Show Us Your Iray Renders

Comments

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Hello!

This is my first try with Iray. Render time was 12 minutes in CPU mode with a Intel Core i7 @3.4 Ghz, which is pretty ok.
    No postwork here!

And I have a question. The floor is a simple white plane with reflection set to 100%. But as you can see, there are hardly and reflectios visible. So, how do you make a surface reflective with Iray?

model.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 260K
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Glossy weight AND the glossy slider both need to be set high.

Thanks, Ram! And yes, I did mean literally hot, with all four cards running it gets to 80 degrees in here in about twenty minutes. I let that one run over an hour at 2000x33something and then did a blur for the fireflies.

I actually played with the ISO a bit on that one, and did some google searching for info about the three pillars of photography, and it sure does make a difference. No more postworking brightness and contrast on every render! Methinks I need to do another tutorial.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited March 2015

Jimbow said:
    Interesting iray tip from büro bewegt:

Quicktip: rendering even faster in iray
    http://buerobewegt.com/quicktip-rendering-even-faster-in-iray/

From 20 minutes to 3 minutes for the same apparent quality in one case.

One option we found is you can render at twice the intended size, for less time, and reducing using resampling, like in Photoshop or even IRFanview, the image to the intended size will eliminate most of the noise.

LOL. Never mind, same technique. LOL.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

Interestingly, I found that a good technique to use even in 3Delight, because it helps capture details that otherwise get lost if you do 1:1 render size/final size.

edited December 1969

Interestingly, I found that a good technique to use even in 3Delight, because it helps capture details that otherwise get lost if you do 1:1 render size/final size.
    The difference is that, unlike 3delight, Iray does not drastically increase your render times.
    edited March 2015

Same, I routinely do that with promos! Business as usual. ;)

But yes, we'll need to change settings when doing that in Iray.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330
    edited December 1969

The Sponza Atrium model has oftern been used in benchmark test to see how light falls into the shadows in real time game engines. Figured I'd see how Iray handles it.

renderto671iterations-54min-85percent_copy.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 513K
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Just tried a render with one of Dimension Theorys's HDR domes.

Added the Iray shaders to car body, glass and tyres.

Roland_Iray.jpg
    776 x 600 - 437K
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited March 2015

I redid the picture of the metal woman and snake I posted yesterday with a longer render time. Set the max to 8 hours, and let it go overnight, and it made it to 90% (previously 73% at 2 hrs). Not an enormous visual difference, but is less noisy. (Also tweaked DOF) I put it in the gallery here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/60686/

Post edited by Storypilot on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

One option we found is you can render at twice the intended size, for less time, and reducing using resampling, like in Photoshop or even IRFanview, the image to the intended size will eliminate most of the noise.

Do you have to turn off or change a value of some kind when doing this (changing render quality or something)?

edited December 1969

Do you have to turn off or change a value of some kind when doing this (changing render quality or something)? If you wish, or just decide when it looks good enough.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

Um, what value then? ;) Samples, Quality, or just render as normal and stop it sooner?

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

So far I have seen some nice renders, sadly however the great majority are outside renders with sunlight.

How does it perform on inside renders, how easy is it?
    How does it perform on nighttime, cloudy, frosty, etc?

edited December 1969

Um, what value then? ;) Samples, Quality, or just render as normal and stop it sooner?
    Any or all of the above. LOL

Much depends on what you need. If your primary need is speed, change the time value. :) If 75% is good enough, then change the convergence value. If you want no more than a specific number of iterations, because in your experience that is enough, then change the iterations.

Unfortunately what is "good enough." is highly subjective. Only you know what you really want. LOL.

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Most of all, are we going to have to replace all the shaders we gathered throughout the DS4 progress?

edited December 1969

scatha said:
    So far I have seen some nice renders, sadly however the great majority are outside renders with sunlight. Likely because that is the default render setting.

Setting up lights is just how you would expect to set up lights in an interior in the real world.

You don't have to add lights to fake Global illumination, or use Ambient Occlusion and get the distance correct.

You don't have to guess at values for soft shadows, just use real world light values and sizes.

Lighting is significantly easier to set up, than it is in a biased render engine.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

scatha said:
    So far I have seen some nice renders, sadly however the great majority are outside renders with sunlight. Likely because that is the default render setting.

Setting up lights is just how you would expect to set up lights in an interior in the real world.

You don't have to add lights to fake Global illumination, or use Ambient Occlusion and get the distance correct.

You don't have to guess at values for soft shadows, just use real world light values and sizes.

Lighting is significantly easier to set up, than it is in a biased render engine. Agreed, you just have to crank up the Film ISO, allot. Or the render will be Black.

PS, my renders are inside, using flat area lights and Photometric ones... as I dig in this thread for my posts. (EDIT) mind you I had cranked the lights way up, till it looked like that in 3delight... before discovering the default Film ISO thing was way off for inside.
    ISO comparison
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/780149/

just cranked lights
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/780081/
    etc

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

scatha said:
    Most of all, are we going to have to replace all the shaders we gathered throughout the DS4 progress?

No, you still have the option to use them in 3Delight.

Kat

edited March 2015

scatha said:

No, you still have the option to use them in 3Delight.

Katsame, That polished Hematite floor in my test chamber (PS free mat for that, and the color cube)... I didn't touch that, or the figures, or much of anything. (EDIT) just the mirror ball, and the lights.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited March 2015

I was pleased that at least some of the gummy/plastic shader pack I got seem to work fine in Iray.

Metal/woods pack less so, but I have a lot of helpful maps that can possibly mix well with presets.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Here is another one. Render time was about 25 minutes (CPU mode, Intel Core I7 @ 3.4 Ghz).

