The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• Db3dDb3d Posts: 248
    Romulus71 said:

As long as these characters are still available to non season pass buyers I don't have an issue with this. Lord knows I've frivolously spent plenty a penny. However, this seems like a lost opportunity for DAZ. The company could have built up some excitement and discussion for future products by previewing thumbnails or concept sketches for these characters, instead we get black boxes and vague promises of something great for free. After the last few months I'm guessing DAZ doesn't have enough goodwill banked to make this successful, but considering my puzzlement over the tremendous value placed on a forum flair, perhaps I'm out of touch with the new customers.

Good comments. The big thing Daz, as a company, hasn't latched on to is market feedback. For example, I just ordered a product from a company for the first time. Immediately I was asking to provide feed back - Was it damaged upon arrival? Was it what I expected based on photos and description? Etc. I realize they use this forum for much of their feedback, but forums result in skewed feedback. This Season Pass seems like a blind marketing attempt to boost sales. I think they might discover that blind marketing doesn't give good sales results.
  • Db3dDb3d Posts: 248

I've no interest in the pass but I'd wager that G9 will be one of the new base figures.

LOL. I bet you are right. Ouch.
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    We just got 8.1 so I would be surprised if G9 came out anytime soon.
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,127
    edited April 2021

I realize they use this forum for much of their feedback, but forums result in skewed feedback. This Season Pass seems like a blind marketing attempt to boost sales. I think they might discover that blind marketing doesn't give good sales results.

To clarify.. we don't use the forum "for much of their feedback".. I mean, yes, we read the comments, consider ideas and suggestions, but it's not our only measurement of whether something is received as a good or bad concept.

Like the Season Pass for example, we have comments in this thread that it's not for them.. and we've repeatedly said, that's fine, it's all good.  If we then look at the take-up of people who have purchased the Season Pass.. completely different story.  It clearly appeals to those people.. and that's also fine.  It's not like we're only ever gonna do Season Passes, so don't panic if you're one of those who don't like the idea.

So yes, the forum is one side of the story.. the actual sales data is another, and we use both to get a pulse on what things we'll continue to develop and ones we won't. 

Post edited by Daz Jack Tomalin on
  • Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 760

certaintree38 said:

I'm calling it anyway.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

Nyghtfall3D said:

certaintree38 said:

I'm calling it anyway.

What would G9 be, if released now?

There should be significant improvements over G8/8.1, some of which would require significant changes also in DS, so I don't think we will be seeing G9 before DS 5.0 comes out. 

• PerttiA said:

Nyghtfall3D said:

certaintree38 said:

I'm calling it anyway.

What would G9 be, if released now?

There should be significant improvements over G8/8.1, some of which would require significant changes also in DS, so I don't think we will be seeing G9 before DS 5.0 comes out. 

They begin to develop G9 .

• somedudesomedude Posts: 8
    edited April 2021

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

I realize they use this forum for much of their feedback, but forums result in skewed feedback. This Season Pass seems like a blind marketing attempt to boost sales. I think they might discover that blind marketing doesn't give good sales results.

To clarify.. we don't use the forum "for much of their feedback".. I mean, yes, we read the comments, consider ideas and suggestions, but it's not our only measurement of whether something is received as a good or bad concept.

Like the Season Pass for example, we have comments in this thread that it's not for them.. and we've repeatedly said, that's fine, it's all good.  If we then look at the take-up of people who have purchased the Season Pass.. completely different story.  It clearly appeals to those people.. and that's also fine.  It's not like we're only ever gonna do Season Passes, so don't panic if you're one of those who don't like the idea.

So yes, the forum is one side of the story.. the actual sales data is another, and we use both to get a pulse on what things we'll continue to develop and ones we won't. 

I personally think its a great concept as someone who's recently returned to DAZ and only buys characters.

My only issue was the lack of transparency, but then if you'll be unveiling the contents over time maybe i'll just forever be a Silver Pass customer if the releases suit me smiley

Others have asked about discounts applying to bundles if they already own the pass but I'd like to know if it works both ways, for example, if I purchased Brooke 8.1 and later decided to pick up the Silver Pass would I receive a discount to the Season Pass price or should I hold off purchasing anything contained in the Season Pass until im ready to commit?

