NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited November 2015

Novica, I normally support your thread and give it a lot of credibility, but frankly I am surprised you would cover a topic that you haven't yet tried yourself.  I'm not saying you are wrong, because I haven't tried to see what the arm does under normal circumstances.  I hope you will install Michael 7 and try this for yourself before you go any further with this.  At least then, when you say "this is this way and here is the problem", I can have confidence that you are speaking from experience and not passing along information you personally are not sure of.

Don't take the criticism wrong, please.  I still like keeping up with your thread and will continue to do so, I just hold you up to a certain standard.

Post edited by Slosh on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869

Not a problem- that's why I disclosed I hadn't tried it wink

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    edited November 2015

A couple shots of my "adjusted" Michael7. I added some body/head morphs trying to make him more Michael and less David. The underarms look a little odd to me, too.

Michael7.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 430K
    Michael7cu.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 430K
    Post edited by TJohn on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

If anyone has any doubt to how huge Magix's Iray world dome is..This render says it all.

All Items are at full scale  . Items includes 2 helicopters  1 full scale Aircraft carrier, 1 super yacht .( and I do mean super) 4 huge city blocks from Powerages Powertown.  1-600 x600 city block mixed in from Dysphia City blocks. 289 different Iray real lights used. 1 f-16, 4 cars, 2 people which you can not see them alall because of the scale of this set.  and 3 props from the castle creator set.   Everything used in this set  i had to convert by hand to Iray. 

CLICK Best viewed full size 1080HD for all the details

Watertown

• Khory said:

Eat more raw garlic! That by the way is my go to answer for pretty much every illness.

That and... wash it with alcohol... old school remedies that usually work. 

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

"wash it with alcohol"

Red wine! It is chock full of those anitoxident things.

While I've been sleeping, other folks have continued to examine the underarm issue and it seems it's a weight mapping problem and has been reported. This shows the dimpling in of the upper arm section, where it connects is a bit off. Also, below the collarbone where the arm is coming in,  is dimpling in (and the other side isn't, same arm position) but part of that might be the light source. As I said in the M7 Commons thread, M6 compared to M7 is two different physiques so this is harder to compare with the arms straight out. But who is going to have M7 walking around with their arms out all the time, lol?

There's more than enough discussion/exploration on the M7 thread with clearcut examples (and very apparent.) I was working on something else and getting back to it- but disappointed this cleared quality control. I would think with a big release, there'd be stringent testing and this was extremely easy to spot in the official promos.

I do want to address what Slosh said- and I am honestly glad he brought it up and he's so diplomatic! I normally I do feature only what I have personally rendered. However, when PAs do the rendering, I don't feel bad at all about using the promotional renders as examples. I trust the PAs that they haven't loaded a figure wrong or posed them incorrectly. I do always showcase the products myself, so this was a departure from the norm, but it was a PA render (or hired professional) and glaringly obvious that the skin was making a ridge up to where it was connecting in that promo, and the arm was indenting.  A support ticket was filed earlier today by others who tested it, so we'll see where it goes. 

edited November 2015

Heads up to the thread subscribers- Blink sales! Go to the scrolling banner! Right now it's these:

http://www.daz3d.com/xp-pointblank

http://www.daz3d.com/forbiddenwhispers

Rendering Dash with Slosh's outfit. Will be awhile.

Post edited by Novica on
  • EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603
    Khory said:

I'm sorry your feeling so yuck. Eat more raw garlic! That by the way is my go to answer for pretty much every illness.

From a great distance she'll be less cranky... or, at least out of reach. cheeky (grin, duck, run)

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited November 2015
    Etrigan said:
    Khory said:

I'm sorry your feeling so yuck. Eat more raw garlic! That by the way is my go to answer for pretty much every illness.

From a great distance she'll be less cranky... or, at least out of reach. cheeky (grin, duck, run)

lol. wasn't that a three stooges skit, lol. Lieutenant Duck (Larry), Captain Dodge (Moe) and Major Hyde (Curly).

