The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• diogenese19348diogenese19348 Posts: 926
    edited April 2021

The point I made was already made 9 or 10 times already so... oh look, a squirrel!

Post edited by diogenese19348 on
  • supernoobsupernoob Posts: 153

Not a chance will I pay that much for 5 lucky dip characters (guarantee I'll hate at least two of them), two free plants that I'll never download and a forum emblem. Yuk.

• TroubleTrouble Posts: 28

I've used DAZ since 2002 and watched all the evolution and sometimes broughaha and still I'm here.  Unfortunately with a very limited income my budget cannot include the SP but that doesn't mean others cannot take advantage.  I'll stick with PC+ and sales.  I never buy anything that is not on sale anyway.  Plus after all this time, my RT is stuffed!

Hard pass on the SP

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

The Blurst of Times said:

It would help to actually SEE the stuff we're buying ahead of time?
    At least DESCRIBE the new base models AHEAD of time for once?

All we know so far is that the first base model is named "Brooke" (was that there yesterday? I don't remember seeing it. But today it's "Brooke").

Brooke is (presumably) female or female-presenting, and the name suggests a contemporary (i.e. not a fantasy or sci-fi character) Caucasian female. Presumably not teen, or she'd likely be Teen Brooke. And Brooke doesn't exactly scream "grandma" to me, so I'd guess that she's in the usual age range of most female characters at DAZ.

So I wouldn't expect her to be anything wildly new or unusual, but she'll probably be designed to showcase what's possible with the new 8.1 features.

As for the four to come after her, we have no clues yet. Because DAZ need to make as many people happy with their first Season Pass as possible, I'd expect them to be whatever sells best -- probably fairly conventional contemporary figures, likely Caucasian/Asian/African(-American), more females than males, and so on. Cartoon/anime/cute figures will delight some buyers and outrage others, so I'd guess that DAZ won't throw in more than one. A fantasy character might make an appearance, but it'll probably be one that can look 'normal' as well as monstrous. DAZ has put out a few genderfluid/non-binary characters lately, but that's also a controversial choice -- some people love them, some people hate them -- so I'd expect DAZ to avoid them as Season Pass releases.

But all this is speculation. Maybe Brooke is actually a water elemental, and she'll be followed by two months of nothing but midget octopus space-centaurs.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,322

Ati said:

Daz_Jessica said:

Charlie Judge said:

Ati said:

@Daz_Jessica How are pro bundles going to work? Do people with a seasonal pass get a bigger discount, since they already get the base character?

This. Like many, if I am interested in the character I will generally buy the bundle instead of just the character. So, how will the season pass affect the price of the bundles? If I want the bundle will I loose much of the benefit of having the Season Pass?

Yes! Owners of the season pass will get discounts on the bundles that include the figures unlocked by the pass. We've done this for quite a while for people who own pieces of bundles that have released. 

Sure, but the last time I remember, I owned half the bundle, and got a 20% discount (or something similar), so the question is still whether it's going to be worth it if I'm not into the standalone base characters, but into the pro bundles.

Before rushing into this I'm still waiting to find out if we will get the full release cost of the character or just a small percentage deducted from the associated bundle.

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 639
    edited April 2021

Bamboozler said:

If this is a shiny for the minority of people who buy pretty much everything and still have money to spend, then okay, I guess it makes sense.

Personally, I am picky with what figures I buy. The odds of any random five figures all being ones I would purchase are practically nil.

I don't care about forum flair.

I don't care about the contest.

I don't care about early access. (Though as someone pointed out above, it isn't really early access, but delayed access for everyone who doesn't buy in. And that's fine, I can wait.)

I don't want a random package of items. WIth my luck I'll end up with a bus stop, a bathroom, some tile shaders, and a hair that either a) looks like ten other hairs I already have or B) is so unique and immmutable that it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Tutorials/Training are great, but quality and usefulness are big questions marks. Unspecified tutorials don't get my interest.

TLDR for me personally this is as big a miss as NFTs. Nothin' but nope.

Couldn't have put it any better!

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • supernoob said:

two free plants

Hmm, not quite ;)

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited April 2021

It's totally worth it for the forum emblem alone, think of how other forumites will envy and loath your elite status... think of the secret knowing nods you'll give when you come across another member at the grocery store or Turkish bathhouse...

But... What, no secret decoder ring or X-Ray glasses?

Honestly DAZ, if you are going to do weird stuff, at least maybe drop some sweet DAZ merch (physical real world stuff, not virtual tokens of it)... stuff like official logo sweatshirts, hoodies or edible underwear... maybe a friggin' coffee mug or something... I bet that would thrill people more than weird loot box stuff that seems to be geared more towards a twelve year old.

