SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

Oof. Wish I'd seen that image before I bought the beachwear. Oh, well, maybe using Thickener on it will help out.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Serene Night said:

I picked up dForce Oliver beachwear. I can't say the look looks that great on Boyd/Owen. I think the drape is wrong, and its too thin for this type of outfit. It looks like s skirt/kilt. 

Has no seams on the sides?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

There is a seam in the front and back. The pockets which normally would be in a seam are just sort of hanging there. For me the issue is he fit. I think swimwear really should be conforming. I don't see much reason to drape it.

Serene Night said:

There is a seam in the front and back. The pockets which normally would be in a seam are just sort of hanging there. For me the issue is he fit. I think swimwear really should be conforming. I don't see much reason to drape it.

They look like knitwear in the way they drape, which is appropriate for Speedo briefs, but not so much for jammers.

edited May 2023

So I bought Anime City, and I really like it as a background. You can't really see anything here, since I depth of fielded it but it has some good lighting and interesting urban features.  Boyd is not smiling, I know, because I haven't found a smile I really like yet for him. Owen looks pretty good, ao we have some progress.

I should mention I did pick up the Autofocus suite and its a very useful tool. https://www.daz3d.com/auto-focus-suite

Anime1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited May 2023

Okay, for those interested in the Fast and Easy Eye Reflections product this is a nice, easy to use product which helps you bring out the reflections in Genesis 9 eyes, something I've really struggled with. 

The product allows you to adjust the reflection, the strength, and location of the eye reflection. I think this is a definite keeper, and recommedn checking it out.

eyes.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    eyes.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thanks!  I have looked at it and couldn't decide.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147

I know they are a work in progress, but I prefer the previous generation Boyd and Owen. The new Boyd looks a bit feminine to me at this point. It will be interesting to see how they evolve.

Yes I agree. Genesis 9 seems to skew feminine in shape for me. Even when I use the base masculine facial features and male only morphs there is a subtle androgyny that I am not looking for. 

The amount of energy spent to make a male figure I like vs how easy genesis 8 male was to make men just doesn't seem worth it.

edited May 2023

For what it's worth, one of the things I've been doing to push back against that in the face is making the mouth bigger and wider -- mostly wider. The G9 mouth relative to the head size seems very small to me. I also tend to make the eyes a touch bigger, but that's purely because almost all the male characters so far have been weirdly squinty. Bigger eyes probably doesn't help them look more masculine, but at least they look like they can see where they're going.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited May 2023

Yeah. There is sort of a manga thing going on with the nose and mouth. The nose has a long thin shape happening, and the chin seems sort of not strongly defined, even Mike 9 in profile seems to have a weakened jaw. There is also a very long thin graceful look to the neck and the absence of adams apple or development in the neck area just doesn't quite work for me.

I also experience lag with using gen 9. And I don't see much real benefit from it. I do like the facial expressions though. They seem better than genesis 8.

but I spent some serious time with genesis 9 inthe last week, and I found myself really struggling with making renders. Most of the poses even when they claim to be made for men just look really exagerated and sometimes kind of feminine.  I converted poses from gen 8 but it felt laborous.

I guess I'll go back to gen 8. The male bodies just look better to me. I guess this is one time the upgrade does not surpass the previous build.

edited May 2023

Okay, so because I'm ditching Gen 9 for the time being, I still want to be able to use Gen 9 clothing and hair on Genesis 8. 

The good news is there is: MMX Genesis 9 Clones for All

Now I don't have to spend so much time trying to manually fit Gen 9 hair and outfits to Gen 8! The clones do all the work. So far, it seems to work pretty well. I reccomend it!

Here is: Combat Uniform for Genesis 9. I picked this up for obvious reasons, I'm always rendering military stuff. The true negative for me, is that the uniform has the name Baker on every shirt. I get the idea that uniforms have the names sewn on, but not every character is "Baker" I wish the tag area had been left blank, or at the very least included that option. The hat is a bit funky. That is not the result of MMX though. Its just a bit taller than I'd like. 

z.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 653K
    edited May 2023

I used the new autofit utility to fit the Tactical Style outfit to Owen 8. It fits pretty well, but you have to tweak with the fit, there are parts that just get too big.

The sleeves in particular seem tube-like, which is a shame since they are highly visible.

I  found the pants kind of got distorted in the crotch area, when more action poses are applied like running or jumping.

There is a balaclava, but I left it off. Overal, despite some flaws I like it. 

