DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• DrPingyDrPingy Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

I test Iray with shader mixer. It is very complicated.
    I miss a switch in the brick yard that allows a selection between the options MDL and RSL.
    At the moment everything is messed up.
    I hope for the release version.

• Aurora_DreamAurora_Dream Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

I had 2 incidents so far:
    crash after opening and display issues . Started after switching view port styles.

Crash after adding layer to a layered texture and accept. System Os X 10.9.4

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2015

Really liking iRay so far. Once we get some standard profiles for lights and a few more base material templates this will be incredibly awesome.

For some reason I could not get decent results from the delivered Base Male iRay setup so tried my hand at my own. Used Weighted instead of PBR Metaliacity for the base mixing to get better spec (after playing around with the setting.) Also I found to add a layer to the sss mix, be sure to change the Base Color Effect to Scatter Transmit. I'm still fiddling with this - its only a first attempt. Also using a noise map for the top coat bump helps alot too.

Thin glass template for tear and eye surface. Clear glass for cornea. Want to work more on sclera and eye lashes.

Next I'm going to see what I can do with hair.

Very little post on this - added a background, a quick bloom effect and light blue filter to pop the skin spec. Render time: 11min 26sec

iRay.jpg
    997 x 1080 - 180K
    Post edited by bohemian3 on
  • GeneralDeeGeneralDee Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Has anyone successfully rendered using ISO and shutter speed values in Iray? DAZ crashed on me when I tried to increase the exposure in an interior scene. I see a lot of posts saying they had to crank up the lighting. Usually, increasing ISO and decreasing shutter speed plays a role when it comes to photoreal images. Gotta think as you are using a real camera.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited December 1969

Changing ISO and f stop worked fine for me, but I haven't touched shutter speed.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Hey, I'm away from my system, otherwise I'd test; is motion blur possible with this?

-- Morgan

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    I don't think I did to go from 4.6 to 4.7. As far as I can recall it's only the AoA lights that need reinstalling with each new build. Oh and the Starter Essentials, but they usually tell you on here if that needs anything doing.

CHEERS!

You shouldn't need to reinstall for the same type of install - production or beta - but you would need to install for the first production build and first beta on a given system.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

DrPingy said:
    I miss a switch in the brick yard that allows a selection between the options MDL and RSL.

You can, I believe, mix both in one shader - which will then work on surfaces regardless of which engine is being used.

• ScotsprincessScotsprincess Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Okay. I give up on the eyes. I have tried for more than two hours to be rid of the 'milky eye' and have decided that the best way to go is to not use the iray shader on the eye area. I can't really test it in photrealism but the standard iray renderer keeps producing a light milky appearance. I, even, tried the thin glass to no avail. And what is "abbe"? It's a dial in surfaces (at least for the eyes).

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,303
    edited March 2015

Yikes! I was loading a winter outdoor scene and my screen went blank, then Windows croaked and after two hours without a pulse I finally just hit the power. My system rarely, RARELY ever locks up. It was only after the fact of the act that I realized I had read something about Ivy's and plants that have lots and lots of trans...blah blah blah. I kinda deserved what I got - you can bet I will be paying much more attention to what I am loading in the future! I had a lot of different things going on - like always - in Photoshop, web browser tabs etc. The hard reboot was not kind, but luckily Photoshop and Firefox have pretty decent recovery features. Still lost some things I'd rather not have lost though. My fault. Despite all that I am still having fun exploring Iray!

Always remember to never forget, "Save, and Save OFTEN!"

Post edited by Gogger on
  • Scorpio69Scorpio69 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

My second attempt with Iray. It is better, but I'm still not happy with the lighting.

NVIDIA_Iray_Test_Render_1.png
    1010 x 808 - 1M
  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

This video sickleyield did will help those having problems with lighting, and getting a handle on Iray in general.

https://youtu.be/L5FZ5gS9v50

• MavroshMavrosh Posts: 111
    edited March 2015

Today I feel like I am giving up on this, to be honest. I so badly would like to show something as well but 2 and a half hours and only 24 % rendered with 165 iterations… I had one enviroment map, a point light and a mesh light and just one character, I wanted to do a closeup of his skin as I am so proud with how the skin shaders came out… but man, this is so damn slow if you do not have NVidia cards. I feel like my computer turned from a nice machine to a toaster over night. :-( Seriously, those render times on CPU are just crazy, especially if you just have one computer, such as me and cannot do other things on other machines then. So yeah, we can also use IRAY without NVidia.... if you have time and patience! ;)

My settings are not high, low samples, quality set to 2... by the way, and the render was only 1000 x 800 pixels, so by far not huge. I have no idea why it is sooooo slow on my end here. Too slow for me. I love what all of you people can produce, I really love it but for me, 3Delight it will be. I have no money to buy NVidia cards now for a rather new computer with actually two great cards inside which just happen to be AMD ones... and I will not have the money in the close future. I just hope that when IRAY is not as a beta any more, that DAZ will still support 3Delight. It is a good engine.

