Tips & Tricks for Iray for newbies......

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

No...thats just the standard v7 iray with two changes. I'm still trying to come to terms with Iray. Although I'm happy with the results I'm getting from Dawn SE that Virtual World did. That link looks to be very useful...thanks for posting it. As I mentioned earlier, that image is just a beginning and still needs work. It is very much a wip. 

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

I think following that link's suggestions is a good idea with one change, SSS Direction being a positve number instead of a negative. Now I am not sure about the change but I got some advice from someone who knows more than me about it. My tests show that having a positive SSS Direction works better.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

I will certainly have a play when I get chance...I've been busy this morning playing with a child morph I'm creating and having a lot of fun with.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    Tobor said:

How does one achieve interior global ambient lighting using Iray? I seem to recall someone saying that Uber Environment lights do not work with Iray...

Depending on your definition of "global ambient light," the Iray environment dome already gives you this. If you want a flat (no shadows)  image that is entirely from indirect light, create a small (1024x1024) plain medium gray texture file. Load it as the Environment Map, then adjust the Environment Intensity to suit. A dark gray will provide less ambience, so the intensity will have to be increased to compensate. I use what roughly appreoximates an 18% reflectance card, but it's not scientific. It just looks about right on the screen. The result is what you'd expect if you took a picture of something in a light tent.

Depending on your scene, you might need to turn the Environment Lighting Blur filter on. This compensates for environments with very low detail.

If you need a little more variation, there are many HDR images that don't provide a bright light source in the image. These will provide a little more variation in the scene, plus more interesting reflections in eyes and shiny surfaces. Mjc has some free HDRs in his sig that fit the bill.

With either type of HDR, you are of course free to augment this "light tent" look with other types of scene lights for visual look.

Even better make your ambient environment texture 1x1 you can also make it any color you want and it serves pretty much the same role AOA's ambient light does in 3delight.

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited September 2015
    Szark said:

I think following that link's suggestions is a good idea with one change, SSS Direction being a positve number instead of a negative. Now I am not sure about the change but I got some advice from someone who knows more than me about it. My tests show that having a positive SSS Direction works better.

Sorry to say that, but in case of SSS Direction your advice is wrong. It would be correct for the skin layers stratum corneum, epidermis and dermis, in which melanin and hemoglobin are strong forward scatterers, but when light reaches the subcutis, it will be reflected back to the skin's surface and so back towards the light source, due to the high refraction index of it's fat cells. Since the IrayUber doesn't include a specific layer to simulate that behaviour, the SSS Direction has to help out there. MEC4D's suggestion of using a negative value is absolutely correct.

Your suggestion let's in the worst case light pass through the entire body, f.e. entering at the chest, moving all the way through the inner organs, and exiting at the back. It needs much higher wavelengths to fulfil that. The penetration depth for light in the visible spectrum for a caucasion skin type is around 90 µm (0.09 mm) at a wavelength of 400 nm (violet spectrum), and 750 µm (~ 0.75 mm) at 700 nm (red spectrum). For asian and african skin types it's even lower, for their skin's absorption abilities are higher.  NVIDIA suggests to avoid a value of -1.0 there though, which wouldn't work that great.

One exception: if the Top Coat Thin Film is thought to simulate the thin oily film aka sebum, a value of 1.5 is more correct than the suggested range of 1.41 - 1.49. You'd also had to take into account, that the scale for the thin film is in nanometers (nm), The strength of the sebum layer varies by body location and individuum, but you can go by a good average of 0.02083 mm ~ 20830 nm. Or a tad more. Values of 1.0 or 100.0 there doesn't make much sense. Better spare your renderer to calculate that.

I'd suggest, if one is interested to make up his own skin shader for Iray, to read at least through:

[1] Takanori Igarashi, Ko Nishino, and Shree K. Nayar: "The Appearance of Human Skin", Department of Computer Science, Columbia University. It's publicly available: "CUCS-024-05". Just to get a basic understanding how skin is build up, and how it interacts with light.