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on

"I trust the PAs that they haven't loaded a figure wrong or posed them incorrectly."

PA's are human and as capable of goofing as anyone else. Not to mention most specialize to a fair degree and can be "blind" to other areas. Me? I mostly live and breath shaders and poses but I know for a fact some PA's are oblivious to what shaders can do. And do not get me started on all the times I have groaned at promos because people didn't fix this or that little thing in them that would have made the pose look "right". My biggest pet peeve is hands that are not posed at all. Just the dire default claw. 

oh.. and by the way. I really am standing by the raw garlic thing. It is natures antibiotic and pain reliever Yes you are smelly but you feel better faster. Luckily, I have a food sensitivity to corn (which is in fracking everything) and too many cats so I can't smell anything anyway.

edited November 2015
    Etrigan said:
    Khory said:

In a galaxy very far, far away perhaps...

I'm going through and rendering some gals, all from Genesis 2, to test Iray lighting on them. I'm making small squares for my thumbnails for my catalog, so these are brighter than normal but work perfectly for me when the pages are printed out. Happy to share a few, but keep in mind I am rendering to suit my purposes and not providing optimum lit renders. I want to see which ones really need tweaking, so this might help you too, depending on what Iray lighting you're using. This is from Content Library>Light Presets> Dimension Theory> Real World HDR > and the Maui E set.

I'm starting with the A's, only doing those I own (which are tons.) I'm using the exact same lighting on all of them to do equal comparisons but am changing the brightness/intensity if the figures aren't brightened up enough. So these are NOT indicative of the out of the box, it will show you the facial features, textures such as moles, I'm looking at eyebrows, and the teeth for some of them, as the exact same expression is applied so I can see how the mouth morphs.

These all are only going about 10-12 minutes, that's all I need to get an idea of the facial features. 

Before I choose a main character to morph for my book, I want one that the mouth looks good in poses. Some are better than others IMO.  I am NOT applying the Genesis 2 Iray material to the skin, unless there is possible improvement needed. I will be using a Photoshop plug-in for my book, so I won't be having photorealistic images, and I don't have much time to spend on each image either.

I also want to see if there are any irregularities which show up more in IRAY, or even in 3DL. Because I have to many to do, and because I am not using 3DL, I won't need to render 3DL comparisons. If anyone has Alora and feels like rendering her face in 3DL to test the materials on the nose, that would be nice for others to see. I don't recall her ever being featured in these threads but it's possible. She has several faces but the same skin. I'm getting slightly more noticeable skin variations on the nose, so I did one with and without the Iray mat fix applied. 

Will show you in the next post or two- I used the same lighting on Dash but upped the intensity, lowered the crush blacks due to the dark skin, and upped the burn highlights to .44. That's for the first two. Then I added a distant light for that dark side as the one side is so dark. I ended up darkening the image in postwork (you can compare the backgrounds.)  While the first render only took 20 minutes, adding ONE distant light upped it to two and a half hours, and was only 62% (I'm still puzzled about that- is that 62% of whatever time I set or max samples? It's not 62% DONE, as we deternine how long for it to go with the two render settings mentioned?) Regardless, they were both on the same settings and the first was done in 20 minutes. 

Slosh's outfit Just Josh for Genesis 3 Male(s) is fun and easy to apply, the sleeves and cargo shorts all have the shrink option so if you want to get the sleeves and legs closer to the body, you can. I showed it out of the box. Love the tiny details (like the buttons) and the fluidity of the material, it's not stiff at all. Keep making male clothing Slosh!!!!! Hope it sells well for you, I'm sure it is. Note it comes with an undershirt in addition to the top shirt, you can have a layered outfit, really nice-  and also has shoes. A complete package!

This is Adalia- and she is from Mystics. Took me forever to figure out why in Content Library I had an Adalia and none to be found so far as a separate product. 

