Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

This is so fabulous it's not even funny. Right out of a film noir type movie!

Kyoto Kid said:

...that looks really good.

Love to see it converted to greyscale.

Thanks! And your wish is my command!

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited April 2015

Just playing with DS and Iray
    Genesis2 and mixed parts of my products

First Color render DS, second post production in PS
    Rendered with Nvidia GTX 760 +CPU i7 rendering time 30 min due to glass shader , without glass shader 5 min
    All light in the scenes from HDR maps only

I hope you like

Cath

THE_AVIATOR_2015_IRAY.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 774K
    PHOTONS_2015_IRAY.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 929K
    THE_AVIATOR_2015_IRAYBW.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Hole said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...almost could be a still from an SF film.

If we are getting these kinds of incredible results just from a beta version, be interesting to see what the full release will be capable of.

I think our little 3D programme has grown up.

Just wait til people start digging into the compositing stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M-nDVUDD1c

...too bad we never had 3Delight's AOVs enabled

...if this can be done completely within Iray without the need of say, Photoshop, yes it would be huge.

Watching the video, I saw two different applications used to composite the layers. The first one was Photoshop. I didn't recognize the second. Seems to me "LPE" will render multiple layers as well as the final image, and it's up to us to how we use them in an image editing program.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

@ Rov from previous thread. I applied it in a using the Sultan Pool by RPublishing, lit by a HDRI map. It’s somewhere in this thread. Looked good to me.

Yes, Sultan pool was an excellent, beautiful render, water definetly looks clear, realistic..

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Just playing with DS and Iray
    Genesis2 and mixed parts of my products

First Color render DS, second post production in PS
    Rendered with Nvidia GTX 760 +CPU i7 rendering time 30 min due to glass shader , without glass shader 5 min
    All light in the scenes from HDR maps only

I hope you like

Cath

Very nice renders Cath, the goggles look good. For me, Iray is quite a new learning curve, and I really like seeing how DAZ PA's and others are getting to grips with the various shaders and textures.

Clothing seems to render out extremely well, and I used the Tank Top from your After Gym Set in a previous render, to good effect. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53690/P1485

Looking forward to seeing more examples.

Kind regards.

:-)

• John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...amazing, about two and a half weeks and this thread is already at 100 pages.

Hopefully there will be an 'Iray Renders Thread II"

Yes, with so much Iray information now spread over so many threads it would be nice if DAZ made a new Forum Home for just Iray.
    How about it DAZ ? Please :-)

...seconded.

Woohoo!, I get to name the new thread!

....uhh....waitaminute, this isn't the "Stupid" or "Complaint" thread. Never mind....

Ditto.

Someone is going to make a killing if they get a good iray skin shader into the store. I am rather bored with chasing the optimum settings and just want to get on and concentrate on producing a pleasing composition.

• rovrov Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Jimbow said:
    Here's my latest using Stonemason's bedroom. More to check iray for hangs with multiple characters, which it seems to have handled well. I'm wondering if switching Instancing Optimisation from Memory to Speed as suggested in another thread helps solve hang issues.

Looking really awesome!
  • AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

Another "test" in Iray, for a more finished work. Let's venture down the "Road to Sparta"
    I wonder what will happen when he finds the rest of his armor? ;-)

18min render + grain & color grading in Photoshop (be sure to click to enjoy the full size)

RoadToSparta_iray-final040315_alexlo.jpg
    1248 x 1999 - 2M
  • rovrov Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Hole said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

If we are getting these kinds of incredible results just from a beta version, be interesting to see what the full release will be capable of.

That looks really complex to set up but maaaaan would I have fun going nuts with all that in Photoshop. ;)
    This just made me drule.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,060
    edited December 1969

ACross said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Hole said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...if this can be done completely within Iray without the need of say, Photoshop, yes it would be huge.

Watching the video, I saw two different applications used to composite the layers. The first one was Photoshop. I didn't recognize the second. Seems to me "LPE" will render multiple layers as well as the final image, and it's up to us to how we use them in an image editing program.

It is done in an image editor, but it is a matter of stacking layers and adjusting blend modes and opacity rather than having to paint (though obviously one could paint to enhance the final result if desired). It's a feature I want to find time to play with - note that the list of possible canvasses includes shadows and AO, as long as you are using the Interactive mode to render and not Photoreal.

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    edited December 1969

I'm trying not to do a lot of post in Photoshop unless I absolutely have to. Here's another render from D|S and Iray. Another one of my characters for my universe.

Sister_Rachel.jpg
    850 x 852 - 454K
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Trying another skin...

Brian201501.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 242K
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    For the Boy Wonder, who's not feeling well. All... night... long.

Minor post in Photoshop, everything else is Iray and Tone Mapping.

I'd really like the see this with a window shaped beam of blue moon type light streaming over them. The mood to the scene is already very nice, I think that would kick it over the edge into epic.