Post edited by somedude on
  • Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 760

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

Gen 9 has been speculated about for at least the last year or so.. it's the gift that keeps on giving :)

And what better way to finally release it to early adopters but through a round of Poker?  :)

:: returning to lurk mode ::

• Nyghtfall3D said:

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

Gen 9 has been speculated about for at least the last year or so.. it's the gift that keeps on giving :)

And what better way to finally release it to early adopters but through a round of Poker?  :)

I think Gen 9 would be given a bit more fanfare

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

In my opinion, Genesis 8.1 was originally planned to be Genesis 9 until someone pointed out how the community would react to that generation evolution. < partly irony, partly sarcasm

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

Nyghtfall3D said:

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

I think Gen 9 would be given a bit more fanfare

Maybe we'll each have to crypto-mine Genesis 9 in order to use it. 

• I think daz thinking how they introduce G9 to us .
    maybe they face Problem about that .smiley

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284

I'm pretty sure that Daz are going to do their best to provide good value on this one. It makes perfect sense to provide the best quality items possble in order to generate a possible repeat. Will some people be unhappy? Yes. Will some people complain that it isn't what they wanted? Yes! At the PC+ price it will be a good deal for those items IF you are someone who likes the base figures. If you normally buy each one, it is a no brainer. If you normally buy 4 out of every 5, you may get one you cannot see a use for now but you will be no worse off and there are the freebies. If you maybe only buy 1 out of 5 then it's not a great deal this time. I kind of wish I was a character buyer, as it is a good deal for that.

Much of the criticism (mine included) stemmed from the magical mystery nature of the pass. The Platinum Platinum Club price is well within my spending budget, as it is for many. However, my spending is on things I either can use now or want to use later. (Ok and a few shiny things that caught my eye!) For that reason, I would rather have some detail about the upcoming characters. Failing that, I would like the freedom to choose the 5 characters and add ons I bought. It could be done as a voucher/credit/code that was good for 5 times of our choice. It doesn't have to expire, so people could hang onto them if they wish. Daz shouldn't care, as they already have the money. I don't mind not knowing about the freebies - that can be a pleasant surprise and I would be happy with whatever bonus items I got personally.

Probably the biggest turn off for me is the Forum Flair. Please make it an on/off function choice. I don't like to advertise my spending habits for all and sundry and people should have a right to choose whether they want to display that.

While I do think there are many better ways it could have been done - suggested some many pages back - in many ways it is just another deal. Like all deals, you have a choice. If you don't buy characters or you do not want the mystery element, then don't buy it. If you are a character buyer or are willing to take a bit of a gamble it is a no brainer, as you will get product worth more than your investment. 

However, I do think a few more concrete answers would be welcome before the Platinum Part expires. Bundle discounts and information seem to be the key sticking points for many.

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

The big question is... when will it start? Today a day before Thursday... nothing. Or did I read something wrong?

edited April 2021

Lothar Weber said:

The big question is... when will it start? Today a day before Thursday... nothing. Or did I read something wrong?

From their information:

Season Pass will run from:
    April 5, 2021 to June 6, 2021

Post edited by Alias52 on
  • Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

Alias52 said:

Lothar Weber said:

From their information:

Yes. But no new figure... yet. Thats why i'm asking... (i did the risk to invest in that Pass thing, lets see...)

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

Nyghtfall3D said:

certaintree38 said:

I'm calling it anyway.

If G9 were going to come out during the Season Pass period, DAZ would be using it to sell the Season Pass. They might not explicitly say "You will get G9" but they would certainly drop some hints that something important was coming (and would be available to Season Pass holders). So I think we can safely say that G9 is at least two months away and -- very likely -- much more.

edited April 2021

Lothar Weber said:

Alias52 said:

Lothar Weber said:

From their information:

Yes. But no new figure... yet. Thats why i'm asking... (i did the risk to invest in that Pass thing, lets see...)

Ah yes. I just assumed that the figures would start to be released then. (I also lost track of my dates!) I wonder if it will be just as it ticks into Gold? I would like more information about the figures, though, myself. If you like getting figures, it is not too much of a risk - you will get your money's worth, I am sure.

Post edited by Alias52 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581

...what appears to be the major point of contention I am seeing is the 5 unknown base characters. 

