shell bra. I'm not sure it is any easier than the LIE method. It does allow the mesh offset to be set so that the bra sits further from the body for a more truly 3D look, if you are rendering it where it is visible. However that also means that you need to remember to set the smoothing collision to the Geometry Shell instead of the model or you get poke through.

Here used the silk 1 and one of the pattern textures in the bump channel on the bra.

G3F Dark Skin Geo Shell Bra.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 768K
    G3F Dark Skin Geo Shell Bra Pink Blouse.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 868K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Just to note, I was set to pass this one by, but the comments, renders (and especially the comparisons to Fabricator), as well as a 10% off coupon, made me give in and buy it.

I'm always happy to see folks excited about a product...

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Damn this product rocks so much I could almost buy it twice. :)

Seriously though, great product; and great promo images here and on the product; they make it easier to understand and for those undecided, a good help in hand; something other products often need.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2015

I'm loving these shaders, but not all clothing items play nice with shaders. The Evening Gown for Genesis 2 Female(s), (and I assume, it's predecessor, Evening Gown for Genesis) has a nice edging on the semi-opaque overdress, but it's part of the texture, not the object. So when you apply a shader to the overdress, you lose the edging. I think it depends on what shader you use for the overdress, and how close your camera is to the dress, whether or not it looks okay. The shrug would have covered some of it, but I didn't use it in this scene.

All of the fabric uses Silk 2 Base and Silk 2 Bump. The underdress adds a deep red color. The gloves add a white color. The overdress adds the Tulle Gold Dots pattern. And the belt uses Metallic Color Gold at Strength 1.0.

The figure and dress were rendered in Iray with no background. The background, (Easy Backdrops, with my own wallpaper) was rendered in 3Delight, (unenclosed, it was taking forever to render in Iray.) I composited the two images in Photoshop, using a second layer of the iray render to create the reflection on the floor.

Evening Gown with PD Iray Shaders, by L'Adair

Evening-Gown-01-Composite.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 435K
    Post edited by L'Adair on

I've decided that Geometry Shell is the better way to go (instead of LIE) for the pseudo-bra. I started having trouble with the LIE version on some skins, because there were too many maps to mask. Some had images in translucency, glossy layered weight, etc. Not masking those caused something that looked like show through. Plus, the bra I drew in Photoshop was for the G3F base UV. It doesn't fit well on other UVs, like Teen Josie 7. With a Geometry Shell, it can use the G3F base UV even if the character it is applied to uses a different UV.

L'Adair, that evening gown is very nice looking, almost iridescent. If you are energetic, you could use the geometry editor to create additional surfaces in it.

L'Adair said:

I'm loving these shaders, but not all clothing items play nice with shaders. The Evening Gown for Genesis 2 Female(s), (and I assume, it's predecessor, Evening Gown for Genesis) has a nice edging on the semi-opaque overdress, but it's part of the texture, not the object. So when you apply a shader to the overdress, you lose the edging. I think it depends on what shader you use for the overdress, and how close your camera is to the dress, whether or not it looks okay. The shrug would have covered some of it, but I didn't use it in this scene.

All of the fabric uses Silk 2 Base and Silk 2 Bump. The underdress adds a deep red color. The gloves add a white color. The overdress adds the Tulle Gold Dots pattern. And the belt uses Metallic Color Gold at Strength 1.0.

The figure and dress were rendered in Iray with no background. The background, (Easy Backdrops, with my own wallpaper) was rendered in 3Delight, (unenclosed, it was taking forever to render in Iray.) I composited the two images in Photoshop, using a second layer of the iray render to create the reflection on the floor.

Evening Gown with PD Iray Shaders, by L'Adair

What did you mean when you said:

using a second layer of the iray render to create the reflection on the floor.

Sounds like something I need to know about. :)

edited October 2015
    nicstt said:

What did you mean when you said:

using a second layer of the iray render to create the reflection on the floor.

Sounds like something I need to know about. :)

This is slightly technical, but if you know how to use Photoshop or Gimp, it should make perfect sense:

• I opened both images in Photoshop.
    • I dragged the Iray rendered (subject) image onto the background image, moving it until the bottom and sides were aligned. (there is some shadow that cuts off at the bottom and sides, even though it's not obvious in the finished image.)
    • I duplicated the subject image and flipped it vertically.
    • Holding down the ctrl key, I double-clicked on the layer icon of the duplicate layer and created a selection of the layer's transparency.
    • I applied the selection to the duplicate layer as a mask. (In Photoshop, there is a small button at the bottom of the Layers window. When clicked on, it applies the selection. I do not know how to do this in Gimp.)
    • I moved the duplicate layer below the original subject layer.
    • I moved the duplicate layer down until the bottom edge of the dress on both layers aligned, then offset the alignment (down) by a couple of pixels.
    • I added a horizontal guide where the two layers aligned.
    • I hid the original subject image layer.
    • I selected the mask of the duplicate layer and changed the view to show me just the mask. (In Photoshop, hold down the alt key and double-click on the mask icon in the layers window. Repeat to view the image layer.)
    • Using the rectangle selection tool. I selected the bulk of the mask, in steps, leaving the dress and overdress below the guideline. I added black to the selection to mask those areas out of the duplicate layer.
    • Using the brush tool, set to a relatively small size, I painted the mask with black to remove the rest of the shadows from the duplicate. (I zoomed in close for accuracy.)
    • I hid the duplicate layer mask, (without hiding it's effect,) by repeating the step above: holding down the alt key and double-clicking on the mask icon.
    • With the duplicate layer highlighted in the layers window, I adjusted the Opacity setting until I liked the amount of the image showing. In this case, I believe that was 40%.
    • Because so little of the dress is showing, it's on a flat surface and there are no obstacles in front of her, this process is pretty straight forward.

