The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

Khai-J-Bach said:

a grant is not buying ownership...

with that logic, Epic Bought Blender... which they did'nt, did they?

My remark was too short, it seems., so my intention got lost.
    I did not want to say that Epic bought DAZ, but their marketing team could have influenced DAZ, as Epic Games is known for s#t like this.

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

Khai-J-Bach said:

oh look

"Even non-Season Pass holders can join the contest, but Season Pass holders get early access to each contest!"

Pay. to. win.

thats the term for that in the Gaming World... buy this weapon/tank/char and get an advantage on those that don't pay!

Daz been bought by EA then?

It's not pay to win, it's really nothing at all. It's not like the contests are going to end before regular non-flaired plebians can enter. It's literally worth nothing to anyone as a "feature".

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,018

Until now, I never realized that DAZ assets were in a sense "collectible."  I just assumed people purchased the assets they needed or desired, based on commissions or their own artistic interests.  Purchasing every base character is essentially "collecting." DAZ says they are expliciting appealling to that part of the customer base with Season Pass.  DAZ has made that clear, as have many of these collection-driven customers who have posted here.

I guess I've just viewed these assets as artistic tools and nothing more.  Never realized they were in a sense, virtual action figures.

Live and learn.

It's actually one of the things that hooked me about Daz. I get attached to 3D models like I do to my MMO characters, and this is the only community I've seen where that's a normal, understandable thing. I'm not really a collector, but I've picked up characters just to play with them rather than specifically for render projects.

• Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

vagans said:

Khai-J-Bach said:

oh look

"Even non-Season Pass holders can join the contest, but Season Pass holders get early access to each contest!"

Pay. to. win.

thats the term for that in the Gaming World... buy this weapon/tank/char and get an advantage on those that don't pay!

Daz been bought by EA then?

It's not pay to win, it's really nothing at all. It's not like the contests are going to end before regular non-flaired plebians can enter. It's literally worth nothing to anyone as a "feature".

It gives Season Pass holders one extra day to work with the new content — which is also like getting an extra day to enter the contest.

It's not much, but it is a "feature".

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

j cade said:

Praxis said:

"Newest Evolution" ... "Season Pass": ... "Forum Flair"  ... No.

But I am intrigued by this:

j cade said:

...<snip>...

also a completly irrelevant point but everyone was mentioning lootboxes - what does it say about me that my first thought for a comparison was
    CSAs?

Which CSA do you mean?  smiley

Community Supported Agriculture.

there are actually 2 types

the more common type 1: pay a farmer and then go pick up a box of whatever veg they decide give you once a week

the other type: give a farmer $500 have 550 credit you can use to purchace whatever you feel like

this lines up pretty well with this new season pass and gift cards funnily enough

(despite type 1 being more common for whatever reason right in my area there are a bunch of the second type, I have credit at 3 different local farms, but where I previously lived I subscribed to the box type)

I am a big fan boxes of loot provided that the loot is edible.

With the Daz boxes, you might get the equivalent of fast food, tofu or hay. 

• Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

plasma_ring said:

GeoffreyHawkins said:

Until now, I never realized that DAZ assets were in a sense "collectible."  I just assumed people purchased the assets they needed or desired, based on commissions or their own artistic interests.  Purchasing every base character is essentially "collecting." DAZ says they are expliciting appealling to that part of the customer base with Season Pass.  DAZ has made that clear, as have many of these collection-driven customers who have posted here.

I guess I've just viewed these assets as artistic tools and nothing more.  Never realized they were in a sense, virtual action figures.

Live and learn.

It's actually one of the things that hooked me about Daz. I get attached to 3D models like I do to my MMO characters, and this is the only community I've seen where that's a normal, understandable thing. I'm not really a collector, but I've picked up characters just to play with them rather than specifically for render projects.

All of us are collectors, some may even be hoarders... whether we're conscious of it or not.