But of course I am jealous. I have a hand for IRAY as it seems because the results I had were pretty good. :-(

Keep on going though! Maybe a miracle happens and I win the lottery and then all you people have to help me to catch up with this. ;)

Post edited by Mavrosh on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited December 1969

Mavrosh: Keep in mind that size doesn't matter. Make it 4000 x 2400. You can shrink it down.

• MavroshMavrosh Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

Mavrosh: Keep in mind that size doesn't matter. Make it 4000 x 2400. You can shrink it down.

Thank you, I know. :-)
    I will still watch how all this develops and learn. :)

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Just a quick doodle to try out some materials and lights. Total render time 15 minutes using CPU plus two GPU (GTX 780ti and GTX 980). Scene used 804 Mb of vram. Lights are an HDR map on the dome and emitter for the ceiling lights.
    Ciao
    TD

Sector_B6_-_Iray_2b.png
    1174 x 881 - 2M
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

Very nice render thd!

Could you tell me what kind of HDR map you use? I have a ton of different 'global' light maps, some are the mirrored ball type, some are wide, and some are the 'unwrapped sphere' kind. I'm curious as to what type Iray likes best. Thanks!

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

With all the Iray hype, what about the new lights in 3delight, lol. Working threw migrating 4.7 lights to Iray compatible ones, I noticed a slight difference in levels.

All test chamber lights and UE2 off, except the three spot lights. same intensity levels, outer cone, location, etc. Interestingly, the Lumens settings on the Photometric lights do nothing in 3delight, just the intensity setting. I see room here for 3delight&Iray; compatible products using these.

So here is the test renders, straight from the render cache folder. I'm off to look at the Iray shade emitters in place of the omni uber aria lights in the test chamber.

Render_15_DzSpotLights.jpg
    640 x 480 - 192K
    Render_14_PhotoMetLights.jpg
    640 x 480 - 193K
  • Mortar MoppMortar Mopp Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

Appears that you will need an NVIDIA card
    Compatible cards listed here
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

This takes you to a CUDA programming course. No list of cards evident.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Gogger said:
    tippy toe ... tippy toe ...

Okay ... I have downloaded/installed this on my laptop and I like the program but my better video card which should work better with it is on my offline computer. Is it safe to simply manually install the beta on the offline computer WITHOUT it wreaking 4.6?

tia

I was afraid of this too and tried to install into another directory. Didn't work for me so I threw all caution to the wind and let it install where it wanted - it wanted to be with my previous install of 4.6 but has it's own directory , like this:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build

whereas my old DAZ is here:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4

Hope this helps.

Copy the DIM installer and the DS beta zip to your off-line machine, with the zip going in the DIM downloads folder, and run DIM. You don't need to be online to install with DIM.

... oh ... well guess what ... one does not have to install it. I couldn't find an installer on its own, but discovered it would run even from the desktop so I planted it where it should be if installed and it worketh fine :-)
    My offline has 8 cores and the N card so put G2F in some clothes with a hair - and used reflective shaders on the base ... used the Sun preset ... and hit the render button. Took over an hour but looks pretty good I think.

Then today I transferred over to the computer new drivers for the N card ... loaded G2M with clothes and hair, and a platform with a building frame ... did something but don't remember what with a couple of those dials ... used the Sun preset ... and oh yes, remembered this time to select "scene only" ... and this render happened in less than 4 minutes ;-)

I don't know why people say to uncheck CPU ... if I do that I'll get zippo of a render in "poof".
    CPU is checked and on the main computer, the N card is also checked.

Lumberjack_outfit.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

And the other image.

With_DS4_8.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

Appears that you will need an NVIDIA card
    Compatible cards listed here
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

This takes you to a CUDA programming course. No list of cards evident.

Don't know what happen try this
    https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

• DrPingyDrPingy Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

DrPingy said:

You can, I believe, mix both in one shader - which will then work on surfaces regardless of which engine is being used.

