the future and artists, redundancy?

Comments

• GrimmvaldGrimmvald Posts: 65

I wonder if a decision point is coming - try to keep up with the new things technology has to offer (the clip above is an example}  or choose the point where you're going to work and try improve at.  Painting, sculpture, film phtography, and I think still photography as opposed to movies.  

Anyways, I find comfort that AI cannot infiltrate everytthing:  the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle will still apply and I'd like to see AI understand or predict what our cat is going to do.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    edited June 2022

https://images.nightcafe.studio//jobs/iaGKwnIFNjE2ROi9MKTx/iaGKwnIFNjE2ROi9MKTx--PPOZA.mp4

latest 

and I DeepDream generated, Waifu2Caffe enlarged, Rife AI interpolated the previous one

EbSynthed the Deepdream results

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

Speaking of artists ... we recently did some rearranging of rooms, including the art work.  I hadn't looked at this print for a long time, but I still thinks its one of our best.  By J. D. Hillberry, everything is pencil drawing, including the tape.  Trompe L'oel.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,869
    edited June 2022

Steve K said:

Speaking of artists ... we recently did some rearranging of rooms, including the art work.  I hadn't looked at this print for a long time, but I still thinks its one of our best.  By J. D. Hillberry, everything is pencil drawing, including the tape.  Trompe L'oel.

That looks amazing :) my professor at uni did the most amazing pencil drawings of nudes, gave me a lifelong love for pencil.

Current experiments in Midjourney - the colour use always blow me away :) I would love to have a big print/painting of that on my walls

d3fcd66c-6316-4ec2-ac19-d074ad964f47_Mada_smartypants_illustration_of_a_baobab_tree_reaching_for_the_sky_sun_is_shining_through_the_leaves_african_savanna.png
    2304 x 1024 - 3M
    edb8e9cc-9ebd-4b8c-8283-535841689b34_Mada_smartypants_illustration_of_a_baobab_tree_reaching_for_the_sky_sun_is_shining_through_the_leaves_african_savanna.png
    2304 x 1024 - 3M
    f99986bb-9bd3-4ae7-b727-4d37662864ab_Mada_smartypants_illustration_of_a_baobab_tree_reaching_for_the_sky_sun_is_shining_through_the_leaves_african_savanna.png
    1152 x 512 - 874K
    Post edited by Mada on

I am tempted to buy actually some credits (not too many) and do a better video

Mada said:

Current experiments in Midjourney - the colour use always blow me away :) I would love to have a big print/painting of that on my walls

I happen to be reading this currently: "Destiny's Road is a science fiction novel by American writer Larry Niven, first published in 1998. It follows Jemmy Bloocher's exploration of Destiny's Road, a long scar of once-melted rock seared onto the planet's surface by a spaceship's fusion drive. Jemmy is descended from the original Destiny colonists, who were stranded when their landing craft (which created the Road) deserted them.  The novel is set several hundred years in the future, on an Earth-like planet named Destiny, along a length of fused bedrock known as the Road."  There is a LOT of description of the weird native plants which your impressive images bring to mind.  Here is the novel's cover (front and back) which gives a small sample.  Very weird.

DESTINY'S ROAD | The Art of Michael Whelan

edited June 2022
    Post edited by Mada on

Mada said:

Larry Niven is one of my favourite scifi writers, I have all his books. A lot of my love of illustration and why I decided to study art is because of the images on old scifi books - I would study them in detail :)

Same for me with Niven.  An alltime favorite story is "Inconstant Moon" with its great first sentence: "The moon is bright tonight. Far, far too bright."  The title is from Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliette", and I recall reading Niven saying he was proud of writing a (SciFi) love story.  

longer NightCafe Studio video

(upscaled and interpolated)

WendyLuvsCatz said:

longer NightCafe Studio video

(upscaled and interpolated)

Very cool, "DeepDream" indeed.  As in fractal style endless deep.  cool

edited July 2022

I must cut it up in Gimp and use Philemo's cutouts on it

or just model it wink

everyone else free to use even as a background heart

https://creator.nightcafe.studio/creation/qf9qn47TZTfWn3jjfNqC

a video

qf9qn47TZTfWn3jjfNqC.jpg
    992 x 752 - 171K
    edited July 2022

This is pretty cool :) More ways artists are making use of AI as a tool

Prettly pleased with these Butterfly cards too

Mada_smartypants_butterfly_magical_symmetrical_symmetry_flower__8a07a287-bf34-4f30-930e-09ec0a8a48c1.png
    1152 x 2048 - 4M
    Mada_smartypants_butterfly_magical_symmetrical_symmetry_flower__de959420-3d0d-4c02-a677-4039a657b98f.png
    1152 x 2048 - 4M
    Post edited by Mada on

those butterfly cards while beautiful, honestly terrify me about the future of one being an artist as a proffession

I don't doubt art will continue to be a vital human endeavour but corporations paying people for it when an AI can do that

enough people draw etc as a hobby, take happy snaps and the rich public domain legacy of art provides a huge amount of data to work with without paying anyone

another Ai video from me

WendyLuvsCatz said:

another Ai video from me

Kinda creepy, in a cool way.  yes  How did you do the music?