I definitely like the Season Pass concept — having access to as many base figures with HD details as possible is important to me. I've hardly ever used a base figure "as is" in any render, and I'm a dial spinner since Poser 1.0 in the 90's — always looking for something unique to add into the latest 3D character gene pool, and always trying to come up with something that doesn't look like the default, off-the-shelf, "stock" character.

At the end of the day, if it looks obvious that I used Victoria or Michael out-of-the-box without customizing them or adding any kind of value to them, I will feel like I've failed to create something new or unique from those resources.

• XelloszXellosz Posts: 742

Pass.

I'll see how the first one plays out. 

But this kind of offer has a 0,0.....01% chance to interest me.

I don't buy unknown things for this much.

So I'm not someone who is targeted by this mystery sale.

But good luck with it.

ps: Somehow reddit vs fanatical's mystery game bundles... comes to my mind from this kind of sale/advertisement.

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 240

j cade said:

Praxis said:

j cade said:

...<snip>...

also a completly irrelevant point but everyone was mentioning lootboxes - what does it say about me that my first thought for a comparison was
    CSAs?

the more common type 1: pay a farmer and then go pick up a box of whatever veg they decide give you once a week

the other type: give a farmer $500 have 550 credit you can use to purchace whatever you feel like

this lines up pretty well with this new season pass and gift cards funnily enough

(despite type 1 being more common for whatever reason right in my area there are a bunch of the second type, I have credit at 3 different local farms, but where I previously lived I subscribed to the box type)

I am a big fan boxes of loot provided that the loot is edible.

Ah... Thanks - I see the parallels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-supported_agriculture

• My question is, should I be able to use my $20 coupon I received when I purchased the Draper Fluid Bundle with this? There’s no stipulations that you can’t, but it hasn’t work when I tried to use it. 

Jason 

• AbyssalEros said:

markgoode77 said:

AbyssalEros said:

bytescapes said:

But all this is speculation. Maybe Brooke is actually a water elemental, and she'll be followed by two months of nothing but midget octopus space-centaurs.

Don't tempt me - I do not want to buy that SP or any figure that needs DAZ Studio 4.15. Don't make me succumb.

I've got 4.15.  All I need now is the hardware to make it work. 

It could be that my hardware is sufficient enough, but I really do not want to test it out, only to realize that all I got is a constantly crashing system with disappearing icons and other hick-ups.

disappearing icons are a store issue, not a DS issue. As for crashing, there's always the beta to test while leaving your older version alone (assuming it is a general release).

Technically, there is no reason to upgrade from 4.14 to 4.15 aside from the wish to use the new generation models.
    But in my view, the new Genesis 8.1 base characters are too overpriced, while in addition, the bundles, especially the Victoria 8.1, Michael 8.1, and August 8.1 bundles, lack severely in quality.

I am still learning, as I have only begun with 3D arts a bit over two years ago, and thus I am hardly knowledgeable about all the quirks of working with Genesis 8 and DAZ Studio itself.
    Working with Genesis 8.1 affords apparently a totally different workflow, which is even confusing artists much more professional than me, while at the same time, most expressions and a lot of poses from the Genesis 8 generation are not working correctly on Genesis 8.1 characters due to changes done.

Exprssions are the issue, though some people choose to work around that.

It might be dubbed Genesi 8.1, while in reality, it is rather Genesis 9.0 Alpha because of all the incompatibility with Genesis 8 assets.

There are very few, as long as you are using DS 4.15.x.x - as I said, essentially expressions and some materials that rely on the existing surface names (sicne the group covering the body and back of the head has been split in two).

If DAZ Productions, Inc. would have really wanted me to jump on that new generation adventure, they should not have increased the prices while at the same time reducing content, quality, and buying enticements.

That's the long explanation why the season pass is a clear pass for me, as I am not using Generation 8.1, and I do not see myself using it. I better stay with Genesis 8 until Genesis 9.0 RC appears on the scene.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799

j cade said:

Praxis said:

j cade said:

...<snip>...

