DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Quick and simple test. 35 seconds on a GTX660. Light source HDRI.

Beach_hut1.jpg
    654 x 850 - 265K
  • MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    I have a question. When I do the IPR preview in the Aux Viewport, it appears to look more like my 3Delight rendering. The Iray rendering doesn't look anything like the IPR preview. Is it supposed to be that way?

Make sure the Aux Viewport is set to Iray, it's set separately from the main viewport.

Okay. Another question then...

When I have Iray selected as my main renderer, the IPR is disabled in the Aux Viewport. I can't hit the play option no matter what preview option I choose.

Is that normal?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    Thanks, Cjones! That's cool.

Gogger: Well, it wouldn't even render if I made the set invisible. I suspect memory issues. (I think Stonemason's stuff tends to be HD and incredibly detailed, whereas other stuff I'm working on isn't quite so much)

I've lost track - somewhere in one of these threads (I think it was the Iray render thread) I posted a scene from Stonemason's new set lit with just the two overhead lights set as emitters. IIRC, I had to crank them both up around 10 million to get the image to render.

(Note to Stonemason: you need more light fixtures! :-) )

In any case, my 4 GB gpu card never got past 1.5 GB used - and it drives two 1920 X 1080 monitors as well. In any case, if your render shows as black try cranking the lights up to ludicrous levels. If the render is still black, there is something blocking the light. Instead of more light fixtures, you could try faster film. (Tone mapper.) :)

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Here's a first go at using Emissive shaders.
    Scene lit with only 2 spheres. Took 2Hrs on a GTX 750 Ti 4Gig.
    I'm still having trouble trying to figure out where maps go
    from Ddo I have Diffuse Gloss and Specular

Iray-2Hrs.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 420K
    edited March 2015

MacSavers said:
    MacSavers said:
    I have a question. When I do the IPR preview in the Aux Viewport, it appears to look more like my 3Delight rendering. The Iray rendering doesn't look anything like the IPR preview. Is it supposed to be that way?

Make sure the Aux Viewport is set to Iray, it's set separately from the main viewport.

Okay. Another question then...

When I have Iray selected as my main renderer, the IPR is disabled in the Aux Viewport. I can't hit the play option no matter what preview option I choose.

Is that normal?If you select Iray in a viewport, to include the AUX viewport it is a drawstyle, which means it works mostly like Texture shaded, and is always in "play" mode. I do not recommend that you have both the main and the Aux viewport, both in Iray mode.

Yes, that is normal, and it is designed so you can have a small preview going while you work if you don't want to use your main viewport for Iray.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • GeneralDeeGeneralDee Posts: 131
    edited March 2015

I found out the hard way that 4.8 does affect my 4.7 install. One of my characters was destroyed. Some weird blocky bones showed up with the pelvic and thigh bone in both versions after installing 4.8. Luckily I saved pose and shape presets and applied to a new figure.

What are the first steps to doing an interior room shot? I got a crash last night on my first attempt with a scene I did in 4.7. What's different with lighting using Iray in interiors and what lights or lighting setup is best to use?

I keep getting the 4.7 documentation when following the link on the first page.

Post edited by GeneralDee on
    edited December 1969

Quick question. 4gigs of dedicated Ram? I didn't think that was an option on the 750. (NVIDIA control panel Help - about my hardware, second video card Ram entry.)

edited December 1969

Quick question. 4gigs of dedicated Ram? I didn't think that was an option on the 750. (NVIDIA control panel Help - about my hardware, second video card Ram entry.)
    Now you got me thinking I did a snapshot of the syetem info.
    Also does it go quicker if you use the CPU clicked on, as I had it off.
    I did pick up a NVIDIA Quadro 6000 Graphic Card 6GB 2nd hand
    for a fraction of the cost, so I hope that will make some difference when I get it.

Info.jpg
    568 x 520 - 170K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224
    edited December 1969

I'm confused about EV that is displayed in Tone Mapping. I thought a larger EV meant a brighter image, but when I increase the ISO number, the displayed EV number goes DOWN.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2015

If you select Iray in a viewport, to include the AUX viewport it is a drawstyle, which means it works mostly like Texture shaded, and is always in "play" mode. I do not recommend that you have both the main and the Aux viewport, both in Iray mode.

Yes, that is normal, and it is designed so you can have a small preview going while you work if you don't want to use your main viewport for Iray.

