Tips & Tricks for Iray for newbies......

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

New Iray thing.

Nobody seems to like it. :)

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited July 2015

Sertorial, hello there. It has been a while. Working on first cup of coffee here, morning.

Lights are a bit odd. Most 'Shader' lights for 3delight, don't work in Iray, and some Iray lights don't work in 3delight. And others work in both. It's kind of maddening.

Simple rule to save us all some hair ripping.

'Lumen' control is for Iray

'Intensity' is for 3delight.

I don't know much about the headlamp, that one is an odd creature. I think it works everywhere (LuxRender?)

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

It's just a special Iray light placed to provide illumination wherever camera is pointing. Good to replicate flash or similar, I'd say. You can control how offset the light is from the camera. It's other properties are just like other lights.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    Sertorial said:

Sertorial, hello there. It has been a while. Working on first cup of coffee here, morning.

Lights are a bit odd. Most 'Shader' lights for 3delight, don't work in Iray, and some Iray lights don't work in 3delight. And others work in both. It's kind of maddening.

I don't know much about the headlamp, that one is an odd creature. I think it works everywhere (LuxRender?)

Thanks.

To be honest, having got used to the luxury of using proper render engines (LuxRender) where you can a) change lighting on the fly, b) network render with multiple machines, c) have a non-blocking interface, allowing you to pose the next scene while rendering the last, I doubt I'll continue with Iray (which can do none of those things).

• Sertorial said:

Thanks.

To be honest, having got used to the luxury of using proper render engines (LuxRender) where you can a) change lighting on the fly, b) network render with multiple machines, c) have a non-blocking interface, allowing you to pose the next scene while rendering the last, I doubt I'll continue with Iray (which can do none of those things).

Top that off with there is no quick spot-render in Iray. Yes the functionality is there, and the use is the same. It's just on this computer setting up surfaces, click-drag where I want to see something, then wait over an hour for the highlights and shadows to fill in, lol.

Make an adjustment, then wait an hour. tweak the adjustment more, then wait another hour. That's why I haven't made a ZdgTestChamber for Iray, setting up the lights takes to long. I haven't fussed with Iray in a very long time, tho it is still a very good tool to keep around.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    Sertorial said:

Thanks.

You've got me on the network rendering. On the other hand luxrender would continually use all my compuers memory and cpu meaning I couldnt even use the internet, let alone start another scene. With Iray, on the other hand I will routinely do other work while Iray is rendering. And yes you can adjust light intensity on the fly in lux, you can't, however, adjust light position without going back to daz and adjusting without any feedback and having to re-export the scene. Whereas, with Iray, I can adjust all my lighting (and everything else) with instant feedback using the auxilary viewport rendering. However, just because Luxrender can't do those things doesnt mean its not a "proper render engine" it just means it doesn't fit my workflow. Perhaps Iray doesn't fit yours, but that says absolutely nothing about its quality as a render engine

j cade said:
    Sertorial said:

You've got me on the network rendering. On the other hand luxrender would continually use all my compuers memory and cpu meaning I couldnt even use the internet, let alone start another scene. With Iray, on the other hand I will routinely do other work while Iray is rendering. And yes you can adjust light intensity on the fly in lux, you can't, however, adjust light position without going back to daz and adjusting without any feedback and having to re-export the scene. Whereas, with Iray, I can adjust all my lighting (and everything else) with instant feedback using the auxilary viewport rendering. However, just because Luxrender can't do those things doesnt mean its not a "proper render engine" it just means it doesn't fit my workflow. Perhaps Iray doesn't fit yours, but that says absolutely nothing about its quality as a render engine

Well, the blocking interface of Iray is pretty much a showstopper for me. And as for memory hogging, i find the opposite. Lux leaves me enough memory to pose a new scene while an earlier one is rendering (I do it regularly). Whereas when I ran an Iray render the other day, the computer all but ceased up for anything else. I could hardly even browse the web!

