Star Trek Builders Unite 7: The Continuing Mission

Comments

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

rschulte said:
    mdbruffy said:
    New Problem: Anyone have any idea how to get rid of these lines on Worf's face? This is M4 with M4's beard.

Agreed, check the texture/trans maps on the beard... if you have a paint program which can use layers, you can overlay the template against the texture and trans map to see if the texture is covering all of the beard.

Okay, I downloaded a new copy of the beard zip because I could not find a template.
    There is no template with this beard- just color and transmaps. I even took the transmap into photoshop and made everything black except for the beard area and I still got that line.

WGDBrdVnDykT_DAZ.jpg
    1999 x 1999 - 249K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,584
    edited December 1969

That improved TOS comm' is taking a bit longer to appear at Foundation than originally predicted.

I had hoped to try it before the weekend concludes. Oh, well.

Sincerely,

Bill

• barklay_6b973f85a5barklay_6b973f85a5 Posts: 11
    edited December 1969
    Preview.png
    960 x 540 - 163K
    edited December 1969
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,051
    edited December 1969

checking in as well

edited May 2015

SGreco was kind enough to send me a copy since Foundation has yet to create a page for the model.

In these two renders we see both his new model and his earlier version. I tweaked the material settings to a personal preference, applying them to both.

While SGreco's older model is quite the valiant effort, we can see how he made it even more screen accurate by applying the subtle curve to the casing in his current model. Franz Joseph could not determine this detail from the limited resource materials when he composed the famed "StarFleet Technical Manual". That (understandable) oversight as well as others resulted in years of less than screen accurate props. Thankfully, sites like "HeroComm" have revealed gobs of information many never knew. For instance, the main "housing" of the flip lid communicator prop was based upon a ubiquitous plastic pencil case readily available at the time. Wah Chang cut apart one of these cases, removing a fair amount of its length and a bit of its width, and used the reassembled "corners" as a template for the final housing shape. When I I saw a picture of the pencil case he used, I recognized it as something I used during the second grade! Why I never saw the resemblance, I'll never know.

Anyway, if you're a TOS fan, I HIGHLY recommend this model!

Sincerely,

Bill

Comm-Compare-J-2.jpg
    700 x 500 - 118K
    Comm-Compare-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 145K
    Post edited by Redfern on
  • nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

Would be great to be able to DOWNLOAD the Model. Foundation3D wasn't the best choice for the new communicator's release, I think.

edited December 1969

Does SGreco have a DA account? He could do like I do and have a folder for his props.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Does SGreco have a DA account?

Looks like he does.

http://sgreco1970.deviantart.com/

Sincerely,

Bill

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,283
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    SGreco was kind enough to send me a copy since Foundation has yet to create a page for the model.

In these two renders we see both his new model and his earlier version. I tweaked the material settings to a personal preference, applying them to both.

While SGreco's older model is quite the valiant effort, we can see how he made it even more screen accurate by applying the subtle curve to the casing in his current model. Franz Joseph could not determine this detail from the limited resource materials when he composed the famed "StarFleet Technical Manual". That (understandable) oversight as well as others resulted in years of less than screen accurate props. Thankfully, sites like "HeroComm" have revealed gobs of information many never knew. For instance, the main "housing" of the flip lid communicator prop was based upon a ubiquitous plastic pencil case readily available at the time. Wah Chang cut apart one of these cases, removing a fair amount of its length and a bit of its width, and used the reassembled "corners" as a template for the final housing shape. When I I saw a picture of the pencil case he used, I recognized it as something I used during the second grade! Why I never saw the resemblance, I'll never know.

Anyway, if you're a TOS fan, I HIGHLY recommend this model!

Sincerely,

Bill

Remember that case as well I still had one until the fire back in 2012

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

Yeah, foundation clearly is taking the weekend off but who can blame em? I'm sure it'll be up my monday-ish lol.

Anyway, thanks for the kinds words, although seeing them side by side I don't know which I really prefer lol. I say, there's one for whichever you folks prefer hehe.

I'm looking for an other prop project. Who needs what?

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

The TOS Phasers and tricorders would be cool to get, especially if they matched the detail you put into the Communicator. Even more so if the Type One Phaser actually fit into the Type Two Phaser!

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    mdbruffy said:

Looks like he does.