CSAs?

This is actually a pretty good analogy. Oddly, I'm a big fan of the first type of CSA (although maybe we have enough Jerusalem artichokes now, mmmkay?), but I'm not really that tempted by the Season Pass.

Of course with a CSA, you're expected to show up at 8:00AM to help unload the truck from time to time. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in DAZ terms, but I'm sure DAZ will let us know ...

• JasonSWrench said:

My question is, should I be able to use my $20 coupon I received when I purchased the Draper Fluid Bundle with this? There’s no stipulations that you can’t, but it hasn’t work when I tried to use it. 

Jason 

It doesn't seem to be set to behave like a Daz Original, so no the coupon won't work (nor, as far as I know, will the regular PC coupons).

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    jestmart said:

Waiting for the first post with the question, "I bought the season pass now how do I play the game?".

Shall we play a game?
  • Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

bytescapes said:

j cade said:

Praxis said:

j cade said:

...<snip>...

CSAs?

This is actually a pretty good analogy. Oddly, I'm a big fan of the first type of CSA (although maybe we have enough Jerusalem artichokes now, mmmkay?), but I'm not really that tempted by the Season Pass.

Of course with a CSA, you're expected to show up at 8:00AM to help unload the truck from time to time. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in DAZ terms, but I'm sure DAZ will let us know ...

Well, we show up each day "helping" to find issues with the discounts in the store. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294

Richard Haseltine said:

JasonSWrench said:

My question is, should I be able to use my $20 coupon I received when I purchased the Draper Fluid Bundle with this? There’s no stipulations that you can’t, but it hasn’t work when I tried to use it. 

Jason 

It doesn't seem to be set to behave like a Daz Original, so no the coupon won't work (nor, as far as I know, will the regular PC coupons).

It never states anywhere that the coupon is limited to Daz Originals, so why is it relevant if it behaves like a DO or not?

• Jason Galterio said:

Wow. Just wow. I'm just stunned.

You don't want the pass, then don't buy it. The only thing you are really losing is the access to a potential discount. Not a substantial discount, just a potential discount.

I could understand the concern if the next five figures were only available to those who bought the pass. They're not saying that. No one is removing the ability to purchase the figures individually.

All this is is a prepurchase to the next five figures. Other than a few bells and whistles, there's nothing that can't purchased when you do see what they are. The lesson says it will be available, the contest is open to everyone, the bonuses say nothing about being exclusive.

All this hate and discontent seems wildly disproportionate to what amounts to no more than another sale.

Personally I am glad that the incentives are no longer a page full of bundles that I already own.

Right??

I'm still checking the thread to see if Daz_Jessica or another mod answers my question about the availability of the recorded webinar for all season pass tiers or give more information about the season pass, but so far just 3 (probably 4 by the time I finish writing this) more pages of mostly the same grief and tin foil hat theories, reinforcing why I don't care about the forum flair, heh. Do I think Daz is perfect? Heck no! But the way they talk here it's like they outright hate them. I mean, they latch on everything they (Daz people) do and say to complain (like Jessica using "forumites", geez). Either that or people being extremely entitled. I know I'm going to get again the line about "we...paying customer...right to complain", but having a lot of experience on customer service I know there is a line between expecting good customer support and entitlement. Some people just think they own your soul because they gave you money for a product.

As most sensible people here point out repeatedly.... Speak.With.Your. Wallet. Beyond the fact of giving them money or not, it is actual, useful data that helps shaping future releases and promotions. And if they still don't change... well... bad luck, you just found out most paying customers don't agree with you. They don't hate male characters or the genre you love, it just doesn't sell as well. I would love if we'd get a lot more anime style giant robots but I know it's not going to happen *shrugs*

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

mwokee said:

Deepswing, Daz Studio is free to use, you don't pay a monthly fee to use it like Photoshop. It's my opinion Daz fails to understand their customers. They crank out variations of the same thing and no one is going to buy stuff they already essentially own. After six months they give away new stuff for $2.99 in order to squeeze a few bucks out of nothing. There is thread after thread after thread of buyers begging for new products and still all we get are more pretty faces and sci-fi suits.

