Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

1966 Chevy II Nova. The car is a free model from 3D Warehouse, rendered in DAZ Studio 4.10 with 3D Delight. Post work in Photoshop CC 2018, Topaz Studio Impression 2.0 & Filter Forge 7.0.

• kenmo said:

1966 Chevy II Nova. The car is a free model from 3D Warehouse, rendered in DAZ Studio 4.10 with 3D Delight. Post work in Photoshop CC 2018, Topaz Studio Impression 2.0 & Filter Forge 7.0.

You have achieved a very nice style with your work. This has the look of a classic hand-drawn illustration.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930
    edited December 2017
    head wax said:

bit of Carrara fluffing around , Carrara NPR renders and other native passes with Filter Forge and waterlogue for post

Image may contain: outdoor

This has a nice storybook quality to it. love the slightly bent tree and the detail of the vines going up the side of the house. The vignette effect around the edges is very pleasing to the eye. 

thanks!! I felt guilty doing it actually :) 

Post edited by Headwax on
    kenmo said:

Another 3D Coat render with post work in Photoshop & Topaz Studio Impression 2.0....

this one is superb, there is a real sense of patina

Carrara job - Runaway Stagecoach - wip filter forge photodonut and Topaz Impression for post

kenmo said:

You have achieved a very nice style with your work. This has the look of a classic hand-drawn illustration.

yes, agree times 2 :)

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited December 2017

I took a lot of suggestions to heart (thanks one and all) and am presenting an updated first page to my comic. I think the fonts have been finalized (but would like thoughts on that). I also added a different, rougher texture to the ground and then removed it to leave some random white streaks in it. I also returned the previous sky effect I had used (I didn't want the sun to look like a vortex)

QUESTION: Do I need a ground shadow from the sun? I'm worried it will clash with the road, and I do have some other concerns about getting it to controur correctly along the ground and the dunes.

Page1_proof3_newfont.jpg
    2752 x 4200 - 8M
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • head wax said:

Carrara job - Runaway Stagecoach - wip filter forge photodonut and Topaz Impression for post

WOWZA, man! This is a very intense impressionist style. Loving the bold colors and the sense of motion you have captured. The simplicity of the horizon is simply fantastic, and the hints of grass in thr foreground really set the scene, even without much detail being present. I do miss the drivers though (yeah, I know it's a runaway stagecoach, but this scene just calls out for two guys riding on top). I'm very impressed with this style. 

I took a lot of suggestions to heart (thanks one and all) and am presenting an updated first page to my comic. I think the fonts have been finalized (but would like thoughts on that). I also added a different, rougher texture to the ground and then removed it to leave some random white streaks in it. I also returned the previous sky effect I had used (I didn't want the sun to look like a vortex)

QUESTION: Do I need a ground shadow from the sun? I'm worried it will clash with the road, and I do have some other concerns about getting it to controur correctly along the ground and the dunes.

Looks exceptional to me. Is your graphic novel avaialble in printed or only digital media?

head wax said:

Love what you have achieved....Outstanding....

One I did last year using Vue Complete and it's NPR option. Car is a free model from 3DWarehouse. The buildings are the Dystopian building set from Cornucopia3D.

Very little Photoshop post work except for the usual levels, curves, tone adjustments....

• StarlawStarlaw Posts: 71
    edited December 2017

I'd like to share my NPR work here too. The image re-rendered from DAZ to Unity3D engine. 

Post edited by Starlaw on
  • kenmo said:

Looks exceptional to me. Is your graphic novel available in printed or only digital media?

Thanks! This is just a 12-page comic book story, and a standalone story at that (although it is loosely tied to some other stories I wrote and illustrated back in the 1990s). It will be available both in print and online. Also, you guys are going to be seeing it page-by-page as I seek advice to get this thing finished.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    head wax said:

Very nice. Are the reins & harness from a DAZ Store product? 

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,534

Hey guys, I've been traveling for the past 2 weeks with spotty Internet.  Luckely, I was able to get some free stuff that was availale for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.  I'm back now and here is a practice render using some new poses.  Not really happy with it but that is what practice is for.

Heads up, I updated Photoshop and now the Nix collection is no longer included as a plugin.  However most of the features are availble in PS if you look and play under Image adjustments.  Also, I've gone through the thread and caught up.  Some good stuff was posted while I was gone.

