Tips & Tricks for Iray for newbies......

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Sertorial said:
    With Iray in DAZ Studio, you can work in the program using any windows you want while still seeing what the render will look like. Use the Iray Viewport, that is what it is for. (Better hardware makes this more useful, of course.) 
    what do you mean "use the Iray viewport"? I have no idea what this means. A screenshot would be helpful. The only Destinations I can see for a render are "New window" or "Direct to file"
    This is not when rendering, Window > Panes > Aux Viewport gives you a second, small viewport that you can set to Iray drawstyle (if you have a really good graphics card you can even set the main viewport to Iray).
  • SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited August 2015
    Sertorial said:
    With Iray in DAZ Studio, you can work in the program using any windows you want while still seeing what the render will look like. Use the Iray Viewport, that is what it is for. (Better hardware makes this more useful, of course.) 
    what do you mean "use the Iray viewport"? I have no idea what this means. A screenshot would be helpful. The only Destinations I can see for a render are "New window" or "Direct to file"
    This is not when rendering, Window > Panes > Aux Viewport gives you a second, small viewport that you can set to Iray drawstyle (if you have a really good graphics card you can even set the main viewport to Iray).

Right, so as I originally said, Iray is a blocking interface (i.e. you can't do anything else while rendeing!). *rolleyes*

Using another viewport to get some kind of a render 'preview' (only if you have the right graphics card) is hardly a solution!

Sorry guys, but Reality wins hands down over all these limitations. 

Post edited by Sertorial on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I don't have a NVIDIA card but can have the Aux Viewport open and set to Iray, I have even had the main Viewport set to Iray at the same time but there is a lot of lag when I do that surprise

Iray is an internal renderer where Reality sends the scene to Luxrender externally, so I believe as I tried 2.0 a few times and didn't like it. Have you tried opening another instance of Daz Studio and work on a scene in that? I haven't tried that so I don't know if it works but I open Bryce while Daz Studio is rendering and work on it in the background. In fact I have just finished a 37 hour render in Bryce and have done two renders in DAZ Studio and set up a third scene while it was doing that smiley

I work with the limitations; I don't fight them wink

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

If you don't like Iray and nothing will change your mind, you may be posting in the wrong thread. If you want to learn more about using Iray, this is the place to do that.

Please, let's try to stay on topic and positive. I'd like to learn all I can about Iray.

John

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    Sertorial said:
    Sertorial said:

Right, so as I originally said, Iray is a blocking interface (i.e. you can't do anything else while rendeing!). *rolleyes*

Using another viewport to get some kind of a render 'preview' (only if you have the right graphics card) is hardly a solution!

Sorry guys, but Reality wins hands down over all these limitations. 

Blocking Interface?

Please ignore the location of the panes shown. They can be anywhere you want them to be, this just happens to be my usual workflow setup. 

If you have the hardware for it then you don't need to change the render setting to Interactive, like I did for the image attached, you just need to adjust the blending settings on the Drawstyles pane. Note that it helps if you convert all your 3delight (or Poser) shaders to Iray shaders before doing this. Once it does the calculations once, if you are in Interactive for final render while you do your manipulation, and increase the threshold (again hardware dependent) you can usually, with most reasonable NVIDIA cards, see changes at 20 FPS or higher. 

If you are moving things around you aren't on your final render anyway. Nothing is blocked, though if you change a shader it might take a moment to calculate. Unlike Reality even geometry changes are allowed. No spot render required. And when you are closer to what you want, then change your render setting to photoreal for last adjustments before rendering. If you don't have an NVIDIA card you can do the same thing in the Aux Viewport, as long as you keep it small. 

Rendering, regardless of your render engine, is hardware dependent. The better your hardware the faster you render and the more you can do. 

DSViewport.jpg
    951 x 1033 - 99K
    DrawSettingsPane.jpg
    451 x 411 - 27K
    Rendersettings.jpg
    435 x 740 - 33K
  • Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177
    edited August 2015

I’m a newbie it comes to Iray Rendering(s) & I may not have the best video card (I have a GeForce GTX-670 as I understand it has Cuda Cores: 1344) for it but I think a 1 hour 14 minutes & 41 seconds for just a “simple” scene of the “Mansion-Backyard” (http://www.daz3d.com/mansion-backyard ) with the Mansion filling background. I just checked the Photoreal Devices & Optix Prime Acceleration Devices: (CPU & my Video Card on both).

I think for such a simple scene 1:14:10 is an outrageous time, but maybe it might be my settings.

