Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• tkdrobert said:

Intergalactic Oasis

I love this! Unlike MM, I don't find the saturated colors too much or too close. My eye is drawn to the spaceship nicely with the composition and everything else fades into the background without being lost. I guess saturation is one of those things that are a personal taste, some like it and some don't. I think it's a great composition and the colors go together very well. It really draws me in.

That's the great thing about art -- we all appreciate different aspects of it and see things differently.

• tkdrobert said:

Intergalactic Oasis

I love this! Unlike MM, I don't find the saturated colors too much or too close. My eye is drawn to the spaceship nicely with the composition and everything else fades into the background without being lost. I guess saturation is one of those things that are a personal taste, some like it and some don't. I think it's a great composition and the colors go together very well. It really draws me in.

That's the great thing about art -- we all appreciate different aspects of it and see things differently.

That's so true and one of the things I really like about art. It's okay to like one thing and not another. It doesn't make you or your tastes wrong, just different and that's perfectly okay.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2017

I posted this in the Carrara forum NPR thread, but I figure that most of you guys never have time to visit there.

This is my version of a classic Gary Larson "The Far Side" cartoon.  The characters are all Daz original generation 3.

The workflow was basically Carrara with the GMIC plugin (Lylejk filter)>Comic Life (for captions only)>PSE (for bottom title only)>Fotosketcher (Pencil sketch 1filter).

HAH! I love the original comic, and your D&D-style take on it is funnnnny. I think your sketch effect is ver effective in this comic, as are your character choices for the different examples.

Thanks Mike!  The original comic cannot be matched, but it is fun to try.  Hoping to use all these characters in a graphic novel.  I will be sure to read your material before proceeding.smiley

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  •  

I posted this in the Carrara forum NPR thread, but I figure that most of you guys never have time to visit there.

This is my version of a classic Gary Larson "The Far Side" cartoon.  The characters are all Daz original generation 3.

The workflow was basically Carrara with the GMIC plugin (Lylejk filter)>Comic Life (for captions only)>PSE (for bottom title only)>Fotosketcher (Pencil sketch 1filter).

HAH! I love the original comic, and your D&D-style take on it is funnnnny. I think your sketch effect is ver effective in this comic, as are your character choices for the different examples.

Thanks Mike!  The original comic cannot be matched, but it is fun to try.  Hoping to use all these characters in a graphic novel.  I will be sure to read your material before proceeding.smiley

I don't think any of us can match Gary Larsen, but it's still fun to try! His work is such an inspiration; he has a real skill for making us laugh and think, all in an expertly composed comic panel.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited December 2017

I did this mech bird a few years ago. Started out in Groboto 3D and added detail via Hexagon3D 2.5. Textured and rendered in 3DCoat with postwork in Photoshop...

Post edited by Chohole on
  • kenmo said:

I did this a couple of years ago. I was going for an illustrated Christmas card look...Daz Studio (posed the dog and exported as an obj),  Hexagon (I modeled snowman), UV Mapper Classic (snowman textures) Photoshop (color correction and adjustments, snowman textures),and Artrage (I painted in the girl, crows, falling snow flakes, snow on trees, foot prints). Rendered in Vue Complete..

Really captures the season.  Great!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 2017

kenmo, very impressed with the hand drawing too, found your artrage thread on their forum, looking forward to dissecting the comments there

49 posts since last I was here, apologies :(

something from me for the present Carrara challenge

used filter forge and waterlogue and photodonut for the post work - also a touch of topaz impression

I also rendered out many carrara passes including reflection so I had a lot of tools to work with in post (diffuse, colour, coverage, shadows, object passes etc)

I have a feeling the yellow border is too sature rated

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 2017

I like your results and post work...

Yeah, I love ArtRage and the ArtRage crowd. I mostly photograph though and dabble in digital painting, 3D modeling and rendering...

http://kenmo.zenfolio.com/

Post edited by kenmo on

Some more play time in Poser Pro 11.1...