Superheros by tkdrobert

I like this one a bit better.

Superheros II by tkdrobert

edited December 2017

Just playing around with this Robot-Guy I created in Groboto3D & 3D Coat. I don't know how to rig in Daz or Poser (I have Poser Pro 2012).

On the 3DCoat forum I posted a turntable animation of my Robot-Guy on the first page of this thread, about halfway down...

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20829-kenmos-wip/

However I was able to quickly uploaded him to Mixamo (which I have free access to via my Adobe Creative Cloud membership) and found a running animation. I then exported from Mixamo to Photoshop CC 2018 and found a frame in the animation sequnece I liked.

Base render in Vue Complete 2016.

Running Robot Base Render in Vue=KRM.png
    1252 x 1067 - 465K
    Post edited by kenmo on

Render in Vue with several NPR styles to different layers (texture, crosshatching, toon). Except for the buildings. They were created in Photoshop on a separate layer and used the Filter Forge crosshatching filter.

VueNPR.png
    1254 x 1067 - 2M

Same render but all used Filter Forge and Topaz on the base Vue render.

I much prefer this version.

How about you?

Running Robot {2017}=KRM.png
    1252 x 1067 - 2M
    tkdrobert said:

I like this one a bit better.

Superheros II by tkdrobert

Concur, this is a better version...BUT both are killer...

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    kenmo said:

Same render but all used Filter Forge and Topaz on the base Vue render.

I much prefer this version.

How about you?

This one, I find the other’s crosshatching.a little too “busy”.This one’s cleaner.

— Walt Sterdan

• Latest update. I decided to add more detail and a shadow from the spire. Thoughts?

Page01_Proof_12-03-2017.jpg
    2752 x 4200 - 8M
    edited December 2017

Latest update. I decided to add more detail and a shadow from the spire. Thoughts?

Do you think the caption should be inside a box or scroll?

EDIT: I have scrapped this version. The highlights and shadows were all in the wrong places. I'm keeping the tone layers and reapplying them.

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    edited December 2017

A concept art, part of my comic

justicar revamp.jpg
    2500 x 3235 - 3M
    Post edited by Sammagi on

A tribute to Star Blazers.  I loved this show as a Kid.

Star-Blazers Tribute by tkdrobert

Fixed a minor comic book law that I just learned about and still broke.

Star-Blazers Tribute (fix) by tkdrobert

• tkdrobert said:

And what law would that be, friend? Nice work, btw. Colors are nice and the character definitely fits in with the style of the Starblazaers series. Raised leg joins to the hip in a slightly wonky way, but no other obvious problems with this illustration. I like the shading on the planet and space, too. Nice job all around.

edited December 2017

Revisited and finalized the Derringer Illustration I showed you a while back.

Derringer_Illustration2_Proof.jpg
    752 x 855 - 276K
  • Latest update. I decided to add more detail and a shadow from the spire. Thoughts?

Do you think the caption should be inside a box or scroll?

EDIT: I have scrapped this version. The highlights and shadows were all in the wrong places. I'm keeping the tone layers and reapplying them.

I know you said you scrapped this version, but wanted to say that the shadow for the mountain was a good effect. When you first described it a few posts before I thought it would clash or distract from the depth, but this ended up striking a good balance to still look like "bright desert" and also have the sun behind the spire.

On the caption, it seems readable enough, but if you get a test print and it's tough to read, I think a faded box or light gradient to the top would be better than a solid box with an outline, to keep emphasis on the speech bubble.

I haven't been keeping up, but also wanted to say it's been really nice to see the progress and the changes along the way with this! Always cool to see the process.

tkdrobert said:

And what law would that be, friend? Nice work, btw. Colors are nice and the character definitely fits in with the style of the Starblazaers series. Raised leg joins to the hip in a slightly wonky way, but no other obvious problems with this illustration. I like the shading on the planet and space, too. Nice job all around.

I'd have to look up the rule again to get the name, but it's about lines touching and creating the impression that they are connected when they are not.  In the original image, the wing of the left jet is touching the planet in that manner, at least to me, so I corrected it.  The ackward hip is probably from me trying to add an additional morph to the Hiro 4 morph (for G1).  I was trying to make him a little less skinny.  The Hiro morphs are hard to work with IMO.

This discussion has been closed.