SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

14950515254

Comments

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

    Hi there. Sorry, been away from Studio for a while.

    Just started up DIM and it looks like it has lost connection to existing content directoy databases, and wants to install everything again. Well, nope. Got everything I need right here. I'm not sure why updating DIM causes that to happen, but it was all working perfectly yesterday  and I don't use C drive for DAZ Studio. It doesn't have enough space.  I find these kinds of things frustrating, since I have so little time to use Studio that when I encounter an upgrade issue, it halts everything. I will try to ignore it for now. I'm not going to reinstall stuff I already have installed just because DIM has changed the defaults to different directories. The show must go on!

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,109

    My DIM updated without issue. I also do not use the C drive. I wonder what happened to you.

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

    My mother passed away of colon cancer. She had been sick for a few years, and so it was not unexpected. 

    Usually DIM updates properly but not this time. 

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,109

    Serene Night said:

    My mother passed away of colon cancer. She had been sick for a few years, and so it was not unexpected. 

    Usually DIM updates properly but not this time. 

    Oh, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. It is hard to lose a parent, even if it is something you saw coming. In a way, that makes the pain last longer because of the anticipation.

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

    Thanks! I Appreciate that.

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited October 2023

    Okay, wanted to at least answer some questions people have asked. 

    Manfriday's converter was the first question. Here we go, I have converted Owen just tonight. I like this product, its easy to use and the results are pretty nice if I do say so myself. 

    I was searching in my runtime for some masculine looking shorts. For some reason, Genesis 9 male briefs have little fabric in the groin-al region between the legs.  I think its because they are designed for females and to use dforce, but they mostly look strange to me, and if I use them there is too much exposed down there.

    However, this is a female short! So I hoist myself by my own pertard as the saying goes. I recommend these shorts for the guys, because not only are they nice and lowrise they look sexy!  https://www.daz3d.com/x-fashion-sport-fit-for-genesis-9

    EDIT: I can see the hands aren't working well. Will have to go check that out. 

    OwenX4.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 799K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,109

    Owen looks good. After converting to G9, did you Adjust Rigging to Shape, or better yet, use Shape Rigger Plus for G9? I really like the Shape Rigger.

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited October 2023

    Okay, here we go, re-adjusted the rigging to fit the shape.

    I'm still looking for some eyebrows that go further over, these seem to be slightly short, but this was the closest overall look I could find. 

    c.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 826K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,109

    He looks even better.

  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,720

    Serene Night, I am so sorry for your loss. I know the loss as my mother died from cancer when she was 59 and I was 27 and stationed overseas. It still is a shock and a heart break. Keep your loving memories tight in your heart.

    Regarding this newest DIM update, I have it on 3 computers. On the MacBook Pro, with external hard drives and the Win 10 laptop, no issues. But on my Win 10 desktop with external hard drives, I had to reboot two times before the fresh DIM recongized I had my existing files installed. (This is something that does happen without an update thought, it maybe the USB connections get loose, so I try to make sure they are tightened up. Cats and my knees are great for that.)

    Owen looking good.

    Mary

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

    Serene Night said:

    My mother passed away of colon cancer. She had been sick for a few years, and so it was not unexpected. 

    Usually DIM updates properly but not this time. 

    I'm sorry.

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

    Serene Night said:

    Okay, here we go, re-adjusted the rigging to fit the shape.

    I'm still looking for some eyebrows that go further over, these seem to be slightly short, but this was the closest overall look I could find. 

    Nice to see the old Owen. I have bought the ManFriday G3/G8/G8.1 to G9 transfer product but not yet the G9 Shape Rigger product. 

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

    memcneil70 said:

    Serene Night, I am so sorry for your loss. I know the loss as my mother died from cancer when she was 59 and I was 27 and stationed overseas. It still is a shock and a heart break. Keep your loving memories tight in your heart.

