edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    PS... M4 looks very scrumptious!

Down, boy! Bad doggie...

No drool allowed.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr WOOF
    Don't make me roll up the newspaper ... ;)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    RAMWolff said:
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    PS... M4 looks very scrumptious!

Down, boy! Bad doggie...

No drool allowed.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr WOOF
    Don't make me roll up the newspaper ... ;)

Sticks and Stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! *raspberry* ;-)~

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,963
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Sticks and Stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! *raspberry* ;-)~

LMAO, ok so I should cut up the newspaper and whip up a 'daisy chain' from it? ;)
    edited December 1969

Naw, I'd just eat it! ;-)~

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited May 2015

EDIT: Sorry, I had a problem here but then I discovered (finally) how to fix it. ^^

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,963
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Naw, I'd just eat it! ;-)~

LMAO *hug*
  • revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
    edited December 1969

I know I'm missing something, but in the beginning of the thread where they mentioned their SSS settings they said:

SSS stuff:
    2 measure
    color
    measure .5
    .3 sss
    -.5 dir

Can you tell me which settings those are?

All my char has under surfaces>Subsurface active are:
    subsurface color
    Subsurface Strength
    Subsurface Refraction
    Subsurface Scale
    Subsurface Group
    Subsurface Shading Rate
    And subD Displacement level

I'm sorry as I'm sure I'm missing something and it's probably obvious to get skins like the ones shown on page 1.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

First, the settings your seeing are from the AoA SSS Shader and not the Iray shader. If you select the surface tab and then the sub group volume you get the SSS options. These only show up if you have thin walled off by the way. First is transmitted Measurement Distance, second is Transmitted Color, third is scattering Measurement Distance, SSS Amount, SSS Direction is the last one.

• revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
    edited December 1969

Oh OK. Thanks!

• WSCWSC Posts: 157
    edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:
    Okay, I got my hair settings together (I've been distracted by hockey).

Some notes:

Translucence can be spotty. If you're using a hair where the hair from the back of the neck is very noticeable from the front, it might be best to turn it off (This is more a problem with the nature of trans-mapped hair)

I replace all hair textures with OOT's since, it makes it easier for me to make presets and get predictable results I also go into the image editor and set the horizontal tiling to 2 or higher to make it crisper (when did daz add that? its made my life so much easier. I used to do do many weird tricks to try to tile textures without effecting opacity) You don't have to do that, but if you have any favorite hair textures that are tillable, I recommend it

These settings are for brown hair, for blond hair I have to turn the spec way up.

The other reason I recommend tiling textures is editing purposes, I did 99% of the setup on a sphere, It renders quickly, so its easy to have your aux view in rendered mode, and its way easier to see which way the anisotropy is actually going.

The other image is the displacement map I'm using it makes the hair strandier, and is especially useful on flatter hairs. Watch out for the displacement on hairs that have modeled strands, I forgot to turn down the subD on the strands on one of goldtassel's hairs and slowed my computer to a crawl. When I turned it off for the strands it did look fantastic though.

Thanks for this. With a little tweaking, this worked great on black hair I'm using for an image.

• ThorneThorne Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info shared, I tweak some settings and I'm fine with the results so far...

I love your character! :)

• 8eos88eos8 Posts: 170
    edited June 2015

I just tried out the Iray skin for Vicky 7, lit by our favorite HDRI....I think she looks pretty great! :)

v7-pixar.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 635K
    Post edited by 8eos8 on
  • NosiferretNosiferret Posts: 331
    edited July 2015

Don't know if I should post this question here, or a new thread, but thought I'd swing this by the iRay experts here.... today I rolled out the iray thingy and decided to test it out on a fiddled skin texture. I was using RawArts Dokk texture and I wanted a lighter version of it and black eyebrows so off to Photoshop I go and fiddled with it and came back with a lighter texture. It renders fine in 3delight, not a single problem at all with it. But when I use iRay, the torso and face are darker than the limbs and the limbs are much lighter, almost white. The original texture stays the same through both iray and 3delight. What went wrong?