Nope!

Never!

Up next... Official DAZ collector's mint Gold* Coins!
    Guaranteed to go up in value or my name isn't Phineas Daz! 

*Not actually currency or gold, but minted in the tiny island republic of Wontongo out of semi-fossilized bat guano, where they are used to throw at seagulls and sometimes to level wobbly bar tables.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

mwokee said:

Deepswing, Daz Studio is free to use, you don't pay a monthly fee to use it like Photoshop. It's my opinion Daz fails to understand their customers. They crank out variations of the same thing and no one is going to buy stuff they already essentially own. After six months they give away new stuff for $2.99 in order to squeeze a few bucks out of nothing. There is thread after thread after thread of buyers begging for new products and still all we get are more pretty faces and sci-fi suits.

You forgot the cyperpunk and steampunk stuff, plus the leftovers from the last Egypt bundle... 

Which is exactly what I DO buy lol. 

It occurs to me that that this whole season pass is very much like the NFTs. It’s for COLLECTORS. People who have to have all the Daz core characters. They are trying to GAMEFY the whole thing, giving badges and hoping fans collect all the characters and show them off. Personally, I rarely use Daz core characters and only get them when they come with a bundle I like and special discounts/deals. I can’t remember the last time I used a core character for anything. I much prefer PA characters and discovered a couple of PAs I like that I hadn’t noticed before in the $2.99 sales. I’d rather support the PAs at this point anyway,

I have no interest in this deal and if some users want to be collectors and play the game that’s fine, but creating TUTORIALS only for them is cruel. I would pay just for advanced tutorials for experienced users if they would create that. In a pdf. With screenshots. Been saying that for 5 years now...

•  drop some sweet DAZ merch

Yea, I'd love some proper merch actually.

• Daz Jack Tomalin said:

supernoob said:

two free plants

Hmm, not quite ;)

Two free factories?

• AtiAti Posts: 9,081

Charlie Judge said:

Ati said:

Daz_Jessica said:

Charlie Judge said:

Ati said:

@Daz_Jessica How are pro bundles going to work? Do people with a seasonal pass get a bigger discount, since they already get the base character?

This. Like many, if I am interested in the character I will generally buy the bundle instead of just the character. So, how will the season pass affect the price of the bundles? If I want the bundle will I loose much of the benefit of having the Season Pass?

Yes! Owners of the season pass will get discounts on the bundles that include the figures unlocked by the pass. We've done this for quite a while for people who own pieces of bundles that have released. 

Sure, but the last time I remember, I owned half the bundle, and got a 20% discount (or something similar), so the question is still whether it's going to be worth it if I'm not into the standalone base characters, but into the pro bundles.

Before rushing into this I'm still waiting to find out if we will get the full release cost of the character or just a small percentage deducted from the associated bundle.

I need lots of characters for what I'm doing, so I'm sure I'll like all five. I jumped on board. We'll see how the pro bundles work out. 

• no noseno nose Posts: 300

Man and I thought I was having an addiction to buying stuff, but at it's price (even with the discount) it's a big no to me. The only thing that seems appealing to me are the tutorials and contests, neither of which I would utilize enough to make it worth it just for that. Unless the figures and other freebies are a literal work of art, I just can't see the appeal.

We're approching MMO territory, and I'm not a big fan

• FreyjaFreyja Posts: 13

What has this week (more or less) brought us?

1. NFTs
    2. Season Passes
    3. ???

These things always comne in threes - I'm just waiting for them to announce a Battle Royale mode next. /sarc

• NerevarineNerevarine Posts: 165

Well, I'm not the target audience. This is ridiculous, to me. Especially given I haven't paid over 10 dollars for any 8.1 character yet, and the quality is spiralling downwards (come on, how hard is it to release products that just work?). I'm hopeful it'll be great for those who have bought it, but between your flogging of NFTs, this Season Pass (I buy season passes in video games. I at least have an idea of what I'll be getting), endless reams of broken products, and the snark towards adult renders, I'm done with Daz for now.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,745

Well I bit the bullet. When I started, in the middle of G3M/G3F, and was not a PC+ member, my first purchase was the Lee 7 Pro Bundle for the full cost of $134.95. Since then, having joined PC+, I have bought most Pro Bundles, except the Vampires/Horror ones and Centaurs, except Centaur 7M. Never used them, wasted my money. Horror characters just look plastic to me.