A fantasy dragon illustration inspired by the idle times of my youth spent reading fantasy novels of Robert E Hoaward and comic books illustrated by Barry Windsor-Smith based upon Howard's works and characters.

Rendered in Poser Pro 11.1 with postwork in Photoshop CC 2018, Filter Forge 7 & Topaz Studio Impression 2.0.

Comic Book version of my future flying hot rod racer vehicle. Modeled in Groboto3D & 3DCoat. Compositing done in Photoshop CC 2017 & Topaz Impression 2.0.

Rendered in Poser Pro 11.1 with post work in Photosop CC 2018, Filter Forge 7 & Topaz Studio Impression 2.0.

• kenmo said:

Some more play time in Poser Pro 11.1...

A fantasy dragon illustration inspired by the idle times of my youth spent reading fantasy novels of Robert E Hoaward and comic books illustrated by Barry Windsor-Smith based upon Howard's works and characters.

Rendered in Poser Pro 11.1 with postwork in Photoshop CC 2018, Filter Forge 7 & Topaz Studio Impression 2.0.

kenmo said:

Comic Book version of my future flying hot rod racer vehicle. Modeled in Groboto3D & 3DCoat. Compositing done in Photoshop CC 2017 & Topaz Impression 2.0.

Rendered in Poser Pro 11.1 with post work in Photosop CC 2018, Filter Forge 7 & Topaz Studio Impression 2.0.

You are really getting the hang of Poser Pro 11.1's Comic Book feature. I can see you defined a thinner line for the rivits on the hot rod (am I right?). And you have a nice combo of effects with Topaz and Filter Forge. :-)

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited December 2017

The Spiderman Swing

The Spiderman Swing by tkdrobert

Initial render was done in Daz.  Line work done in Clip Paint Studio and PhotoShop.  I actually did a lot of manual work on this one.  Got some practice on my drawing pad.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • I was playing around with Dolly with a render I did. I like how it turned out for the most part. I'm still working on those dang cross hatches. They aren't quite what I want yet.

MM- Uh, I bet I know what you're thinking, Yep, I went heavy on the saturation. That's just how I rolled today.  ;)

• I was playing around with Dolly with a render I did. I like how it turned out for the most part. I'm still working on those dang cross hatches. They aren't quite what I want yet.

MM- Uh, I bet I know what you're thinking, Yep, I went heavy on the saturation. That's just how I rolled today.  ;)

Heh. I love to be unpredictable! I actually like the saturation becuase it still has a lot of contrast! 

:-)

I was playing around with Dolly with a render I did. I like how it turned out for the most part. I'm still working on those dang cross hatches. They aren't quite what I want yet.

The color is great in my opinion.  Only thing I would change is the dots on her face.  I would clean that up a bit unless they are freckles and you want them there.  I think it’s a great render.   

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787
    edited December 2017

Experimenting with NPR in Unity3D.

Wagon04.jpg
    1887 x 979 - 499K
    Wagon05.jpg
    1885 x 985 - 459K
    Post edited by Artini on

Heh. I love to be unpredictable! I actually like the saturation becuase it still has a lot of contrast! 

:-)

Lol! Thanks. I do like how it turned out. I'm getting closer to a style I really like.

tkdrobert said:

I was playing around with Dolly with a render I did. I like how it turned out for the most part. I'm still working on those dang cross hatches. They aren't quite what I want yet.

The color is great in my opinion.  Only thing I would change is the dots on her face.  I would clean that up a bit unless they are freckles and you want them there.  I think it’s a great render.   

Thanks. I did clean up a few areas, but I agree that area could possibly be cleaned up a little. I'm still working on the best way of doing the clean up with that particular layer. It's tricky to say the least. My postwork skills are still a work in progress, too. I get better with each image, though. :)

• Artini said:

Experimenting with NPR in Unity3D.

Are you generating the renders in unity, or are you just using Unity assets?