Steve K said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

another Ai video from me

YouTube Audio Library blush 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

YouTube Audio Library blush 

My kind of video audio.  yes

edited July 2022

click video

I feel more creative applying Deep Dream filters to my photographs though

In a cutting-edge anatomical study by the video artist Kate Cooper, the camera skitters through a digital model of a human body, slice by slice, like Leonardo playing with an MRI machine."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/13/arts/design/painting-nahmad-contemporary-computer-digital.html

NYTimes Art Video.jpg
    1366 x 2048 - 227K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

Most of this conversation is way beyond my comprehension level.  Having said that, the examples Mada has provided are amazing.  As are the backgrounds, videos, etc Wendy and Steve have linked.  Amazing stuff.

Steve K said:

In a cutting-edge anatomical study by the video artist Kate Cooper, the camera skitters through a digital model of a human body, slice by slice, like Leonardo playing with an MRI machine."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/13/arts/design/painting-nahmad-contemporary-computer-digital.html

behind a paywall sadly 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Steve K said:

behind a paywall sadly 

Yes, but the article does not have the video, just the still image I attached.  So we can imagine what it would look like.  Attached is another I found humorous: "Representing those trying new tools is the painter Julien Nguyen, who has a reputation for applying Renaissance methods to contemporary idioms. His digital portrait of a winsome youth smoking in the tub ditches brush and palette for an iPad. The strokes Nguyen laid down on the screen appear on a monitor, installed front and center, as a flurry of oily, paint-like marks."

NYTimes Art Video 2.jpg
    1366 x 2048 - 229K
    edited July 2022

video click

I actually bought some credits from them (Nightcafe) to do the footage used in this

upscaled and interpolated 

bit annoying they charged tax though as I am not from a country that it is taxed

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited July 2022

Thought I'd share how I use AI as a directed means of reference for inspiration.  There is a completed painting, one in progress and reference for upcoming images.

Collage Maker-18-Jul-2022-01.20-AM.JPG
    1439 x 1080 - 399K
    Collage Maker-18-Jul-2022-01.17-AM.JPG
    1440 x 1440 - 499K
    Collage Maker-18-Jul-2022-01.09-AM.JPG
    2560 x 1440 - 983K
    Post edited by Cris Palomino on

I can see you all using Midjourney ones for inspiration, been collecting ones off my facebook friends posts as ideas using 3D stuff I have

they look awesome

but the Nightcafe, Wombo Dream and Dall-E mini ones I get are a bit left of centre cheeky

nothing remotely human surprise or beautiful surprise

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited July 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I can see you all using Midjourney ones for inspiration, been collecting ones off my facebook friends posts as ideas using 3D stuff I have

they look awesome

but the Nightcafe, Wombo Dream and Dall-E mini ones I get are a bit left of centre cheeky

nothing remotely human surprise or beautiful surprise

Wombo gets some good humas eith the van gogh setting. Havent tried the other two. How are you using Dall-e? I only see you can get on a wait list. 

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
    edited July 2022

LOL Dall-E mini not Dall-E 2

https://huggingface.co/spaces/dalle-mini/dalle-mini

it's a free knockoff

my humans look like ..

it can do pickles

as for Dall-E Mini surprise

Dream_TradingCard (6).jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 417K
    Dream_TradingCard (3).jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 328K
    Dream_TradingCard (8).jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 427K
    dallemini_2022-6-18_20-10-34.png
    768 x 924 - 1M
    dallemini_2022-6-18_20-11-3.png
    768 x 924 - 815K

Cris Palomino said:

Thought I'd share how I use AI as a directed means of reference for inspiration.  There is a completed painting, one in progress and reference for upcoming images.

That looks awesome Cris :D Midjourney is fantastic for concept creation and inspiration.

edited July 2022

Played around with some Viking inspired portals tonight :)

Midjourney is now open-beta so anyone can join the discord, its not invite only anymore 
    https://discord.gg/midjourney

Post edited by Mada on
    edited July 2022

still Discord sadly, not sure I want to reinstall it after leaving 3 years ago

it says my password is invalid anyway

edit reset it but honestly I am lost on Discord, I only ever chatted to a couple of people I knew before