Real Lights for Iray Mesh Emitters [commercial]

DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
edited June 2015 in The Commons

The count down has finished, the 'real world' mesh based lighting system for DAZ Studio's iRay render engine is here. based on real world physics, these light presets are a one click option for that perfect lighting setup. Works well on older scenes and environments.

Take a peek here: http://www.daz3d.com/real-lights-for-daz-studio-iray

More examples are found here: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/133651

NeonP12.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 1022K
NeonP9.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 1019K
NeonP7.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 769K
NeonMainA.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 940K
Post edited by DzFire on

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Pardon me while I "Squeeeeeeee!".

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I knew I knew those last two, but I had to go digging... SKU's back in the low-to-mid 4 digits, and they look AWESOME with the lighting. (That last should be a new promo for Skyline hall!)

They look absolutely lovely, but...the description is a bit vague. What does it do? I could only dream that it'll go through the surfaces in a scene and find the ones that look like lights, and assign good neon-ish emissive settings to them...

-- Morgan

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

That exactly what you do. Go through the surfaces and find something like 'LightBulb'. Click one of the 18 presets, ei 'Buld 60 Watt' and click! A 60 watt light. If, for some reason (not Stonemason's) the creator didn't add that surface material, add a primitive, place and apply the shader.

edited December 1969

Real world settings using physical based lighting of kelvin, lumins, and wattage.

RLDSI.jpg
    706 x 412 - 61K
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

I believe the technical term here is, "Whoa!"

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Oh, very nice! Thanks for the explanation... Yeah, that'll be a heck of a timesaver!

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Yeah, that'll be a heck of a timesaver!

Yes it is. I was able to render everything in this gallery in less then a day. http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/133651

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Pardon me while I "Squeeeeeeee!".

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    must have.
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990
    edited December 1969

Great idea! :D
    I was fiddling around with the light emitting surface earlier today, and this will safe a lot of time.
    Though, what I did realize is that with many environments, you don't have accessible "lightbulbs", even if you have "light surfaces".
    Will your set give any pre-made helpers for that, or will we have to apply to primitives?

edited December 1969

Primitives. I couldn't possibly think of all the shapes and sizes for light bulbs, tubes, planes... Though, I do know my environments have them and Stonemason's also

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

Very nice, useful, and for Iray....three reasons why this will go straight into my cart when it hits the Daz Store. :lol:

Cheers :-)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    Great idea! :D
    I was fiddling around with the light emitting surface earlier today, and this will safe a lot of time.
    Though, what I did realize is that with many environments, you don't have accessible "lightbulbs", even if you have "light surfaces".
    Will your set give any pre-made helpers for that, or will we have to apply to primitives?

As DzFire says, primitives are handy for stuff like this, but do not overlook the (whatever it's called now) Polygon Group Editor, where you can 'carve out' some polygons from a surface and do 'things' to them, from delete to creating a new material zone (which you could then apply a new shader, such as these, to)
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

Excellent work on those gallery images! That b/w-ish one with the lights in the building at night is particularly impressive. I'm not even interested in Iray but those lights are still tempting to me. :)

Could the Campfire one be adjusted for single or groups of candles too, or does it have settings that make it best suited for larger flame illumination? They don't have light bulbs in the fantasy worlds I render. ;)

edited December 1969

Excellent work on those gallery images! That b/w-ish one with the lights in the building at night is particularly impressive. I'm not even interested in Iray but those lights are still tempting to me. :)

Could the Campfire one be adjusted for single or groups of candles too, or does it have settings that make it best suited for larger flame illumination? They don't have light bulbs in the fantasy worlds I render. ;)

The lights are based on kelvin and lumins, meaning the light given off is determined by it's size. The campfire setting applied to a candle or match sized object will give off the approximate light.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

I think you've found the thing iRay was invented for. Where's the pre-buy button?

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

I'm in -- just say when and how much.

• XtraDimensionalXtraDimensional Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Take my money, you fool!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,586
    edited December 1969

...yeah...

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg
    500 x 313 - 67K
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Wow..er....squeeeeeeeeeee!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Wow..er....squeeeeeeeeeee!

Once more, in harmony...

I can hardly wait until 4.8 comes out of beta and us non-DIM-users get to play with it. I've tried setting up some of those scenes with LuxRender lights, but nothing I tried looked as good as this.

• ogimusogimus Posts: 39
    edited May 2015

Gimme, gimme, gimme!

Oh and "squeeeeeeeee"

Post edited by ogimus on
    edited December 1969

A few more examples.

First render I applied the 'Monitor' setting to the skylight windows.

NeonP5.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    NeonP11.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    NeonP14.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

DzFire™ said:
    First render I applied the 'Monitor' setting to the skylight windows.

Ooh yes, I've never really been happy with scenes lit through translucent windows, this is exactly the sort of effect I've been looking for.

What about things like coloured stained glass?

edited December 1969

What about things like coloured stained glass?

Applying the texture map into the 'Emmision' color will do it

edited December 1969

On a note, all the examples shown were rendered using only mesh based lighting.

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Buyer here. I can get good results with IRay using mesh lights. But this will be sooooooo handy.

edited May 2015

...would love to see how this looks in sets like Jack Tomalin's Library and West Park.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...would love to see how this looks in sets like Jack Tomalin's Library and West Park.

Just what I was thinking. I've been working off and on with building up full 3Delight lighting rigs for those scenes, mostly using lots of Linear Points and AoA lights, but anything worthwhile renders very slowly on my machine. I'm looking forward to playing with this.
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

this will be mine, oh yes..

edited May 2015

Kyoto Kid said:

Just what I was thinking. I've been working off and on with building up full 3Delight lighting rigs for those scenes, mostly using lots of Linear Points and AoA lights, but anything worthwhile renders very slowly on my machine. I'm looking forward to playing with this.
    ..yeah the AoA lights render faster than the UE ones included with the set. The rub is you have to place them in all the light props in the set manually which is pretty time consuming.

BTW if you haven't done so already, a point light can be created with with the AOA spotlight by setting the spread to 360° and the Inner Angle to 100%. This allows use of the other falloff modes as well as GOBOs.

Iray does make it easier though as you can just apply the emission shader to anything in the scene to create a mesh light. Just select all the lights (or bulbs if the lights have them - don't remember with this set) in the scene, then apply the shader. No more having to manually position point lights at every light source.

Post edited by kyoto kid on