    Regarding this newest DIM update, I have it on 3 computers. On the MacBook Pro, with external hard drives and the Win 10 laptop, no issues. But on my Win 10 desktop with external hard drives, I had to reboot two times before the fresh DIM recongized I had my existing files installed. (This is something that does happen without an update thought, it maybe the USB connections get loose, so I try to make sure they are tightened up. Cats and my knees are great for that.)

    Owen looking good.

    Mary

    Thanks for your kind wishes. It's never easy to lose a parent.
    Re: Dim. I wish it were the case, but it seems l have damaged the database in some way. Fortunately the content is still there, but all the custom categories are gone. That alone is a huge loss. Oh well. Must soldier on!

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

    nonesuch00 said:

    Serene Night said:

    Okay, here we go, re-adjusted the rigging to fit the shape.

    I'm still looking for some eyebrows that go further over, these seem to be slightly short, but this was the closest overall look I could find. 

    Nice to see the old Owen. I have bought the ManFriday G3/G8/G8.1 to G9 transfer product but not yet the G9 Shape Rigger product. 
     

    ManFriday' product is excellent. It did a nice job on Owen. Boyd is proving to be a bit more complicated. But we are getting there.

  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

    @SereneNight I sent you a pm ,

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited October 2023

    So with the figure converter by Manfriday. The manual is obviously incorrect and I redownloaded it twice, thinking maybe there was something wrong with my install because the screenshots depicted are not what I see as there is no option to save the morph with the adjust rigging to shape option chosen.This is disappointing and very unclear. And yes, read the commercial thread, after I tried to figure out why it wasn't working properly, and learned the feature was removed but its still not really clear what the average person is to do when using this product to save it correctly.

    So I am assuming I'm expected to finish up fix and resave the product correctly? Er, isn't that why I buy products to do that for me? 

    The manual doesn't say, but what are the next appropriate steps for the average user to use and save these individual morphs without buying another product. 

    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

    carrie58 said:

    @SereneNight I sent you a pm ,

    Okay, thanks, I'll check it out.

  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,810
    edited October 2023

    Serene Night said:

    So with the figure converter by Manfriday. The manual is obviously incorrect and I redownloaded it twice, thinking maybe there was something wrong with my install because the screenshots depicted are not what I see as there is no option to save the morph with the adjust rigging to shape option chosen.This is disappointing and very unclear. And yes, read the commercial thread, after I tried to figure out why it wasn't working properly, and learned the feature was removed but its still not really clear what the average person is to do when using this product to save it correctly.

    So I am assuming I'm expected to finish up fix and resave the product correctly? Er, isn't that why I buy products to do that for me? 

    The manual doesn't say, but what are the next appropriate steps for the average user to use and save these individual morphs without buying another product. 

    This is what I said about that step in my review over on DA:

    I did do both "Adjust rigging to shape", which ManFriday states, in the PDF that comes with the program, might be needed. Also did ERC Freeze, which is needed after doing "Adjust rigging to shape", and which is not mentioned in the manual, so remember to do that step. Then, once the ERC Freeze has completed, dial your character back to zero, with none of your converted morphs active, and Save Morph Assets for those morphs. One thing to note, however: for me, at least, ERC Freeze somehow turned the BODY slider into a controller for both Body and Head, so that when I dial in the Body, the Head comes along for the ride. It's not a huge deal -- the head can be dialed out without affecting the body, if needed, and can be dialed in separately by itself -- but it was unexpected.

     

    Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited October 2023

    I messed around with it more last night. I found you can sort of do the adjust rigging to shape when the figure still has the plug-in active, then save. Then all you need to do is edit the parameters and do the erc freeze,

    One disappointment I'm finding is that something in the altering the process is baking the height in the head morph? It was late when I was messing around with it. But when you straight up do the app, it doesn't do that but something in the manual save is doing it.

    I thank you for writing up your method for this. I intend to convert a lot of figures since frankly the real world proportions of g9 kind of don't suit the style I am used to.