Thanks,

1.14.1.jpg
    1130 x 982 - 880K
    Post edited by Turk_WLF on
    Turk_WLF said:

I’m a newbie it comes to Iray Rendering(s) & I may not have the best video card (I have a GeForce GTX-670 as I understand it has Cuda Cores: 1344) for it but I think a 1 hour 14 minutes & 41 seconds for just a “simple” scene of the “Mansion-Backyard” (http://www.daz3d.com/mansion-backyard ) with the Mansion filling background. I just checked the Photoreal Devices & Optix Prime Acceleration Devices: (CPU & my Video Card on both).

I think for such a simple scene 1:14:10 is an outrageous time, but maybe it might be my settings.

Thanks,

How much dedicated video RAM does that GTX 670 have? (NVIDIA Control Panel, Help->System Information under dedicated Video Memory Or the System Information at the bottom of the pane.) 

• Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177
    Turk_WLF said:

Thanks,

How much dedicated video RAM does that GTX 670 have? (NVIDIA Control Panel, Help->System Information under dedicated Video Memory Or the System Information at the bottom of the pane.) 

DAZ_Spooky, It has 4096 MB GDDR5 of Dedicated Video Memory.

Turk_WLF said:
    Turk_WLF said:

Thanks,

Huh. I didn't know they made a GTX 670 with 4GB video ram, learn something new every day. :)  Sorry about that. If you check your DAZ Studio log it should list the card as rendering, and how many iterations were CPU and how many were GPU. I am going to presume that the GPU did render more iterations than the CPU, so it is something else, but it won't hurt to check.  

This brings it down to lighting and materials and since the set starts with Iray materials, it is likely I am going to have to look deeper into this. Can I get you to please file a support ticket and include the DUF file and DS log? 

(Please PM me the ticket number so I can look for it.) 

Turk_WLF said:
    Turk_WLF said:

Thanks,

Huh. I didn't know they made a GTX 670 with 4GB video ram, learn something new every day. :)  Sorry about that. If you check your DAZ Studio log it should list the card as rendering, and how many iterations were CPU and how many were GPU. I am going to presume that the GPU did render more iterations than the CPU, so it is something else, but it won't hurt to check.  

This brings it down to lighting and materials and since the set starts with Iray materials, it is likely I am going to have to look deeper into this. Can I get you to please file a support ticket and include the DUF file and DS log? 

(Please PM me the ticket number so I can look for it.) 

Never mind, I believe I know what is taking so long. Iray takes longer to render poorly lit spaces. In the case of this scene the interior of the house is a number of interior rooms. Throwing a light in each of the rooms reduces render times but doesn't really fit with a daylight exterior pool scene. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

You could try turning them all into reflective surfaces. Hmm.

You could try turning them all into reflective surfaces. Hmm.

Unless you make them 100% reflective, that won't reduce render time but will make it look less real. Good idea though. 

I also considered the Architectural Sampler, which is designed to help in some of these circumstances, but this isn't one of them.

What may work better is to put black cubes, just inside the windows, or perhaps planes, if the window frame is deeper than the window, like it is on the exterior, have the planes intersect the window frame so no light gets through. :)  

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Does D|S support light portals?  It's discussed in the Iray technical docs, but I don't see a feature exposing it. I believe this is an application that could use it. The idea is to help Iray know where out-of-room lights are coming from, and is said to help in certqain types of architectural scenes.

Tobor said:

Does D|S support light portals?  It's discussed in the Iray technical docs, but I don't see a feature exposing it. I believe this is an application that could use it. The idea is to help Iray know where out-of-room lights are coming from, and is said to help in certqain types of architectural scenes.

Not quite yet. 

• edited August 2015

Edit: It now shows up in the Preset Area. Still not in the folders, but that is enough for me.

everytime they add something new or change something, it seems my Daz Studio gets messed up...

Has anyone please have any idea why i have no Iray folder under Genesis 2 Female>Materials ???

Trying to follow the tutorials and want to add the skin presets for Iray, but it's simply not there.

The Ubersurface is where it should be, but smart content never worked for me and i can't find the folder anywhere in Genesis 2 Female

Post edited by statistx_42556c1853 on
  • Did you install the updated Gensis 2 Female Starter Essentials? You may also not have installed the updated Default Lights and Shaders.

• Did you install the updated Gensis 2 Female Starter Essentials? You may also not have installed the updated Default Lights and Shaders.

Yeah thanks, i did that earlier, but the folder is still not there, which is why i wrote, BUUUUUUT now i just realized i see it in the presets area now, which is good enough for me.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Jimmy Iray shaders are under Presets in the Surfaces Pane if they are installed. Mine are there but you do need to Expand Shaders and find Iray. ;)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Has anyone else realised that Gloss Weight and Reflection strength are not needed and has no effect when Metalicity is on at 1.00, only Roughness works?