Also interesting:

[2] Zorica GAJINOV, Milan MATIĆ, Sonja PRĆIĆ, Verica ĐURAN: "Optical properties of the human skin", Serbian Journal of Dermatology and Venereology 2010; 2 (4): 131-136, DOI: 10.2478/v10249-011-0029-5 (There's no need to register to download this, just klick at the "Download Full Text" button at the right).

[3] TENN F. CHEN, GLADIMIR V. G. BARANOSKI, BRADLEY W. KIMMEL, and ERIK MIRANDA: "Hyperspectral Modeling of Skin Appearance", University of Waterloo

Post edited by Arnold C on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    j cade said:

Even better make your ambient environment texture 1x1 you can also make it any color you want and it serves pretty much the same role AOA's ambient light does in 3delight.

I'm not sure about this one. Iray experiences artifacts when the HDRi texture has a low resolution. It is specific to certain scene geometry (and maybe shaders). That's what the Environment Blur switch is supposed to overcome -- it applies a Gaussian filter to prevent a kind of edge noise caused from the use of low res HDRis. I've only encountered the issue once, and the blur switch only partially corrected it. Is there some other value for a 1x1 map, other than memory size?

Thanks Arnold. Here don't be sorry I love being corrected. But point in fact the advice came from another who knows about this like yourself so now it is hard to tell who right or wrong. :)

OK here is what DAZ3D's doc s say about SSS direction which I find conctradicts itself

Negative numbers (-) backscatter to the direction of the light source. Positive numbers (+) forward scatter away from the direction of the light.

If it backscatters to the direction of light then that is forward scattering....if it forward scatters away from the light then it is scattering back.

Also it doesn't matter which direction I use, the light passes through the body. I switched off all lighting and used a backlight to test this, same result.

I look up sebum and found many articles suggesting ior of 1.46 - 1.48 and a wavelength of 400 to 600 nm but in my testing the setting doesn't work so well, So I will try 20830 nm and see what it does. Do you know what what this top caot film thickness is, wavelength or just thickness?

As for making a specific skin shader myself, no thanks, I don't particularly like rendering human figures so it would be a waste of my time. I am just trying to understand the shader more than anything  else.

again thanks for taking the time to correct me, I appreciate it.

Has anyone tried top coat thickness yet as when I try these recommended settings I get some weird an wonderful colours?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Yeah, it's funky. Next time I do dragonfly wings I'll have to play with that...

LOL

edited September 2015
    Szark said:

Thanks Arnold. Here don't be sorry I love being corrected. But point in fact the advice came from another who knows about this like yourself so now it is hard to tell who right or wrong. :)

OK here is what DAZ3D's doc s say about SSS direction which I find conctradicts itself

Negative numbers (-) backscatter to the direction of the light source. Positive numbers (+) forward scatter away from the direction of the light.

If it backscatters to the direction of light then that is forward scattering....if it forward scatters away from the light then it is scattering back.

Also it doesn't matter which direction I use, the light passes through the body. I switched off all lighting and used a backlight to test this, same result.

I look up sebum and found many articles suggesting ior of 1.46 - 1.48 and a wavelength of 400 to 600 nm but in my testing the setting doesn't work so well, So I will try 20830 nm and see what it does. Do you know what what this top caot film thickness is, wavelength or just thickness?

As for making a specific skin shader myself, no thanks, I don't particularly like rendering human figures so it would be a waste of my time. I am just trying to understand the shader more than anything  else.

again thanks for taking the time to correct me, I appreciate it.

You're welcome, Szark. Well, as I wrote above, he or she isn't entirely wrong, as it is quite correct that melanin and hemoglobin scatter forward (+). But some people either tend to forget or just plain don't know what the subcutis does. You can judge yourself by looking at the graphic on page 31 of the document CUCS-024-05. At the little grey marbles at the bottom and the way light takes through skin, and what it does when it reaches that layer. Regarding scattering directions (oversimplified):

Forward scattering includes only slight angle changes on the direction the light travels, but always away from the source:

Lightsource............................................."Scatterer"

[O] ---->------->------>---Light--->------>------>----[X]---->------->------>---Light--->------>------>

Backscattering (-) includes drastic angle changes on the direction the light travels, almost back towards the source (like a "U-Turn"); imagine you're on a holiday trip and already 100 miles out, and then you remember: Oh sh...ame, the flattening iron... and scatter back home.