Yes, it is possible to build both in one shader. So you can render with Iray and 3dlight. Some nodes are for MDL and RSL, some special. But a tag in the brickyard would be helpful, which node are for MDL or RSL or for both.
    And I miss a mix node for MDL. For example I will mix 2 float values with a texdure.

• Sparkie ShockSparkie Shock Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Trying to use this new Beta right now. At the moment my renders are coming out with the same lighting intensities no matter what value I put in?? Is there any documentation that shows one how to actually use Iray?

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

It would be really really good if we had a GPU/CPU temp monitor in daz when running IRay renders, including for the NVidia IRay preview in viewport. Also buttons to pause and resume rendering, both the full render and the viewport. The NVidia IRay view seems to run infinite (I dont know its limits), which is fine, but the ability to pause/resume it would really be good to give the GPU a break once in a while, so that progress isn't lost as long as you don't modify the scene.

Other than that OMG I love this render engine! Daz has certainly leaped miles forward :cheese:

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:
    It would be really really good if we had a GPU/CPU temp monitor in daz when running IRay renders, including for the NVidia IRay preview in viewport. Also buttons to pause and resume rendering, both the full render and the viewport. The NVidia IRay view seems to run infinite (I dont know its limits), which is fine, but the ability to pause/resume it would really be good to give the GPU a break once in a while, so that progress isn't lost as long as you don't modify the scene.

Other than that OMG I love this render engine! Daz has certainly leaped miles forward :cheese:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ Can run in the background, with icons showing CPU temps. There are various GPU monitoring programs and Windows desktop gadgets, but I've not seen one yet that's quite as persistent but also out of the way.

Limits for rendering are in the Render Settings/Editor panel, under Progressive Rendering. The three to look for are Max samples, Max Time and Rendering Converged Ratio. Whichever of these three items is reached first, stops each render from continuing.

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited March 2015

scott004 said:
    Trying to use this new Beta right now. At the moment my renders are coming out with the same lighting intensities no matter what value I put in?? Is there any documentation that shows one how to actually use Iray?

I've read through what I can find and beyond technical descriptions of tools (not to be confused with functional descriptions -- "do this for this effect") I haven't seen anything of the sort. Most people seem to either be getting the hang of all the dials very quickly or getting lucky on the first try...a few of us are, as one person said, "cats looking at calculus." The biggest challenge seems to be using emitter lights, which, to me, seems the most useful for interior and night-time shots where the sun is not involved.

Meow. :P

I've still not looked at SickleYield's video, posted [somewhere within...see below!] this thread. Several people said it was very helpful, but I haven't felt like waiting for another download, the last day. I suppose I'll have to get around to it!

I have some training in photography, too; while it helps me understand those technical details for each item, it has not helped me put render settings together with lighting settings to create a pleasing image. I also can't find a simple opacity/transparency setting in the Iray Uber surfaces, which is very helpful for things like rocket engine glow...or to just hide part of an object. It's got all the more technical translucency and refraction settings related to transparency, though.

Post edited by VoltisArt on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Nice progress, guys!

I've done a video for those wishing to start out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5FZ5gS9v50&feature=youtu.be

That was a great video! Very informative. We use the same layout so once I'd aligned my tabs the way you had I knew where everything you were talking about was, that made things a lot easier to follow. It certainly makes me a little less reticent about trying Iray once the full version of DS hits.

Small side note, is there a limit to how many tabs you can have in that layout?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

nicstt said:
    A quick render - well sort of; I just dropped them in and clicked render as I was curious.

It was at 14% after 75 minutes, but pretty impressive. Now to figure out how to light the scene, as fortunately something in the scene worked. :D

That looks nice.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

bohemian3 said:
    Really liking iRay so far. Once we get some standard profiles for lights and a few more base material templates this will be incredibly awesome.

For some reason I could not get decent results from the delivered Base Male iRay setup so tried my hand at my own. Used Weighted instead of PBR Metaliacity for the base mixing to get better spec (after playing around with the setting.) Also I found to add a layer to the sss mix, be sure to change the Base Color Effect to Scatter Transmit. I'm still fiddling with this - its only a first attempt. Also using a noise map for the top coat bump helps alot too.

Thin glass template for tear and eye surface. Clear glass for cornea. Want to work more on sclera and eye lashes.

Next I'm going to see what I can do with hair.

Very little post on this - added a background, a quick bloom effect and light blue filter to pop the skin spec. Render time: 11min 26sec

Looking good!

CHEERS!