3Delight Laboratory Thread: tips, questions, experiments

Comments

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited August 2017

Got SSS working. On the left is basic translucence, right is with just subsurface. On the second pic, the right one has subsurface plus translucence.

Of course, no subsurface test is complete without a skin test.

Rendered at 12x12 pixel samples, so took a bit of time (roughly 9 and half minutes with UE2 IDL at 8 samples) to render.

testshot1.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 257K
    testshot2.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 252K
    9 minutes 33.22 seconds.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 281K
    Post edited by wowie on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    wowie said:

Something like this?

https://www.nda.ac.uk/blog/translucent-concrete/

A feature request? Sure, I can add a switch to control the resulting translucency shadows. I'm guessing you want a slider to control the intensity as well?

That's an awesome example. Yes, exactly. A slider would be lovely, too!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

WOW... can't wait for this to be available! 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

Remind me again, does UE2 play nice with AOA lights?

Remind me again, does UE2 play nice with AOA lights?

Depends. The Adv Spot and Point lights works OK, though I just use them as basic lights without flagging.

Using the Adv Ambient Occlusion light with UE is redundant since they both have ambient occlusion.

I assume distant works, too?

I don't generally do anything fancy with lights

I assume distant works, too?

I don't generally do anything fancy with lights

I didn't test it, but there shouldn't be any problems.

edited August 2017

HOT DAMN!!! This just made my day. laugh

The raytraced 3delight SSS indeed is a proper raytraced subsurface scattering solution. We can now have actual blocking geometry underneath the surface affecting the material. No need to fiddle with transmission or opacity. It just works.

SSS.jpg
    653 x 845 - 336K
    Post edited by wowie on

WOW Wowie!  That's cool!

Other than SSS, what is the easiest/fastest way to get a little candling (ears, etc) on a figure?

If I use translucency, do I need to reduce Opacity? Diffuse?

Light leak with US and UE2... higher occlusion sampling or an issue with a shader setting?

So I have a new question.  I made a mask, black to keep things normalized on for the rest of the surface and the white to give me a fake light source to make a "jewel" glow.  What channel do I set that up in using the basic 3DL surfaces?  I'm using the Skin lighting model so I have a few more channels that using that opens up.  Thanks so much

Other than SSS, what is the easiest/fastest way to get a little candling (ears, etc) on a figure?

Unless you're talking one specific "translucency" from pwSurface, "translucency" channels won't work for meshes with volume. They are "reverse diffuse": they pick up light from the "bad normal" side of a single-poly surface, like leaves, transmapped hair, dynamic clothing.

If you reduce opacity, it will just look weird.

The easiest way to fake "candling" (is it an "official" word? I'm curious because I'm not a native speaker) is putting diffuse textures into ambient as well and using a black ambient strength map with areas painted in grey shades where you want the fake SSS. You may or may not want to balance diffuse then. Artistic choice.

RAMWolff said:

So I have a new question.  I made a mask, black to keep things normalized on for the rest of the surface and the white to give me a fake light source to make a "jewel" glow.  What channel do I set that up in using the basic 3DL surfaces?  I'm using the Skin lighting model so I have a few more channels that using that opens up.  Thanks so much

Same answer as for Tim above: ambient strength. Ambient colour is to adjust the, well, colour of the glow.

Are you sure you want the "skin" mode on the material that includes a jewel? This mode disables reflection.

Light leak with US and UE2... higher occlusion sampling or an issue with a shader setting?

Could be anything, including a bad model. Hard to say unless you provide more context.

edited August 2017

Old school way, point light inside the model with very short falloff distance. You can use flagging or light categories too, I suppose. Translucency won't work since it's geared towards simple, infinitely thin polygons. One thing about SSS with the available shaders - backscatter is mostly influenced by direct lighting.

I'd say neither. Most of the time, it's improperly modelled props - walls with single facing normal, no thickness and lack of bevel where the planes meet. One workaround is to use an envelope on the backside to cover up intersecting parts (or the entire model). Technically you can use a geoshell for that, but that is highly dependent on the model.