How are you managing to adjust lighting mid way through an Iray render? It locks the Studio interface, so I don't see how that's possible. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577

...there's a small tab on the left side of the render window that when clicked, opens up the render settings. You have to pause the render first, change your settings, them resume and the new settings will take effect.

I hear you though on not being able to rendering background. That is one of the features I liked about Lux, Just didn't care for the fact Reality4 didn't play well with older files and the glacially long render times.involved that make Bryce look like Iray on a Titan-X.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

@KK: I can use the render settings window without pausing the render first.

kyoto kid said:

...there's a small tab on the left side of the render window that when clicked, opens up the render settings. You have to pause the render first, change your settings, them resume and the new settings will take effect.

I hear you though on not being able to rendering background. That is one of the features I liked about Lux, Just didn't care for the fact Reality4 didn't play well with older files and the glacially long render times.involved that make Bryce look like Iray on a Titan-X.

Do you mean this tab? I see no pause button.

As for glacial render times, this is not a problem for me as I render using several networked machines. Anyway, Reality 4.1 will be very much faster apparently.

Tjohn said:

@KK: I can use the render settings window without pausing the render first.

@Tjohn - How? The render progress dialog is the active window and inactivates all other windows (the Studio window itself and the render window). How are you able to do anything without cancelling the render?

Capture.JPG
    378 x 485 - 26K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

It's on the render window

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

See the image below:

Untitled-1.jpg
    830 x 768 - 657K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited July 2015

Not the Render settings pane. There is an triangle on the left side of the render window. This will open a panel where you can access some of the render settings. You don't have to pause the render. Changes can be made "on-the-fly". As you can see, the render progress window remains open, and will update with the changes on the subsequent iterations.

Capture.JPG
    232 x 432 - 29K
    Capture2.JPG
    343 x 440 - 21K
    Capture3.JPG
    1443 x 342 - 106K
    Post edited by TJohn on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

Adding lights to Iray does not generally slow down a render. In fact Iray renders faster with more lights. (Usually).

Sertorial said:
    Sertorial said:

Thanks.

A "proper render engine?" That term does not mean what you want it to mean.

Iray is significantly more efficeint in using additional hardware you throw at it. A GTX 980Ti costs significantly (so does a TitanX) less than any computer you would want to add to a network render. Throw a pair of those in a computer and you are rendering 3000-5000 iterations in minutes instead of Lux's hours. 

You want interactive, set your viewport display settings correctly. You can have Iray running in interactive mode and on many computers it will run at 20FPS or higher, adjust lights, replace shaders, all right there in the viewport. (No it isn't the final render but it lets you see what your changes are doing.) 

As for blocking the interface? What specifically are you talking about? Render engines should use all of your assigned hardware at very close to 100% of capacity, or they are not efficeint. 

Network rendering? Currently available in Iray, though restricted to networked VCA, but does include cloud based VCA. Even without networking Iray can easily get your render times down to under 10 minutes per frame (Less if you are optimizing for animation) because you can throw more hardware at it. 

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251

This may or may not be helpful, but I'll share anyway. My husband is a photographer and I have applied some of the things I've learned from assisting him to rendering in IRAY.

One of the things he commonly does is use 'fill cards' to bounce and reflect light to the subject to soften shadows, fill in darker areas of the model's face, etc.

To replicate this effect, I apply a low intensity light emmitting shader to a primitive plane and use that as a virtual 'fill card'. Here is an example of the card and settings:

here is the shot without the fill card:

here is the same shot with the fill:

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,156
    @DAZ_Spooky said "You want interactive, set your viewport display settings correctly." I don't know how to set the Draw Settings parameters correctly for good viewport performance. Can you give us some guidance, please?
    barbult said:
    @DAZ_Spooky said "You want interactive, set your viewport display settings correctly." I don't know how to set the Draw Settings parameters correctly for good viewport performance. Can you give us some guidance, please?

It is highly hardware dependent. 