This time, I have used Unity assets, post effect and render in Unity, but I plan to export Daz items to Unity, and see

how they will look alike with the same effect there.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

I feel like I'm cheating because Sakura is already an npr character, but I think this came out pretty good so I'm posting it.  Did a little line work, Topaz clean and some photomanip.   

Anyway, I wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Sakura School Is Out - small version.jpg
    2542 x 2304 - 3M
    edited January 2018

Happy New Year, everyone.

Below is NPR from Unity of Hydro Locks - https://www.daz3d.com/hydro-locks

HydroLocks01cut.jpg
    1907 x 1019 - 458K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • philebusphilebus Posts: 241
    edited January 2018

I've just started using Affinity Photo and am keen to limit how much I switch between different programs, which means that I want to see if I can get along without a Cutout filter which Affinity is missing at the moment. I've been trying to use Topaz Simplify as a replacement but the results are not always predictable as the preview doesn't seem very acurate and the results lack a certain crispness. I'll have to experiment with some of the additional settings, such as structure, to see if I can adjust for that. In this example, the results for the upper part of the figure were something I could work with but the results for the legs were, well, not there. My solution was to just block out the colour myself in ArtRage. I started with a new layer and used the dropper to find colours which I then blocked out with the oil brush. I reduced the layer opacity a tad and merged the layers before taking the knife to all.

Experiment01.jpg
    800 x 2100 - 127K
    Post edited by philebus on

Looking great, philebus.

I always admire, how people can use ArtRage for something such a creative.

For me ArtRage is very nice to play with, but I have not succeded yet, to use it for something more useful.

• Doctor Pitterbill in Poser 11, an untouched real-time render from the Comic Book Preview + Sketch Designer.

edited January 2018

Doctor Aphra

Doctor Aphra

If you don't read the comics, you peobably don't know the character.  I couldn't view and Poser tutorials today so I worked on this.  Doing the Doctor's hair under the helmet was hard.  Making the background compelling was also hard.  The learning continues...

Post edited by tkdrobert on

I'm playing with the settings for Visual Style Shaders.  Tell me what you think about the attached render.  It was done with no post work.

Test 4.png
    700 x 875 - 193K
    edited January 2018

Another experiment in Unity 3D with Hydro Locks. I really like, how convenient is to use physics for object placement.

Hopefully we will get something like this in Daz Studio, when dForce evolve further.

Just need to find some good NPR filters/effects.

HydroLocks02cut.jpg
    1911 x 1025 - 653K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Another experiment in Unity 3D with Hydro Locks. I really like, how convenient is to use physics for object placement.

Hopefully we will get something like this in Daz Studio, when dForce evolve further.

Just need to find some good NPR filters/effects.

I have access to the Bullet Physics engine in Poser 11.1 Pro, and I've only played with it once. I guess when I place things, I prefer to have more control over them than to let gravity do its job. I'm interested in what you've done with Unity. Although I have purchased Unity Assets, and even played around with importing FBX rigged characters into Poser 11 (w/mixed results), I never really considred using the app itself for creating art. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited January 2018

Here's the entry I created for the "It's Raining Men" contest. I thought it would be of interest to you guys, as -- for a change -- I added a little color to the renders. My original concept called from a sketchy background for the hallway or the boys' room. But ran out of time, so I just added some random sketch lines to help fill up the void. I am pleased with the expressions and the differing ages of the boys. Their names, btw. are the figure names: Paul (from Poser 11) and Michael 4. Star Wars T-Shirt is a custom material.

What do you think?

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    tkdrobert said:

Doctor Aphra

Doctor Aphra

If you don't read the comics, you peobably don't know the character.  I couldn't view and Poser tutorials today so I worked on this.  Doing the Doctor's hair under the helmet was hard.  Making the background compelling was also hard.  The learning continues...

I forgot her arm tattoo.  I'm going to have to fix that.

This discussion has been closed.