There is absolutely no postwork in it. The background was inserted as backdrop in DAZ Studio and the light effect is Iray´s Bloom Filter. The Bloom Filter is really nice, I just have to play more with the settings.

Oh, and there is only one light source in this image, coming from the left side. The light you see on the right side of the figure (looking like a back light) is not a light source! I simply placed a vertical plane next to the figure, on the right side, just out of the camera view. And this plane bounces the light back to the figure.
    And that is no trick at all, it is just the nature of light. It bounces back from surfaces. And Iray respects that nature, because it is a PB render engine. And that´s why you need much less lights with these render engines (Iray, Luxrender, Octane,...) compared to 3Delight.

3.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 321K
  • Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited March 2015

A quick(ish) render - took about 15 minutes. I wanted to set up some objects replicating a lightbox like I've used in real world photography. So it's using the following:

- 2 photometric spots with default settings & shadows on, one on each side shining through a semi-opaque surface
    - I used tone mapping to adjust the brightness: shutter speed 72, Fstop 2, white point 0.77
    - Environment mode: Scene only

I can't seem to work out how to remove all the noise though. Iv'e set Noise Filter Enable to On. The max samples was set to 7000 and the rendering quality 20.0 (by mistake! I meant to set it to 2).

Can anyone advise how to best remove noise? Noise degrain filtering was 0 so maybe I should have set that ...?
    Also I was trying to add a colour tint to the glass without success.

Iray_test.jpg
    500 x 583 - 99K
    Post edited by Eva1 on
  • MavroshMavrosh Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

I wonder.... how do you people shader eyes, especially the surface? Because mine is always way too reflective and I cannot get the look right... :)

edited December 1969

Eva1 said:
    A quick(ish) render - took about 15 minutes. I wanted to set up some objects replicating a lightbox like I've used in real world photography. So it's using the following:

- 2 photometric spots with default settings & shadows on, one on each side shining through a semi-opaque surface
    - I used tone mapping to adjust the brightness: shutter speed 72, Fstop 2, white point 0.77

I can't seem to work out how to remove all the noise though. Iv'e set Noise Filter Enable to On. The max samples was set to 7000 and the rendering quality 20.0 (by mistake! I meant to set it to 2).

Can anyone advise how to best remove noise? Noise degrain filtering was 0 so maybe I should have set that ...?

Let it render for considerably longer, or render the same amount of time at a larger size and then shrink it to the original size.

• PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited March 2015

Michael 6 HD. I'm very happy with the results. To the point of another poster about indoor scenes. This is made with two mesh lights and one reflector and uses the scene lights only.

M6_Test.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 187K
    Post edited by PulpArtst on
    edited December 1969

Mavrosh said:
    I wonder.... how do you people shader eyes, especially the surface? Because mine is always way too reflective and I cannot get the look right... :)

Set the reflection layer to cutout opacity 0 to just get rid of it. It's a part that does not exist in the real eye and was originally meant to put fakey transmap reflections there.

I've been experimenting with also setting the other eye parts (sclera, cornea, iris) to specular/glossiness instead of metallicity/roughness.

• MavroshMavrosh Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

Mavrosh said:

Set the reflection layer to cutout opacity 0 to just get rid of it. It's a part that does not exist in the real eye and was originally meant to put fakey transmap reflections there.

I've been experimenting with also setting the other eye parts (sclera, cornea, iris) to specular/glossiness instead of metallicity/roughness.

Thank you! I just realized how dumb my question actually was, hahaha! ;)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    HUH! I'd been rendering at higher resolutions and cutting down for a while, mostly because it allows postwork at the high resolution which makes editing fiddly details easier, before downsampling. I hadn't even thought of applying it to Iray, as I was afraid it would increase render time, but of course it doesn't if I'm going for the lower eventual resolution, and terminate it early.

Funny thing about film ISO; it's one of the things I fought with for years with cameras. I hated how much grain ISO 1600 film had, but it was the only way to take photos of my gaming group, because the rooms we were in were always dark. Now, of course, that same knowledge applies to these images... If it's dark, bump up your film type.

Does Iray embed the tone settings in the EXIF-or-equivalent of the resultant image?

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Eva1 said:

Let it render for considerably longer, or render the same amount of time at a larger size and then shrink it to the original size.Slight word of caution about shrinking down images. It involves filters, and some are better then others, tho they are all less good at any thing other then round numbers 1/2, 1/4, etc. shrinking an image to say 2/3 is going to not look as good as reducing it in half.

As for tinting the glass, I don't know. I wish I did.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    HUH! I'd been rendering at higher resolutions and cutting down for a while, mostly because it allows postwork at the high resolution which makes editing fiddly details easier, before downsampling. I hadn't even thought of applying it to Iray, as I was afraid it would increase render time, but of course it doesn't if I'm going for the lower eventual resolution, and terminate it early.

Funny thing about film ISO; it's one of the things I fought with for years with cameras. I hated how much grain ISO 1600 film had, but it was the only way to take photos of my gaming group, because the rooms we were in were always dark. Now, of course, that same knowledge applies to these images... If it's dark, bump up your film type.

Does Iray embed the tone settings in the EXIF-or-equivalent of the resultant image?

-- Morgan

There is one nice thing about digital ISO1600 film...no grain ;-)

One of my professional photographer friends explained that problem was due to the particle size used when making the film and without going through elaborate processes 800 was the best you could usually make, using the tech at the time. There were some special order (read very expensive) 1600 films available with less grain. 1600 was never really a 'mainstream' film, anyway.

This discussion has been closed.