Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930

I know you said you scrapped this version, but wanted to say that the shadow for the mountain was a good effect. When you first described it a few posts before I thought it would clash or distract from the depth, but this ended up striking a good balance to still look like "bright desert" and also have the sun behind the spire.

On the caption, it seems readable enough, but if you get a test print and it's tough to read, I think a faded box or light gradient to the top would be better than a solid box with an outline, to keep emphasis on the speech bubble. I haven't been keeping up, but also wanted to say it's been really nice to see the progress and the changes along the way with this! Always cool to see the process.

Thanks. I was really surprised that the mountain shadow worked as well as it did, too. Very surprised, in fact. It just goes to show that you really can't tell until you put it on paper (or screen, in this case) You are probably right about the text and the scroll box. I will probably try the method you suggested, and the scroll, and then compare the two. 

I am still working on the splash page, but I thought I'd put the old version next to the intermediate (WIP) version I'm on now. The first thing I noticed is that when I tried to correct the angle of the shadow so that it better matched the sun placement, the mountain shadow stopped working as well. So I am going to move the shadow and add more ground speckle. 

OLD VERSION

NEW VERSION

late to the party again I am - new version looks perfect - doesnt need any more tweaking

Crescent said:

I'm still working on my PS actions.  I think this one came out pretty well.  The woman's skin is still light compared to the original render, but I'm getting a lot closer to getting a good balance for a variety of skin colors.

well that's pretty much all working - maybe the perfect texture on the blue fabric is too regular and maybe a few lost and found lines would help.

lastly a coloured glaze over the whole would help unify the colours a smidge

kenmo said:

The Scolding -  In the tenement living area of a large urban city some where in North American of the 1950s, a youth is scolding his dog for engaging in some rough play with the kitties. His female companion looks on in disbelief, and a local cat hisses displeasure at the incident. While another cat seeks shelter under a parked car.

This is a digital illustration I created using Vue Complete, Photoshop CC 2018, Topaz Adjust 5, Topaz Studio Impression 2 & Filter Forge 7.

I did not use any NPR options in Vue Complete. Just rendered to a plain, base render.

one of your best I think - love the texure in the shadows amongst other things

putting a white vignette around it would be interesting

Starlaw said:

Going for an atmospheric vibrant neon dark look. Challenges positioning the Blind Demon due to the perspective and the well prop.

looks like a clip straight out of a movie

• head wax said:

I know you said you scrapped this version, but wanted to say that the shadow for the mountain was a good effect. When you first described it a few posts before I thought it would clash or distract from the depth, but this ended up striking a good balance to still look like "bright desert" and also have the sun behind the spire.

On the caption, it seems readable enough, but if you get a test print and it's tough to read, I think a faded box or light gradient to the top would be better than a solid box with an outline, to keep emphasis on the speech bubble. I haven't been keeping up, but also wanted to say it's been really nice to see the progress and the changes along the way with this! Always cool to see the process.

Thanks. I was really surprised that the mountain shadow worked as well as it did, too. Very surprised, in fact. It just goes to show that you really can't tell until you put it on paper (or screen, in this case) You are probably right about the text and the scroll box. I will probably try the method you suggested, and the scroll, and then compare the two. 

I am still working on the splash page, but I thought I'd put the old version next to the intermediate (WIP) version I'm on now. The first thing I noticed is that when I tried to correct the angle of the shadow so that it better matched the sun placement, the mountain shadow stopped working as well. So I am going to move the shadow and add more ground speckle. 

OLD VERSION

NEW VERSION

late to the party again I am - new version looks perfect - doesnt need any more tweaking

Thanks a heap, but I still see a few things that need adjusting. However, I'm glad you like it because that means I'm probably very close to finishing this and will finally be able to move on to the other pages. The challenge with this page was really finding a way to set the scale of the scene without providing human-sized references in the image. I put a lot more work into this, but the mountain only appears in two places (page one, and a smaller panel later, for which I will be reusing this page), so it really needs to be strong and set the stage for the rest of the story.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    edited December 2017

Created some art for my D&D group again. This is Pencast, a not-so-nice archfey and their antagonist for the evening!