• Hello, can anyone make suggestions for settings or add ons that will help get nice looking skin using Iray? Every render I do leaves noise/grain on the skin of my Genesis 3 models. I have experimented with increasing ISO, lower shutter speed, lower aperature, I use Iray lighting (fill, rim, main), render quality at 1.0 and give it an over abundanc of time to complete. Still I get grain. Are there ambient/uber/environment lights that work with Iray rendering that could help? Do I need to buy special shaders or something I don't know about. Please help! I would love to solve the problem of having noisy skin!

Post a picture showing what you mean?

If the entire picture has noise, it probably means you just need to let it render longer.

• Jack238Jack238 Posts: 117

Hello, can anyone make suggestions for settings or add ons that will help get nice looking skin using Iray? Every render I do leaves noise/grain on the skin of my Genesis 3 models. I have experimented with increasing ISO, lower shutter speed, lower aperature, I use Iray lighting (fill, rim, main), render quality at 1.0 and give it an over abundanc of time to complete. Still I get grain. Are there ambient/uber/environment lights that work with Iray rendering that could help? Do I need to buy special shaders or something I don't know about. Please help! I would love to solve the problem of having noisy skin!

Hi, I think I know what you are talking about but in this case a picture might really help to get to the bottom of this. I noticed that the "grainy look" seems to happen more under strong directional light. Sometimes that strong directional light is needed for the composition. I would suggest turning down the glossiness and turning up the roughness in the shaders as this sometimes works for me in reducing graininess. I am not sure why that works for me in some cases but I know that it has worked for me. Also in the Render Settings>Filtering try enabling or disabling the Firefly and Noise Filters.

Jack

• Thank you. I will try to alter these settings as best I can by turing down the glossiness on the skin and increase the roughness as well as the render settings. Are there any suggested settings to get the best quality you can without considering time as a factor? If I can afford a 24 hour render lets say, what kind of quality should you be rendering at?

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 16.04.09.png
    282 x 192 - 41K
    Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 16.04.18.png
    614 x 230 - 92K
  • Jack238Jack238 Posts: 117

Thank you. I will try to alter these settings as best I can by turing down the glossiness on the skin and increase the roughness as well as the render settings. Are there any suggested settings to get the best quality you can without considering time as a factor? If I can afford a 24 hour render lets say, what kind of quality should you be rendering at?

Thanks the attachements certainly help. You mentioned playing with the Tone Mapping parameters of the Render Settings. I would suggest setting the Exposure Value to 13 to start. It will reset several other parameters to attain the 13 just like a real camera would. If the lighting is way off at that setting when you render, the problem maybe the lighting is probably too little or maybe too much. At any rate, get the lighting to be approximately correct at an EV of 13 as a good starting point. I have done renders that have the same "grain" and it was caused by a low light situation which is very close to what a real camera in a low light situation would produce. 

I have played with the Rendering Quality parameter but I now leave it at 1. I hope others can help you that parameter. I don't think this is an issue that Rendering Quality will resolve.

• Thank you.

• How does one achieve interior global ambient lighting using Iray? I seem to recall someone saying that Uber Environment lights do not work with Iray...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

One way...use the dome/hdri and whatever windows/doors/openings you 'set' has...this has the advantage of being 'natural'; letting the EXTERIOR light come into the room.   Depending on the room, you may want to add supplemental lighting and/or 'bounce cards' (large white planes 'off camera').

A second way. add/turn into emitters any light fixtures in the 'set' and use those as if they were the actual room lights.  This can be helped along with IES profiles attached to lights and/or bounce cards.

A third...find a 'matching' HDR image...something that fits the scene, put it in place and remove chunks of geometry to get the light where you want it.  This also works for 'open' sets...ones that aren't completely enclosed spaces.

And no matter which way you go (or combination of techniques) you will have to adjust your tone mapping settings...by default they are set for exterior with the included HDR (Ruins) image scenes.

If you can pull it off, I highly recommend d replacing bulbs with point lights set to sphere (or cylinder) geometry. In my experience it speeds up renders.
  • mjc1016 said:

One way...use the dome/hdri and whatever windows/doors/openings you 'set' has...this has the advantage of being 'natural'; letting the EXTERIOR light come into the room.   Depending on the room, you may want to add supplemental lighting and/or 'bounce cards' (large white planes 'off camera').

A second way. add/turn into emitters any light fixtures in the 'set' and use those as if they were the actual room lights.  This can be helped along with IES profiles attached to lights and/or bounce cards.

A third...find a 'matching' HDR image...something that fits the scene, put it in place and remove chunks of geometry to get the light where you want it.  This also works for 'open' sets...ones that aren't completely enclosed spaces.

And no matter which way you go (or combination of techniques) you will have to adjust your tone mapping settings...by default they are set for exterior with the included HDR (Ruins) image scenes.

Fourth, use point/spot lights and adjust their geometry setting to match the actual light source.