Post edited by Nosiferret on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You changed the gamma setting when saving it out of Photoshop...not by anything you actually did, but the colorspace/profile changed. (going from sRGB to Adobe or something along those lines...)

Did you do all the pieces at once?

You'll probably need to go back to the originals and do it again, making sure they are all saved with the same color profile/gamma correction (or not)

• NosiferretNosiferret Posts: 331
    edited December 1969

For all 3 items I duplicated, Desat, Levels and Screen. The 3Delight rendered figure comes out perfectly fine. I don't see anything wrong. Rendered in Iray and the torso appears 'darker' than I intended and the limbs are almost snow white. All I did was swap out the texture maps with the ones I did. I'll try it again but I think I'm going to get the same result. Hmm

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Then it's DS that's messing up the gamma settings...I'm guessing if you looked at them under the Surface > Image Editor that the gamma setting for the washed out ones is showing 1.0 or something like that.

If you have gamma 'off' in 3Delight, that won't matter and it won't show any difference, all the maps will look the same.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,080
    edited September 2015

Finalizing Fiddling.

maori2.jpg
    695 x 900 - 400K
    Post edited by DarwinsMishap on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

If anybody wants to create their own normal maps, Nvidia do a plug-in for Photoshop where you can. I have, albeit wrongly, been using it for years. If you have an Nvidia graphics card you can preview them.

Here it is:

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

CHEERS!

Thanks for the heads up Roger!

No worries, it's been there for years, I was using it back when I had Poser 7 and I don't think DS was capable of utilising them at the time. What I was doing wrong was creating them from the diffuse maps instead of the bump maps.

CHEERS!

edited November 2018

Yea, tried it out.  Kinda crap actually.  The UI is so small you can't see any of the detail to determine if you need to make any tweaks to the map.  The online version is much better even if the UI is also a little too small... that's here: http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/  There are exports for Normal, Displacement, Specular and Ambient so that's really helpful!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

Thanks for the info shared, I tweak some settings and I'm fine with the results so far...

Wow, this is sooo cute, I LOVE the skin and those eyes.

I wish I knew how to get that. 

Just BEAUTIFUL.

RAMWolff said:

Yea, tried it out.  Kinda crap actually.  The UI is so small you can't see any of the detail to determine if you need to make any tweaks to the map.  The online version is much better even if the UI is also a little too small... that's here: http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ ; There are exports for Normal, Displacement, Specular and Ambient so that's really helpful!

It's better than nothing, and it's free. That link you posted doesn't work.

CHEERS!

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    Rogerbee said:
    RAMWolff said:

Yea, tried it out.  Kinda crap actually.  The UI is so small you can't see any of the detail to determine if you need to make any tweaks to the map.  The online version is much better even if the UI is also a little too small... that's here: http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ ; There are exports for Normal, Displacement, Specular and Ambient so that's really helpful!

It's better than nothing, and it's free. That link you posted doesn't work.

CHEERS!

Try this one http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

Yup, that worked, bookmarked for later.

CHEERS!

• Just wanted to peek in here to tell that I just finished fiddling with Iray skin settings. :)

And I decided to make Iray Material Presets for all of my 18! male character packs as updates. So soon, everyone who bought an M4 character of mine at any time will get the update in DIM. Iray Material Presets then can also be used on G2M, even with genitals - it only requires M4 for G2M by Slosh.

Just so you know, if necessary, I can explain the settings for the skin and how to best alter it for a more dry/wet outcome or darker/brighter appearance.

Oooh, sounds good!

Turns out I have Rodan and M4 for G2M. I'll be more than happy to see what you can do with Iray.

CHEERS!

• jepegraphicsjepegraphics Posts: 865
    edited September 2015
    Rogerbee said:

Oooh, sounds good!

Turns out I have Rodan and M4 for G2M. I'll be more than happy to see what you can do with Iray.

CHEERS!

I only made Iray Material Presets for Rodan 2.0 - Rodan has no bump and spec maps so a decent skin setting wasn't possible unfortunately.Same goes for Tye2 and Sang2, both previous versions couldn't be updated.

Post edited by jepegraphics on