     

    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited October 2023

    Okay, in answer to the question about what I think about the https://www.daz3d.com/mi-modern-military-combat-uniform-bundle I quite like it. Here is Owen, (converted) wearing the outfit. It is very detailed, and fit Owen pretty well.

    The default shoulder patch is about the only thing I don't like about the uniform, but with the texture expansion it can be changed. (The number seems to get distorted, and its rather eye-catching).

    The helmet looks nice. There are no weapons in the set that I could find, so you'll need to use something like the Army Weapons that are a daz original.

    I'm going to play around with it some more. I definitely recommend picking up the textures to add some variety to your uniforms.

    Owen-2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

    Serene Night said:

    Okay, in answer to the question about what I think about the https://www.daz3d.com/mi-modern-military-combat-uniform-bundle I quite like it. Here is Owen, (converted) wearing the outfit. It is very detailed, and fit Owen pretty well.

    The default shoulder patch is about the only thing I don't like about the uniform, but with the texture expansion it can be changed. (The number seems to get distorted, and its rather eye-catching).

    The helmet looks nice. There are no weapons in the set that I could find, so you'll need to use something like the Army Weapons that are a daz original.

    I'm going to play around with it some more. I definitely recommend picking up the textures to add some variety to your uniforms.

    It's fit from that angle does look more realistic, they fir more like baggy PJs, some of the older products fit more like unitards (because of how autofit works).

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited October 2023

    I picked this one up a while ago, and haven't gotten a chance to render it.  Axoran Demonic Armor outfit. It's a pretty useful set. Each piece loads individually, and there is a lot of detail. It also fits quite well and has no distortion.

    For my character, it did load without textures, so these needed to be applied after loading. But you could definitely use this for kitbash any sort of fantasy character for a variety of looks or as is.

    I recommend it, and the associated textur set.

    BKC Axoran.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

    Nice

     

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited October 2023

    I picked up ES3D Tauriel and Thalius Mega Bundle for Genesis 9 and only just have begun to experiment with it.

    So far, I just love Thalius. In fact, I think this is my favorite Genesis 9 male to date.

     He is a highly realisic, and well designed human/elf/demon whatever you need him to be. The elf expansion
    comes with multiple skin tones, ears, and glowing tattoos.

    For whatever reason, I missed his character icon in the characters tab in studio. DIM said it was there, but it did not display. I reinstalled and it seems to be there now.

     He and his sister, (twin, partner whatnot), are both excellent and the extra skin colors would suit drow, aliens or whatever you're into.

    Thalius.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    drows.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited November 2023

    I picked up the Futuristic Worker set a DAZ original for Genesis 9 and quite like it.

    Although it appears obviously designed for female Genesis 9 characters, since it has a corset and sort of 'breast armor/crotch clamp' thing happening it works pretty well with male characters, especially the darker texture. I did buy the color expansion, but for some reason, the black looks better. 

    The outfit includes pants and shoes. You can see that when the character is facing to the left. The waist area looks kind of strange, but its actually the top of a jumpsuit flapping down. Boyd will have to try it on. 

    This is a great android outfit! I wish there was a male version with a less corset look to the torso, but its still great. 

    Cybe4.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1012K
    Cyber.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Cybe5.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

    Okay here is thread 3. Probably best to use this thread for further comment since the other is at the end of its capacity.

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

    Serene Night said:

    Okay here is thread 3. Probably best to use this thread for further comment since the other is at the end of its capacity.

    Those android sets would be cool if you could turn on/off each 'android island' separately, can you?

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

    I'm not sure, it might be faster to do do two renders, one with and one without parts and then put them together in photoshop or similar programs. 

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited January 29

    I wanted to do a man with a long braid, and there weren't any hairstyles like that for the guys. So I used an Out of Touch hair, and two other men's hairs, to make a reasonable although fantastically long braid for him. The other two hairstyles supplied the front pieces and the sides. 

     

    Covenant2.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited March 27

    Here's another Owen, genesis 9, conversion. This I think is closest yet. Different skin. 

    Owen-x.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 959K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
Sign In or Register to comment.