Real Lights for Iray Mesh Emitters [commercial]

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Wow! Instant buy...

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    BTW if you haven't done so already, a point light can be created with with the AOA spotlight by setting the spread to 360° and the Inner Angle to 100%. This allows use of the other falloff modes as well as GOBOs.

:exclaim:

Didn't know about this — thanks for the tip.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

Will this be available at the official launch of the DAZ Studio 4.8? Or sooner?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Will this be available at the official launch of the DAZ Studio 4.8? Or sooner?

At this point only DAZ would know the plan for Iray releases.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

I'm hoping sooner 'cause I really want to use it ;)

edited December 1969

Trying to crash the system. Mesh lighting (too many to count) and sss atmosphere.

DropThrough.jpg
    1850 x 1000 - 1M
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

DzFire™ said:
    Trying to crash the system. Mesh lighting (too many to count) and sss atmosphere.
    Holy! I just...over in the Stonemason thread, I...

So...in the spirit of 'sell your byproducts', is there any chance we can get you to sell these light kits for the various scenes?

Dreamlight does some business doing exactly that (and I own all the Urban Future light sets) and these look even better!

-- Morgan

• RainbowArtistRainbowArtist Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Well, i see everybody is all giddy over this announcement. Squeeeeeeeeel, indeed! LOL.

While I find Iray an interesting addition to DAZ Studio, I'm not so thrilled at the idea of needing to spend more money for something that I feel should reasonably be included as standard default settings. Maybe for fancy special effects, that seems fair, I guess, but not basic stuff.
    It is bad enough to have to buy a certain brand video card to get reasonable performance from Iray. Then to have to buy more lights and material shaders is more annoying. This is reminicent of when the Genesis 2 model came out and you needed buy new sets of clothes and morphs and poses or a generation conversion utility for it to work properly. And we all know how everybody loved that! :->)

So, how much is this going to cost us?
    ----------------------------------------------------

Can we use the Luxus and Reality LuxRender light sets that we already have instead of having to buy another PBR light set? Or do we have to buy an Iray version to use them with Iray?

BTW, although it is a common misconception used in marketing light bulbs, WATTS is NOT a measure of light intensity. It is a measure of the amount of wasted heat generated by the product of the electrical current and voltage used by a lamp to produce a continuous stream of visible photons of various intensities. Lux or FootCandles are the proper units for indicating luminance quantities. (1 FootCandle = 10.76 Lux).

edited December 1969

Then to have to buy more lights and material shaders is more annoying.

I'm just wondering what free program you know of comes with all the bells and whistles of a wide variety of individual light settings and shader presets. Keep in mind that this is work done by an individual and not by a DAZ staffer.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Can we use the Luxus and Reality LuxRender light sets that we already have instead of having to buy another PBR light set? Or do we have to buy an Iray version to use them with Iray?

No, the lights are not directly transferable.

But, if the lights load actual geometry, you can with this or manually adding the Iray shader and setting the emissive properties, convert them over.

If they use lights that don't have geometry and/or IES files, you can add the Iray light, then transfer the same IES file to it.

Then, once you have the conversions done, just save the altered lights to your library.

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Must. Have. This

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621
    edited December 1969

DzFire™ said:

...looks like a scene out of Bladerunner.
    edited May 2015

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    DzFire™ said:
    Holy! I just...over in the Stonemason thread, I...

So...in the spirit of 'sell your byproducts', is there any chance we can get you to sell these light kits for the various scenes?

Dreamlight does some business doing exactly that (and I own all the Urban Future light sets) and these look even better!

-- Morgan

...I'd rather it be a more generic light system than a bunch of separate ones dedicated to specific sets. Yeah it's a bit more work but the tradeoff is less expense. Keep in mind many of us are hobbyists and don't have a lot of cash to spare.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited May 2015

Khory:
    Well, there is Blender, free & Open Source, but without as big a market support as DS.
    I have no objection to PAs adding value to the software; viva la Free Enterprise ! But my budget isn't happy about it. >:(

mjc1016:
    Thank you for your helpful response about LuxRender light sets and Iray.

I got the impression somewhere in reading the forum threads about Iray that DAZ's intention was that the released version of DS 4.8 would automatically convert shaders and lights to Iray format when the Iray renderer was used. Or not convert for 3DL. If true, that would be fabulous for our workflow !

Well, we will see when it is released, hopefully with clear concise documentation. ;-P

Post edited by RainbowArtist on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited May 2015

DzFire™ said:
    Out of curiosity, what are the specs for your renderbox? I want to know if something like this will turn mine into a potato.

Take my money, you fool!