Spooky,

I have no interest in putting in any more feature requests for DS these days, but ......

wouldn't it be a helluva lot easier to have an Iray preview toggle on the toolbar, instead of faffing about in the drawstyle menu? I don't do test renders - I just preview the scene. But it's such a pain to be constantly in and out that menu.

Maybe you or some other kind soul can request this?

mac

PS I know I can use CTRL+0, but I still think a toggle icon would be better

Post edited by maclean on
    edited December 1969

maclean said:

If you select Iray in a viewport, to include the AUX viewport it is a drawstyle, which means it works mostly like Texture shaded, and is always in "play" mode. I do not recommend that you have both the main and the Aux viewport, both in Iray mode.

Spooky,

I have no interest in putting in any more feature requests for DS these days, but ......

wouldn't it be a helluva lot easier to have an Iray preview toggle on the toolbar, instead of faffing about in the drawstyle menu? I don't do test renders - I just preview the scene. But it's such a pain to be constantly in and out that menu.

Maybe you or some other kind soul can request this?

mac

PS I know I can use CTRL+0, but I still think a toggle icon would be betterOne of the reasons for a good graphics card is to get the settings right and just leave it in Iray Preview mode. I find that I only switch out of Iray mode is for small precise movements. You can also set the aux viewport in Iray mode instead, for a lesser card, or even just cpu mode.

edited December 1969

Now you got me thinking I did a snapshot of the syetem info.
    Also does it go quicker if you use the CPU clicked on, as I had it off.
    I did pick up a NVIDIA Quadro 6000 Graphic Card 6GB 2nd hand
    for a fraction of the cost, so I hope that will make some difference when I get it.

Remember mixing a Quadro card with a GeForce card can cause system instability, so don't keep the 750. LOL.

Note that 750, when it comes to Iray, or other CUDA use, only has 2GB of Ram. Given the scene, with my experience on a 2GB card, likely lost the card part way through the render, if not right from the beginning.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

One of the reasons for a good graphics card is to get the settings right and just leave it in Iray Preview mode. I find that I only switch out of Iray mode is for small precise movements. You can also set the aux viewport in Iray mode instead, for a lesser card, or even just cpu mode.

Yes, that's true. And when my Gtx 970 arrives on Monday, I'll likely do that. Still, a toggle wouldn't do any harm.

mac

edited December 1969

Good advice I will take the 750 out first.
    Thanks !

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,266
    edited December 1969

zwyt said:

There is no "lighting model" option when using Iray. If you raise the value in the Glossy Roughness property, this will make the surface rougher to the reflected light and will alleviate the "shiny" look. :)

Kat

Sure there is if you are using DAZ Studio default shader on the object. It is found under the surfaces tab not in the render settings. See the pic below.

Not every setting in a 3Delight shader will translate into Iray. Iray doesn't itself have the equivalent of "lighting model", which is essentially a switch between different shaders wrapped up together to make the DAZ Default Shader.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,266
    edited December 1969

Do anyone have the same problem as I do?

I deselected the CPU option for both interactive and Photoreal renders
    But when I hit the render button, the render kept throwing everything into CPU to do the render instead of my GPU.
    I checked my GPU and It has 0% load with normal temperature.

It happens occasionally and sometimes it quits from GPU render to CPU render without me doing anything.

I'm having 2 Titan Black with no SLI for render and one more for monitor, shouldnt have any problem rendering

Does that happen even with something simple, like a sphere primitive in splendid isolation? What is your operating system? If you are using a Mac, with Yosemite, I think you will need to download the Cuda drivers yourself.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,328
    edited December 1969

Quick trivia question: I use this product several times a week. Will it work with Iray?

http://www.daz3d.com/batch-render-for-daz-studio-4-and-rib

Cheers,

Alex.

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,694
    edited December 1969

A question, when will be released a version that don't need install manager? I haven't DSL line at my home, and can't download new DAZ for now.

edited December 1969

A question, when will be released a version that don't need install manager? I haven't DSL line at my home, and can't download new DAZ for now.
    Likely when DS Iradium is no longer in Beta, definitely not before.

Note you can download the zips using DIM, however you download the installer version, copy the files into the DIM download directory on the computer you want it on, and use DIM to install it. No internet connection is required to install.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited March 2015

zwyt said:

There is no "lighting model" option when using Iray. If you raise the value in the Glossy Roughness property, this will make the surface rougher to the reflected light and will alleviate the "shiny" look. :)

Kat

Sure there is if you are using DAZ Studio default shader on the object. It is found under the surfaces tab not in the render settings. See the pic below.

