Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

A simple pic for the my story, almost done with 34 pages!

Looks great. Finished book will be printed/paper or digital?

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    kenmo said:

A simple pic for the my story, almost done with 34 pages!

Looks great. Finished book will be printed/paper or digital?

Right now I'm going to have an editor and several beta readers, along with 2 artists, looking at it. There are parts that requires some tweeking, such as redoing some renderings/ resketching / and some grammar/speech corrections.

I'm putting a lot of thought of promoting daz productions but I need to contact them first. The idea came when I saw ADAM miniseries that was created with Unity. More to come!

• Right now I'm going to have an editor and several beta readers, along with 2 artists, looking at it. There are parts that requires some tweeking, such as redoing some renderings/ resketching / and some grammar/speech corrections.

I'm putting a lot of thought of promoting daz productions but I need to contact them first. The idea came when I saw ADAM miniseries that was created with Unity. More to come!

How close are you to having something finished?  As you know, I'm slowly plugging along (it took me forever to get the right look for my first page). I'm hoping the interior pages will go faster, but who knows?

edited December 2017

Another 3D model I created using Groboto3D a couple of years ago.

Retro Red Exotic - An exotic sportscar of the future borrowing some styling from cars of the late 1950's and early 1960's.

I just realized I have yet to a NON NPR render of this car...

I did a base render of the untextured model in Groboto3D then I brought the image into ArtRage and gave the model some color. Further tweaking was done in Photoshop with a texture overlay and contrast correction...

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2017

Competition Coupe 33 - Early morning in the Salt Flats of Utah, Competion Coupe number 33 is ready for racing action.

Rendered in Vue Complete with NPR option. The hot rod is the hot rod kit I purchased at Cornucopia3D. The background cars are from 3D Warehouse.

Some tweaking in Photoshop & ArtRage.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,534
    edited December 2017
    kenmo said:

Competition Coupe 33 - Early morning in the Salt Flats of Utah, Competion Coupe number 33 is ready for racing action.

Rendered in Vue Complete with NPR option. The hot rod is the hot rod kit I purchased at Cornucopia3D. The background cars are from 3D Warehouse.

Impressive

Right now I'm going to have an editor and several beta readers, along with 2 artists, looking at it. There are parts that requires some tweeking, such as redoing some renderings/ resketching / and some grammar/speech corrections.

How close are you to having something finished?  As you know, I'm slowly plugging along (it took me forever to get the right look for my first page). I'm hoping the interior pages will go faster, but who knows?

Pages are done with all the characters in placed. I'm slowly coming to a decision on actually drawing the characters, with only 3-4 major characters rendered (A.N.I. and the egyptian girl I have shown). I'm want to break away from relying daz figures in favor of adding more traditional styles (learning to redraw characters to make them less "anime"). Now when I said finish, the ENTIRE story is done, written, and sent to copyright office and the writers guild. Its broken in 13 chapters, ( seperated in 3 volumes) with a potential sequal. My goal is to finish this comic issue first before editing. My set goal is to have it digital published in mid Janurary or first week of feburary.  My comic is going to break from the standard of comics in my style of storytelling. I want it to be cinematic, but at the same time delve into the storytelling, not just the art astetics.   

The 3D models and assets are placed but requires time for re-rendering (my big mistake was relying one drive, which got corrupted) so I'm using the external drive to work safely. On the models for buildings, mechs, and robots are made by a mixture of kitbashing and from scratch (on a office scene, all the walls and windows are made through blender). 

I know it may sound confusing, but the decision on using 3 art-styles was due to a belief that some readers are not use to a full 3D modelling comic. I have taken online courses for 3D modelling so I can use the knowledge for future projects, either comics or gaming. To get to the point, here's how I organize the work flow.

1.) Script writing with various drafts 

2.) Storyboarding drawn in large paper

3.) Determine the use of genesis 2 and 3 on poses and expressions

4.) Create a folder of every page which contains the props and camera presets for the panels

5.) Use daz3d, sketching, and manga studios to create character(s). I learned this from watching Shannon maers videos.

6.) With Blender, Bryce, and terradome, create the world, props, vehicles, and creatures.

7.) once the rendering and uvs are mapped with the props, I saved them in the cloud for later use. This first comic issue will take time, but the others will get easier as time goes on.

8.) Finally, I'm satified with the rendering and character design, I apply them again to Manga studios and create a page.

9.) I also want to sponsor daz productions and give credits and special thanks to artists, such as Dzfire, Valandar, Sickleyield, and Stonemason on their assets as well tutorials.

kenmo said:

Wow! This is gorgeous!

• hyteckithyteckit Posts: 167
    edited December 2017

Simple Toon render of Izzy (Teen Josie) from Poser. No photoshop or filters involved.

teen_josie_cartoon.png
    1085 x 821 - 137K
    Post edited by hyteckit on
  • kenmo said:

Oh, very nice!

