The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• Envixer said:

The whole early release of characters thing makes me think they want us to pay to beta test their characters.

You're thinking about this wrong. Daz is trying to confuse you with marketing speech. They say you'll get the models 1 day before release. That's impossible. You'll get it on release with this "season pass". It's the rest of us that will have it delayed by one day. 

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

One more thought: with a lot of TV series, the first series is often the best one. It's in the later seasons that everything goes steadily downhill. Having decided on the Season Pass experiment, DAZ will be under pressure to make sure that the first season is full of good stuff (because if the first season is a disappointment then no one except the most dedicated flair-a-holics are going to come back for Seasons 2 and 3). So if you have to buy a Season Pass, I guess now would be the time. It'll be in Seasons 3 and 4 that they'll get lazy and we'll find ourselves looking at Cutesyboo Toodles the Magic Hugz Pixie and Jemima the Identical White Girl.

• Pax Asteriae said:

Regarding the term 'loot boxes,' I think they'll be very careful to keep calling them 'Season Passes' considering Epic have recently been sued for violating state law with loot boxes and a recent study has linked loot boxes with problem gambling.

A season pass wouldn't qualify as a loot box anyway. Loot boxes are randomized packs of stuff, typically with item rarities, that you can buy over and over again in an effort to get "that one thing" you're looking for. Season passes are more like a preorder for a product you know nothing about. It's still scummy, but a different kind of scummy than loot boxes.  

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    Sevrin said:

One thing that's not being mentioned a lot is that Daz will begin offering tutorials and webinars about ... something. 

That makes it sound like, in the future, there will be information about using products purchased at the Daz store gated behind the Season Pass.  I hope there won't be an NDA.

Webinars might be useful and they might not. Corel, Adobe and many others offer webinars free of charge. Biggest problem for me: timing. Most are scheduled for times when I have much more important things to do. What if the webinar is of no value because it's on a topic I'm familiar with or don't need? So what if it uses the new, exclusive content? A good webinar allows those taking part to use whatever they have. Tutorials. Already have a ton. Have a lifetime subscription to Dreamlight (paid way less for it too). If there's a tutorial I think will benefit myself all those currently using DS in our pipeline, we'll invest. Or wait for a decent sale. Right now, they don't come off as much of an incentive. Not when DAZ offered 4 (IIRC) tutorials with include content for free during the earlier days of DS4.
  • Slartibartfast said:

Pax Asteriae said:

Regarding the term 'loot boxes,' I think they'll be very careful to keep calling them 'Season Passes' considering Epic have recently been sued for violating state law with loot boxes and a recent study has linked loot boxes with problem gambling.

A season pass wouldn't qualify as a loot box anyway. Loot boxes are randomized packs of stuff, typically with item rarities, that you can buy over and over again in an effort to get "that one thing" you're looking for. Season passes are more like a preorder for a product you know nothing about. It's still scummy, but a different kind of scummy than loot boxes.  

I know. But the term 'loot box' keeps cropping up in the thread.  Although I did find the terms of the Epic lawsuit interesting for different reasons ('The class action lawsuit alleged that these loot boxes violated state laws and "misrepresented the value of its in-game items."').

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited April 2021

Response deleted.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    Do all the mods get a season pass for free? The ones I've seen so far all have the season pass flair. I was just wondering.
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138

Granted this is a gamble, but I weighed the risks and figured it was worth it.

Length of the Season: Already stated ~2 months. I am expecting it to be about 10 weeks. Which would mean a new base figure every two weeks. Maybe once or twice with only a week between. So that would be 8-10 weeks.

Random Figures: I would have probably picked them up anyway. They are usually fairly varied as they are the skeleton that the derivative morphs require. I usually don't buy those. At the very least they should have varied texture maps.There is usually enough difference between the bases that this will make it worth while.

HD Morphs: I don't normally add these on since I don't usually do close up renders. However I have been trying to get better at these and with the advent of 8.1 facial rigs, this seems like a good vehicle to experiment.

Random Package: This is probably the biggest gamble of it for me. If the ad text had said five or ten random items then I would be concerned that they would be minor or inconsquential give aways. Since there is only two I expect they will probably be moderately substantial; an environment or a wardrobe set that might be themed around one of the base figures.