Sorry - I was referring to Iray Uber Surface settings. I should have been more specific. If you convert a surface to the Iray shader, which many are doing with skin etc....what I said is in fact correct. :)

Kat

Post edited by Katherine on
    edited March 2015

Quick trivia question: I use this product several times a week. Will it work with Iray?

Cheers,

Alex.

RIB is specifically a Renderman format. It stands for RenderMan Interface Bytestream. I doubt that is the part you are talking about though. LOL.

Now I haven't used it or tried it, but whether it works would depend on how it determines the Render settings. If it is just load a DUF scene file, render, load a DUF scene file, render, then it should work. Someone is going to have to try it to make sure. LOL.

In fact due to a bug fix in this version it should work better. :)

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Jon said:
    A quick note for our customers, so you can't say we didn't let you know before most of you went out and bought a new video card, DAZ is working with some distributors to provide you the stellar deals, and unique value to DAZ customers, on NVIDIA cards directly. I can't go into any details, and if you see a great deal on a different website, by all means, go for it, but if you want to wait to see what we think will be a better value that we can bring you in the near future to help you on the hardware end, its in the pipeline that we're pushing hard finalize.

I'm curious if this will include vendors from more than one country?

I've been looking for a new card and am considering the new Titan when it's released, but tend to be an AMD user; this could swing it though, when coupled with their much quieter running.

• Scorpio69Scorpio69 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Did a quick test render comparing Iray and 3Delight. I had the crank the lighting way up and the Iray scene was still pretty dark. the 3Delight scene was washed out. Also, the mirror did not reflect in the Iray scene.

NVIDIA_Iray_Test_Render_1_3Delight_Control.png
    1010 x 808 - 1M
    NVIDIA_Iray_Test_Render_1.png
    1010 x 808 - 944K
  • DamselDamsel Posts: 374
    edited December 1969

Did y'all pull the Iradium build? I tried to download it, and it shows Public Beta Content and scene builder. Even when I tried to download it with Install Manager, I don't see the actual Iradium app.

• Scorpio69Scorpio69 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

There were some download instructions on the Iradium page. They were pretty detailed. I followed them, and it created a sepreate link on my desk top. All my files are available in both 4.7 and 4.8.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,328
    edited December 1969

Cheers,

Alex.

RIB is specifically a Renderman format. It stands for RenderMan Interface Bytestream. I doubt that is the part you are talking about though. LOL.

Now I haven't used it or tried it, but whether it works would depend on how it determines the Render settings. If it is just load a DUF scene file, render, load a DUF scene file, render, then it should work. Someone is going to have to try it to make sure. LOL.

In fact due to a bug fix in this version it should work better. :)

Spooky,

Thanks for the quick response. I have no interest in RIB, all I do is feed it a list of DUFs and press the render button. I note there is an option on the product "use saved render settings", so it will hopefully work.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Jack238Jack238 Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

Did a quick test render comparing Iray and 3Delight. I had the crank the lighting way up and the Iray scene was still pretty dark. the 3Delight scene was washed out. Also, the mirror did not reflect in the Iray scene.

Hi, Did you use the IRay shaders on the Iray version? I used one of the IRay shaders for shiny metal on a car mirror and it worked good .

Jack

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,694
    edited December 1969

Likely when DS Iradium is no longer in Beta, definitely not before.

Note you can download the zips using DIM, however you download the installer version, copy the files into the DIM download directory on the computer you want it on, and use DIM to install it. No internet connection is required to install.

I must try, thank you for info.

edited December 1969

You can try throwing the polished Aluminum Shader on the Mirror. You might also try to increase your ISO setting and/or lower the F Stop on the Tone mapper.
  • UrdwolfUrdwolf Posts: 26
    edited December 1969

Okay, one absolute requirement of the final version of this is a '3Delight' option in the rendering options. If this is going to become the next version of DS I want it backwards compatible for rendering my old scenes and using my dearly bought collection of shaders etc. DAZ's policy of letting their customers down by upgrading their content out of compatibility has left me burnt too many times.

And a question; where is the promised documentation? Any link that I follow gets me info for Studio 4.7.

What I've seen of the new render engine is great but I've seen nothing about using the new lighting set-up and would a simple 'intensity' control for the built in light be too innovative! It would beat the hell out of guessing what you'd get for the time of day settings.

Sorry but I don't have time to sit around experimenting with settings. I know that this part of how beta testing works but there needs to be some concession to those of us that have busy jobs that get in the way of spending as much time as we like on our hobbies or all that we're going to get is a product that can only be used by 'power users'.