You forgot the cyperpunk and steampunk stuff, plus the leftovers from the last Egypt bundle... 

...and (wait for it as I open up a can of worms here) more skimp and otherwise sexy wear.  

...and, how many more Japanese schoolgirl unifroms do we really need?

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

kyoto kid said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

mwokee said:

Deepswing, Daz Studio is free to use, you don't pay a monthly fee to use it like Photoshop. It's my opinion Daz fails to understand their customers. They crank out variations of the same thing and no one is going to buy stuff they already essentially own. After six months they give away new stuff for $2.99 in order to squeeze a few bucks out of nothing. There is thread after thread after thread of buyers begging for new products and still all we get are more pretty faces and sci-fi suits.

You forgot the cyperpunk and steampunk stuff, plus the leftovers from the last Egypt bundle... 

...and (wait for it as I open up a can of worms here) more skimp and otherwise sexy wear.  

As an adult creator, I can tell you that most of DAZ's so-called "more skimp and otherwise sexy wear" is totally useless for people like us, as they all lack proper undress morphs. If we want to buy skimpy and sexy stuff, we find it elsewhere.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,184

I used the $145 that I COULD have spent for this, and instead used that to order a new 2TB SSD for my laptop. And the best thing about it... I know exactly what I purchased and there is no gambling that I may or may noit like it. Although I miss out on the fancy little 'season pass' forum flair.that doesn't show up in firefox anyway! laugh

• Havos said:

Richard Haseltine said:

JasonSWrench said:

Jason 

It never states anywhere that the coupon is limited to Daz Originals, so why is it relevant if it behaves like a DO or not?

Hmm, my recollection of the original promo page was that it ddi say Daz originals, I hadn't noticed that the actual message doesn't. I've asked about that, and about using it on the Season Pass.

• Darkwolf92Darkwolf92 Posts: 130

diogenese19348 said:

The point I made was already made 9 or 10 times already so... oh look, a squirrel!

LMAO!!! Get that Squirrel!!!! 

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

Richard Haseltine said:

Havos said:

Richard Haseltine said:

JasonSWrench said:

Jason 

Hmm, my recollection of the original promo page was that it ddi say Daz originals, I hadn't noticed that the actual message doesn't. I've asked about that, and about using it on the Season Pass.

Well, de promo did not say anything on restrictions at all. I remember, because I asked about that. 

• edited April 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Havos said:

Richard Haseltine said:

JasonSWrench said:

Jason 

A $20 Coupon Just for You

Because you bought the August 8.1 Dapper Fluid Bundle the day it was released, enjoy a $20 coupon with code 20-4-FREE.

Coupon valid for intended recipients only. Expires April 20th and excludes Gift Cards.

Nowhere do I remember it saying DO content only ... (And it doesn't like Fast Grab either ...)

(Edit) Just tested, will do some non-DO and seems okay with PC+.

Post edited by allenfesler_2df6b6e506 on
  • Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Havos said:

Richard Haseltine said:

JasonSWrench said:

Jason 

Well, de promo did not say anything on restrictions at all. I remember, because I asked about that. 

Yes, you are right. The coupon excludes only Gift cards, and I am told it should now be working for the Season Pass.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693

kyoto kid said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

mwokee said:

Which is EXACTLY what I usually buy so obviously they are selling that stuff and hopefully will continue to or they will lose me as a customer. I actually wish they had more variety of lingerie and more creative “skimpware.” And I rarely use male characters but I do like cute pixie toon fairy stuff so I guess I’m a cliche Daz customer lol. We do exist.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

..I remember the old television programme Let's Make A Deal I used to watch when I was a kid in the 60s. 

