Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...one issue I notice with using just an environment map is shadows are very diffuse. This is most noticeable when an HDR setting is used (like DimensionTheory's HDR Pro sets) that has brightly lit surroundings. There is no "sun" and it always seems the subject appears to be in shadow.

Need to find a way around this.

The problem is not using HDR for lighting...it's using HDR images that are HDR in name only.

Basically, one way to look at it is, if the HDR image you are using weighs in at less than 50 MB it isn't really a suitable candidate for providing lighting information. Even if it is over that, it still may not have enough range to provide all the lighting info. With a true (like 20+ EV...exposure value) HDR image there should be no need for supplemental lighting, except for mood/effect. The 'basics' should already be taken care of.

And yes, those huge HDRs will eat up memory...but the question is, is that cost worth it?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited December 1969

...but how then do you get the stronger shadows and lighting to simulate the sun (particularly a "physically accurate" sun in the case of Iray) without adding some kind of strong distant light?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...but how then do you get the stronger shadows and lighting to simulate the sun (particularly a "physically accurate" sun in the case of Iray) without adding some kind of strong distant light?

If you have a true high dynamic range image providing the lighting, the sun is already 'there'.

Physical sky/sun should be one lighting option. HDR environmental another. They shouldn't have to be used together. Nor should they need something to simulate the sun.

Most HDRs around are really not very high dynamic range. A HDR with a high enough range will do it automatically. Also color problems/corrections won't be needed or if they are, minimally so.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,029
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

If you have a true high dynamic range image providing the lighting, the sun is already 'there'.

Physical sky/sun should be one lighting option. HDR environmental another. They shouldn't have to be used together. Nor should they need something to simulate the sun.

Most HDRs around are really not very high dynamic range. A HDR with a high enough range will do it automatically. Also color problems/corrections won't be needed or if they are, minimally so.
    Could you please direct us to some HDR with the high range needed, preferably free? Thank you. :)

edited December 1969

...seconded.

edited April 2015

mjc1016 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...however one also cannot use a "skydome" as that also blocks the Iray "Sun". For now, all we get is a clear blue sky when using the Sun/Sky setting. What if one wanted a partly cloudy day, or high clouds, or a :skyscape" that makes for a dramatic sunset/sunrise?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Here has a monthly freebie, for noncomm renders only...

http://aversis.be/

They are usually very high range...and huge file size (over 125 MB downloads...for one file).

The DutchSkies series are pretty high range and there are a couple on the HdrLabs site.

http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

Dutch Skies 360 1 and 2 Free...both are huge downloads 200+ and 300+ MB.

I'll see if I can dig up a couple more links later...

• HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

These aren't the full range hdris that mjc1016 mentioned but this guy has been making them a while and he's managed to manipulate them so that they retain the high contrast in the lighting that's recommended for Iray. Some are kinda hit or miss with the accuracy but the freebie ones are between 1-5 mb so they could be a pretty decent compromise when your trying to fit everything on your GPU. Also has previews with 3d meshes so you can see the shadow quality. Mostly Creative Commons licenses.

http://www.openfootage.net

openfootagedotnet002.jpg
    842 x 836 - 338K
    openfootagedotnet001.jpg
    842 x 836 - 180K
    edited December 1969

Hole said:
    These aren't the full range hdris that mjc1016 mentioned but this guy has been making them a while and he's managed to manipulate them so that they retain the high contrast in the lighting that's recommended for Iray. Some are kinda hit or miss with the accuracy but the freebie ones are between 1-5 mb so they could be a pretty decent compromise when your trying to fit everything on your GPU. Also has previews with 3d meshes so you can see the shadow quality. Mostly Creative Commons licenses.

http://www.openfootage.net

He's also got 'higher quality' ones, pretty cheap...that was the next place on my list--midrange ones that are really good.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

He's also got 'higher quality' ones, pretty cheap...that was the next place on my list--midrange ones that are really good.

Yeah but be careful of how old they are before buying, he's upgraded his equipment and/or techniques over the years so the older stuff isn't quite as good. I got his high res "Gaisberg at night" one about 3 or 4 years ago and was trying to use it yesterday in Iray and had a really hard time getting it to look believable. That might just be how Iray is handling tonemapping though (...and user-noobishness) because I've had good result with it in Luxrender.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,508
    edited December 1969

I thought I saw a few renders in the other thread showing HDRIs used in indoor scenes. How is that done? Even after adjusting dome size and other controls, I can only get a completely black scene...which makes sense if there's no way for light to shine in from a dome, but I'd like to know how some people are using them for interior lighting.

Thanks in advance.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158
    edited April 2015

Sexy Tinker-belle Iray renders.