Now granted, this is something I already mentioned that doesn't work for me for reasons stated much earlier.  However, time for a little hypothetical experiment.  Let's say, I decide to update, become a G8.1 adopter, and bite on this offer (though given my genre preferences stated in my post pages ago). So along the line, one of the free base characters is a demon, something I have no interest in, but I have no choice as that is what's offered.  So now I'm down to 4 potentially useful characters. for my 149$.  Later, another one turns out to be a fantasy creature, say Dragon 8.1. OK now I'm down to potentially 3 useable figures, each now effectively costing me 50$ instead of 30$ So I basically lost 60$ on the deal.  Meanwhile a really nice old gentleman figure is released that would work well as the base for several characters in my stories, but he's not part of the 5 character deal so I have to shell out 37$ and change (PC+ discount) in addition to the 150$ for three figures I may actually use, and two I wouldn't. 

Now as others have mentioned, instead of the "mystery date", being able to choose which five new base characters that I would actually use makes the deal more enticing. I could then get the old gentleman figure I mentioned above, an elderly woman to go with him, a petite (including bust size) teen female, a Hindu male, and Cat 8.1. OK even with the contests, tutorials, other discounts, and badge aside, not a bad deal compared to a total of around 172$ (37.46$ for each) having to purchase them outside the pass. That could make me consider signing on.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,929

Rhale said:

Daz loot boxes.

Really, just because you can, doesn't mean you should... 

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    kyoto kid said:

...what appears to be the major point of contention I am seeing is the 5 unknown base characters. 

Now granted, this is something I already mentioned that doesn't work for me for reasons stated much earlier.  However, time for a little hypothetical experiment.  Let's say, I decide to update, become a G8.1 adopter, and bite on this offer (though given my genre preferences stated in my post pages ago). So along the line, one of the free base characters is a demon, something I have no interest in, but I have no choice as that is what's offered.  So now I'm down to 4 potentially useful characters. for my 149$.  Later, another one turns out to be a fantasy creature, say Dragon 8.1. OK now I'm down to potentially 3 useable figures, each now effectively costing me 50$ instead of 30$ So I basically lost 60$ on the deal.  Meanwhile a really nice old gentleman figure is released that would work well as the base for several characters in my stories, but he's not part of the 5 character deal so I have to shell out 37$ and change (PC+ discount) in addition to the 150$ for three figures I may actually use, and two I wouldn't. 

Now as others have mentioned, instead of the "mystery date", being able to choose which five new base characters that I would actually use makes the deal more enticing. I could then get the old gentleman figure I mentioned above, an elderly woman to go with him, a petite (including bust size) teen female, a Hindu male, and Cat 8.1. OK even with the contests, tutorials, other discounts, and badge aside, not a bad deal compared to a total of around 172$ (37.46$ for each) having to purchase them outside the pass. That could make me consider signing on.

I can see that you are really tempted and have been pondering for some time. If you have some extra bucks, why not?
  • Darkwolf92Darkwolf92 Posts: 130

brimstoneomega said:

BTR said:

I agree with many of the comments, and so with trepidation I have rolled the dice. Please Daz gods, please make this so good that the next season's pass becomes an insta-buy. Right now, the expression sliders in the attached image tell the story.

This is beautiful! Love the render and post-work on this. I didn't mean to start a thing with showing the Daz-Deals-Can't-Unsee-The-Price total but I'm glad I tossed mine out there if only for this render.

Back on point, my biggest problem with this is not only the fact that what we may get will be broken with a goodness knows when we can actually use it date,  but the mystery aspect of it. While this isn't a Loot Box (something I deeply -DEEPLY- hate, with every fiber of my being) it's temping that borderline. I get it that Daz likes to be hush hush and keep everything a secret, but they're asking a lot of money on faith that they burned away without a care in the world. This is starting to remind me of Bungie and Destiny 2 with the whole "We hear you and your complaints, but we just don't care about any of it. Oh, btw, give us money." I mean, Daz does have the whole Free 2 Play model already, so why not Season Passes and Loot Boxes. Here's why not; these models of business ruined gaming and it's if this stuff is here it's going to ruin Dazing as well. I'm reminded of Bethesda with all this as well, the games are great, but broken. They depend on other to fix the issues, i.e. modders in the case of Bethesda, and us the users or some few PAs in the case of Daz. Oh, your icons suddenly broke? We know about it; here's the fix; delete everything and reinstall, but don't let your program connect to us, or else it will just break again. Our bad. It's like Skyrim and all the broken default assets that you need a mod to fix, but then they update the game and break all the mods. Meh, just do more work to make what you paid for work. I mean...

