NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

i know skychaser contained a wearable where it preloads a figure - i just don't want it showing up in my People products. I only want people there.  

Khory said:

Ok girls.. Since neither of you took the logical rout of clicking the link and loading the product.. Skychaser preload does load a figure. One who happens to be wearing the suit. 

Jakiblue if you ONLY want the items associated with a single figure or item then you check "filter by context" at the bottom of the list. You need to have the object/figure that you want it filtered by selected in the scene.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2016

Rating: Recommend as regular office only. IMO definitely not a VIP office due to furniture and lack of diplomas. Chairs and desk are not executive quality. Bookcase is full of repetitive sets of books that remind me of outdated encyclopedias, but it does have a pile of papers/journals, has nice bookends,  and some knick-knacks. The couch IS MORPHABLE- very nice, and the coffee table has legs which have character. The desk has an inbox, a binder, a computer- quite a few props. Not sure if that planter in the bookcase has flattened leaves, may be the camera angle.

I just had another look at that Dean's Office product.  

First for what drove me NUTS (former full time university faculty, five years.) 

Deans and other faculty diplomas are not identical (these look too much the same), IMO those corner triangle things remind me of photo album picture holders on all of them.  On a diploma, the university is usually (not always) across the top or prominently displayed across the middle, with the institution logos taking the spotlight at the top of the page (Google: what PhD or Masters degrees look like). The institutions often are in a semi-arch, there is most often (not always) a SEAL, with two to four lines of signatures.  I  may have missed it, but I don't see any institutions of higher learning hanging on the wall.  His / her PhD and Masters would be something a Dean would definitely have mounted on the wall.  Your credentials are a big deal.

Dean's usually don't have Certificates, I had a double take at the CERTIFICATE OF PARTICIPATION (Perhaps that was a joke, I sure hope so.)  

The frames, although square and plain, are a possibility (many faculty had simple square frames. 

Next, the chair and desk. I am quite familiar with faculty offices, and a Dean's office. Although they vary, if you look up Dean's offices you'll see most are quite elaborate. (And don't be fooled, some of those images in Google are of the Executive Assistant's office, not the Dean's office. They were showing you the general area.)   IMO, that's not an executive chair.  That chair would be for an Administrative Assistant, and even the Executive Secretary has a nicer chair from what I've seen. That looks like a computer chair to me.

Deans' offices are prestigious, and that entire room frankly IMO looks more like a regular office. The desk, his chair, and visitor chairs just don't showcase success of higher management. This dude makes $76,000 (low end) to $110,000 or more.

I was disappointed with the bookcase. It looks like it is full of repetitive encyclopedias. There were too many sections of the same books, and hardly ANY regular books.The knick knacks were a nice touch. There was also that stack of paper/journals which did add to the variety.  Do note the bookends if you like Oriental items.  The ivy/plant on the top shelf is distorted, with severely flattened leaves. Maybe it's just the promo angle.

The coffee table had ornate legs and there are several props which make sense, also on his desk. The inbox is good, you get a computer, and the whiteboard on the wall allows you to postwork messages on it. It's nice to get blank items to customize. Note that couch is morphable (very nice!) and I do like the walls can be hidden for your camera angles. I also, for some reason, like the blinds on the windows, they do add to the "work" environment. 

So I recommend it for a typical office. Some universities, colleges,  or community colleges may have offices like this for a dean, not saying NONE do, but that just wasn't my first impression of it. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

I see what you mean. The office looks a little spartan. Thanks for taking a look with a critical eye. Maybe it is just the office of a regular guy named Dean. laugh

edited February 2016

Reality 4.2  Rating: Recommend. Only 1 day using it, and with the wonderful video tutorials, you can jump right in and make very decent renders.

I am still very much in the stage of, "What's this do? Ohhhhh...." but it's so wonderful to have someone who can make really good videos (Paolo) who understands completely where new users are going to have questions and what they want to use first. He also knows what we need to tweak to get the best results starting in the simplest manner. The Users Guide is AWESOME. Yesterday you saw my temple that I did following the video, and the (pretty flat) Merlin's Secret Garden that I was testing for lighting. Then I watched another video, on lighting, and with just that information from that one video, did Kendra below. Two mesh lights, one surround-IBL. 

What you will really like about Reality:  

It has the ability (which I didn't know yesterday) to tweak all those same things you have in Tone Mapping in Iray. Ah, I was in heaven when I found my ISO, lol. Then Paolo will also show you in a video how to make each light a separate one and not in the group, so you can change each one individually (including color) and the brightness, although using Tone Mapping is recommended to handle most of those tweaks. You will like being able to change the lighting WITHOUT PAUSING THE RENDER. This is the biggest difference to me than with Iray, and it's a BIGGIE. I was moving the ISO, F/Stop, and Shutter Speed sliders and seeing INSTANTLY the effects. Wow. 