I did some experimenting tonight with a off character called star
    After I figured out how to apply the g2f iray skin map to her . I had to export her and then save her as a g2f, then apply the Iray skin.changed I also changed the uber maps for the hair and bikini these were my results
    each took about 11 minutes to render with each adjustment they got a little better.
    Best viewed full size .. No post work.

tinker-belle-Iray05.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 33K
    tinker-belle-Iray03.jpg
    960 x 720 - 38K
    tinker-belle-Iray01.jpg
    960 x 720 - 27K
    tinker-belle-Iray02.jpg
    556 x 900 - 113K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

...sassy.

Need to get Dolly out.

edited April 2015

I thought I saw a few renders in the other thread showing HDRIs used in indoor scenes. How is that done? Even after adjusting dome size and other controls, I can only get a completely black scene...which makes sense if there's no way for light to shine in from a dome, but I'd like to know how some people are using them for interior lighting.

Thanks in advance.

Environment Mode: Dome and Scene
    Draw Dome: ON

default values on the rest should work, unless you forgot to turn any windows to Iray glass. I did have one instance where turning bloom on gave a black scene. :/

EDIT ...actually glass should auto-convert well enough to let light in ...too tired to be posting

Post edited by Hole on
    edited April 2015

Thanks in advance.

It has to do with letting Iray know that certain parts of the 'room' are to allow exterior light into the area...that they are in fact windows and not walls. There's a 'portal' feature that helps with that and a couple of other things that need to be done, too. I haven't played around enough with it to say how to do it...but I'm pretty sure that in one of the long threads is information on it...probably the first beta version thread

See above. Hole's answer is what I was missing and going off looking for...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited April 2015

I agree on that, you have to use a real HDR maps to produce the shadows ... and they are expensive sometimes .. around $40 per map
    I don't have problems with that and my HDR maps always produce good shadows ..

bellow render with HDR light maps only, the shadows on model are created from the light coming from the window on the map..

mjc1016 said:

The problem is not using HDR for lighting...it's using HDR images that are HDR in name only.

Basically, one way to look at it is, if the HDR image you are using weighs in at less than 50 MB it isn't really a suitable candidate for providing lighting information. Even if it is over that, it still may not have enough range to provide all the lighting info. With a true (like 20+ EV...exposure value) HDR image there should be no need for supplemental lighting, except for mood/effect. The 'basics' should already be taken care of.

And yes, those huge HDRs will eat up memory...but the question is, is that cost worth it?

regular-iraymat2791122.jpg
    1036 x 858 - 178K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,508
    edited December 1969

Thanks, but I was actually asking about using HDRIs in a room with no windows or openings for outside light. Any suggestions for that?

edited April 2015

It is physically impossible here with PBR , unless you have opening like windows in the 3d room or at last not ceiling

Thanks, but I was actually asking about using HDRIs in a room with no windows or openings for outside light. Any suggestions for that?
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited April 2015

or at least no ceiling. darn autocomplete, lol.
    HDRI dose not function inside an inclosed room, such as my test chamber, or even inside a simple cube. The walls floor and ceiling, tend to block all the light from outside.

I like all the renders I've seen the past few weeks, there all looking really good y'all.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

I used simple HDR environment maps for the light in the scene (that create shadows) how more images was used to create the HDR maps how better the final result , the one I used here was made from just 3 images with different exposures what is kinda washed off and produce less sun light (and shadows)
    to have everything working correctly you need to pay attention that the walls have the correct PBR values with Iray
    so it reflect the light correctly , in Iray all object reflect light from each other as the all materials have the reflection values , the reflection roughness and base color exact'y as it is in real life , other objects like lamps emitting light .
    Nothing cast a shadows , object block the light or reflect it on the surface , it is not easy task if you don't know all right PBR values as our products we use in renders are not the PBR standards .
    I learned a lot from using Octane and study PBR materials for few years now, once you change your thinking it get much easy.

for the simple examples before I used Iray PBR materials for the walls and the openings what was tin glass from the collection what is good to use for windows.
    I render the second one in Interactive mode so u can see the difference between both of them.
    The preview Interactive render took 3 min and the Photoreal 20 min on GTX 760
    no other light was used, also the camera headlamp was set off

INTERIOURINTERACTIVE_MODE.jpg
    1071 x 602 - 303K
    INTERIOUR.jpg
    1071 x 602 - 276K
    edited December 1969

and I think it is logic , other way would make not sense to use it .. as it will be just Ambient light without any other functions .
    I manged to get shadows before with HDR maps in DS Uber Environment as well but the maps was a truly monsters .
    We are getting closer to the realistic renders as ever before with Iray.. but we have to forget about everything and start from ZERO as there are not alternatives or mathematics than can replace the new materials settings but everyone can do it after little study

HDRI dose not function inside an inclosed room, such as my test chamber, or even inside a simple cube. The walls floor and ceiling, tend to block all the light from outside.