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,534

Created some art for my D&D group again. This is Pencast, a not-so-nice archfey and their antagonist for the evening!

He looks like a jerk.  LOL!  That's what your going for right?

• Created some art for my D&D group again. This is Pencast, a not-so-nice archfey and their antagonist for the evening!

The "not-so-nice" part definitely comes through. Nice painting job, and good work on the portrait lighting. Hair is suitably soft (although the edges where it meets the background could have used a little blurring to keep it in line with the rest of the image's soft-focus, romance-novel look Good work.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    tkdrobert said:

LOL - yes indeed! He's a total jerk. 

The "not-so-nice" part definitely comes through. Nice painting job, and good work on the portrait lighting. Hair is suitably soft (although the edges where it meets the background could have used a little blurring to keep it in line with the rest of the image's soft-focus, romance-novel look Good work.

Thanks very much! Good note on the hair, I might take a second look at that. 

• Decided to take a quick break and do something fun. Whipped up a quick dragon illustration.

Dragon3_Flying.jpg
    1778 x 1486 - 957K
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited December 2017

Sorry for the duplicate post, folks. Although I do like the look of this illustration, it looks a little washed out to me. So I adjusted the opacity of one of the layers and really pumped up the blacks to make something more dramatic. Which one do you guys prefer?

Dragon3_Flying_Darker.jpg
    1778 x 1486 - 852K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • head wax said:
    Starlaw said:

Going for an atmospheric vibrant neon dark look. Challenges positioning the Blind Demon due to the perspective and the well prop.

looks like a clip straight out of a movie

The same scene is used for an animated sequence that I compiled. 

FYI, if you update Photoshop to the newest version, you have to reinstall the Nix Collection.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    tkdrobert said:

LOL - yes indeed! He's a total jerk. 

Thanks very much! Good note on the hair, I might take a second look at that. 

Cool looking jerk... I think I either went to school with him or we got into a hockey fight... :-)

Sorry for the duplicate post, folks. Although I do like the look of this illustration, it looks a little washed out to me. So I adjusted the opacity of one of the layers and really pumped up the blacks to make something more dramatic. Which one do you guys prefer?

They are both excellent but the top one gets my nod...

tkdrobert said:

FYI, if you update Photoshop to the newest version, you have to reinstall the Nix Collection.

Just copy the plugins folder

From C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Plug-ins

To C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Plug-ins

That's all I do, no need to re-install...

See this video...

edited December 2017

Since this was just for fun, I decided to add a quick color wash to the dragon.

I do see the places where the color doesn't blend correctly on the legs and wings, but since I did this in 10 minutes, I'm okay with that.

Dragon3_Flying_Color.jpg
    1778 x 1486 - 2M
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

I do see the places where the color doesn't blend correctly on the legs and wings, but since I did this in 10 minutes, I'm okay with that.

Oooo, very, very nice!

-- Walt Sterdan

I like it, I like it very much...

edited December 2017

I'm liking the bottom one but something was bugging me and I realised what it was - the lighting direction.

I used to work in the country and rent a room for a day and it had pretend sandstone wall paper - and it kind of looked odd and one day I realised that tyhey'd hung it upside down and that the light source in the pretend sandstone was coming from the bottom

it's like when you see pictures of clouds and they are upside down or taken from a plain that is above them

:) But I am imagining your dragon is being lit from below by the fires of Smorg. Maybe the colouring could show that ? Heh , dont mind me I have been learning Excel all day, it's like learning blender but worse - now I know why I chose art.....

Post edited by Headwax on

I created "Christmas Window Shopping" a couple of years ago. I was trying to achieve a paintery look.

A young boy and his sister along with their dog do some Christmas window shopping for gifts they hope Santa will bring them...

Cropped version

I think I much prefer the cropped version.

I modeled the toy shop in Hexagon3D ver 2.5. Other software used was DazStudio, Vue Complete, Photoshop and Corel Painter, UV Mapper Classic.

edited December 2017
    head wax said:

I'm liking the bottom one but something was bugging me and I realised what it was - the lighting direction.