Couldn't have said that better myself. LOL
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Khory:
    Well, there is Blender, free & Open Source, but without as big a market support as DS.
    I have no objection to PAs adding value to the software; viva la Free Enterprise ! But my budget isn't happy about it. >:(

mjc1016:
    Thank you for your helpful response about LuxRender light sets and Iray.

I got the impression somewhere in reading the forum threads about Iray that DAZ's intention was that the released version of DS 4.8 would automatically convert shaders and lights to Iray format when the Iray renderer was used. Or not convert for 3DL. If true, that would be fabulous for our workflow !

Well, we will see when it is released, hopefully with clear concise documentation. ;-P

There is a shader already in the beta that will convert shaders to iray format, but it won't be perfect. You will most likely have to adjust settings especially for skin. But a good number of conversions will be good enough for rendering.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I'd rather it be a more generic light system than a bunch of separate ones dedicated to specific sets. Yeah it's a bit more work but the tradeoff is less expense. Keep in mind many of us are hobbyists and don't have a lot of cash to spare.
    You misunderstand me. In order to do the promos for the generic light system that he's (gender presumption, sorry) building, he's doing these light conversions of existing scenes.

What I'm saying is that, yes...sell the generic light system. But don't let the work to build those adapted light sets for the various sets go to waste! Sell it to us!

Sure, if we want to take the time (or can't/don't care to spend the money) we could replicate it ourselves, but some folks (myself included) will pay for the time savings of having someone else build a light set for a product we already use... And since the light set is built already...

That's what 'sell your byproducts' means, at least to me.

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

...agreed that would work.

Granted, I have a background in theatrical lighting so setting up lights is kind of second nature to me. Iray just makes it so bleedin' easy I feel like I am cheating as I don't have to place and position near as many lights as I do in 3DL. I find the Emissive Shader works so much better than using Uber Area Lights as it employes a language I understand (lumens & watts).

Never bought any of Dreamlight's dedicated lighting kits as I pretty much could do the same myself (especially now with Iray). I also tend to pull sets apart, move things around, and mix parts of different ones together (like for my Hot Town Summer in the City scene) so preset lights don't always work.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

Out of curiosity, what are the specs for your renderbox? I want to know if something like this will turn mine into a potato.L

Win 7 Pro running on an Intel i7 w/ 32 GB and a NVIDIA Gforce GTX 980 4

Nothing very fancy and almost what you can get at a Box store

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

I hope daz doesn't phase out 3d delight, I'm not a huge fan of Iray yet, but that might be because when trying it I didn't realize daz added other Iray content so i tried rendering without anything, I guess I need to search for tutorials and try again, but these light sets do look amazing.

edited December 1969

Blender is an old program that has been added to over the years by people doing non profit support. Iray has been in studio for about 2 months. No doubt in 10 years there will be thousands of free shader presets out there for it. Just about everyone got their hands on Iray the same time. PA's and customers alike so everyone has had about the same amount of time to develop for it. I know there are already some freebie shader presets floating around out there as a matter of fact. Development takes time and often those of us who dedicate our work lives to it are able to give that time to creating support assets faster, and we hope more throughly, than those who don't have a deadline looming over their heads.

edited December 1969

Well, it looks as if this set has passed DAZ's rigorous testing for iRay. Waiting for the web pages and art to be approved ;)

edited December 1969

So, how much is it going to cost? :question:

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

this might very well be the thing that convinces me to give iray another go.....

edited December 1969

Just a few more days. Here's Stonemason's new set and the Phantom Ride

PhantomLondonS.jpg
    2000 x 923 - 244K
    edited December 1969

Couple of tips for this set:

When applying light settings and you would like to keep the texture maps, hold down and apply. The 'Material Preset Load Options' tap will come up; make sure 'Ignore' is selected in the 'Images' drop down.

The presets are based on real world sizes, so, for example, if you apply the 40 Watt Bulb setting to a mesh bigger then a normal 40 Watt Bulb, it will be brighter and need to be adjusted down in the 'Luminance' drop down in the 'Surfaces' tab.

edited December 1969

Would this work on like the carnival ride lights? Would you just replace the lights with these?

edited December 1969

dkgoose said:
    Would this work on like the carnival ride lights? Would you just replace the lights with these?

Not so much replacing them, but selecting the model's light bulb surfaces and applying the mesh light shaders. Two clicks>> click on the surface - click on the shader.

One step closer to the "Make art button" ;)

edited December 1969

As long as it makes them look like light is coming out lol, starting to use Iray to get kinda familiar and cannot wait for this to get released

edited December 1969

dkgoose said:
    As long as it makes them look like light is coming out lol, starting to use Iray to get kinda familiar and cannot wait for this to get released

Oh they definitely emit light :D