Lightsource............................................"Scatterer"

[O] ---->------->------>---Light--->------>------>----[X]

<--------<-----<----<-------<------<---Light---<-------[X]

The reason for your test results could rely on the settings in the "Volume" part of the shader. I'm currently trying to find out, how exactly the shader works in that field. Compared to real-world data, the values for the "Scattering" function seems to be in the green (at least in the 500nm wavelength range), but those of the "Transmission" function seem to be too low, allowing the light pass deeper into (or even through) the volume than it should. At a certain point, light that isn't backscattered should have to die (being absorbed) to prevent it from traveling further through. Since the documentation on that is a "bit thin" (mildly put), it's a bit tricky.

That's interesting. The value I suggested was indicated in some papers about skin rendering. It's seems that they prefer, for whatever reason, the 1.5 there. If you could name some of your sources or have any links to at hand, I'd really appreciate it.

Yeah, that would be 0.0004 / 0.0006 mm, seems to be a bit thin. "Top Coat Thin Film" is thickness. In MDL, Wavelengths are defined by the RGB color values. Chapter 6.11 on page 33 (41 of the PDF) of the MDL language specification, version 1.2 explains about the color type. If you want to understand the shader, you may want to peek into that. But be careful.... it's written in nerd. laugh

edited September 2015
    Szark said:

Has anyone tried top coat thickness yet as when I try these recommended settings I get some weird an wonderful colours?

Uh, yeah, sorry, my fault. Mea culpa. blush

I forgot to include, that you'd have to turn down the glossy weight of the base layer, if you use the top coat thin film to mimic the sebum layer. skin shininess is the result of light being reflected mostly by this one, so if you still have your glossy on at your default settings, you naturally get about the double shiny. A glossy layer really doesn't exist in real-world. 

But you shouldn't get any colorations there. If you've the Top Coat Color at default 1.0, 1.0, 1.0. To get the most of it, the different values of refraction index, roughness and the settings in the Volume part would have to go hand in hand. Wrong values will break the balance and the more they're off, the scrappier the result. The Iray Uber is fine for doing all things shiny, car paint, metals, plastic, even matte cloth. But to mimic the complexity of that crazy weird invention named skin... a friend of mine would put it like: it's s...ub-optimal to do that.

Arnold C. said:

The reason for your test results could rely on the settings in the "Volume" part of the shader. I'm currently trying to find out, how exactly the shader works in that field.

As we've been chatting in the other thread, there may be some value in using the nVidia wax shader on a shell layer. That shader is very simple and only contains only a single node with the terms for volumetrics -- what the SSS adjustments are doing in the IrayUber shader. Because there are only a few lines, it's easy enough to alter the shader code and try different things. It lacks all the other nodes for a skin, so it has to be applied to a shell.

It all comes down to dealing with the same MDL terms -- transmittance and scattering distances, colors, tints, IORs -- but IrayUber is almost impenetrable as a deconstructible example to modify. Building up from the nVidia examples, it should be possible to eventually construct the perfect skin shader, using layers and maps that mimic the layers of actual skin, and how they interact. How much time did you give me -- 25 hours? I think I just slept through 8 of 'em already!

Arnold C. said:
    Szark said:

Uh, yeah, sorry, my fault. Mea culpa. blush

I forgot to include, that you'd have to turn down the glossy weight of the base layer, if you use the top coat thin film to mimic the sebum layer. skin shininess is the result of light being reflected mostly by this one, so if you still have your glossy on at your default settings, you naturally get about the double shiny. A glossy layer really doesn't exist in real-world. 