I used to work in the country and rent a room for a day and it had pretend sandstone wall paper - and it kind of looked odd and one day I realised that tyhey'd hung it upside down and that the light source in the pretend sandstone was coming from the bottom

it's like when you see pictures of clouds and they are upside down or taken from a plain that is above them

:) But I am imagining your dragon is being lit from below by the fires of Smorg. Maybe the colouring could show that ? Heh , dont mind me I have been learning Excel all day, it's like learning blender but worse - now I know why I chose art.....

HAH! S'funny you should mntion the dual light source. I was thinking he was lit from blow by fires he had started! I chose that because it gave me more highlights on his skin to bring out the scales on top and bottom. I wouldn't do this if he were for production, but since it was just a quickie, I let it "fly."  HAH! Couldn't help myself. Same thing with the simple color wash I added. Spent about 5 minutes on that. 

Of course, fun time's over. I really need to move on and get to the interior pages of my story. I think I've almost fot the first page (with the mountain) finished. Just two more tweaks and then I'm moving on. Wish me luck!

PS: Good luck with Excel. I use i all the time for project tracking, invoices, and things like that. It does have a learning curve, but it's pretty darned powerful (my wife is a bookkepper and she's an expert user; whenever I get in a jam I call her).

• kenmo said:

I created "Christmas Window Shopping" a couple of years ago. I was trying to achieve a paintery look.

A young boy and his sister along with their dog do some Christmas window shopping for gifts they hope Santa will bring them...

Cropped version

I think I much prefer the cropped version. I modeled the toy shop in Hexagon3D ver 2.5. Other software used was DazStudio, Vue Complete, Photoshop and Corel Painter, UV Mapper Classic.

Great job modeling and setting up this scene. I definitely prefer the cropped version (in the larger scene the little girl gets lost because of the gree-on-green coloring, and there's soemthing about the angle that makes it look like the building doesn't have a side -- like it's just a storefront flat, the kind used in movies). Nice painterly effect, and good job on the snow and stone floor. And I LOVE the addition of the dog! This is a very classic Christmas scene! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

edited December 2017

I might tweak the mountain shadow a little more, but hopefully not. I think I'm finished with it. Thoughts?

DaysGone03_12-11-2017.jpg
    2752 x 4200 - 7M
    edited December 2017

A NPR version of a car I modeled in Groboto3D & Hexagon...

Non NPR renders in Vue can be seen in this thread here at DAZ Forums  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57610/car-and-bike-lovers-thread-mark-iv#latest

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2017

Links to some of my favorite Filter Forge filters that I find useful for NPR...

Crosshatching
    https://www.filterforge.com/filters/5531-v3.html

Crosshatch and Stipple
    https://www.filterforge.com/filters/4786-v2.html

Crosshatch
    https://www.filterforge.com/filters/11261.html

Pen and Ink Crosshatch
    https://www.filterforge.com/filters/932.html

Cutline v18
    https://www.filterforge.com/filters/9503.html

Artification
    https://www.filterforge.com/filters/9049-v8.html

Old Book Illustrator
    https://www.filterforge.com/filters/9388-v3.html

Presently at work so when I get a minute I'll add to those that I may have forgotten... Memory is not as sharp when you are in your early to mid 60's...

Post edited by kenmo on
  • kenmo said:

A NPR version of a car I modeled in Groboto3D & Hexagon..

Non NPR renders in Vue can be seen in this thread here at DAZ Forums  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57610/car-and-bike-lovers-thread-mark-iv#latest

This is a very nice toon car. The simple shapes give this a clean profile that is very pleasing. I particularly like the details like the inside wheel on the front. Nicely done.

kenmo said:

A NPR version of a car I modeled in Groboto3D & Hexagon..

This is a very nice toon car. The simple shapes give this a clean profile that is very pleasing. I particularly like the details like the inside wheel on the front. Nicely done.

Agreed.

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    kenmo said:

A NPR version of a car I modeled in Groboto3D & Hexagon...

Aahh! I love this!!

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    edited December 2017

A simple pic for the my story, almost done with 34 pages!

journey to aaru cover new.jpg
    2500 x 3236 - 2M
    Post edited by Sammagi on
This discussion has been closed.