There is also a brush where you can apply it to an area that may not be "coming in" as fast as the rest of it, aka, your dark areas, so that tells Reality to focus on that area. It didn't work really well for me though, her eyes did not speed up at all and still were very much dotted with white noise. I added a front mesh light (as you can see in her eyes, have to figure out how to do those so they aren't seen as much) and it took care of the problem. 

I have not worked with materials yet, am going through the videos and doing things I learn in those, trying not to jump ahead. So this is my third render with Reality, and the second one of the garden would have been totally different if I had known about the Tone Mapping section. That's what playing around is for though, you need to jump in and not take yourself too seriously, give yourself permission to just PLAY and learn. And now I can help you other beginners.

Reality is still on sale in the Best of 2015 sale. I'd say you will really love playing with it. Thumbs up! 

With only these videos, you will get a good feel for it. 

Reality 4.2 Users Guide

What's New In Reality 4.1 (Gives you a really good feel of the layout, etc)

Getting Started With Reality 4 (Studio Edition)  (The Temple I did yesterday, step by step. VERY good one to start with)

Reality 3 For Poser: Controlling Light While Rendering  (Ignore the Poser and the version, this is what REALLY teaches you about lights)

Be sure to click to enlarge, then click again and look at the skin details. This is Kendra. (She is dark skinned, African American)

kendra3LightsSIG.jpg
    900 x 1500 - 724K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    barbult said:

Don't forget to use PD Iray Shader Kit 1 to make your own Corvidae textures. Here I retextured every surface of the dress, wrap, and beads. I also switched to a different Christina Hair color and different Olympia 7 makeup.

barbut mentioned this recently and I added it to my wishlist - in Fastgrab today for those interested

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Nicely done Rgcincy! Great render =-)

Thanks! laugh

• barbult said:

I see what you mean. The office looks a little spartan. Thanks for taking a look with a critical eye. Maybe it is just the office of a regular guy named Dean. laugh

I think I need to get out more,  cause i laughed outloud to that. 

barbult said:

I think I need to get out more,  cause i laughed outloud to that. 

We'll go to lunch, 'cause I did too! 

So FirstBastion- any more new releases coming up soon? I couldn't believe how close together you released the last ones. I did pick up the tunnel and the hallway.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    RGcincy said:
    barbult said:

Don't forget to use PD Iray Shader Kit 1 to make your own Corvidae textures. Here I retextured every surface of the dress, wrap, and beads. I also switched to a different Christina Hair color and different Olympia 7 makeup.

barbut mentioned this recently and I added it to my wishlist - in Fastgrab today for those interested

Fastgrab! That's a super bargain. Get it if you love shaders and Iray.

• Novica said:

So FirstBastion- any more new releases coming up soon? I couldn't believe how close together you released the last ones. I did pick up the tunnel and the hallway.

I've have been trying to up the frequency a bit.  I try to get in atleast 2 a month.  But the Marketing department decides the release dates.   But January was a little odd as I started a little late after the holidays.  There's currently a few sets in PASS at various stages of the approval process. And they have to clear all those QA tests and approvals before marketing decides where to slot it into the schedule. The Highway should be coming soon.  Then the TalkShow.  Then the new Old Waterhole. Then there's an AfterSchool interior.  Though it maybe April before some of these get out.  Hard to say for sure,  with MarchMadness is just around the corner.

edited February 2016

Ooooh, the Talk Show!  Are you going to include someone from San Diego Zoo with an exotic animal wrapped around their neck? Just sayin...I always loved watching Johnny Carson, what a character.  My favorite episode was when he was leaning down into the playpen of the large cat and he said, "Look them in the eye, so they know you're not scared..."  What a classic!  OMGosh, I found it!  (This is really why  people come to this thread...)

Post edited by Novica on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    Novica said:

Sasje, your render looks like it should be on the cover of a sci-fi magazine! I love the sepia tones and his posture says so much! You did a beautiful job!