But you shouldn't get any colorations there. If you've the Top Coat Color at default 1.0, 1.0, 1.0. To get the most of it, the different values of refraction index, roughness and the settings in the Volume part would have to go hand in hand. Wrong values will break the balance and the more they're off, the scrappier the result. The Iray Uber is fine for doing all things shiny, car paint, metals, plastic, even matte cloth. But to mimic the complexity of that crazy weird invention named skin... a friend of mine would put it like: it's s...ub-optimal to do that.

Yeah if I use the Top coat for anything I normally have the gloss weight at 0.00 or at least 0.10 with the roughness at 1.00 and let the top coat do the work. SO what you are saying the Top Coat Thickness colour comes from A; the thickness (nm), B; the IOR and C; the SSS colour. See this is why I don't like doing human figures as I am also disappointed in the look of the mesh and surfaces. I suppose I just want too much for hobbyist tools. I much prefer buildings, landscapes and wildlife. Oh yeah I generally keep the TC white and just use IOR and no thickness.

The reason I like using TC thickness is that the backlighting will travel forward over curved edges much more than without a thickness added. At 200NM I get this http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/85694 any thicker than that I get some funky colours happening.

As for sebum IOR and wavelength I just did a Google search and flicked though about a dozen sites and most said 400 - 600 nm and with an IOR of 1.46 - 1.48. I can't read NERDish, I can only deal with plain English due to my lack of formal education. It might as well be in French. :)

Thanks for the SSS direction info, I can follow that nicely. LOL

well I set up the Base film to 75nm thick with an IOR of 1.41, set Gloss to 0.20 (no map), Colour 54,54,54 (no map) and Scatter and Transmit. Then Top Coat to 1500nm with IOR of 1.50 and I don't get the funcky colours anymore. I also used a lightened Spec map, slightly blurred inthe top coat weigth at 1.00 to give the sebum layer some variation.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited September 2015

I'm doing some test renders in Iray, and I see some gradation on the Park T Shirt.  It renders smoothly in 3delight, but I like how the character skin looks in Iray better in this instance.

Is there a setting I need to adjust to fix this?  I've tried adding smoothing iterations and converting to Iray Uber Base.

parktshirt.png
    501 x 740 - 594K
    Post edited by daveleitz on

After more testing I found Base Layer Thickness has no effect on the Top Coat colour when TC thickness is used. However if I use a vale of 22000 nm for the TC thickness and set the IOR to 1.46 I get a yellowish hue to the rim of light on the skin when the backlight is used. I would think that this is what is need as the light scattered is a yellow hue in reality.

daveleitz said:

I'm doing some test renders in Iray, and I see some gradation on the Park T Shirt.  It renders smoothly in 3delight, but I like how the character skin looks in Iray better in this instance.

Is there a setting I need to adjust to fix this?  I've tried adding smoothing iterations and converting to Iray Uber Base.

have you tied adding Sub-D to the shirt, same menu as the smotthing modifier.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited September 2015
    Szark said:
    daveleitz said:

have you tied adding Sub-D to the shirt, same menu as the smotthing modifier.

Yes, I did that, too.  Took it up to +3 and saw the exact same thing.

Edit: just to add that I'm using the default Iray environment hdr and one spot light.

Post edited by daveleitz on

Well not having the shirt myself my advice will be hit and miss. Is there a displacement map, are you converting it to Iray or letting DS do an auto convert.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited September 2015

Be sure you've changed the subd on the resolution, not displacement. Also make sure you aren't changing subd while it's toggled to Basic resolution. (I've done this many times)

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Well, the solution I found was to use a different HDR with a more even light source.  I noticed this artifacting on another render without an HDR but with spot lights only.  Along the transition from light to shadow there was an abrupt transition in a couple of places as if there was a hard edge on the character's skin.  I fixed it in post, but then I'm seeing something similar again and wondering if there's a solution.  Again, I've added levels of subdivision (long time Blender user, so I understand subdivision), and that doesn't seem to affect how the renderer is handling the curvature of rounded objects.

daveleitz said:

Well, the solution I found was to use a different HDR with a more even light source.  I noticed this artifacting on another render without an HDR but with spot lights only.  Along the transition from light to shadow there was an abrupt transition in a couple of places as if there was a hard edge on the character's skin. 