More or less, the same problem with glass surfaces. Can't have physically correct output with non physical models.

The rest of the time, it's a too high shadow bias value. Use something like 0.01. UE2's default is 0.1 while DAZ default lights is 1.0.

RAMWolff said:

Anyhting that glows is generally emissive so put the mask on ambient strength and set the strength to anything but zero. Also make sure the ambient color is bright enough and ambient is set to enabled. If you use UE2's IDL or bounceGI mode, it will actually cast light to the scene, depending on the total strength (strength multiplied by color) and UE2 max trace distance.

Don't put the mask in the color slot, or worse, put it in the color slot AND strength slot. Make sure the black in the mask is zero.

Post edited by wowie on

Eh, guess I'll just not worry about it. If I REALLY need it I'll use actual SSS.

Good to know about shadow bias.

Yea, figured it out earlier... I kinda figured it was ambient but wasn't sure how to do it up but then things started clicking and I was plenty happy with the results.  I like the skin mode as it makes the skin more rich looking for characters and since this is just a diffuse map and not an actual prop I can't have one channel set to one and all the others set to another as it would reveal uv seams. 

Face-Mask-Blue-Promo.jpg
    850 x 850 - 87K

Ah, it looks like at least one problem was not upping path.

edited August 2017

Ok, I've figured out the problem. AoA distant light does _not_ play well with UE2; it causes a huge amount of light bleed in touching surfaces.

Well, poo.

At least it's easy to switch to a regular distant light.

(I also suspect this is what was causing troubles I had with Marshian's Reflective Radiance)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Ok, I've figured out the problem. AoA distant light does _not_ play well with UE2; it causes a huge amount of light bleed in touching surfaces.

Well, poo.

At least it's easy to switch to a regular distant light.

(I also suspect this is what was causing troubles I had with Marshian's Reflective Radiance)

I just bet it was the problem all along :)

If you were using UE2 for IDL (which you didn't mention), then yes it's very likely.

AoA's Spot and Distant trace shadows from the surface to the light (normally "delta" lights do it the other way), and the Distant uses some sort of an unconventional strategy for this. It threw 3Delight's built-in GI algorithm off as well.

edited August 2017

Double side for non physically correct, infinitely thin plane is done. Previously it only works with diffuse, now it works with metals and glass. Roughly the same as the thin shadows / wall feature in other shaders.

I'm thinking about allowing different/separate diffuse so you can have one color/texture on one side, and another on the other side. Obviously, not applicable for glass or metals.

Front.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 561K
    Back.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 564K
    Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:
    I'm thinking about allowing different/separate diffuse so you can have one color/texture on one side, and another on the other side.

That would be useful for many models out there.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Is there any way in 3DL to have a ceiling light reflect in a mirror and be cast on the floor, like using the caustic sampler in IRay? Any shader/product/light/whatever?

carrie58 said:

Thanks carrie58! It went into my wishlist but I'm not sure it can give me the effect I want. Seems to me you're limited to using the props/lights included in the product to get a realistic look? I'll try to dig up the read me, maybe it'll give me some clues about how to use it.

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/18282/18282_easy-caustics.pdf

Ok so I went through this and I don't think it can do what I want it to do, although probably usable in some random casesfrown. Any other suggestions for reflecting a ceiling light in a mirror to be cast on the floor? Appart from using IRay?

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 2017

The only way to do caustics properly with 3DL is through photon mapping

There is a video from DAZ somewhere on Youtube to set up a "Shader Light" as well as a Camera with photon mapper with the Shader Mixer

To do what you want you also need some proper shaders but I don't think I've ever seen anybody writing these

There may be a quick way by modifiying DAZ examples.

I think the correct links are these (corrected)

Principle is following : the camera is helping to collect light information through photon mapping

Surface shaders must be "written" so as to read the lightning information

For the photon mapper tech to work, your lights must emit photon

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on

Oh wooow, this is awesome, thank you so much for the links! Opens up a whole new world! I'm off to dig deep into this, see you in a couple of years, mate! smiley