[Fisio SB addOn released] Fisio: Physics Simulator

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

tsroemi said:

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know that for me at least, the missing second file for the Soft Body Add-on has now shown up in DIM, and I could download it. So I reckon customer service has fixed the problem.

Yes, it is in DIM now, but does it work? I previously installed it from the Product Library and it worked fine. Now I downloaded and installed the DIM package. The plugin has disappeared from Daz Studio. I am running the beta DS. DIM says it installed it for the beta. I did not have DS running when I installed. I have closed and reopened DS twice and Fisio SB plugin is not present. I'm going to try to go back to the Product Library method and see if I can get this working again.

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,383
    edited July 2023

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know that for me at least, the missing second file for the Soft Body Add-on has now shown up in DIM, and I could download it. So I reckon customer service has fixed the problem.

Yes, it is in DIM now, but does it work? I previously installed it from the Product Library and it worked fine. Now I downloaded and installed the DIM package. The plugin has disappeared from Daz Studio. I am running the beta DS. DIM says it installed it for the beta. I did not have DS running when I installed. I have closed and reopened DS twice and Fisio SB plugin is not present. I'm going to try to go back to the Product Library method and see if I can get this working again.

No, it doesn't work. And the zip in the Product Library doesn't work either!

I reported this to DAZ.

Post edited by Alberto on

Alberto said:

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

I reported this to DAZ.

angry You are right. Daz has now completely broken it.

So, to get it working again:

• I uninstalled Fisio SB Soft Bodies AddOn Win 64 from DIM
    • I downloaded the bad version again WITHOUT INSTALLING AFTER DOWNLOAD
    • I retrieved my good copy from my July 18 system backup
    • I copied the July 18 zip and dsx to my DIM downloads folder
    • I installed it again with DIM
    • I reloaded the saved Workspace that includes the Fisio SB pane in my docked pane group.

Thanks goodness for good backups.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,282

barbult said:

Thanks goodness for good backups.

Old computer mantra back it up, back it up, then back it up again 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,409

barbult said:

Alberto said:

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

I reported this to DAZ.

Okay, thanks guys! I think I saved my manual download from yesterday somewhere else as well, just in case ... But I'm gonna wait maybe a day more for DAZ to sort this all out themselves before I try and install that instead. For now, I'll just hold off installing a little longer. 

I'm truly sorry for you, Alvin, that the store is making such a mess of your release, and not for the first time, either. Thank you for keeping calm and patient and still developing great plug-ins here for us folks. 
    And thanks barbult, you've become sort of the USC and Interesting-plug-ins guardian angel by now ;-)

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

Alberto said:

Set the cohesion to 25, for example, and the friction to 1.0. I tested these values and worked for me.

You can set 0 the gravity and the scale to 0 to slow down the simulation and avoid premature breaking. 

Attached image from frame 10 of simulation.

Cohesion = 25

Friction = 1.0

Gravity = 0

Scale 0

Where am I going wrong?

tsroemi said:

barbult said:

Alberto said:

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

I reported this to DAZ.

Okay, thanks guys! I think I saved my manual download from yesterday somewhere else as well, just in case ... But I'm gonna wait maybe a day more for DAZ to sort this all out themselves before I try and install that instead. For now, I'll just hold off installing a little longer. 

I'm truly sorry for you, Alvin, that the store is making such a mess of your release, and not for the first time, either. Thank you for keeping calm and patient and still developing great plug-ins here for us folks. 
    And thanks barbult, you've become sort of the USC and Interesting-plug-ins guardian angel by now ;-)

And this time I'm not the only one (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/642546/released-manfriday-s-figure-converter-for-genesis-9-commercial/p1)

And the store page isn't showing Fisio SB just now in the list at https://www.daz3d.com/shop/ 

Thank you for your patience.

mikethe3dguy said:

Alberto said:

Set the cohesion to 25, for example, and the friction to 1.0. I tested these values and worked for me.

You can set 0 the gravity and the scale to 0 to slow down the simulation and avoid premature breaking. 

Attached image from frame 10 of simulation.

Cohesion = 25

Friction = 1.0

Gravity = 0

Scale 0

Where am I going wrong?

I forgot to mention that I set the Density of the Material to 3.0

Alberto said:

When I do that it still breaks apart, but now the pieces just start floating UP.

Alberto said:

Also starting to think that even If I can get the glass pieces to stay together as the glass just sits there, once they are shoved sideways by the other object, they're just going to fly apart at that point anyway, as opposed to staying together until they hit the floor.

mikethe3dguy said:

Alberto said:

When I do that it still breaks apart, but now the pieces just start floating UP.

Maybe the fragments are too tight-packed and their borders are too rough.

mikethe3dguy said:

Alberto said:

Also starting to think that even If I can get the glass pieces to stay together as the glass just sits there, once they are shoved sideways by the other object, they're just going to fly apart at that point anyway, as opposed to staying together until they hit the floor.

In this case, work in two steps:

First, run the simulation with the unbroken original glasses. Set disabled the fragments, but parented to their corresponding glasses.