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited December 2017

Pages are done with all the characters in placed. I'm slowly coming to a decision on actually drawing the characters, with only 3-4 major characters rendered (A.N.I. and the egyptian girl I have shown). I'm want to break away from relying daz figures in favor of adding more traditional styles (learning to redraw characters to make them less "anime"). Now when I said finish, the ENTIRE story is done, written, and sent to copyright office and the writers guild. Its broken in 13 chapters, ( seperated in 3 volumes) with a potential sequal. My goal is to finish this comic issue first before editing. My set goal is to have it digital published in mid Janurary or first week of feburary.  My comic is going to break from the standard of comics in my style of storytelling. I want it to be cinematic, but at the same time delve into the storytelling, not just the art astetics.   

The 3D models and assets are placed but requires time for re-rendering (my big mistake was relying one drive, which got corrupted) so I'm using the external drive to work safely. On the models for buildings, mechs, and robots are made by a mixture of kitbashing and from scratch (on a office scene, all the walls and windows are made through blender). 

I know it may sound confusing, but the decision on using 3 art-styles was due to a belief that some readers are not use to a full 3D modelling comic. I have taken online courses for 3D modelling so I can use the knowledge for future projects, either comics or gaming. To get to the point, here's how I organize the work flow.

1.) Script writing with various drafts 

2.) Storyboarding drawn in large paper

3.) Determine the use of genesis 2 and 3 on poses and expressions

4.) Create a folder of every page which contains the props and camera presets for the panels

5.) Use daz3d, sketching, and manga studios to create character(s). I learned this from watching Shannon maers videos.

6.) With Blender, Bryce, and terradome, create the world, props, vehicles, and creatures.

7.) once the rendering and uvs are mapped with the props, I saved them in the cloud for later use. This first comic issue will take time, but the others will get easier as time goes on.

8.) Finally, I'm satified with the rendering and character design, I apply them again to Manga studios and create a page.

9.) I also want to sponsor daz productions and give credits and special thanks to artists, such as Dzfire, Valandar, Sickleyield, and Stonemason on their assets as well tutorials.

Very interesting. Thanks for letting us peak behind the hood. I am a technical writer by trade, and frequently work on documents that run 200-350 pages, and I know that proper tracking is essential to completing large proects. I like the breakdown of what you're doing. It's similar to what I'm doing with my projects (but on a smaller scale, as a 12-page story (for my first one) just doesn't need that level of documentation. Like you, for my project I'm hoping to give credit where it's due. Unforuntately, some of the older Poser models are not as well documented as they should be, making it somtimes hard to track down what a product is and who created it.

I'm very interested in seeing your books come together, so please keep us in the loop.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    edited December 2017

Two more toon renders from Poser. 

toontest_girl.png
    1085 x 821 - 87K
    toontest_kid.png
    1085 x 821 - 84K
    Post edited by hyteckit on
  • hyteckit said:

Very nicely done. Are you using the Comic Book Preview, or the Toon Render?

hyteckit said:

Using Toon Render. The Comic Book Preview doesn't give you much control over color/texture.

Add Toon Rendering to the Body texture. 

Turn off all the light source except for one. Set that light source to Diffuse IBL. Adjust the light intensity to flatten out the 3D look. I usually adjust it from 60 to 80. Turn off shadows.

To cast a shadow on the character, add another light source and set it to something other than Diffuse IBL such as Spot. Turn on shardows and play with the intensity of other settings.

• hyteckit said:
    hyteckit said:

Using Toon Render. The Comic Book Preview doesn't give you much control over color/texture.

Turn off all the light source except for one. Set that light source to Diffuse IBL. Adjust the light intensity to flatten out the 3D look. I usually adjust it from 60 to 80. Turn off shadows.

To cast a shadow on the character, add another light source and set it to something other than Diffuse IBL such as Spot. Turn on shardows and play with the intensity of other settings.

I work primarily in b&w, prefering to do my coloring in Photoshop or Manga Studio, but I have done a few renders in color. I'm curious as to the issues you've encountered with using color in the Comic Book Preview? I have found that the small bugs with breaks in the lines (along edges, mostly) are a small trade-off when compared to the ability to assign different geometric edge thickness based on the material ID. I'd be very interested in any info you could give me on the color issues you've encountered (as I'm bound to need color at some point in the future).

hyteckit said:
    hyteckit said:
    I work primarily in b&w, prefering to do my coloring in Photoshop or Manga Studio, but I have done a few renders in color. I'm curious as to the issues you've encountered with using color in the Comic Book Preview? I have found that the small bugs with breaks in the lines (along edges, mostly) are a small trade-off when compared to the ability to assign different geometric edge thickness based on the material ID. I'd be very interested in any info you could give me on the color issues you've encountered (as I'm bound to need color at some point in the future).