Sincerely,

Bill

Then all he needs to do is get the shortest possible premium membership and set up a folder. Then his props will be available when he wants then to. DA does not take the folders away when the membership expires, you just can't set up any more.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Redfern said:
    mdbruffy said:

Looks like he does.

Sincerely,

Bill

Then all he needs to do is get the shortest possible premium membership and set up a folder. Then his props will be available when he wants then to. DA does not take the folders away when the membership expires, you just can't set up any more.

I'd rather just use 1 place, and a few days at foundation won't destroy Vulcan.

edited December 1969

The TOS Phasers and tricorders would be cool to get, especially if they matched the detail you put into the Communicator. Even more so if the Type One Phaser actually fit into the Type Two Phaser!

It's a deal.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Redfern said:
    mdbruffy said:

Looks like he does.

Sincerely,

Bill

I'd rather just use 1 place, and a few days at foundation won't destroy Vulcan.

Okay. :-)

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

RIP Grace Lee Whitney :(

edited December 1969

Completely heartbroken. I loved her. She was a sweet woman.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Completely heartbroken. I loved her. She was a sweet woman.

it is sad sad news :(

edited December 1969

RIP
    The originals are getting fewer and fewer

edited December 1969

RIP

It's not just Star Trek. King Arthur has died, too:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/nigel-terry-king-arthur-in-‘excalibur’-dead-at-69/ar-BBj80wY?ocid=ansWrap11

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    RIP

It's not just Star Trek. King Arthur has died, too:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/nigel-terry-king-arthur-in-‘excalibur’-dead-at-69/ar-BBj80wY?ocid=ansWrap11

Another great gone
    Seems like all the real actors are disappearing very few of today's actors have the talent shown by those they're replacing

edited December 1969

I don't mean to draw attention from Ms. Whitney's passing, but for those wanting it, SGreco's TOS-Comm is now available at Foundation3D.

http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=224&p13_fileid=2244

Sincerely,

Bill

edited May 2015

Redfern said:
    I don't mean to draw attention from Ms. Whitney's passing, but for those wanting it, SGreco's TOS-Comm is now available at Foundation3D.

http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=224&p13_fileid=2244

Sincerely,

Bill

Thank you, Bill. It's a shame. Just about all the actors we grew up with are gone.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Redfern said:
    mdbruffy said:

Looks like he does.

Sincerely,

Bill

Excuse me but it does not cost anything to set up a folder. I have had several. One cannot "nest" folders on the free account, that's all.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Redfern said:
    mdbruffy said:

Looks like he does.

Sincerely,

Bill

Excuse me but it does not cost anything to set up a folder. I have had several. One cannot "nest" folders on the free account, that's all.

I don't see an issue with him posting at Foundation ... if he is gracious enough toshare a freebie I think WE as a group can all be gracious enough to not complain as to where he wants to post said freebie. Thank you for the freebie Sgreco I appreciate you sharing your work free of charge with the rest of the community. A bit thanks to Matty Manx for helping him make it user friendly.

edited May 2015

mdbruffy said:
    Redfern said:
    mdbruffy said:

Looks like he does.

Sincerely,

Bill

I don't see an issue with him posting at Foundation ... if he is gracious enough toshare a freebie I think WE as a group can all be gracious enough to not complain as to where he wants to post said freebie. Thank you for the freebie Sgreco I appreciate you sharing your work free of charge with the rest of the community. A bit thanks to Matty Manx for helping him make it user friendly.

Oh there's no problem with where he's having it hosted as long as the site is working ;-)
    Downloaded, thank you SGreco :-)

Both this and the other links for barklay's TNG Display Terminal were added to the list which I've rearranged a little to make more typing room. Post is filling up fast, yes!
    And we have a spare post waiting so there's lots of room for more models :-)

Post edited by patience55 on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Foundation3D had a minor server issue - http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?p=305029#post305029

All downloads to all ships and props on F3D are active.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Foundation3D had a minor server issue - http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?p=305029#post305029

All downloads to all ships and props on F3D are active.

They've had a few ... months of ... guess minor is a rather subjective term.

moving on ... I did model a hallway, ... loosely based on a converted .obj found somewhere on my computer. Think it's one everybody has already but that's okay ... I like modeling.

This discussion has been closed.