Adrianna, below.

Aiko 6

Aiyana, which definitely would need tweaking. Too orangey. 

Alessa.

CatalogAdalia.jpg
    475 x 500 - 179K
    CatalogAdrianna.jpg
    475 x 520 - 178K
    CatalogAiko6.jpg
    475 x 500 - 173K
    CatalogAiyana.jpg
    475 x 500 - 171K
    CatalogAlessa.jpg
    475 x 500 - 177K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2015

Okay, ready for Alora. First of all, I made the mistake of loading Girl 6 as that's required. But if you click on Genesis 2 Females in Content Library, then characters, Alora will be there. Load her, ONLY. Otherwise, you won't get those heads that are shown. This is showing her without and with the Iray preset for Genesis 2 Females. Notice the details on the nose- a bit more irregular. That's why I was wondering if that was there in 3DL. This is only one of the heads.

With Iray, including the eyes and lips.

And Dash, with Slosh's outfit, and Fraser Hair. I chose black but this looks too light, and I did use the Iray materials so not sure if it's the lights or hair. Anyone done Iray Fraser Hair, black? I like the style and the look!  So the second render of Dash has the added distant light, that increased render times to a couple hours. Both renders were lightened/contrast/midtone, etc to get a different look at the skin materials. There is an area below his knee you'll have to watch, as it turns somewhat muddy green with contrast, and is a tad (hate to use the word) splotchier. I like that the skin isn't uniform, it's more realistic, but that's an area I noticed really changes colors when you start midtoning, shadowing, highlighting, etc. And definitely when you experiment with contrast (all this in postwork.) 

Definitely too dark, needs additional light. This was 20 minutes.

Added distant light, note leg on our left below the knee, that area gets more pronounced with more lights. Love the details on Slosh's shoes too.

CatalogAlora01DontLoadGirl1st.jpg
    475 x 520 - 176K
    CatalogAlora01DontLoadGirl1stIRAYApplied.jpg
    475 x 520 - 175K
    DashGen3MaleFrazerHrJoshoutfit2.jpg
    577 x 1000 - 438K
    DashGen3MaleFrazerHrJoshoutfit3.jpg
    577 x 1000 - 396K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Yea, Aiyana and Wachiwi appear very close in 3delight, so they both would need major work. And Honestly I failed at it during the Beta run of Iray.

About the only thing that came out well was that bird, lol.

TOTW_Wachiwi2_003_014aoairay_HD_Render 3.jpg
    1400 x 1400 - 1M
    TOTW_LisaW003_006_Iray_Archeo_001_Render 4.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 525K
    edited November 2015

Well yours isn't as orange as mine is, lol! (not the bird, the person.) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

About the only thing that came out well was that bird, lol.

May I ask where you got that bird? Please?

edited November 2015
    Novica said:

Well yours isn't as orange as mine is, lol! 

That was after a considerable time fussing with the settings in the Iray shader, lol.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/787328/#Comment_787328

Wachiwi has three mat options, and I found the 'Daz Default' one to be the closest in Iray, tho it still needed a lot of work, lol.

Kerya, "ArchaeopteryxDR" by Dinoraul at renderosity. Took a second to find the 'Spelling', lol.

"The two cute ones"

ArchaeopteryxDR and MicroraptorDR enjoying a morning doughnut and coffee with FW Eve and G2F7W.

[DazStudio 4.8] [3delight] [No Post-processing]

edited November 2015

Z, I'm still twiddling about in Iray but one or two things that would help you when you give it another go for a scene like that, partially in shadow- either increase your ISO which will allow more light (and brighten the scene) and that's in Tone Mapping, or / and increase Environment Intensity (In Environment) . The other sliders in Tone Mapping will also lighten up the scene without adding more lights/ slowing you way down- but ISO is one place to start. I normally keep it between 100-200 as it can make things grainy if you don't get the right combinations. I'm not great at Iray but that's the best starting point for renders in shade IMO. Your shader experiments were awesome, you're doing more than I am!