In the programme members of the studio audience would dress up in outlandish costumes and vie for the attention of the host Monty Hall. He would select one or more people to play some sort of little contest where they could win money or prizes (often handing them a 50$ or 100$ bill for what they were wearing or holding as a teaser) and then have them play. 

So imagine you are standing there with 500$ in your hand that you just won from his "Monty's Wallet" game, but before you sit down he makes an offer to you to give him the money back for whatever is behind the curtain the "lovely Carol Merrill" is standing in front of.  Now you could just go home 500$ richer than when to entered the studio (not an insignificant amount of money in those days) or trade it for what's behind that curtain.  It could be a new car, a vacation in Hawai'i, a full living room ensemble with television and stereo, or it could be a "zonk". (which was usually some sort of silly joke item).  If it was the latter you wouldn't leave empty handed as you'd still get some "lovely" parting gifts for being selected from the programme's sponsors.

That is sort of how this feels, save for the fact the money you exchange for whatever's behind the "curtain" comes out of your own wallet, not Mr. Hall's.

• KomodoVRKomodoVR Posts: 115
    edited April 2021

I agree with many of the comments, and so with trepidation I have rolled the dice. Please Daz gods, please make this so good that the next season's pass becomes an insta-buy. Right now, the expression sliders in the attached image tell the story.

SeasonPassReaction.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 356K
    Post edited by KomodoVR on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,638

bytescapes said:

One more thought: with a lot of TV series, the first series is often the best one. It's in the later seasons that everything goes steadily downhill. Having decided on the Season Pass experiment, DAZ will be under pressure to make sure that the first season is full of good stuff (because if the first season is a disappointment then no one except the most dedicated flair-a-holics are going to come back for Seasons 2 and 3). So if you have to buy a Season Pass, I guess now would be the time. It'll be in Seasons 3 and 4 that they'll get lazy and we'll find ourselves looking at Cutesyboo Toodles the Magic Hugz Pixie and Jemima the Identical White Girl.

You make a good point, and it would make sense if they did that. But this is Daz. 

• 3DMinh3DMinh Posts: 218

From what I read from the season pass information page, the holder of the season pass will receive an additional cash prize beside the normal one for non-season pass holder? Or maybe i'm wrong, since it is confusing for me.

"The winning render from a Season Pass holder will receive Champion Forum Flair, a $100 store credit, and their render put on our Season Pass landing page"

How about the prize for Non-holders if they win?

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745

kyoto kid said:

..I remember the old television programme Let's Make A Deal I used to watch when I was a kid in the 60s. 

In the programme members of the studio audience would dress up in outlandish costumes and vie for the attention of the host Monty Hall. He would select one or more people to play some sort of little contest where they could win money or prizes (often handing them a 50$ or 100$ bill for what they were wearing or holding as a teaser) and then have them play. 

So imagine you are standing there with 500$ in your hand that you just won from his "Monty's Wallet" game, but before you sit down he makes an offer to you to give him the money back for whatever is behind the curtain the "lovely Carol Merrill" is standing in front of.  Now you could just go home 500$ richer than when to entered the studio (not an insignificant amount of money in those days) or trade it for what's behind that curtain.  It could be a new car, a vacation in Hawai'i, a full living room ensemble with television and stereo, or it could be a "zonk". (which was usually some sort of silly joke item).  If it was the latter you wouldn't leave empty handed as you'd still get some "lovely" parting gifts for being selected from the programme's sponsors.

That is sort of how this feels, save for the fact the money you exchange for whatever's behind the "curtain" comes out of your own wallet, not Mr. Hall's.

That show is still on.  It was revived six years ago and is now hosted by Wayne Brady.  I got to meet Monty Hall once: he'd invested in a chain of discount malls and would come to the mall openings and play LMAD live in the main concourses.  Unfortunately, the Deauxville Malls weren't a good deal for Monty and they all lost money like a sieve... which is probably why he had to keep hosting the show for 30 years.