NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    jakiblue said:

AH! I'm in 4.9

I installed it tonight cos I figured I'd better check it out instead of just complaining about it without even using it. LOL 

Novica said:

Are you in 4.8 or 4.9? I am 4.8

jakiblue I just installed 4.9 last night and finally got DIM up and running and set to where I want everything installed (haven't installed any products yet tho), but haven't tried the connect feature yet. It looks like you are so I was curious to know if you reinstalled your products with the connect feature or if they all showed up as installed via DIM.  I wasn't worried about custom categories as I didn't have very many, but I did want to test it out and can always go back to 4.8 if its not working as necessary. I have never tried smart content as it was too confusing so we will see how that goes, but its a little overwhelming looking at the 5100 items I need to isntall...lol

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858

Kharma- remember if you use Connect then DIM won't show/have them as installed. Connects go to a different file location. So you got your computer up and running? 

I'm VERY impressed. I've beem emailing back and forth with Paolo Ciccone for an hour, the creator of Reality. He's VERY fast to answer emails. (in the early hours of the morning here.) I'm still stuck, but he's trying to help.

Novica said:

Kharma- remember if you use Connect then DIM won't show/have them as installed. Connects go to a different file location. So you got your computer up and running? 

Oh ok so DIM will just show them as not downloaded yet?  YES! I got it up and running and fixmypcmike helped me over in the commons with getting DIM and Studio installed to my E: drive and DIM pointing to install to E also, he has so much patience, I don't know how he does it!  Now just to get connect files to go that way also if I decide to use it.  I went ahead with 4.9 as I figured why not since it's all new, but wow all those products to download and install...overwhelming to say the least and learning windows 10 on top of that. I am looking forward to testing out some renders this week sometime.

Yep- DIM won't show them as installed.  Let us know how blazingly fast your renders are- that's the fun part when you get a better computer! 

Paolo was on with me for two hours this morning in emails, and I got Reality installed and watching videos now. Going to be SO lost for awhile! It's 73 degrees and I should head out to the barn but I am going to do the videos instead. No rendering for me today.

Please let us know how Reality works for you, I have 4.2 and had no problems with it in 4.8 other than soooo slowww on my laptop, not sure how it will work in 4.9 but I will find out soon. Hope it all goes good for you :)

Oh I was looking for a review of the super shaders by Denki Gaka, did anyone try converting them to iray and what was the experience...I haven't purchased them but am thinking about it

edited February 2016

Keep in mind I don't know what I am doing yet, lol, but did you get the OpenCL on your laptop? (Not trying to confuse anyone, I found that in another site's forums so followed a link and got the driver from Intel. OpenCL is "technology that allows a program to use GPU (Graphic Processing Unit, the video card) to "execute instructions in parallel." With Reality, you can render a scene while working on another one, make changes while the scene is rendering, etc.  EDIT: 64 bit only. 

So you've used Reality for awhile?

Post edited by Novica on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Ok girls.. Since neither of you took the logical rout of clicking the link and loading the product.. Skychaser preload does load a figure. One who happens to be wearing the suit. 

Jakiblue if you ONLY want the items associated with a single figure or item then you check "filter by context" at the bottom of the list. You need to have the object/figure that you want it filtered by selected in the scene.

edited February 2016
    Khory said:

Ok girls.. Since neither of you took the logical rout of clicking the link and loading the product.. Skychaser preload does load a figure. One who happens to be wearing the suit. 

Jakiblue if you ONLY want the items associated with a single figure or item then you check "filter by context" at the bottom of the list. You need to have the object/figure that you want it filtered by selected in the scene.

Now now...(whine like a kid, stubbing toe in the ground, and leaving Jakiblue to fend for herself...) I did too say I had the figure in the suit...(can't remember for which one.) My focus was on why I have a different image than she does- why would 4.8 and 4.9 do different ones?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2016

Because the product shows the main promo from the product and the file shows the thumbnail from the individual file.

Edit to add.. In other words it does not have anything to do with the version but does have to do with where your looking.

Post edited by Khory on

Daz needs to hire you as a consultant. You know everything! (you and fixmypcmike, and richard...)

Novica said:

Keep in mind I don't know what I am doing yet, lol, but did you get the OpenCL on your laptop? (Not trying to confuse anyone, I found that in another site's forums so followed a link and got the driver from Intel. OpenCL is "technology that allows a program to use GPU (Graphic Processing Unit, the video card) to "execute instructions in parallel." With Reality, you can render a scene while working on another one, make changes while the scene is rendering, etc.  EDIT: 64 bit only. 

So you've used Reality for awhile?

I am sure I have Open CL, if I could figure out where to check for sure, but I have just played off and on with Reality because it was so slow I got frustrated with it

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,804
    Novica said:

Thanks Rich! The only one I didn't like....wait a minute, the last time I said I didn't like something...(but it evolved into Rabbicus, so that worked out very well)...anyway, that last gal looks kinda like an alien to me. I keep expecting to hear "We come in peace..."   The breasts on all of them seem to have quite a spread too (easily tweaked.)  You sure get a lot for your money with that product! 

Guess I could draw some antennae on her smiley

The one product I wish I had while I did those renders was Zev0's fit control. I have it for Genesis and G2 but not G3 yet - hard to keep up when the generations keep changing.

Kharma said:

I am sure I have Open CL, if I could figure out where to check for sure, but I have just played off and on with Reality because it was so slow I got frustrated with it

That would be on your laptop though, right? It doesn't embed in Reality, it's on the computer? So since you have a new computer, you'd have to reinstall the driver?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#win64 is where I got it from (there's the entire page, mine was windows 64 bit so that's the link I needed)  There was something about AMD vs Intel but I'm Intel, as I remember you were too?