In Tone Mapping, if you increase Burn Highlights for darker people, you'll get more cheek/forehead/etc shine, whereas you might want to reduce the Crush Black because that is contrast and for dark skinned folks, may make some details harder to see. When doing these orange people, maybe someone has suggestions over in Surface for Iray.

Love the scene, the donuts are funny! Very generous of the gals to share!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2015

OT- Wow, heads up, Amazon and Best Buy are starting their Black Friday deals- Best Buy already has 8 of them, Amazon kicks off and doing it every 5 minutes or so on Thursday (tomorrow!)  If you are a Prime Member and use their app, you get the deals 30 minutes before anyone else. I'm sitting out Black Friday due to the water heater fiasco of $1300, but it's going to be wild with stores doing Black Friday in full force a week early. This is getting ridiculous though. Did you notice the Christmas stuff being put up in September in Home Depot, Lowes, Michaels, etc? Breezed right through the autumn stuff, which was put up in late summer. Poor Thanksgiving gets no love anymore.

Post edited by Novica on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055

"Anyone done Iray Fraser Hair, black?"

I did. Scroll up to the top of the page. laugh

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603
    Etrigan said:
    Khory said:

lol. wasn't that a three stooges skit, lol. Lieutenant Duck (Larry), Captain Dodge (Moe) and Major Hyde (Curly).

The "from a distance" is a prehistoric joke on diets: Onion, limburger cheese, and garlic... from a distance you seem thinner.

Grin, Duck, and Run follows me from the dark ages, too, as a sysop on Compuserve. <gdr> (pre-emoticons).

edited November 2015
    Etrigan said:
    Etrigan said:
    Khory said:

The "from a distance" is a prehistoric joke on diets: Onion, limburger cheese, and garlic... from a distance you seem thinner.

Grin, Duck, and Run follows me from the dark ages, too, as a sysop on Compuserve. <gdr> (pre-emoticons).

I was only trying to be funny as well, as that can help. That dose go back a ways, to when I was fussing around with OpAmps, DTL circuits, and something called a VAX (not exactly a vacuum cleaner, lol). Times sure have changed, and you no longer need a CRAY2 to do some things with a computer.

Novica, Iray. I took the advice of Khory and others and started with ISO400 (I think?). And that changed eventually to ISO200, Shutter Speed 1/60, F/stop 4 (looking at a screen-cap). Unfortunately with render settings like a camera, and light levels different now from back in beta, I would need to start over from scratch with all the light settings I had worked out. And it's the adjustments (an hour each nudge of a dial to see the results), plus getting behind on everything else in my life waiting on Iray spot renders, drove me away. It wasn't the people, the discussions, or the render engine, it was the amount of time each day wasted doing nothing while my Workstation calculated test renders. I needed a VCA, many of them, lol.

Blaack Hair? There was a thread on making hair in Iray, and I'm not sure what thread this Jag11 list came from (it may be of use to start, don't know). I got to find where that came from, (digs in to a search, brb). Looks like a black hair chat starts here,

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/810096/#Comment_810096

Here is the settings.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/810465/#Comment_810465

And it looks like Slosh may have something for Iray Hair?

http://www.daz3d.com/uht-hair-shaders-for-iray

I have doubts about things like that, as I've seen what looks like very odd UV mapping with some hair styles. The Promos look good, I just have doubts. Has any one tried that?

Tjohn said:

"Anyone done Iray Fraser Hair, black?"

I did. Scroll up to the top of the page. laugh

Ah, so you did! I'm not familiar enough with the new styles to remember them (and been on so many threads I forget which hair and render is where.) Yours looks a lot darker so it must be lighting.

