Star Trek Builders Unite 7: The Continuing Mission

Comments

• galattgalatt Posts: 219
    edited November 2016

After much work and swearing I have my proto Ferengi mk 2

It is literally a combined morphed Genesis with the Hyde skin and the Cobra Queen for G3

The Hyde sjin looks a bit too wrinkly.

Is that a skin that will work on botth G1 and G3?

Post edited by Chohole on
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345

Does anyone else have problems accessing their messages around here? I can get as far as the Messge screen with "inbox" and all that. But I can not get TO the messages,

I need some help with lighting. This is an alley set in my new story. The walls actually sit BELOW the sidewalk so there's no seepage. It's even there when only one light is on- the bottom image. Does anyone know what's causing this?

LIght headache.jpg
    1000 x 1140 - 222K
    edited November 2016

Okay, this is weird. I placed a block behind the wall to stop any light- even though there shouldn't have been any seepage- and it stopped. But I'd still like to know the how and why.

mdbruffy said:

I need some help with lighting. This is an alley set in my new story. The walls actually sit BELOW the sidewalk so there's no seepage. It's even there when only one light is on- the bottom image. Does anyone know what's causing this?

Ligtht problem 3.jpg
    1000 x 595 - 62K
    Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • I worked on her a bit more.. What do you guys think, does this look closer or farther from the real deal?

render_01.png
    922 x 1023 - 2M
    render_02.png
    922 x 1023 - 2M
    render_03.png
    922 x 1023 - 2M
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

I'm not sure that you can get a whole lot closer. I showed the picts to my wife and asked her who they were of and she replied, "Kate Mulgrew".

Good job!

-- Walt

• wsterdan said:

I'm not sure that you can get a whole lot closer. I showed the picts to my wife and asked her who they were of and she replied, "Kate Mulgrew".

Good job!

-- Walt

Thank you! I have been pushing and pulling those sliders for almost a month now and yet the iterations are subtle. I am starting to think, this is where I need to let go of her face and move on.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    twistkill said:

I worked on her a bit more.. What do you guys think, does this look closer or farther from the real deal?

I suppose an artist is never quite satisfied with their own work but that morph looks spot on to me.

• twistkill said:

I worked on her a bit more.. What do you guys think, does this look closer or farther from the real deal?

You'll always get a bit of that uncanny valley as it'll never quite carry her facial expressions, but as far as a good representation of her, wow. Real close. She looks great!

• twistkill said:

I suppose an artist is never quite satisfied with their own work but that morph looks spot on to me.

twistkill said:

You'll always get a bit of that uncanny valley as it'll never quite carry her facial expressions, but as far as a good representation of her, wow. Real close. She looks great!

Thank you! I have now stopped prodding around her face. I only make a few changes if when moving the model around the imperfections seem apparent.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,881
    twistkill said:

That is a very good likeness.  I think its very obviose to any ST fan who its suppose to be.

• twistkill said:
    That is a very good likeness.  I think its very obviose to any ST fan who its suppose to be.

Thank you! I'll do a few changes and then I am moving on..

• mdbruffy said:

This year just keeps getting worse!

twistkill said:
    mdbruffy said:

This year just keeps getting worse!

Seems like.

• Im new here and wanted to know if anyone could point me towards findind a mesh or model or anything to work with for The Phoenix. I have looked at all posted databases and generally through dark corners and back allys. I cant seem to find anything. And there being a USS Phoenix doesnt help. I dont expect you guys to do all the work but if anyone has a direction i might not have thought off it would be really appreciated.

• silent13 said:

Im new here and wanted to know if anyone could point me towards findind a mesh or model or anything to work with for The Phoenix. I have looked at all posted databases and generally through dark corners and back allys. I cant seem to find anything. And there being a USS Phoenix doesnt help. I dont expect you guys to do all the work but if anyone has a direction i might not have thought off it would be really appreciated.

I wish you luck the only model I've found was in lightwave but it had so many reversed normals it never rendered correctly when imported. I ended up building a look alike which might do as a standin if you don't need a close up. Its in .obj format

St Christopher WX-13.jpg
    2000 x 1151 - 180K

I'm going to jump off-topic for a moment. If anyone here has an account with Runtime DNA, they've re-set all the downloads in our accounts so folks can get copies of their purchases before they shut down the site. I just re-downloaded two-and-a-half pages of stuff.

