New DS Filament Render Engine

Comments

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited November 2020
    Tugpsx said:
    Skin looks very nice under the lighting conditions.Thanks for sharing.

Glad is helpul for someone, much appreciated! enlightened

Tugpsx said:

@Zilvergrafix thanks for the skin settings. Here is a quick test with Filament.

laugh welcome!, is he Trevor from GTAV?

Post edited by Zilvergrafix on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734
    edited November 2020

3Diva said:
    Tugpsx said:

If you render the image the floor grid won't show up. :) The renders with Filament only take a couple of seconds too, so there's not really a reason to do a screen capture vs rendering as far as I can tell. :)

The rendered images are 2Mb the screen grabs are only a few Kb. Switching the engine to iRay and then Octane to see how the skin would hold up. He is totally baked in iRay.

FilamentSkinTestiRay.JPG
    633 x 821 - 94K
    FilamentSkinTestiOctane.JPG
    719 x 783 - 53K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734
    Tugpsx said:
    Skin looks very nice under the lighting conditions.Thanks for sharing.

Glad is helpul for someone, much appreciated! enlightened

Tugpsx said:

laugh welcome!, is he Trevor from GTAV?

Custom character from photograph

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,409
    edited November 2020

Now Crowd billboards work well in Filament as long as they don't overlap. Overlapping caused some visual problems for some reason.

Urban Future 4 Filament.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited November 2020

Thanks @3Diva for the Filament File.  

Great renders everyone. 

Post edited by ChadCrypto on
  • ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

So many great renders and information in this thread.  Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

This is another quick animation experiment with the new DS Filament Render Engine in DAZ Studio. This time I played with dForce Strand Based Hair settings as well as using multiple figures and cameras. It rendered in 28 minutes for 330 frames in 1920 X 1080. I also added a little pixel motion blur in After Effects. The stock music is from https://www.free-stock-music.com/alexander-nakarada-off-to-war.html

This is awesome!  
    Well done sir, well done.

• So I think I am doing something wrong here, I am using the new Filament Skin shader shell and some base daz material, using workflows listed in this OP. But if you notice in the example below, I am getting a seam at the body part lines, even the arms and not just the legs. Also Gens mats seem to ignore the Geoshell sometimes leaving a very bumpy stock iray appearance. I am unsure as I think I had one character without any of these issues.. Maybe it is the material I am using is not very compatable? I've tried 3 or 4 different DS Original Mats for IRAY and still no luck on this so maybe it's the model? Either way has anyone run into this as well and found a workaround?

• I use Daz 14.4 for mac.

I was very interested in Filament rendering , So I updated to 14.4.

But I cannot find filament rendering setting in the viewport.

Is It available to mac now ?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,159
    ulicul said:

I use Daz 14.4 for mac.

I was very interested in Filament rendering , So I updated to 14.4.

But I cannot find filament rendering setting in the viewport.

Is It available to mac now ?

No, it's not available for mac right now.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,069

If anybody bought https://www.daz3d.com/spring-dynamics-for-daz-studio

could you please share your filament rendering animations.

I would like to know if it looks ok, or shall I still use only Unity for rendering animations.

Thanks in advance.

• Still playing, sometimes is needed to reduce textures near the Graphic Ram limits or is slow to move the viewport with Filament active.

I have only 6Gb video ram, scene is 5.975 got use Scene Optimizer Script and reduced textures to 2048px and resulting in 2.3Gb cool

• I have a character with iray decal wounds on him but they don't show up in Filament, only in Iray.

I was wondering if there is some setting I have to change or it really is not possible to use Iray decals with Filament.

• I have a character with iray decal wounds on him but they don't show up in Filament, only in Iray.

I was wondering if there is some setting I have to change or it really is not possible to use Iray decals with Filament.

Any special Iray features won't work in other render/draw engines - decals, section planes, or the advanced Iray node properties such as Matte.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited November 2020
    Artini said:

I would like to know if it looks ok, or shall I still use only Unity for rendering animations.

Thanks in advance.

There is some trial and error to get the parameters right (like I think I have the settings up too high in the following animation as there's quite a bit more breast movement than is necessary there), but all in all it's pretty straight forward and I REALLY like it! It's something I've been wanting to see in Daz Studio for quite some time! I think it will be a game-changer for animators! 

