The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    edited April 2021

Its way too expensive for me, and thats 149 dollars a month, for what. I am sorry but its not something I am excited about, someone mentioned the Fast Grabs which used to be great deals, now its just Genius 8 and we all know its going to come tumbling down when G9 arrives, so why buy all those G8 characters when G9 is just around the corner. My computer can't handled G8 so I stick with Genesis and V4 M4 call me old fashioned but thats the way I have to play with this old gal, she crashed a few times with Caryn and we just had the barest clothing. Plus Iray.... everything is going Iray not something I am happy about. Thanks to the designers and artists who still do 3D Delight as well as Iray. I feel like we are forced into Iray. Now I didn't buy that much in the March Madness, not many frees going either did I miss something? Any way, my biggest reason for not buying is Iray and boy does it eat the memory, in my 500 GB memory card thank goodness for that little card. enjoy this Season Pass but I am going to pass.

Hello. Maybe this can help you a little bit? https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-iray-to-3delight-converter-and-merchant-resource (OT but I like M4 too, still the manliest guy IMHO)
    Post edited by CHWT on
  • Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,151
    edited April 2021

Charlie Judge said:

Let's see. With today's Dystopian Rider Bundle I get an extra 15% off the $39.18 price I would otherwise pay for owning Juan Carlos. That is a savings of $5.88. At that rate as a bundle buyer I would be better off just buying the bundles and HD addons rather than buying the season pass. After careful consideration that coupled with not knowing for sure whether or not the character is one I really want makes getting the season pass a pass for me.

This.

If DAZ is sticking to its discount scheme the season pass is not attractive for bundle buyers at all. The new Juan Carlos bundle has 6 items, so the "share" of the base figure in terms of items is 16,67%. It's share in value is even higher with 31,28% based on the list prices of the included products. But you only get 15% additional discount and as this is discounted from the already discounted release price its actually only 7%.

Let's say I'll buy the upcoming 12 bundles (if there are 2 for each base figure). Let's say the first one costs $50, the second $40 (as it is a bit more discounted through already owning the base figure). If I get 15% on each first bundle and no extra discount on each second I would pay $495 as season pass owner, $555 without the pass - the pass would save me $60. Even if I would get 15% on both the total would be still $459, a less then $100 saving. And this is of course only if buying all the bundles which is definitely not granted anymore for me due to the mixed quality we found recently. Sure, I did not consider the HD which would be extra savings depending there are separate HD products which are not part of the bundles. But I do not go for the HDs for each figure anyway.

Of couse this are all assumptions but without further information on bundle savings for pass holders I don't see much benefit unless those mysterious two free items are some freaky Zev0 & RiverSoft Art superbundles providing brand new functionalities for studio.

I generally like the idea of a season pass once it would provide savings along the way but I'm afraid this thing is not fully thought through. I also wonder who might purchase once this thing goes gold or silver. Early bird savings are cool but here you not only pay more for buying in later but you also get less.

So here's an idea for the next season pass: Just offer an additional 10% off from everything one buys (gift cards excluded) during the timeframe of the pass instead of those flairs, 1-day-earlier etc. - I'm pretty sure this thing would fly.

Post edited by Rod Wise Driggo on
  • HeckbarthHeckbarth Posts: 61
    edited April 2021

-1 from a five-digit-with-a-3-purchasing-history customer. I dislike lotteries and I dislike trying to leverage all the good energy behind this community (trolls excluded) for pure revenue growth. Instead of focussing on quantity (money), it's IMHO time to focus on product quality.

Big disappointment you dare trying to go that path.

--pic in case you need a confirmation

daz_purchases_as_of_2021-04-07.PNG
    1524 x 328 - 26K
    Post edited by Heckbarth on
  • Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

I think it's time to study mathematics... Even at my age... surprise

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291

One month.

The pass lasts for. One. Month.

I pay ten bucks to Bungie for a Season Pass and get literally thousands of man hours of work, new, updated gear, and an entire year of content.

Four seasons for ten bucks.

As someone who is heavily invested in understanding how microtransactions, subscription services, and other such things work (considering my normal work is adjacent to both the tabletop and video game industries), I really have to say that - as others have pointed out - this is not the great deal that Daz would like us to think that it is.

I'm sure they have their reasons for their price point and their time frame.

But one month? That is not something I would brag about.

• Db3d said:

jd641 said:

outrider42 said:

and it is not gambling.