Point lights can leave hard shadows, and this may be the issue you're dealing with. You can soften the shadows when using spot lights by changing the emitter shape from Point, to either Disc or Rectangle. You can then adjust Width and Height. Values are in centimeters. An emitter 30x30cm will start to soften the lighting to much more realistic results, and you can increase from there. Iray will render a little more slowly now with smoother shadows, but that's the tradeoff of a more pleasing render.

FWIW, all unbiased renderers suffer from this. Look up 'shadow terminator artifact' for more details (assuming this is the cause, but it certainly looks like from your picture).

• Tobor said:

As we've been chatting in the other thread, there may be some value in using the nVidia wax shader on a shell layer. That shader is very simple and only contains only a single node with the terms for volumetrics -- what the SSS adjustments are doing in the IrayUber shader. Because there are only a few lines, it's easy enough to alter the shader code and try different things. It lacks all the other nodes for a skin, so it has to be applied to a shell.

It all comes down to dealing with the same MDL terms -- transmittance and scattering distances, colors, tints, IORs -- but IrayUber is almost impenetrable as a deconstructible example to modify. Building up from the nVidia examples, it should be possible to eventually construct the perfect skin shader, using layers and maps that mimic the layers of actual skin, and how they interact. How much time did you give me -- 25 hours? I think I just slept through 8 of 'em already!

I guess you refering to the "colored_wax" MDL? Thanks, that's been a very good advice. Compairing the shader preset with a new setup in the Shader Mixer gave me the answer to the question at what scale the Measurement Distances in Studio are. Where the MDL uses a value of 0.02 (m) for the distance_scale (the default scale for the coefficients in MDL is meter), the shader preset uses a value of 2.0 at that place. That would mean, that they most likely adapted their renderer plugin to the default Studio world scale of 1 cm per unit.

The formulas for the coefficient calculations but give me a (new) headache: the one for the absorption coefficient in DAZ's IrayUber and the one in the NVIDIA MDL example are absolutely identical, but those for the scattering coefficient differ much:

DAZ3D: Scattering Coefficient = SSS Amount / SSS Measurement Distance

NVIDIA: Scattering Coefficient = log(SSS Amount) / (-1 * SSS Measurement Distance)

I'm sure you'll notice the differences. I Agree on your thoughts regarding the IrayUber, the risk of FUBAR something in it is too large, better build up a specialized shader like that from scratch. You are unburdened, I thought we already came to the conclusion that you didn't meant to volunteersmiley

Szark said:

As for sebum IOR and wavelength I just did a Google search and flicked though about a dozen sites and most said 400 - 600 nm and with an IOR of 1.46 - 1.48. I can't read NERDish, I can only deal with plain English due to my lack of formal education. It might as well be in French. :)

Thanks for the SSS direction info, I can follow that nicely. LOL

I fear you confuse spectral wavelength and linear measure here. The use of the nanometer scale for the Thin Film is a bit unfortunate, IMO better it would have been set to Studio's default world scale of 1 cm. Less confusing. The 400 - 600 nm in your case is the range of the wavelegths the IOR is measured over at. 400 nm = IOR 1.46, 600 nm = IOR 1.48. The most annoying thing for me is that some of them are that insteady and even dare to change over the visible spectrum of light (ranging from 380 to 750 nm wavelength) making it hard to decide which one to pick. Your plain English sounds in fact wery well for me.wink And in case of French, well, I can understand only a few phrases, like the refrain of a pop song I can't and won't utter here. laugh

Yes NM very confusing I asked a while back if this NM scale was thickness or wavelength and never got an answer. But I don't dwell on the past.

My friend looked at the MDL coding of the Uber Iray Shader and came to the conclusion that it isn't that physically based as I thought it would be. I am a bit disappointed about that. (yes you did mention something along those terms) but again a cheat. I am used to cheating in 3DL.