Z- I do have Slosh's hair product and used it before- I was only wondering if out of the box looked more dusky silvery black than true black, or if it was my lighting. I hear you about all the test renders! Mine in the viewport is pretty quick fortunately (when I switch the view to the Iray)

What is an RIB? (Rocking In Batch, lol?)  For doing all these catalog shots, it would be nice to get them set up and let them render during the night. Anyone used this? How easy is it? I do have Windows, which is what is required.

• Novica said:

What is an RIB? (Rocking In Batch, lol?)  For doing all these catalog shots, it would be nice to get them set up and let them render during the night. Anyone used this? How easy is it? I do have Windows, which is what is required.

I haven't used that product, but I do render to RIB quite frequently when I need to render an image in stand alone 3Delight. RIB stands for RenderMan Interface Bytestream.  

Thanks Tramp! The product has a link to the standalone renderer, I could plop that on my other laptop. Is it as fast/the same speed as using the Studio rendering? I'm not very technical. 

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited November 2015
    Novica said:

Thanks Tramp! The product has a link to the standalone renderer, I could plop that on my other laptop. Is it as fast/the same speed as using the Studio rendering? I'm not very technical. 

Usually. There is a bit of a learning curve to using the stqand alone renderer, but, at least in my case, it is sometimes the only way I can render some images. There is an older thread over in the Commons which deals with the 3Delight stand alone renderer, but I can't find it at the moment, 

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited November 2015

Continuing on. But first, if you want to know what kind of tweaking is done from the basic render lights, you can always look at the thumbnails side by side and look at the background. Some of these had to be significantly lightened, some are very blue or gray, but I don't do any color fixes as that defeats my purpose of knowing what I am dealing with using the outdoor lightset. 

First is Ambie, which uses Girl 6. 

Next is Amelie, for Keiko 6. Needed a lot of lighting from Iray. Load onto Keiko 6, don't need G2 preloaded. She is pretty blue out of the box and was quite a bit darker. 

Anabelle will be easy to tweek, she's got the more traditional materials.

Anemone. This was an Actor load, otherwise I would wonder if there was a load that was wonky. (In other words in Content Library when you go G2F>Characters, it's one of the iconed figures with "Actor" and is a direct easy load. That nose is weird in Iray out of the box.

Aneta was a very nice surprise compared to the promo. She is much lighter here. If you want a darker figure, consider Aneta.

catalogAmbieUsesGirl6.jpg
    475 x 520 - 168K
    catalogAmelieforKeiko6.jpg
    475 x 520 - 192K
    catalogAnabelleGen2.jpg
    475 x 520 - 188K
    catalogAnemone.jpg
    475 x 520 - 179K
    catalogAnetaV6.jpg
    475 x 520 - 181K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,828
    edited November 2015

Hope you're starting to feel better Novica. More garlic, wine, and sleep!

My 4 year old grandson was watching me create a contest scene when he said he wanted to make his own "house". So I let him look at the architectural presets and he picked out Affable for The Ballroom. He then wanted to use Mr. Turtle and the Conspicuous Interloper as he likes Ninja turtles. I added in a war hammer from Gladiator and lit the scene with Architectural Lighting Rig. He also wanted a version to color, so I used Camera Magic: ToonyCam Pro. Here's the two 3DL renders. I've used ToonyCam Pro a number of times to make coloring pages. As you can see, it doesn't work so well where the details are added via an image map (the area on the left of the image and the floor) but it did a good job on the fireplace and Mr. Turtle and my grandson was happy. I also like the ALR for indoor scenes as it is easy to install and use (in this case, I added it to the scene. I purchased the recent iRay version but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

EDIT: I added a color ToonyCam render - you get more details of the wall and floor.

Mr Turtle at work.jpg
    800 x 800 - 569K
    Mr Turtle at work_outline.jpg
    800 x 800 - 427K
    Mr Turtle at work_color.jpg
    800 x 800 - 642K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
This discussion has been closed.