You don't know if you'll like one thing, all of them or none of the items in the pass. I'd say that's a gamble. surprise

I agree. It's a gamble. If you do the math you are basically pre-paying for 5 base characters plus the HD package sight unseen. ($45+$40 for each of the 5 characters gives you the $425 value.) I won't be buying it because I don't want characters that I may not ever use. All the other stuff in the Season Pass is zero motivation for me. Badges? I don't need no stinkin' badges. (To steal a line from Blazing Saddles.)

Blazing Saddles stole the line freom The Treasure of the Sierra Madre so you are just following in a tradition ;)

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

I realize they use this forum for much of their feedback, but forums result in skewed feedback. This Season Pass seems like a blind marketing attempt to boost sales. I think they might discover that blind marketing doesn't give good sales results.

To clarify.. we don't use the forum "for much of their feedback".. I mean, yes, we read the comments, consider ideas and suggestions, but it's not our only measurement of whether something is received as a good or bad concept.

Like the Season Pass for example, we have comments in this thread that it's not for them.. and we've repeatedly said, that's fine, it's all good.  If we then look at the take-up of people who have purchased the Season Pass.. completely different story.  It clearly appeals to those people.. and that's also fine.  It's not like we're only ever gonna do Season Passes, so don't panic if you're one of those who don't like the idea.

So yes, the forum is one side of the story.. the actual sales data is another, and we use both to get a pulse on what things we'll continue to develop and ones we won't. 

It is totally fine to look at sale data, but sale data without context is a recipe for desaster.

DAZ made drastic changes to core bundles with price increases, mixed quality, unpredictable size, etc.

Sure, you can look at the sale figures and see that you are earning more than before (more earnings do not equal more sales). Even if the sales are sustained (in quantity), are those customers happy with the change? Lots of peope be it because they are addict or because already are too invested may continue to buy but gets more and more irritated. Keep up the markegting manipulation to make them spend more for less and eventually will look for alternatives. And if at the same time being new is a lot more expensive now than before because even old content get mostly small discounts, you are not exactly building something good.

BTW, i'm not against the idea of a Season Pass that rewards those loyal customers that buy almost everything on release, but there are a couple of issues: The unknown with little margin of actual savings. That combo of base+hd with the lack of predictability on releases and bundles. If you were still releasing standard Starter/Pro bundles, and the season pass offered $150 for 5 next pro bundles + extra 30% discount on addons, then anyone who could afford (and maybe even more) would jump on. And for anyone thinking that $30 for a pro bundle on release is too low, certainly is not. A regular Pro bundle release after addons and loyaty banner went for around $36 and included extra DO credit/freebies and other amazing(70%+) discounts.

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    edited April 2021
    What surprises me ... season passes for games work on the premise that you get additional content for a game you know. The season pass target audience for games are fans of a certain game who love to spend more time with the game they love, or want to get more extras. Although you might not know the exact nature of the content you still know that it is based on a game you know and enjoyed.

I'm surprised that this concept can be adapted to DAZ content as well. @outrider42 has mentioned that DAZ content is like DLC which I think us a good analogy, albeit DAZ does not really have a core game. It's more like ... DAZ is like a Diablo game, you get the starting equipment and your first skill for free and have to buy each piece of armor and each additional skill, and you can play around with the first dungeon but afterwards if you want to be able to survive in the further regions you have to get better equipment and skills.

In a way, it will be interesting to see how this works out long-term. Of course nobody will be surprised that some customers live the base figures and will buy every new character, but I would have expected those core customers already to buy every pro bundle before that. I don't think this offer will entice other customers to become interested, or even win over new customers - for those the PC+ is way more interesting to get started in DAZworld.

Post edited by Asari on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,929
    edited April 2021

If this were structured like a real season pass, we would get known figures/freebies before paying $425 $150 for the season pass, but to pay all that money for anonymous vapor is just a waste of money, strike that, a $#|7-load of money!

Either cut out $255 $75 of this "season pass" or at least allow us to know what we're paying $425-$150 for!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • Chronopunk said:

One month.

The pass lasts for. Two. Months.

I pay ten bucks to Bungie for a Season Pass and get literally thousands of man hours of work, new, updated gear, and an entire year of content.

As someone who is heavily invested in understanding how microtransactions, subscription services, and other such things work (considering my normal work is adjacent to both the tabletop and video game industries), I really have to say that - as others have pointed out - this is not the great deal that Daz would like us to think that it is.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Another(!) thing that bugs me is that Daz is using the same USD 425 figure for Plat and non-Plat members.  Plat customers never pay the same price for DO assets as non-Plat customers.

• A few notes - if people want in and not have a flair, please file a ticket and we will remove it.

We will try and make this a user setting but I don't know how quickly that can be implemented.