Anyways here is what I came up with. I dropped the Transluceny Weight maps. I was using (DT's SSS maps for V5) and under the left armpit you can see the SSS happening, maybe too much which wasn't happening with the maps in place. ;) SSS direction in the negative. Gloss layer almost nothing and TC weight driven by very lightened and adjusted Spec maps.  TC thickness 2200 and an IOR of 1.46.

nicS.jpg
    1158 x 1500 - 1M
    Szark said:

Yes NM very confusing I asked a while back if this NM scale was thickness or wavelength and never got an answer.

Well, let's look it skientificerly. The thickness of a single human cell is vastly larger than the wavelength of any visible light. If the average size is 30-50 micrometers, that's 30,000 to 50,000 nanometers. If the value is in nanometers thickness, it's way too small to affect a proper change, and that's just the thickness of a single cell. So, assuming any semblance with physically-based structures, the value is more likely to be nanometers of light wavelength.

edited September 2015
    Szark said:

Yes NM very confusing I asked a while back if this NM scale was thickness or wavelength and never got an answer. But I don't dwell on the past.

My friend looked at the MDL coding of the Uber Iray Shader and came to the conclusion that it isn't that physically based as I thought it would be. I am a bit disappointed about that. (yes you did mention something along those terms) but again a cheat. I am used to cheating in 3DL.

Anyways here is what I came up with. I dropped the Transluceny Weight maps. I was using (DT's SSS maps for V5) and under the left armpit you can see the SSS happening, maybe too much which wasn't happening with the maps in place. ;) SSS direction in the negative. Gloss layer almost nothing and TC weight driven by very lightened and adjusted Spec maps.  TC thickness 2200 and an IOR of 1.46.

Arnold C. said:

Yeah, that would be 0.0004 / 0.0006 mm, seems to be a bit thin. "Top Coat Thin Film" is thickness. In MDL, Wavelengths are defined by the RGB color values. 

wink But this one may have been buried under my other wall-of-text. blush

Yes, me too. I hoped that the era of cheating would finally wold be put to an end, at least regarding all-things-Iray. Sure, here and there NVIDIA might use a simplified way to get to a specific result, based on technological restrictions. But as the advertise their product like:

Measured Materials with MDL and Iray (taken from their GPU Technology Conference presentation)

- Iray vision: physically based rendering for maximum realism

- Degree of realism depends on input data

- MDL input is physically plausible by design – but in the end it’s up to the artist how well it relates to the real world

- Ideally: have measurements of the material and use that directly

I expect, that I can put in my measured data and it will do the best it can to deliver a realistic looking result. At this place, a big thanks to Tobor, who found it. yes

The other drawback on our new toy is, that the texture maps designed for 3Delight are s...ub-optimal in a PBR. This need ones that meet the requirements and restrictions for it.

Looks good for a starter so far. What would improve the look of the skin, would be a glossmap that will take into account, that the pores of the skin wouldn't reflect at the same strength the rest of the skin does.

Yes good point on 3DL optimised maps. I have read many articles and posts here saying the same thing, hence me adjusting spec maps myself. Not prefect but I am getting better results quicker than I did using Uber Surface 2 in 3DL. :)

edited September 2015

Maybe you can make out something of this Tutorial: PBR Texture Conversion for your adjustments. Me personally, I find the note "DAZ Studio Iray Material Presets" could be a little bit misleading.

For me, to be fully compatible, it's not the fancy surface values alone, it is the package in it's completeness. Which would include decent PBR-compatible textures, too. Though this note currently could be seen as an indication of getting something "halfbaked", it's a bit unfair towards artists, whose creations are already fully Iray compatible out of the box like this one f.e. Products which are already up to PBR standards and so fully Iray-compatible should include a note they are. I guess you can imagine, how disappointed I was to see, that even the brandnew Generation 7 figures are shipped only with the standard 3Delight-compatible stuff.

It's like selling an engine, which needs 102 octane gasoline to run properly, but only offer 91 octane one to run it (first I wanted to say "diesel", but I found that would be sound too harsh). Oops!