Contest: Honestly, probably won't participate. But I don't see this as quantifiable benefit anyway.

Forum Flair: Don't really care for it, but then I am not overly active in the forum anyway.

Early Access: If the timing is right, this might be useful, but again, not something I can quantify into a value.

Online Lesson: This caught my eye as I was curious what might be covered. If it will be about using the 8.1 facial rig, then I would be interested in that. DAZ hasn't really given online lessons themselves and documentation has been lacking in the past. I am hoping that participation in this might set a precident going forward.

I really don't think this "Season Pass" will be an every two month thing, just because of the overhead. If it was..

1. There would be 30 new base figures in the next year. (5 Base Figures x 6 Season Passes.) As well as 6 online lessons. I just don't see this happening.
    2. The "Season" part of the Season Pass denotes no more than four times a year. The games I can think of usually use 4-5 month seasons. So maybe this will go for ~2 months with an equal amount of cool down.
    3. I don't mind "paying in advance" for the development of new models. I've paid years in advance for albums, knowing that the prepayment was going directly towards the development of the album. So it's not a foreign concept to me.

It's the first time out for this, so I am willing to give it a shot and take a leap of faith. Will I regret it at the end? Possibly. I doubt it though. At worst I might have a "meh" attitude.

However, being in on the ground floor means I may be able to offer input to the development. Whereas, if I hadn't bought in, my opinion would mean nothing. I'm not banking on having an input, but as many people said, talking with your wallet works.

Victoria 8.1 launched on 20 January IIRC. Now we already have Michael, Cleopatra, Torment and August, so having 30 core figures in one year is not unattainable
    edited April 2021

Response deleted.

• ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 633

This is an easy pass for me.

I've never bought five consecutive characters released by Daz, not even way back when I was first starting out and didn't have much variety in my runtime. All the other fluff is of even less interest.

• So I'm curious, is this an attempt to try and distract attention away from the NFT debacle and not having someone in upper management address even one iota of the concerns customers have about that?

Because if it is, it's not a very good attempt. Like, at all.

• @JasonGalterioo, thanks for enumerating your reasoning so clearly, it gives another aspect to the comments in this thread. Looking at your reasoning, relative to your stated circumstances, in your case it looks like a marginal decision to me, with not a lot to loose & possibly something to gain. If everyone considers their conditions so clearly, I wonder how many would come to the same decision?

Regards,

Richard.

• Panzer Emerald said:

So I'm curious, is this an attempt to try and distract attention away from the NFT debacle and not having someone in upper management address even one iota of the concerns customers have about that?

This has been in the works for a long time.  They had sent a poll to Platinum Club users a year or more ago asking about interest in some of these features.

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

The idea that you have to pay $100 more for the same thing because you couldn't get in early is just disgusting. People are finding it hard to justify the $150 for unknown content but really according to Daz it's worth at least $250 and we are getting an early adopter discount. The FOMO is strong! sigh

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 762

The Daz Season Pass is something new here, so I decided to give it a try this once before I could change my mind. I do think it is about $50 over-priced, and it would be a better deal if it was $99 for PC+ Members. 

I know that I may not like all the included characters, but I do like that Daz is trying new ideas. The season pass also says you receive "exclusive live tutorials" but it would be nice to also receive some exclusive products.

I hope it is worth the investment, but if not, then this will be my last time with the season pass. I think one thing that we can all agree on, is that we are all big fans of Daz Studio and we all want to see it continue to evolve.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,512

Envixer said:

The whole early release of characters thing makes me think they want us to pay to beta test their characters.

I had that thought, too. surprise

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

robertswww said:

The Daz Season Pass is something new here, so I decided to give it a try this once before I could change my mind. I do think it is about $50 over-priced, and it would be a better deal if it was $99 for PC+ Members. 

I know that I may not like all the included characters, but I do like that Daz is trying new ideas. The season pass also says you receive "exclusive live tutorials" but it would be nice to also receive some exclusive products.