I'm staying off topic- but for a better reason.

There is a boy, he's five years old. He lives in North Carolina here in the States. He's fighting Leukemia. The doctors say he's currently in remission, but he has at least 3 more years of treatments.
       All he wants for Christmas are Christmas cards. Mine's going out in the morning.
      Here's his mailing address:
       Hayden Drake
       1637 Lum Buck Rd.
       Greenville, NC 27858

I'm asking everyone to send him a card. Especially those folks who don't live here in the States. I think he'd get a big kick out of getting a Christmas card from Britain, or Germany or Australia.

Okay?

• PtropePtrope Posts: 681

<peek> <looks around> Hmm, seems familiar ... ;)

Haven't been doing much Trekky lately, but I thought I'd stop in, wish folks a happy new year, and ask a question or two.

2017 will probably see me buckling down and reluctantly - but seriously - learning D|S, just because it seems like I have no choice if I want to do anything with usable characters (I got the video tutorials - maybe I'll be able to figure out lights and materials in D|S, but so far they have me totally stumped). And now that 3D Universe has released the Toon Generation 2 figures, I'm contemplating working with them and the TOS sets, so I'm going to need outifts. Any reocmmendations on what clothing works best as TOS uniforms, male and female, for the G3M and G3F figures?

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,276
    Ptrope said:

Haven't been doing much Trekky lately, but I thought I'd stop in, wish folks a happy new year, and ask a question or two.

2017 will probably see me buckling down and reluctantly - but seriously - learning D|S, just because it seems like I have no choice if I want to do anything with usable characters (I got the video tutorials - maybe I'll be able to figure out lights and materials in D|S, but so far they have me totally stumped). And now that 3D Universe has released the Toon Generation 2 figures, I'm contemplating working with them and the TOS sets, so I'm going to need outifts. Any reocmmendations on what clothing works best as TOS uniforms, male and female, for the G3M and G3F figures?

Let me know if you need any pointers. You've made so much that you've given for free, it's the least I could do.
  • nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 2016

Ptrope - There's a set of TOS textures for outoftouch's V Sweater Dress here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/84050/

or

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/g3f-tos-uniform-texture-for-oots-v-sweater-dress/76129

There's also the Trailblazer sets for Genesis 2 by Nvent3D - can't believe I forgot those!

Post edited by nightwolf1982 on
    Ptrope said:

Something to remember is that if you purchase the legacy morph sets, most of your existing H3/A3/V3/V4/M3/M4 items may autofit with minimal work.

-- Walt Sterdan

• The legacy morphs don't include autofit clones, so Generation 3 (V3, A3, etc...) and Generation 4 (V4, M4) won't autofit to Genesis 3.

• But can't you make your own auto-fit clones? Been awhile but I thought I had managed to do that at some point.

• But can't you make your own auto-fit clones? Been awhile but I thought I had managed to do that at some point.

Yes, it's just a shape.

• CricketCricket Posts: 438

But can't you make your own auto-fit clones? Been awhile but I thought I had managed to do that at some point.

You can auto-fit to Genesis and/or G2F/G2M, and then from there auto-fit to G3F/M.

edited December 2016
    Isosceles said:

But can't you make your own auto-fit clones? Been awhile but I thought I had managed to do that at some point.

You can auto-fit to Genesis and/or G2F/G2M, and then from there auto-fit to G3F/M.

Correct; I usually do the first auto-fit to Genesis, and from there I can go to either male or female G2/G3 versions (most of the clothes I use are bodysuits and other more unisexual items in general).

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • PtropePtrope Posts: 681

Thanks for the suggestions - it always amazes me how, as popular as Star Trek is, that it is so nearly impossible to find costumes that are created specifically and accurately for these characters and programs - so many ships, so few shirts ;).

I had the same problem all through Nova Trek.

I've got a new story posted for those that might be intrested:

http://mdbruffy.deviantart.com/art/Dillion-1-Waking-in-Circles-654189790

Ptrope said:

Thanks for the suggestions - it always amazes me how, as popular as Star Trek is, that it is so nearly impossible to find costumes that are created specifically and accurately for these characters and programs - so many ships, so few shirts ;).

Cover.jpg
    900 x 1180 - 202K
This discussion has been closed.