ROFL!!!! OMG..these are awesome!! And I like what you said Brimstoneomega with your comparing this to like Destiny 2. That was a very good comparison. 

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

outrider42 said:

These are not loot boxes. They are NOT randomized purchases, and loot boxes can be bought over and over with only a small percent chance of getting what you actually want. We may not know what is in them, but it is the same for every person. It is simply a season pass, a blind one, since you cannot see what the content is, but still a season pass.

Whilst the 5 items are set for everyone, you're still going in sight unseen which is somewhat of a gamble of what you're going to get. You know you're getting the next 5 base characters, that's all you know though. For those who always buy whatever the next Daz base character is, this is no gamble.

Keep in mind that you're also getting 2 free random items, which by itself definitely contributes to the concept of a gaming "loot box". The whole idea of those random items is interesting. Are they random for each person? How is the randomness determined? Can you get a texture pack that requires something you don't own? Are the values of the pool of random items mostly the same ballpark? None of that information is provided.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,326

Let's see. With today's Dystopian Rider Bundle I get an extra 15% off the $39.18 price I would otherwise pay for owning Juan Carlos. That is a savings of $5.88. At that rate as a bundle buyer I would be better off just buying the bundles and HD addons rather than buying the season pass. After careful consideration that coupled with not knowing for sure whether or not the character is one I really want makes getting the season pass a pass for me.

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

Can anyone clarify something regarding the Seasonal Contests? If I'm reading it right, only the Season Pass holders can actually get a reward, other than their art featured. The Champion and Runner-Up rewards only apply to pass holders.

So the non-pass holders submitting into the contests only exist to possibly push season pass holders out of the top 5 and then both get nothing?

• Richard Haseltine said:

JasonSWrench said:

My question is, should I be able to use my $20 coupon I received when I purchased the Draper Fluid Bundle with this? There’s no stipulations that you can’t, but it hasn’t work when I tried to use it. 

Jason 

It doesn't seem to be set to behave like a Daz Original, so no the coupon won't work (nor, as far as I know, will the regular PC coupons).

Thanks for look8ng into this for me! I was able to get it to work.

Jason

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707

Lothar Weber said:

Alias52 said:

Lothar Weber said:

From their information:

Well, if they unleash it within the next 12 days, other early adopters would get a sneak peek at Brooke. My guess is you'll see your first figure right before Gold pass goes on sale.

• RowanessqueRowanessque Posts: 130

Its way too expensive for me, and thats 149 dollars a month, for what. I am sorry but its not something I am excited about, someone mentioned the Fast Grabs which used to be great deals, now its just Genius 8 and we all know its going to come tumbling down when G9 arrives, so why buy all those G8 characters when G9 is just around the corner. My computer can't handled G8 so I stick with Genesis and V4 M4 call me old fashioned but thats the way I have to play with this old gal, she crashed a few times with Caryn and we just had the barest clothing. Plus Iray.... everything is going Iray not something I am happy about. Thanks to the designers and artists who still do 3D Delight as well as Iray. I feel like we are forced into Iray. Now I didn't buy that much in the March Madness, not many frees going either did I miss something? Any way, my biggest reason for not buying is Iray and boy does it eat the memory, in my 500 GB memory card thank goodness for that little card. enjoy this Season Pass but I am going to pass.

• RowanessqueRowanessque Posts: 130
    edited April 2021

That just about sums it up vvv

N_R Arts said:

I jump on new releases. I'm active in the forums. And I love to create incredible renders. But I can't afford this!

And I didn't realise Daz was a video game. What? Did you guys get the idea from Tekken 7?

What's the point of PC+ now? Surely you'll end up phasing it out at some point in the future.

I'm so mad right now. 

Thanks for thinking about your low income members, guys *sarcasm*.

Post edited by Chohole on