Outfite3w.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M

Our familiar Owen 8 is back and looking good! Nice green laser there, too.

edited May 2023

The laser was part of the gun, it was Hershel Hoffmeyer's https://www.daz3d.com/harbinger-machine-pistol

Yeah, I think I prefer Genesis 8 Owen. I find Gen 9 overall disappointing and not to my taste, but I had to give it a go. 

It was worth experimenting with. As G9 matures as a product line, you may give it another chance. Or, stick with G8, which you have already perfected.

Serene, Just wondering: did you use Albane's texture for the G9 version of Owen, or something else?

edited May 2023

vwrangler said:

Serene, Just wondering: did you use Albane's texture for the G9 version of Owen, or something else?

Yes. Since Owen's skin has no pigment Albane's skin seeems to work.

edited May 2023

"Here, I won this for you." 

Don't ask me where it came from, I searched my runtime for "stuffed animal" and the fox in diapers came up. I thought it was cute. =-)

cute7.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,740

The fox is adorable but the finger placement is exceptional on both of the guys, and their love and enjoyment in each other rings true Serene Night. 

memcneil70 said:

The fox is adorable but the finger placement is exceptional on both of the guys, and their love and enjoyment in each other rings true Serene Night. 

Aww thanks. I made that pose so its nice to be appreciated. =-)

edited May 2023

Owen... Converted to Genesis 9. You saw it here first! Not sure what I did wrong. Going to have to go back and try it again

conversion.jpg
    735 x 840 - 76K

Serene Night said:

Owen... Converted to Genesis 9. You saw it here first! Not sure what I did wrong. Going to have to go back and try it again

I saw similar problems posted in the converter's commercial thread. I didn't buy the converter, but I'll be interested to see how he poses once you get the problem resolved. With no conversion of JCMs or MCMs, I would anticipate posing issues with strong morphs like your guys use. Keep us posted.

I will tinker a bit. I bought it specifically to convert Owen and Boyd and I'm not sure I want to spend so much energy trying to figure out which morphs are causing the issue. It appears some morphs are treated differently like full body morphs. I'll go in and root around.

edited May 2023

So I spent the last two days messing around wtih the character converter. The good news, is it does convert a fair number of the morphs I use to make Owen and Boyd. It did not however convert all, and I would say about 1/3 affected the rest of the body which forced me to eliminate them. 

This is what remained. I did try to find alternatives to the ones I used previously, but there wasn't always ones available.  There are still 1 or 2 that do affect the body, which I could not chuck. For some reason most of his shape comes from the small waist morph. I am not sure whats up with that, but when I tried to tone it down, his body becomes odd. So Owen will forever have a small waist until I figure that out.  Anyway, here is the best I could do with my current skill level for Gen 9 Owen.

OWen.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M

I think the new Gen 9 Owen is improved. I thought it was Gen 8 Owen at first, so you are definitely on the road to success.

It does look a lot more like Owen. I may not be able to get it perfect, but I may be able to get close for Gen 9.

I'm impressed at how close you got him to G8 Owen. I thought about getting the character converter, but I'm already hitting a level that makes me wary of morph bloat. All the characters I would want to transfer have a Lot of morphs to make their shapes. The only way I could do it without adding maybe a hundred or so morphs to G9 would be to do an OBJ export and reimport to G8, which would make G8 even worse -- and would make problems with the converter because they wouldn't have FHM or FBM files. I'm thinking about just getting the Material Suit and building very approximate shapes for the ones I might like to bring forward with the existing G9 morphs.

Or maybe I'll just leave them on G8 and start with new characters on G9. It's not as though G8 is going anywhere.

Can't seem to decide which way to go.

edited May 2023

I hear you, Owen and Boyd have at least 20-30 morphs apiece, and many of the face ones seem to alter the body so had to get the boot. I was able to find SOME of the comparable morphs within my already extensive G9 morph section. That said, some of the morphs I use could not be transferred, and the pecs and nipples still look really odd to me on the men. But it was better than what I could dial, so it was worth it.  At some point I will have to purge G9 female morphs. I think I have a million female breast morphs, and since I don't really render women often I think pulling them for now would be fine. 

The character converter does a good job of converting Characters such as Torment. M8, Darius etc. They aren't tons of little morphs like the custom characters are, so you aren't going to get too much in the way of bloat from them, but it is finicky and time consuming to test each morph to see if it will bring unwanted body parts with it, when you dial it in. It has taken me 2 days just to do Owen. I'll do Boyd next. 

There are mysterious things that happen as wellsuch as Owen's waist thin morph, which contains most of his body shape. I'm not sure thats supposed to happen.

As always, look forward to what you come up with whether its conversion or dialing.

improved