I only started using Daz about 2-3 weeks ago. I just upgraded to Poser 11 about 2 days ago. Own Poser 2014 for years, but never really spend too much time with it. Got Poser 11 mainly for toon rendering, walk designer, talk designer, and Kinect mocap.

I'm not interesting in coloring or filtering/editing it in Photoshop or other graphic apps. Just wanted to do some animation that looks like 2D cartoon.

For the brief time I played with Poser and toon rendering, the Comic Book Preview gives me the option of Two Tone, 3 Tones, and so forth. So it's just Black and Gray for me. No colors. Had to do Toon Render to get colors/texture.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited December 2017

I thought I would post an unretouched image that came out of Poser 11's Comic Book Preview. The expressions and a few of the character positions need a little work, as does the ceiling (needs more curve), but this is close to the layout I will be using for this two-page spread. This image is a fraction of its finished size, btw. It is roughly 13.8 inches wide at 800 dpi (that makes the actual artwork about 11,000 pixels wide. Now, before anyone chimes in about how there is no need to go above 300, I need to stop you right there. This render method works MUCH better if you have more pixels than you need. Rendering at 300 dpi does not give you the same amount of detail. Likewise, m,y pens in Manga Studio work better when there are more pixels for it to work with. Finally, I like to future-proof my work by having more detail than is needed. The trick is not to obsess about tiny details that won't make it to print. 

I will be updating the composition and props (I just got some new gold piles that I will be experimenting with). And I need to add the sword that killed the dragon.

UnretouchedBase_2-3_small.jpg
    1500 x 1141 - 654K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    hyteckit said:

Cool... I own Poser Pro 2012 and have an opportunity to upgrade to Poser Pro 11 for $49 (USA). So I've giving it some consideration...

I thought I would post an unretouched image that came out of Poser 11's Comic Book Preview. The expressions and a few of the character positions need a little work, as does the ceiling (needs more curve), but this is close to the layout I will be using for this two-page spread. This image is a fraction of its finished size, btw. It is roughly 13.8 inches wide at 800 dpi (that makes the actual artwork about 11,000 pixels wide. Now, before anyone chimes in about how there is no need to go above 300, I need to stop you right there. This render method works MUCH better if you have more pixels than you need. Rendering at 300 dpi does not give you the same amount of detail. Likewise, m,y pens in Manga Studio work better when there are more pixels for it to work with. Finally, I like to future-proof my work by having more detail than is needed. The trick is not to obsess about tiny details that won't make it to print. 

I will be updating the composition and props (I just got some new gold piles that I will be experimenting with). And I need to add the sword that killed the dragon.

Likle what you have accomplished so far...

hyteckit said:
    hyteckit said:

kenmo said:
    hyteckit said:

Cool... I own Poser Pro 2012 and have an opportunity to upgrade to Poser Pro 11 for $49 (USA). So I've giving it some consideration...

I took advantage of the $49 upgrade offer and upgraded from Poser Pro 2014 to Poser Pro 11. I don't think much change from Poser Pro 2014 to Poser Pro 11. But I guess there's a free upgrade to 11.1 when it comes out. Doesn't look like Smith Micro is putting too much effort into improving the app.

• I haven't been rendering too much lately, NPR or otherwise. However, I was playing with dForce and had an idea for a bad driving render. Not too bad considering I almost never use 3Delight. Some post work in Gimp's Cartoon filter and a frame. I need to find the time to play with more NPR techniques.

edited December 2017

The Grey

Rendered in Daz Studio 4.10 / 3D Delight. Postwork Photoshop CC 2018 & Topaz Studio Impression.

Post edited by kenmo on

Playing around with an untextured castle I modeled.

Rendered in DAZ Studio 4.10 & 3D Delight. Postwork using Photoshop CC 2018, Topaz Studio Impression and Filter Forge 7.0....

Seagulls I painted in using ArtRage 5.0.

So does the upgrade offer apply to Poser Deput?  That's all I have.

•  

tkdrobert said:

So does the upgrade offer apply to Poser Deput?  That's all I have.

Short answer, I don't know. I will PM the upgrade link to you and you can enter the serial number and check. If not, the full version is only $99.
  • kenmo said:

Playing around with an untextured castle I modeled.

Rendered in DAZ Studio 4.10 & 3D Delight. Postwork using Photoshop CC 2018, Topaz Studio Impression and Filter Forge 7.0....

Seagulls I painted in using ArtRage 5.0.

Very nice. There's something about the design that makes it look toon or like a toy castle. I like the effect on the ground. I get the impression that the birds should be slightly larger, though.

• Concept Art for bible stories that will be produce using my graphic novel / storytelling framework. 

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,097

Do you have a link for Shannon Maers videos?  I googled this but came up empty.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,894
    edited December 2017

For example, one of Shannon Maers videos:

Post edited by Artini on
    wwes said:

Do you have a link for Shannon Maers videos?  I googled this but came up empty.

Very nice.

This discussion has been closed.