For eample: 

If you set your render mode to interactive, and turn your response threshold up, then you will, once the shaders are converted to Iray, almost always be looking at the interactive mode. And it won't blend into photoreal, which should leave you responsive. There is no SSS and a fw other things in Interactive mode but what you see is close to what you will get when you switch to photoreal for final render. 

For most systems with NVIDIA cards that hold the scene this will run at 20FPS or more. Note I can't predict what will work best for individual systems. :) 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    Tim OG said:

This may or may not be helpful, but I'll share anyway. My husband is a photographer and I have applied some of the things I've learned from assisting him to rendering in IRAY.

One of the things he commonly does is use 'fill cards' to bounce and reflect light to the subject to soften shadows, fill in darker areas of the model's face, etc.

To replicate this effect, I apply a low intensity light emmitting shader to a primitive plane and use that as a virtual 'fill card'. Here is an example of the card and settings:

..I use this technique a lot. but instead of using the emission shader I just give the plane a "high" white surface. I find using the White Car Paint Shader works pretty good for this

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Sertorial said:
    Anyway, Reality 4.1 will be very much faster apparently.

No, it won't be...Reality is just an exporter.  Luxrender, the renderer that Reality is an exporter for...yes, that will have massive speed improvements.   That means any exporter should be able to access them.

+++++

Bounce cards ARE cheating...in the sense that you aren't actually setting up another lighting rig.

It's not just photographers that use them.  We used them. alot when shooting video for commericials.  Heck of a lot easier to set up than more lights...cooler, too.  (In those days, you didn't really need a stove to do a cooking show...the studio lights were almost enough...fortunately for me, I was in the nice, cool audio control room;..)

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Some of these questions have been answered, but

If you use the aux viewport you can set it to render progressively (technically you could use the main viewport I suppose, but it would eat far more memory than my laptops has) as I am a incorrigible material and lighting tweaker It is invaluable. Like I said it really comes down to what your workflow is. Luxrender doesn't work for me at all; the few times I used it I still wanted to do 50+ test renders for all the materials and lighting and just the time it takes to export and load the objects, let alone render, was prohibitive. On the other hand there are some absolutely fantastic renders out there done with it

As others have mentioned, you can adjust the tonemapping during the iray render, and, if you use canvases, you can even adjust the individual light strengths in post, giving a similar functionality to luxrender (one does have to use a photoediting software capable of handling layers though, it is not nearly as elegant as how lux handles it). All you have to do is enable canvases, set the canvas type to lightgroup have your a selected and select nodes>create from selection. Honestly though, I've never really used it because with the interactive rendering I've already tweaked the lighting exactly how I want it.

Honestly my favorite renderer is probably still blender's cycles, but, unless I'm doing something with strand hair or particles, not having to set up all the materials pretty much manually means Iray saves me more than enough time to be worth it.

j cade said:

Honestly my favorite renderer is probably still blender's cycles, but, unless I'm doing something with strand hair or particles, not having to set up all the materials pretty much manually means Iray saves me more than enough time to be worth it.

Yeah...too bad there isn't one renderer that does it all...

edited July 2015

Iray is significantly more efficeint in using additional hardware you throw at it. A GTX 980Ti costs significantly (so does a TitanX) less than any computer you would want to add to a network render. Throw a pair of those in a computer and you are rendering 3000-5000 iterations in minutes instead of Lux's hours. 

You want interactive, set your viewport display settings correctly. You can have Iray running in interactive mode and on many computers it will run at 20FPS or higher, adjust lights, replace shaders, all right there in the viewport. (No it isn't the final render but it lets you see what your changes are doing.) 

As for blocking the interface? What specifically are you talking about? Render engines should use all of your assigned hardware at very close to 100% of capacity, or they are not efficeint. 

Network rendering? Currently available in Iray, though restricted to networked VCA, but does include cloud based VCA. Even without networking Iray can easily get your render times down to under 10 minutes per frame (Less if you are optimizing for animation) because you can throw more hardware at it. 

what have they done to this forum? You can't quote between lines like you could before with /quote damned annoying!