I hope you find this level of detail useful/helpful.

-Anita

Edit: If I got click/double-click wrong anywhere, I apologize. I did the above from memory, without PS open for reference.

barbult said:

L'Adair, that evening gown is very nice looking, almost iridescent. If you are energetic, you could use the geometry editor to create additional surfaces in it.

To be honest, I've never had much luck selecting polys for the geometry editor. Large sections, no problem, but something like the edging for the dress? Not so much. lol

I'd have better luck adding an edging in Photoshop.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,905

If it were me, I'd probably take the dress texture and try to extract stuff like edging to use with masking to transform into other patterns.

@L'Adair

TY, I've combined layers, but not using masks, I must try that. A friend is doing a course at uni on 3D graphics, I'll borrow his laptop as he has photoshop on it - I just can't get the hang of Gimp.

If it were me, I'd probably take the dress texture and try to extract stuff like edging to use with masking to transform into other patterns.

I tried that first, Will. However, tiling becomes an issue. The bump maps, for example are set to 2. And the patterns I toyed with go as high as 20. But the image maps need to be at 1.

I've since thought about a second instance of the overdress with the transmap set to hide everything but the edging. I'd have to scale it up slightly so the shader processed layer wouldn't show through... 

I'll report back here if that works or not.

-Anita

nicstt said:

@L'Adair

TY, I've combined layers, but not using masks, I must try that. A friend is doing a course at uni on 3D graphics, I'll borrow his laptop as he has photoshop on it - I just can't get the hang of Gimp.

Having worked with PS for years, I could never get the hang of Gimp, either. Too bad, though. The price of Gimp is much easier on the wallet. (Though I don't subscribe to any of the CC programs. I have CS6.)

edited October 2015
    L'Adair said:
    I've since thought about a second instance of the overdress with the transmap set to hide everything but the edging. I'd have to scale it up slightly so the shader processed layer wouldn't show through... 

Okay. It works like a charm. Of course, one needs to be proficient enough to create the transparent map with the edging in pure white and the rest of the image pure black. If I get permission from the ptb, I would be happy to share mine.

It's pretty simple. Load the evening gown twice. Apply the fabric shaders to one copy. Select the second copy and in the parameter, scale both the X and the Z to 101%. In the Surfaces Editor, select the second evening gown. Under Cutout Opacity, click on the image, browse to the location of your modified trans map, and select it. Your done. And if you forget to convert the second evening gown to iray, it will look fine... I just noticed I did these without converting the second dress.
    laugh

As well as showing the edging, this image shows how different a single change can be. All dresses have the Tulle with Gold Dots pattern applied to the overdress. On the left, the tulle is white, the middle has black tulle, and the right dress has pink tulle. I swear, this is more fun than playing with my Barbie dolls ever was. And more addictive.

Evening Gown tulle color comparison, by L'Adair

Evening Gown 01 Composite and color camparison.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 2M
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

For those who can't get the hang of gimp (holds hand up) you can photoshop elements for much much less than the full cost of photoshop and can do 90% of what the full version does. I have no problem doing what's described in most of the discussions about postwork and modifying etc in the elements program.  Its less than $100 for the elements program.

• MavroshMavrosh Posts: 111

Hello! I did some of the promo works for this and I loved this right from the beginning, when I started the testing.... what I love most about it is the endless possibilities and also the fact that we can easily customize the shaders for new looks and color combinations.

Here for example I tweaked the metal overlay to a dark green by simply changing the color of the metal flakes:

See what I mean? Since I have these shaders, I keep on using them constantly. Also - some of the options also work great in combination with other sets. If you for example own  the Mec4D metal shaders for Iray, you can use those with the bump options of this set.... tried that and had great results for sci-fi related pictures.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,261

Can you save the combinations that you come up with in a personal library? So you can apply the same surface to a different item a couple of weeks later, or is it rebuild from scratch each time?

• MavroshMavrosh Posts: 111
    JOdel said:

Can you save the combinations that you come up with in a personal library? So you can apply the same surface to a different item a couple of weeks later, or is it rebuild from scratch each time?

Did not think about it yet but maybe it works if it is simply saved as a normal shader preset? Will give it a try when I have Studio running.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,261

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm used to saving seamless tiles from packages as presets for Fabricator. And it would make sense when you had something that you really liked to be able to do the 'Copy Selected Surface', slap it onto a flat plane for the camera, and save it out in your own library. If, that is, one can be sure of getting all of the bits and bobs that go into it with a basic copy/paste.