Look for the frame when they are about to hit the floor, at this frame, set it as the initial frame in the time range of the Timeline. Disable the original glasses and erase any posterior keyframe of them, Enable the fragments and run again (restore the values of the materials to your original ones). The second simulation will start from the frame you set as initial in the Timeline.

The gravity is animatable, by the way (if you use the Settings Node).

edited July 2023

If anyone has installed the latest "Fisio SB Soft Bodies AddOn Win 64" package and wants to fix the installation just now instead of waiting:

Inside the folder where is installed Daz Studio, e.g. "\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\", there is now a subfolder "/4studioAppDirDataOk". This folder contains three subfolders: "/docs", "/libs/" and "/plugins". You should copy this subfolder directly to the "\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\" (or equivalent), merging them with the existing ones in this path. The FisioEngine.dll should be substituted by the new one. 

The manual won't appear listed in the Help browser, but you'll find it inside of the "\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\docs\Plugins\Fisio SB Soft Bodies AddOn" folder

For the Mac, the procedure is similar using the latest "Fisio SB Soft Bodies AddOn Mac 64"

• Thank you for the info on how to fix the installation problem, Alvin.

It fixed the similar problem with ManFriday's Figure Converter.

You're the best!

Lee

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Thank you for the info on how to fix the installation problem, Alvin.

It fixed the similar problem with ManFriday's Figure Converter.

You're the best!

Lee

You're welcome. And thank you! 

Alberto said:

Maybe the fragments are too tight-packed and their borders are too rough

So do I increase Precision in Gescon to fix that?

mikethe3dguy said:

Alberto said:

Maybe the fragments are too tight-packed and their borders are too rough

So do I increase Precision in Gescon to fix that?

It could be, although I think the solution I proposed to you is faster and more controllable by the user. 

Alberto said:

It could be, although I think the solution I proposed to you is faster and more controllable by the user. 

Okay, didn't realize that wasn't still a problem that needs to be solved. Tried to fracture one glass at Precision 3.0 and it got about 80% complete and then DS froze. Starting to wonder how feasible this is though. There are 11 glasses, and they're not all going to hit and shatter at the same time. Some will hit the chair first and some will hit the floor first. So there will be up to 11 separate frames where I have to switch from intact glass version to fractured version. If I note at what frame I have to switch for each glass, is it possible to set different "start-frame/end-frame" segments of the simulation and end up with a single, complete simulation of the whole thing?

mikethe3dguy said:

Alberto said:

Okay, didn't realize that wasn't still a problem that needs to be solved. Tried to fracture one glass at Precision 3.0 and it got about 80% complete and then DS froze. Starting to wonder how feasible this is though. There are 11 glasses, and they're not all going to hit and shatter at the same time. Some will hit the chair first and some will hit the floor first. So there will be up to 11 separate frames where I have to switch from intact glass version to fractured version.

By increasing a little the Surface adaptivity (0.05, for example), you can get smoother fragments.

But yere, 11 glasses and each one many fragments could be laborious. In my scene, there were 279 fragments.

mikethe3dguy said:

If I note at what frame I have to switch for each glass, is it
    possible to set different "start-frame/end-frame" segments of the simulation and end up with a single, complete simulation of the whole thing?

Yes, it is, although is laborious.

1. All the fragments should be parented to their original glass, and all must be disabled.
    2. Run the simulation and let all the unbroken glasses hit the floor. Then disable all the unbroken glasses.
    3. Go to the first glass, and check the frame when it hit the floor (or about to hit could be better). Erase all the subsequent keyframes of this glass. Copy the last velocity of the glass to the fragments (select them as a group and copy Velocity (x), Velocity (y) ... Angular velocity (x),  Angular velocity (y) ...). Enable all these fragments.
    4. Set the frame of hitting (or about hitting) as the first frame in the range of Timeline. Run the simulation.
    5. Disable all the fragments of the first glass
    6. Repeat steps 3 to 5 for the remaining glasses.

edited July 2023

Alberto said:

1. All the fragments should be parented to their original glass, and all must be disabled.
    2. Run the simulation and let all the unbroken glasses hit the floor. Then disable all the unbroken glasses.
    3. Go to the first glass, and check the frame when it hit the floor (or about to hit could be better). Erase all the subsequent keyframes of this glass. Copy the last velocity of the glass to the fragments (select them as a group and copy Velocity (x), Velocity (y) ... Angular velocity (x),  Angular velocity (y) ...). Enable all these fragments.
    4. Set the frame of hitting (or about hitting) as the first frame in the range of Timeline. Run the simulation.

This has gotten me some great results, thanks so much! The only remaining question I have is: when the glass fragments hit the floor they continue to move across it for quite a long time, more than is natural. I've got Bounciness set to 0.1 and Friction to 0.9 now but this is still happening. Any suggestions? Is the 'Sphere' Collision Type possibly causing this issue?

One possibility is adding a damping force to the fragments, but it looks like a force node can only be applied to a single object?