By blocking, I mean that when you are rendering, the render progress window is made the active window, but it won't let you work on any other windows. They are inactivated. 3Delight did the same. You must surely know what I mean If there is a way to prevent this, please explain how.

Post edited by Sertorial on
    Tjohn said:

Not the Render settings pane. There is an triangle on the left side of the render window. This will open a panel where you can access some of the render settings. You don't have to pause the render. Changes can be made "on-the-fly". As you can see, the render progress window remains open, and will update with the changes on the subsequent iterations.

Yes, I see that, but it's only a very limited set of controls. You can't change lights like you can in Lux. Someone earlier said you could even move lights around! How is that possible during a render as the Studio window is completely blocked/inactivated. 

Sertorial said:

what have they done to this forum? You can't quote between lines like you could before with /quote damned annoying!

By blocking, I mean that when you are rendering, the render progress window is made the active window, but it won't let you work on any other windows. They are inactivated. 3Delight did the same. You must surely know what I mean If there is a way to prevent this, please explain how.

All internal render engines do that. Or at least did that. It allows the render to complete as fast as possible by assigning your resources to that. 

With Iray in DAZ Studio, you can work in the program using any windows you want while still seeing what the render will look like. Use the Iray Viewport, that is what it is for. (Better hardware makes this more useful, of course.) 

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Sertorial said:

I think I might have just figured this out... maybe.

• Place the cursor in the block of quoted text you want to split.
    • Hit return to force a blank line in the middle of the quote. It should still be quote-indented.
    • Make sure the cursor is on the blank line and hit return again. That should split the two halves properly.

It definitely wasn't behaving like this just a couple of days ago; the first time I tried to quote properly I was getting individual blank quote-lines all over the place that couldn't be converted to plain blank lines no matter what I tried.

One bug down, n+1 bugs to go...

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I was working on a render for the July '15 Opposites challenge, (PC Members.) I started out in Dome and Scene environment mode, but couldn't find an HDRI that gave me the kind of shadows I wanted. I ended up without an environment map and using a distant light instead. While I was setting up the scene, I rendered models by themselves to check on details and found my test renders went relatively fast, (for a CPU only render.) But when I put the whole scene together, render speeds were about 8 times slower!

I was able to isolate the problem to the "ground." It didn't matter if I was using the ground that came with the model or using a plane primitive I'd applied the shaders to, it continued to be very slow. Looking at the render settings, I decided to change from Dome and Scene to Scene Only. That solved my problem. Just thought I'd pass that information on. It's just so easy to ignore that setting if everything seems to look the way we want,

If you're interested in the image I was working on, you can find it here: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/79927

Sertorial said:
    With Iray in DAZ Studio, you can work in the program using any windows you want while still seeing what the render will look like. Use the Iray Viewport, that is what it is for. (Better hardware makes this more useful, of course.) 

what do you mean "use the Iray viewport"? I have no idea what this means. A screenshot would be helpful. The only Destinations I can see for a render are "New window" or "Direct to file"
  • What about the speckles?  This is driving me mad!  I've finally begun to figure out what to click to get iRay to work, and everything comes up with speckles.  Even after allowing it to render overnight.  Is there a setting, something to click or slide, that makes these go away?  And please, even after all these years, I need a picture with circles and arrows to show me exactly what is being discussed...much like I had to do with my own students when explaining a new and confusing concept.

Thanks.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Some "speckles" are fireflies, others are unconverged pixels, and still others are artifacts of certainissues like insufficient geometry for the type of shader you've applied. You should post an image, or a portion of it, to demonstrate the actual problem.

Tobor said:

Some "speckles" are fireflies, others are unconverged pixels, and still others are artifacts of certainissues like insufficient geometry for the type of shader you've applied. You should post an image, or a portion of it, to demonstrate the actual problem.

Tonemapping settings that are not correct for the scene can do it too.