I had considered this, but I did not want the shadows from the blinds to obscure the figures; and if I took away the blinds I was obliged to put something outside the window.

And since this was a "get well card", I opted for simplicity and speed to deliver it to the intended recipient.

But thank you for your kind words, they are very appreciated.

I'll try harder for epic the next time.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited December 1969

some iray renders i did last night
    I am starting to get better at using iray :)

girl1.jpg
    960 x 720 - 104K
    3.jpg
    960 x 720 - 60K
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 1969

Thanks Kyoto Kid, Robert and RAMWolff. I have a not-too-powerful Nvidia card in my laptop so this render started as an experiment in using ancient low-res content, to see how it renders in the brave new iRay world on my hardware. So I used V3RR, an old ratracer set, and some Predatron lo-res males. The set looks amazing and I'm really pleased how good V3 and her old low poly clothes came out. There's new life in these old content directories!

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited December 1969

These are some iray renders I did this morning of g2m M6 & viking outfit
    I changed a lot of the material presets and added a back ground picture i had taken when i was in Alaska a few summers ago.
    I purposely darken the back ground for dramatic effects.for the close up.
    I have to say I am really loving the real time preview window.
    any chance of any more material presents coming out any time soon? :)

viking3.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 113K
    viking2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 111K
  • tomtom.wtomtom.w Posts: 138
    edited April 2015

Testing a quick and easy way to get a tan: by simply changing the base color of skin, lips, fingernails and toenails in the surfaces tab. All three use the M6 Bjorn skin textures, which are quite a bit lighter in color than these three, and have had their base color changed to 224-224-224 for the one on the extreme left to 176-160-144 for the one on the extreme right, with the one in the middle in between those two.

Changing_skin_base_color.png
    1680 x 820 - 1M
    Post edited by tomtom.w on
  • eric suscheric susch Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

Welcome to DAZneyland

Threw this together just to try an Iray render. Took about an hour to render at 4K (4000 x 2667) which is quite long for my system. For comparison some of my previous (more complicated) scenes took anywhere from fifteen to thirty minutes to render at 10K. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. I don't know. Still learning.

Had some trouble with the sky dome. Worked quite hard in Lightroom to eliminate significant color banding across the sky but I couldn't get rid of it entirely. Just using the default dome so not sure why this happened.

Had to reduce the resolution to 2K to upload to the forum. My blog has the 4K version if you're interested:

http://EricSusch.com/2015/04/03/welcome-to-dazneyland/

Created in DAZ Studio 4.8 beta
    Rendered with nVidia Iray
    Color Correction in Lightroom

Welcome_to_DAZneyland_2K.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
  • RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

I did a test with one of the free Easter-Lilly from Xfrog (a few texture changes are needed for DAZ Studio), but I like the result via Iray very much.

Just the Iray Uber base Shader was used for the whole model, no additional light, just the headlamp was on my Default Camera was in Auto Mode ...

Liliy.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 522K
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

ACross said:
    My understanding is that there is a default 'everything' channel, which is essentially an LPE combining everything together roughly equally.

You can define your own LPE that outputs a subset, or something completely wacky. My favorite wacky output is the surface id. (Presuming I understand it correctly!) If you render an image (everything channel) and a surface id channel, then you could write a trivial tool that allows you to hover over any piece of the final result and see what surface was responsible for it, by looking up the exact same pixel in the other output...

If you've played hidden object games, this is a particularly interesting trick for those, for example. Think of it as automatic generation of click zones for rendered images.

-- Morgan

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,060
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    ACross said:
    My understanding is that there is a default 'everything' channel, which is essentially an LPE combining everything together roughly equally.

You can define your own LPE that outputs a subset, or something completely wacky. My favorite wacky output is the surface id. (Presuming I understand it correctly!) If you render an image (everything channel) and a surface id channel, then you could write a trivial tool that allows you to hover over any piece of the final result and see what surface was responsible for it, by looking up the exact same pixel in the other output...

If you've played hidden object games, this is a particularly interesting trick for those, for example. Think of it as automatic generation of click zones for rendered images.

-- Morgan

Surface IDs can also be used to generate masks for adjusting the image. There was an extensive article on surface masks, and on render passes generally, in 3D World fairly recently.

• HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited April 2015

Surface IDs can also be used to generate masks for adjusting the image. There was an extensive article on surface masks, and on render passes generally, in 3D World fairly recently.

Here's a short one for Iray:

http://blog.irayrender.com/post/76948894710/compositing-with-light-path-expressions

Like I mentioned previously, the canvas related stuff is apparently getting overhauled and the expression text field seems borked atm (jumpy typing) so it might be better to wait.

The first one was Photoshop. I didn't recognize the second.