And Rich- no. Leave the poor girl alone!!

Novica said:
    Kharma said:

That would be on your laptop though, right? It doesn't embed in Reality, it's on the computer? So since you have a new computer, you'd have to reinstall the driver?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#win64 is where I got it from (there's the entire page, mine was windows 64 bit so that's the link I needed)  There was something about AMD vs Intel but I'm Intel, as I remember you were too?

And Rich- no. Leave the poor girl alone!!

How did you know if you had it or needed to install it?  Where did you look?

edited February 2016

I liked the Corvidae dress that Novica and barbult rendered, so decided to test it out with some older shaders I have: Totally Bazaar 1 and Totally Bazaar 2. Base Genesis 2 with Joanie texture, Sultry hair, lit with Painter's Lights, backdrop by Novica.. Both images are Iray renders: the first with the Iray Uber Base applied and the second straight out of the box. Though made for 3DL, they rendered pretty well in Iray, and some tweaking could improve them further. There's a huge number of shaders in these two products, so lots of options.

CorvidaeDress_002.jpg
    640 x 800 - 623K
    CorvidaeDress_003.jpg
    720 x 1200 - 918K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

Hmmm, did you see a difference with Uberbase? The second one looks as good as the first one IMO. What do you think? Cool combinations!  I wonder what age Joanie is supposed to be. 

Kharma- I assumed because it was a new computer, it didn't have it. And if it did, it wouldn't install it. Since it's a driver I think it would say already installed/replace? The one I installed was "OpenCL™ Runtime 15.1 for Intel® Core™ and Intel® Xeon® Processors for Windows* (64-bit & 32-bit)"   I'm still following the video tutorial so don't know if it will show up or what to do. I'll let you know. :) 

Novica said:

Hmmm, did you see a difference with Uberbase? 

Not really, they worked better than I had expected.

Novica said:

I wonder what age Joanie is supposed to be. 

She's an older character - middle aged I think. I used her skin only but she also has head and body shapes and matronly jewelry.

OH the Corvidea dress looks fantastic with those shaders, I think I have Joanie too but haven't tried her out yet.

Ok novica I will check in later and see how you did :)

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    Novica said:

I wonder what age Joanie is supposed to be.

She'll never tell.  wink  She looks a lot younger without her morphs.  She actually reminds me a bit of one of the waitresses at our favorite local diner.

edited February 2016
    jakiblue said:

jakiblue, great renders! really showcases the product

edited February 2016

Rating: Recommend So Far. Takes awhile, I don't think it's going to be zip-speedy but good results. Watch the video. I was able to EASILY do what they did.

Reality 4.2 (Studio Edition) (Poser also available)

Okay, still doing the first video, it is set up to be basic (and then you change the column glossiness, etc, haven't gotten there yet.) I did other screenshots showing different time intervals, this was thirty eight minutes. The column on our left is still grainy, because there isn't enough light. (But that's the way you do it in the video.) I will say for people who don't know how to light scenes, if you watch the videos you'll have fun. THIS IS NOT HARD. I am not making any changes at all, only doing what the video says to do. 

temple1.png
    945 x 600 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

Lovely render. I've always loved that set and try as I might I never can figure out a way to use it in a promo. I even went through a couple of months ago and did Iray settings for everything and added emissive lights to all the little lamps glass. It looked lovely but I couldn't find a place to put my chick to render her pose. I'll sort it out someday!

That is the same reality video I followed. It was super simple to set up but my laptop took over an hour to get anything decent.  I am looking forward to trying it again on my new system

With your new system it may be 20 minutes-35 minutes (or less. Wasn't your graphics card better than mine?)  I'm doing a Merlin's Secret Garden and it looks good at 9 minutes but still coming in. 

I have a brilliant question. (The problem with any User's Guides is they assume we know how this works!) Do I need to strip/shut off all the Iray stuff in Render Settings (the Environment and Tone Mapping sections) or does Reality just ignore them? 

edited February 2016

Well, at least I got one to render that wasn't a complete wash out. (Very bland though, I like dramatic lighting. But don't have a clue what I'm doing for now.)  I'll do it more tonight, taking a break from the computer. Too nice a day and we have rain the next two days. I'll do more later tonight. 

MerlinSecretGardenREALITY.png
    865 x 801 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have the newest version of reality as well.  Its different but I think it will be awesome once I really learn how to use it.  Even not knowing what I am doing things have turned out pretty well.  I need to spend a bit of time on the reality forums as well to track down the basics.  But I think I will like it.  I LOVE the fact that you can go and work on something else while its rendering and that you can change the lighting in the middle of rendering.

edited February 2016

Thought I'd show that Totally Bazaar 1 and Totally Bazaar 2 are not just for women. This Iray render shows three G2 males wearing Diesel Outfit for Genesis 2 Male with Totally Bazaar fabrics replacing the default white. No Iray Uber base applied. On the left figure, the stripes on the sleeve are offset from the torso - I presume the only way to adjust that is to modify the UV mats or create a separate material zone?

Totally Bazaar men.jpg
    1200 x 1080 - 870K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551

Nicely done Rgcincy! Great render =-)

Agreed, looks good! Yeah, the sleeves are really noticeable on the lighter colored patterns. I don't normally remember which shirts have sleeves with different zones, probably not many, it's usually the trim. 

This discussion has been closed.