Thank you smiley

The render is done in Reality wink

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited February 2016

Invited Guest Contributer

This one is done in Iray

Used:

- Brown Bear Cub by AM https://www.daz3d.com/brown-bear-cub-by-am

- Look at my Hair FREE Player https://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair-free-player

Let it to work in Iray or Reality you need to do something with The obj buttton in the look at my hair free player I don’t know how to explain  that,  maybe another person can explain how to get it work in Iray or reality blush

bruine beer .jpg
    927 x 1200 - 662K
    Post edited by Sasje on
    edited February 2016

Heads up! Get your questions, comments, suggestions ready, because we're going to do a chat with Paolo Ciccone (Reality) on this thread. In the beginning, I'll be asking him some questions and also letting him tell us things he'd like to share, then we'll be opening it up for questions, comments, and suggestions. Paolo and I are coordinating the date and time, it will be an evening session. I've asked about doing it at 8pm this Friday, so folks on the West Coast will have time to get home from work and they can read up on the posts we've already done, and still have time to join in. We'll be live for at least an hour. Paolo is very excited to interact with all of you artists! I will let you know ASAP if this Friday is a go. 

Paolo's background is amazing. This article discusses his background, so you'll get a feel of what he's dabbled in.

Post edited by Novica on

Aw, the look on his face! Another winner gal! I haven't used LAMH in ages. I also have that other hair product, Garibaldi, and I haven't used it either. Come to think of it, have we EVER in three years of doing this thread ever had a Garibaldi Hair showcase done?

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    Novica said:

Heads up! Get your questions, comments, suggestions ready, because we're going to do a chat with Paolo Ciccone (Reality) on this thread. In the beginning, I'll be asking him some questions and also letting him tell us things he'd like to share, then we'll be opening it up for questions, comments, and suggestions. Paolo and I are coordinating the date and time, it will be an evening session. I've asked about doing it at 8pm this Friday, so folks on the West Coast will have time to get home from work and they can read up on the posts we've already done, and still have time to join in. We'll be live for at least an hour. Paolo is very excited to interact with all of you artists! I will let you know ASAP if this Friday is a go. 

Paolo's background is amazing. This article discusses his background, so you'll get a feel of what he's dabbled in.

This is awesome, I am looking forward to hearing (reading?) what he has to tell us!

• Ohh I love Reality. Haven't had much time to play with it since I bought it, due to a family emergency. Only done one render so far and doing one right now. 

I really like the way he does his videotutorials, very down to earth and beginner friendly.

I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to tell us. Thank you Novica for taking your time to arrange this :) 

Just one question though. 8pm Friday, what time zone is that ? 

I JUST finished chatting with Paolo, he needed it to be a tad bit earlier this Friday, so it will be 8pm EASTERN. I am creating a new Reality Art Studio thread and we will be doing it on there, so we can keep all things Reality on one thread as this one will be done soon and it could get buried. (Although we're up to 400,000 views on all 6 threads and the older threads still get 2,000- 4,000 views a month on average, I don't want people to go looking for the Reality stuff on the showcase thread. 

I'll go ahead and post what I have, check the main Art Studio page and you'll see the new thread.

I am running errands now, it's unbelievable- we had an EF3 and an EF1 tornado here last Monday. The TORCON value (from Weather Channel was a 3, then raised to a 4.)  We are at a TORCON 8, which means an EIGHTY percent chance of tornados within 50 miles of us, but the entire area is in it so that's bad. LOL- we might be in the outside perimeter of everyone else's 50 miles, there's no "center" to it.)  I've never seen a TORCON 8. This is going to be BAD. So going to go get the truck filled with gas, and anyone else in the path of this thing, you need to fill up your vehicles, get pet food, baby diapers, bottled water, anything else you need in case damage in your area is severe. Fill your prescriptions NOW. (that's another errand I'm running, for my mom.) 

Check the Art Studio page for the Reality thread.   :) It will be up in a minute or so.

Here's the Art Studio thread for Reality

Out the door, TTYL!

How interesting- a "very large, dangerous tornado" is coming onshore and I can see the lightening and hear the thunder from that storm. It's not clear whether it will stay on the ground long enough to get to us. Sadly, if it stays on the ground, it will hit Pensacola International Airport at 8:10pm. Check it out on Weather.com right now and see what's coming at us off the bay. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Stay safe!!!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

Wow. Be safe Novica and avoid those tornados.

• Stay safe Novica.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Be safe Novica!

Pop in when you can to update us - we're thinking of you. 

I've been through two cyclones - Yasi and Larry - and I know tornadoes are a different beast, but cylones are still terrifying so I can feel your worry. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

Novica reports she is ok but the tornado caused an internet/ cable outage and there is a lot of damage to the town where she lives not far away including some destroyed apartment complexes.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Thanks for letting us know.  Se relieved.  I saw the news reports, looks awful.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Just saw some of the news reports, so glad Novica is OK, but so sad to hear about the death and destruction the tornadoes have caused there and in the surrounding areas

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

So glad you are okay Novika and prayers to the families of those who didn't make it.

• I'm so happy to hear you're okey Novica. My heart goes out to those that wasn't as lucky.

This discussion has been closed.