The contests will also be clarified to clear up some 'what-ifs' as well.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961

If this were structured like a real season pass, we would get known figures/freebies before paying $425 $150 for the season pass, but to pay all that money for anonymous vapor is just a waste of money, strike that, a $#|7-load of money!

Either cut out $255 $75 of this "season pass" or at least allow us to know what we're paying $425-$150 for!

A frequent complaint about season passes for games is that most of the time you DON'T know what you're going to get ahead of time, beyond "DLC for the game". So you make your purchasing decision based on what you know. Same thing applies here. If you look at your past purchases, does it seem likely you would buy all five of the next figures? Might be a good deal if you can swing the money up front! Have you only bought one or two (or fewer) off the last dozen or so base figures? Probably not for you! I know it's not for me!
  • AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961

A few notes - if people want in and not have a flair, please file a ticket and we will remove it.

We will try and make this a user setting but I don't know how quickly that can be implemented.

It's not going to affect me personally, but since I saw it mentioned by a few people, could their be clarification on whether the tutorials will eventually be for sale (or recordings of the seminar or whatever format) to those who don't get the pass? Or would that be one thing that is actually exclusive to the pass? There seem to be some misconceptions but also some incomplete information on what, if anything, is exclusive.
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited April 2021

My predictions for the 5 figures:

- 3 female humans

- 1 male human or humanoid fantasy/scifi male

- 1 female fantasy/scifi or 1 animal/fantasy animal

Post edited by Timbales on
  • gsil247gsil247 Posts: 221

The contest thing is just a bad idea. Lets be honest, its for the 1% of people who are actually going to qualify for it. Maybe if it was something like; EVERYONE who participates will get a (dollar amount), voucher to the daz store and the winners get a champion flair as well as an even bigger voucher. I've seen in this thread more people mention the contest then will quailify. 

• SilvereSilvere Posts: 46

AlmightyQUEST said:

Might be a good deal if you can swing the money up front! 

"Might" is the strong word here. And seeing how bad the banner deals are for existing figures in bundles, every established notion so far would make you believe that by buying the bundles AND the season pass you are going to spend more money.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    So, the season was supposed to begin on 5 April. Which would mean those who already purchased should have had Brooke in their downloads on 4 April. Since no one has mentioned Brooke showing up in their product libraries, I'm going to hazard a guess and say the product didn't appear. As I mentioned earlier, the lack of a clear timeline regarding when products are made available is concerning. I had expected Brooke to be in the store today rather than a continuation of the Juan Carlos pro bundle, a female outfit as a freebie and piddly little discounts on a couple of add ons that do nothing to provide incentive to purchase the bundle. If DAZ had no intention of actually releasing the promised content during the SP time frame, they should have made that clear.
  • maraichmaraich Posts: 489

Damsel said:

I'm sorry, I'm not paying $160 for a pig in a poke. I spend enough in this massive money sink as it is. I just got done totaling my Daz purchases for my business for my taxes, and Good God. "Hi, my name is Damsel, and I should start playing the ponies-- I'd spend less money."

So no, I ain't blowing $160 on some package of god knows what. It could turn out to be furry lizards or something I'll never use on a book cover, and I'll be out $160.

Ooh, if I could be sure it WAS furry lizards I'd jump on board.  

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

vagans said:

Can anyone clarify something regarding the Seasonal Contests? If I'm reading it right, only the Season Pass holders can actually get a reward, other than their art featured. The Champion and Runner-Up rewards only apply to pass holders.

So the non-pass holders submitting into the contests only exist to possibly push season pass holders out of the top 5 and then both get nothing?

The notes on the contests say:

**Champion Flair and store credit will be awarded to the highest-finishing Season Pass holder. For example, if the best Season Pass holder render finishes 2nd, that Season Pass holder will be awarded Champion Flair.

So it sounds as if the Champion award (store credit plus flair) will always be made. If the top 37 renders were by non-Season Pass people, and the 38th was by a Season Pass holder, then that user will still take home the prize, even though they're a long way outside the Top 5.

What isn't clear to me is whether a Season Pass runner-up prize will be awarded in that case. Or how many runners-up there could potentially be. The notes talk about "Runners-up" ("They are plural! Yes, plural!") with prizes that "will be awarded if other Season Pass holders finish in the top 5 of the contest". Does that mean that there could potentially be up to 4 Season Pass-holding Runners-up who each get $25 of store credit? (Assuming one Season Pass holder in the winning spot, and four more in the top 5). Who knows?