I hope it is worth the investment, but if not, then this will be my last time with the season pass. I think one thing that we can all agree on, is that we are all big fans of Daz Studio and we all want to see it continue to evolve.

+100. We will see and decide...

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

Torquinox said:

Envixer said:

I had that thought, too. surprise

The promo page says that Season Pass holders will get the models "the day before their release".

One day lead time isn't enough to beta test figures. Based on past performance, it might not even be enough time to correct any obvious errors with the package (e.g. missing texture maps etc).

So whatever the intention, I'm pretty sure it's not to turn Season Pass holders into guinea pigs. I tend to believe that it is, as the promo suggests, simply one more incentive for Season Pass buyers. It doesn't seem like a very compelling incentive to me, but it might carry more weight with people who want to enter the render contests and could benefit from a day's "head start".

edited April 2021

Response deleted.

edited April 2021

Response deleted.

• KlimaxKlimax Posts: 23

This is seriously overpriced for compeltely unknown content. Loot boxes have nothing on this. With them, at least one knowns what is possible content. This is effectively lottery with undeclared winnings.

As for amount spent, I am on completely different level:

Full Price Value: $1,102,394.00

Current Value: $79,452.81

Total Spent: $14,810.25

I guess I am the deal hunter. (It does feel like I spend eternity trying to get maximum out of various offers...)

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,413

got me again. maybe DAZ needs quick cash influx for something, like buying NFTs.  Too many games here, with the sales, and now the last two game busters. Like many have stated, they need to fix things and get their QC in order before game time. "
    Back to the fishing hole. 

• It would help to actually SEE the stuff we're buying ahead of time?
    At least DESCRIBE the new base models AHEAD of time for once?

Like... this is a visual arts hobby. Asking us to spend a not-inconsiderable amount of money on stuff we can't see yet is borderline abusive of your customers.

• BamboozlerBamboozler Posts: 249

If this is a shiny for the minority of people who buy pretty much everything and still have money to spend, then okay, I guess it makes sense.

Personally, I am picky with what figures I buy. The odds of any random five figures all being ones I would purchase are practically nil.

I don't care about forum flair.

I don't care about the contest.

I don't care about early access. (Though as someone pointed out above, it isn't really early access, but delayed access for everyone who doesn't buy in. And that's fine, I can wait.)

I don't want a random package of items. WIth my luck I'll end up with a bus stop, a bathroom, some tile shaders, and a hair that either a) looks like ten other hairs I already have or B) is so unique and immmutable that it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Tutorials/Training are great, but quality and usefulness are big questions marks. Unspecified tutorials don't get my interest.

TLDR for me personally this is as big a miss as NFTs. Nothin' but nope.

edited April 2021

Response deleted.

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited April 2021

EDIT: Double post.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • RobotHeadArt said:

Panzer Emerald said:

So I'm curious, is this an attempt to try and distract attention away from the NFT debacle and not having someone in upper management address even one iota of the concerns customers have about that?

This has been in the works for a long time.  They had sent a poll to Platinum Club users a year or more ago asking about interest in some of these features.

That might be true, but the timing of it's announcement/release is very, very, very sus. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

The Blurst of Times said:

It would help to actually SEE the stuff we're buying ahead of time?

Like... this is a visual arts hobby. Asking us to spend a not-inconsiderable amount of money on stuff we can't see yet is borderline abusive of your customers.

Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. 

• Jason Galterio said:

The Blurst of Times said:

It would help to actually SEE the stuff we're buying ahead of time?

I imagine you will, as the gateways are passed. The biggest discount afforded to the people who are willing to go sight unseen. The middle discount for those that want to see the first model and how things play out...  It's no different than anything else.

Think of it as a race. There are benefits and hazards to starting in the front row and different benefits and hazards to starting further back.

I've been a Daz customer for a few years, PC+ for most of them. Not as old as other users, yet here I am, considering the need to prove my bona fides?
    I'll just say, "Okay, boomer."

The game, I understand.

The criticism is that it's more abusive than prior games here.

The hobby is visual arts.

This funds extraction game? Seems less fun due to the increasing levels of information disparity between Daz and its user base.

edited April 2021

Response deleted.