The second one is The Foundry's Nuke which you can pick up for a mere $10 000 USD(plus maintenance fees) ...or wait for the free non-commercial version. Definitely overkill if you are only doing stills, for animation there's other free options like Fusion and whatever weird name CineFX is using now (starts with a "J')

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Hole said:

Here's a short one for Iray:

http://blog.irayrender.com/post/76948894710/compositing-with-light-path-expressions

Like I mentioned previously, the canvas related stuff is apparently getting overhauled and the expression text field seems borked atm (jumpy typing) so it might be better to wait.

The first one was Photoshop. I didn't recognize the second.

The second one is The Foundry's Nuke which you can pick up for a mere $10 000 USD(plus maintenance fees) ...or wait for the free non-commercial version. Definitely overkill if you are only doing stills, for animation there's other free options like Fusion and whatever weird name CineFX is using now (starts with a "J')

Well now I don't feel so bad. There's no way I'd ever get to use a $10K program, even If I were into doing animation! LOL

Thanks for clearing that up. I suspect I'm not the only one who didn't recognize the interface. :)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,019
    edited December 1969

Postwork for contrast and color saturation.

Mugging_For_The_Camera.jpg
    1400 x 1500 - 490K
  • JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited April 2015

Two unlikely European neighbours from the Mesolithic. Translucency on skin is your friend, with gamma set to 2.2, but Burn Highlights needs to be at 1 to get a proper tonal range (in my opinion).

Credit for the weapons goes to ancestorsrelic at ShareCg http://www.sharecg.com/v/65132/related/5/3D-Model/Stoneage-Weapons-as-OBJ

Mesolithic_JimBowers2015.jpg
    907 x 1280 - 811K
    Post edited by Jimbow on
    edited December 1969

Jimbow said:
    Here's my latest using Stonemason's bedroom. More to check iray for hangs with multiple characters, which it seems to have handled well. I'm wondering if switching Instancing Optimisation from Memory to Speed as suggested in another thread helps solve hang issues.

I've seen this mentioned in several threads. It seems to help some scenes but not others.

I tried it last night on a scene I'd spent days working on trying to get it to render with Iray. I changed the optimization to speed and was finally successful. Another image I've had problems with is one with my Avatar's character. The hair stops DS in it's tracks every time. But I was able to render a 1K wide scene to completion today (Rendering Converged Ratio set to 50%.) I need to work on optimizing the hair, but couldn't because it would always hang the render.

The first image is Child's Play successfully rendered with Iray with the speed optimization setting, using only the environment lighting.

The second image is a screen capture of a failed (hung) render in Iray with attempts to recreate the lighting from the 3Delight render, (and a failed attempt to make the stained glass windows emit light.) I have no idea what caused the black rectangles on the porch floor, but they correspond with the posts holding up the roof. Every attempt to render in Iray (memory optimized) caused those. I was pleasantly surprised to see them gone in the

The third image is the one I've been using to work on optimizing various elements of my two characters, Jason Dalton and Angel McKenzie. I've got the skin optimized for both, as well as Micah hair and M5 Beard (Unshaven) for Jason. I still need to rework the eyes texture maps, and Angel's hair was automatically converted for the render. Now that it's not hanging the program I'll be able to optimize it as well. Yay! (The environment map is "Monument" from DT's HDR Pro Sets Monterey.)

Lovers-test-Iray-optimized-for-speed.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Childs_Play_Emitter_Applied_to_Stained_Glass_with_AoA_lights_reinstalled.png
    1000 x 667 - 1M
    Childs-Play-testl-Iray-render-optimized-for-speed.png
    1000 x 667 - 1M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited December 1969

...one issue I notice with using just an environment map is shadows are very diffuse. This is most noticeable when an HDR setting is used (like DimensionTheory's HDR Pro sets) that has brightly lit surroundings. There is no "sun" and it always seems the subject appears to be in shadow.

Need to find a way around this.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited December 1969

My preference has been hdri and then a strong light source or two.

The environment provides good ambient lighting, then some strong lighting in addition.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited December 1969

...to get a "realistic" sun and shadow effect would require adding some form of strong distant light. When an HDRI sphere is loaded in the environment channel in render preferences to provide a "sky" though, it blocks out the IRay sun.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...one issue I notice with using just an environment map is shadows are very diffuse. This is most noticeable when an HDR setting is used (like DimensionTheory's HDR Pro sets) that has brightly lit surroundings. There is no "sun" and it always seems the subject appears to be in shadow.

Need to find a way around this.

I've noticed that, too. Who was it that recommended the 11th image in the Yosemite Packs? That one does a really nice job of lighting with shadows. I actually used DT-YosemiteHDR12.tif for Child's Play, above, with no other lighting. I rotated the dome to 300 to get the light where I wanted it.

With the couple, I had the HDRI and one photometric light coming in from their right. But I like the softer shadows for "portrait" work.

I'll be tweaking the lighting in Child's Play, trying to get something much closer to the original 3Delight render. If it works out, I may even add the 3D Print... lol

This discussion has been closed.