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on
  • PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
    edited July 2023

This looks so interesting, but I was on the fence as my gear is a little dated and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to wrap my head around it... but after seeing the level dedication to your work and customers, I went ahead and grabbed the original Plugin and the Soft Body Addon. I'll happily just wait for everything to be worked out with the installation stuff before actually intstalling. Just wanted mostly to support a brilliant developer making these kinds of advancements for DS and the community. Kudos!

Post edited by Phatmartino on

mikethe3dguy said:

Alberto said:

This has gotten me some great results, thanks so much! The only remaining question I have is: when the glass fragments hit the floor they continue to move across it for quite a long time, more than is natural. I've got Bounciness set to 0.1 and Friction to 0.9 now but this is still happening. Any suggestions? Is the 'Sphere' Collision Type possibly causing this issue?

One possibility is adding a damping force to the fragments, but it looks like a force node can only be applied to a single object?

If you have an object that it's much bigger than the others, it could trouble the engine. Maybe it's the floor. You can subdivide into parts the floor. Or in the case of a fixed object (as a static floor, no earthquakes), simply reduce the Density of its Material: use a value as low as needed (1.0 or less). As it doesn't move, there is no difference in its dynamics.

Phatmartino said:

This looks so interesting, but I was on the fence as my gear is a little dated and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to wrap my head around it... but after seeing the level dedication to your work and customers, I went ahead and grabbed the original Plugin and the Soft Body Addon. I'll happily just wait for everything to be worked out with the installation stuff before actually intstalling. Just wanted mostly to support a brilliant developer making these kinds of advancements for DS and the community. Kudos!

Thank you for your words and your support! 

mikethe3dguy said:

One possibility is adding a damping force to the fragments, but it looks like a force node can only be applied to a
    single object?

No, when you add a force to the scene, it works on all the present objects in the scene, unless you choose a specific object in the Active only on this body property

edited July 2023

Alberto said:

If you have an object that it's much bigger than the others, it could trouble the engine. Maybe it's the floor. You can subdivide into parts the floor. Or in the case of a fixed object (as a static floor, no earthquakes), simply reduce the Density of its Material: use a value as low as needed (1.0 or less). As it doesn't move, there is no difference in its dynamics.

Not sure what subdividing the floor would do? My floor is a cube with a single division (6 polys), so do you just mean increasing that? Floor is static, fixed. Tried reducing the density to 1.0 but saw no effect. I tried first changing the collision shape of the fragments to Undefined, and then Box - both those improved greatly on "Sphere". Why do you suggest using Sphere?

Edit: Tried "Convex Hull" and that gave the best results by far. In the manual you say "For long-shots of many bodies, prefer primitives" (over Convex Hull). I'll end up with something like 600 fragments or so - what problems do you think I'll have using that shape over a primitive? My PC is pretty strong (RTX3090 GPU).

edited July 2023

Alberto said:

mikethe3dguy said:

One possibility is adding a damping force to the fragments, but it looks like a force node can only be applied to a
    single object?

No, when you add a force to the scene, it works on all the present objects in the scene, unless you choose a specific object in the Active only on this body property

Ohh! okay, so that's an exclusion (or maybe: "exclusivity") rather than an addition field.

edited July 2023

mikethe3dguy said:

Alberto said:

Not sure what subdividing the floor would do? My floor is a cube with a single division (6 polys), so do you just mean increasing that? Floor is static, fixed. Tried reducing the density to 1.0 but saw no effect. I tried first changing the collision shape of the fragments to Undefined, and then Box - both those improved greatly on "Sphere". Why do you suggest using Sphere?

Edit: Tried "Convex Hull" and that gave the best results by far. In the manual you say "For long-shots of many bodies, prefer primitives" (over Convex Hull). I'll end up with something like 600 fragments or so - what problems do you think I'll have using that shape over a primitive? My PC is pretty strong (RTX3090 GPU).

Sorry for the confusion, by subdividing the floor, I meant to use some boxes instead only one box as a floor.

I suggested spheres because are faster, but if boxes or convex hull suits your simulation better, use them. 

edited July 2023

Alberto said:

Sorry for the confusion, by subdividing the floor, I meant to use some boxes instead only one box as a floor.

I suggested spheres because are faster, but if boxes or convex hull suits your simulation better, use them. 

I understand, thanks! Finding a big difference in rate-of-fall between the intact glass and the fragments in my first test: https://youtu.be/6OZg0u1Wyg4

I left gravity acceleration a constant -9.81 m/s2. Any suggestion as to how to tweak this to correct it?

mikethe3dguy said:

Alberto said:

I understand, thanks! Finding a big difference in rate-of-fall between the intact glass and the fragments in my first test: https://youtu.be/6OZg0u1Wyg4

I left gravity acceleration a constant -9.81 m/s2. Any suggestion as to how to tweak this to correct it?

Is the scale value constant during simulation? 

Alberto said:

Is the scale value constant during simulation? 

Yes: 1.0