Also, nothing is said (as far as I can see) about whether non-Season Pass holders can win anything in the contest, and whether there are runner-up prizes for them as well. And if there's a general prize for winning the contest, could a Season Pass holder win that prize and the Champion Season Pass prize as well?

Whew, this is worse than DAZ Math. I think some further clarification from DAZ would probably be useful.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291

Richard Haseltine said:

Chronopunk said:

One month.

Thank you. I had major surgery a few days ago and I'm still suffering some lingering side effects from the anesthesia. One of which appears to be my ability to count on a calendar. I apologize.

Two months is (much) better, but I'm still not sure it's the best deal. I'll need a more steady income and some buyer reviews before I decide whether or not to do it.

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited April 2021

In my humple opinion....if Daz wants to make money they need to do this...

search in artstation and hire 3-4 super 3d modelers.... commission them to make outstanding products....sell these products....

money will follow along..... all of us the only thing we are asking is quality products...we are willing to pay for such things.... great armors, great clothes, great buildings....

we need more Stonemason's here..... 

Daz evolved over poser because they put their bets in content.... this is where they should entirely focus at....

Post edited by ISIKOL on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

A few notes - if people want in and not have a flair, please file a ticket and we will remove it.

Thank you for this. I'm holding off on purchases for a while, but for any future passes I might be interested in being able to turn off the flair would be a factor in my decision.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited April 2021

CHWT said:

kyoto kid said:

...what appears to be the major point of contention I am seeing is the 5 unknown base characters. 

Now granted, this is something I already mentioned that doesn't work for me for reasons stated much earlier.  However, time for a little hypothetical experiment.  Let's say, I decide to update, become a G8.1 adopter, and bite on this offer (though given my genre preferences stated in my post pages ago). So along the line, one of the free base characters is a demon, something I have no interest in, but I have no choice as that is what's offered.  So now I'm down to 4 potentially useful characters. for my 149$.  Later, another one turns out to be a fantasy creature, say Dragon 8.1. OK now I'm down to potentially 3 useable figures, each now effectively costing me 50$ instead of 30$ So I basically lost 60$ on the deal.  Meanwhile a really nice old gentleman figure is released that would work well as the base for several characters in my stories, but he's not part of the 5 character deal so I have to shell out 37$ and change (PC+ discount) in addition to the 150$ for three figures I may actually use, and two I wouldn't. 

Now as others have mentioned, instead of the "mystery date", being able to choose which five new base characters that I would actually use makes the deal more enticing. I could then get the old gentleman figure I mentioned above, an elderly woman to go with him, a petite (including bust size) teen female, a Hindu male, and Cat 8.1. OK even with the contests, tutorials, other discounts, and badge aside, not a bad deal compared to a total of around 172$ (37.46$ for each) having to purchase them outside the pass. That could make me consider signing on.

I can see that you are really tempted and have been pondering for some time. If you have some extra bucks, why not?

...nah, just a hypothetical situation for illustrative purposes.  I pretty much made it clear (I believe on page 1 of this thread) it doesn't fit my interests or needs.  149$ would get me two years of PC+ membership and change back to purchase a few PC+ items. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577

Sevrin said:

...+1 

• maraichmaraich Posts: 489

Envixer said:

The whole early release of characters thing makes me think they want us to pay to beta test their characters.

Heheheheh - we already are. But betas are only valuable if the problems get fixed. 

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

Richard Haseltine said:

Chronopunk said:

One month.

That still comes up to $75 a month for something that is a gamble. And yes it is a gamble considering that there are two freebies that are TBD and so far no one is willing to state what they are or at least what their value is. For all anyone knows they could be another ball-bot or a potted plant. 

And for the record, I have been voting with my wallet here since the daz-connect rollout, I generally spend less than $100 a year here, which is a huge change from the $1000 a year I used to spend before that. I guess I will be spending even less now.

maraich said:

Envixer said:

The whole early release of characters thing makes me think they want us to pay to beta test their characters.

Heheheheh - we already are. But betas are only valuable if the problems get fixed. 

I can't remember the last time there was a serious issue with a core character.  PA characters, sure, all kinds of problems, but DO Name-Number characters are pretty tight. 

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

ISIKOL said:

In my humple opinion....if Daz wants to make money they need to do this...

search in artstation and hire 3-4 super 3d modelers.... commission them to make outstanding products....sell these products....

money will follow along..... all of us the only thing we are asking is quality products...we are willing to pay for such things.... great armors, great clothes, great buildings....

we need more Stonemason's here..... 

Daz evolved over poser because they put their bets in content.... this is where they should entirely focus at....

Very well said!