I am hoping that with the addition of the HD Add-on that means the characters will be realistic, not pretty, pretty, fairies, pixies, goulish babies or animals. I would love to see more ethnic/age diversity to expand my morph library. But pretty white girls I don't need, I just removed almost 200 G8Fs from my DS library because of slowing down load times. 

I would prefer not to have that 'flair' as I see it as an advertising gimic and tells others what I have purchased. I consider that personal information. (As I write that I have! )

Render contests, well never participated in them. Of the renders I have posted in the forums, I think I have had maybe three that were liked, most are ignored or I am told how to improve and one I got serious kickback on. So I don't post as many as I might. Tutorial, might help me, but when do I have time? Scads to work through still.

But Daz, I really would love it if you would instead invest in more Quality Control of products before release. I am tired of actors, hair or clothes with no or partial metadata, or a character that was advertised as a 'young adult' who is three feet tall and squashed up and after a year and a half, no fix yet. 
    Or fix my dates in DS to reflect the actual date a product was released and when I bought it and installed it, like it was before you 'fixed' the store in November. My sorting of products is a mess now in Smart Content.

And yeah, I am fixing my thumbnails as I buy. And I have two systems, so I transfer my thumbnails with Google Docs. 

For those who are not buying into this, cool. No judgement, I was on the fence too. I just decided to take a risk. My tax return came in, I have some cash to loose. Daz don't make me regret this please.

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

bytescapes said:

But all this is speculation. Maybe Brooke is actually a water elemental, and she'll be followed by two months of nothing but midget octopus space-centaurs.

Don't tempt me - I do not want to buy that SP or any figure that needs DAZ Studio 4.15. Don't make me succumb.

• Arent I late to the party on this one...

NO!!!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Waiting for the first post with the question, "I bought the season pass now how do I play the game?".

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 478

Flares for the forums?  So we're 10-year olds now?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Jason Galterio said:

Honestly I don't see this any different than purchasing store credit.

When I buy the credit, I am spending money on future purchases where I have no idea what they will be. I'm just locking in my future purchase at a discount by promising to buy something.

Now I just got an additional discount, since I used store credit, for items that I won't know what they will be. But odds are I would have purchased the base characters anyway...

You don't see any difference between choosing items you want, or having them chosen for you - no options?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Freyja said:

What has this week (more or less) brought us?

1. NFTs
    2. Season Passes
    3. ???

These things always comne in threes - I'm just waiting for them to announce a Battle Royale mode next. /sarc

No they rarely do.

Folks stop counting at three, so it their predjudices/opinions/beliefs are upheld.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261

jjmainor said:

Flares for the forums?  So we're 10-year olds now?

Relates to the saying " I may grow older but I refuse to grow up " 

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

I've been thinking and I have a better idea. Daz can give me, for free, every new character as they come out. Then I will pay Daz what I think they're worth.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

Daz_Jessica said:

This is our reward for each of you who jump on our new releases, are active in the forums, or just simply want to create incredible renders.

A "reward" that involves spending at least 150 bucks on a small stack of content that you may not want and can't return. Thanks but no thanks.

Has somebody got a bet on at Daz HQ to see how many horrible ideas they can put out at once? First NFT, now this. I dread to think what's coming next week...

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Dear Daz marketing and powers that be, I’ve been saying this for five years.... If you created a comprehensive user manual that includes all the advanced and often hidden options in Daz Studio with screenshots and sold it on AMAZON, not only would you make a ton of money from existing users, but new users would discover DS through Amazon’s algorithm. Most people in the 3D world still haven’t heard of Daz Studio. It could get up there with Maya if more people knew about it and how to use the ADVANCED features! 

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,902

Wonderland said:

Dear Daz marketing and powers that be, I’ve been saying this for five years.... If you created a comprehensive user manual that includes all the advanced and often hidden options in Daz Studio with screenshots and sold it on AMAZON, not only would you make a ton of money from existing users, but new users would discover DS through Amazon’s algorithm. Most people in the 3D world still haven’t heard of Daz Studio. It could get up there with Maya if more people knew about it and how to use the ADVANCED features! 

And that's what blows my mind because you're right, a lot of folks don't know about Daz I've come to learn, yet when I decided to switch my focus from filmmaking to animation, Daz was one of the first things that popped up when I googled animation programs. So I don't know if folks just go with the program that they've heard someone else mention and do no other research, or if Google knows me that well and what I'd enjoy lol. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261

Wonderland said:

+1 

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited April 2021

Response deleted.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • JamieMJamieM Posts: 353

Robert Freise said:

Wonderland said:

+2

You could sell a decent printed manual for U.K. £40.