I like all the renders I've seen the past few weeks, there all looking really good y'all.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,029
    edited December 1969

Emissive candle flames.

Untitled.jpg
    1400 x 1500 - 425K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    and I think it is logic , other way would make not sense to use it .. as it will be just Ambient light without any other functions .
    I manged to get shadows before with HDR maps in DS Uber Environment as well but the maps was a truly monsters .
    We are getting closer to the realistic renders as ever before with Iray.. but we have to forget about everything and start from ZERO as there are not alternatives or mathematics than can replace the new materials settings but everyone can do it after little study

agreed, Especially from a 3delight point of view, where every light that would bounce off to illuminate other things, must be 'Faked' by adding more lights. That habit must be broken.

Going back a year, having fun rendering funny stuff, was not what I had in mind. I have a kitchen light, that when on, glares off every single monitor in here, and a hallway that just completely lacks any light at all. So I wanted to use 3delight to figure out what to do with them. I still do to an extent, tho the kitchen light has been fixed at this point, that hallway is still really dark. And most critically, I don't want the lights putting spots in my eyes.

I have a GPU that is Iray capable on the way, and am waiting a tad longer for an Iray workhorse card to go alongside the display card. So I've been mostly lurking in amazement of others renders here.
    (The reflective pillar test, is 3delight not iray)

20150314_ZdgBox_Iray_NoRingDevice001008c11_Render_1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 514K
    001ReflectOrNot_Logo_001.png
    1200 x 1200 - 333K
  • rovrov Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

I tried the freebie HDR map on Avensis as suggested above. This is way better! The picture doesn't wash out and the shadows are strong the way they are supposed to be.
    So yes ..... quality of the HDR image is what's all about.

I've got a question on Dome handling. Is there a way to scale the dome? Right now you are stuck with the image and this may not always be in scale with the objects. I know you can scale the objects, but is there a way to i.e. zoom out or zoom in the image.
    The X, Y, Z position of the dome are changeable, but act different.
    X only seems to tilt the image from left to right.
    Z tilts it from back to front
    and Y seems to do the same as rotating.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,233
    edited December 1969

I think those would use an interior HDRI image, with no model of the walls, rather than an image to light a modelled interior.

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited April 2015

rov said:

I've got a question on Dome handling. Is there a way to scale the dome? Right now you are stuck with the image and this may not always be in scale with the objects. I know you can scale the objects, but is there a way to i.e. zoom out or zoom in the image.
    The X, Y, Z position of the dome are changeable, but act different.
    X only seems to tilt the image from left to right.
    Z tilts it from back to front
    and Y seems to do the same as rotating.

Set your Dome Mode to Finite Sphere and try then.

Post edited by Erdehel on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited April 2015

Mec4D said:

I moderately disagree with this "but we have to forget everything and start from ZERO".

There is no replacement for experience, and everything one has learned about placing lights in a scene is still relevant (thought you may have to re-think the visibility of said lights). And not relying on HDRI is important. Yes, its great, but it isn't always the right choice and sometimes it is physically impossible to use it.

And let's not forget: we are lighting for a camera, or a close approximation of a real world camera. The camera does not see like yours eyes see, and one MUST take that into account.

This is where art and science collide.

Post edited by evilded777 on
    edited December 1969

It was regarding the materials and not the lighting ;)

I moderately disagree with this "but we have to forget everything and start from ZERO".

There is no replacement for experience, and everything one has learned about placing lights in a scene is still relevant (thought you may have to re-think the visibility of said lights). And not relying on HDRI is important. Yes, its great, but it isn't always the right choice and sometimes it is physically impossible to use it.

And let's not forget: we are lighting for a camera, or a close approximation of a real world camera. The camera does not see like yours eyes see, and one MUST take that into account.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

Pardon me, I should have read more carefully. I retract my disagreement.

Mec4D said:

It was regarding the materials and not the lighting ;)

• BlantyrBlantyr Posts: 90
    edited April 2015

I think I've reinvented florescent lighting. The attachment is lit by a large torus, nearly the diameter of the room, hanging up near the ceiling. (You can see it indirectly in the crystal ball.) The Iray mode is scene only with headlamps off, so the torus is essentially the sole light source for the image. Luminance on the torus is 6,000,000. I'm not used to setting parameters that high in DAZ Studio, but it seems necessary to dispel gloom.

I did add a spotlight in the area of the girl and table as otherwise the viewport was entirely black. Objects giving out light through Emission light the final render, but don't help light the viewport?

The space rocks were hit by the copper and jade Iray shaders, the bottles with clear and frosted glass.

Apprentice.jpg
    889 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by Blantyr on
This discussion has been closed.