A very quick and dirty test of Spring Dynamics rendered with Filament (the animation is full of mistakes, but it's just a super quick test):

Spring Dynamics were added to the hair "fringe", as well as her Left and Right Pectoral. Again, I think I have the settings up too high, as there's a lot more movement than probably should be. But I do think that Spring Dynamics is pretty awesome and once I get the hang of what settings are best for what types of "bones" it will probably be something I use quite often!

EDIT: You'll want to be quite selective on what bones you use it on -and for goodness sake don't do what I did at first and apply it to like all the bones! lol Nightmare fuel, that was! lol

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • CriosCrios Posts: 2,723

Sorry. i've started now to read the thread, but i'm curios about a thing, is better user 3Delight shader or Iray shader for Filament?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    3Diva said:
    Artini said:

Thanks in advance.

There is some trial and error to get the parameters right (like I think I have the settings up too high in the following animation as there's quite a bit more breast movement than is necessary there), but all in all it's pretty straight forward and I REALLY like it! It's something I've been wanting to see in Daz Studio for quite some time! I think it will be a game-changer for animators! 

A very quick and dirty test of Spring Dynamics rendered with Filament (the animation is full of mistakes, but it's just a super quick test):

Spring Dynamics were added to the hair "fringe", as well as her Left and Right Pectoral. Again, I think I have the settings up too high, as there's a lot more movement than probably should be. But I do think that Spring Dynamics is pretty awesome and once I get the hang of what settings are best for what types of "bones" it will probably be something I use quite often!

EDIT: You'll want to be quite selective on what bones you use it on -and for goodness sake don't do what I did at first and apply it to like all the bones! lol Nightmare fuel, that was! lol

The hair looks great.  But yeah, that top isn't providing a lot of support. laugh

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,069
    3Diva said:
    Artini said:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot, 3Diva, to make a test of it. The results looks really promising.

• arbee999arbee999 Posts: 104
    3Diva said:

LOL - of course now I have to try that laugh

Thanks for posting

• khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146

Another Filament test for fun

cypk_city026_FilaCuberstreet.jpg
    1277 x 1000 - 223K
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    khorneV2 said:

Another Filament test for fun

Looks great;)

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,451

Where is the Filament Skin Shader Shell housed/kept? I've just been rendering skin as it is. 

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited November 2020
    Post edited by Zilvergrafix on
  • Using some of the products available for Filament

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited November 2020

This is a quick test using "Atmosphere for Filament", It only took 1 second to render.

I couldn't get the shadows from the directional light to show up with  "Atmosphere for Filament", so I just did two renders (one with it and one without it) and combined them in Photoshop.

desertOutpost02.jpg
    960 x 474 - 61K
    Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • edited November 2020

I decided to try animating in DS for the first time after Filament came out. I have an older graphics card and the idea of waiting three days for an iray render was beyond my level of patience. The results weren't perfect but I felt that at least animation is now a possibility, not an impossibility. I'm posting this, even though the animation needs some work (I didn't use Aniblocks or bvh, just keyframed it myself) in the hope that some questions might be answered:

1. I changed the line widths and gloss settings for the hair material. Dark hair seem to work okay, but the lighter hair shimmers or shows through. Hence the hats on the older gentlemen. Short of making everyone have black hair, is there a workaround for the transparency map issue? What line widths seem to be working for hair surfaces?

2. I need to include a still frame (seen below) at the end and hold it for several seconds. What's the best way to do this? Would it work to overlay the image on a keyframe, or would it be better to make a movie of the image and cut them together?

I'm very excited about the possibilities of Filament and hope that there is a commitment on the part of Daz to making it work within DS.

https://youtu.be/4GBgK0_2kyo

Movember-2-final-frame.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by acecombs_b317c01b8d on

This is a quick test using "Atmosphere for Filament", It only took 1 second to render.

I couldn't get the shadows from the directional light to show up with  "Atmosphere for Filament", so I just did two renders (one with it and one without it) and combined them in Photoshop.

Very cool! :D

edited November 2020

I decided to try animating in DS for the first time after Filament came out. I have an older graphics card and the idea of waiting three days for an iray render was beyond my level of patience. The results weren't perfect but I felt that at least animation is now a possibility, not an impossibility. I'm posting this, even though the animation needs some work (I didn't use Aniblocks or bvh, just keyframed it myself) in the hope that some questions might be answered:

1. I changed the line widths and gloss settings for the hair material. Dark hair seem to work okay, but the lighter hair shimmers or shows through. Hence the hats on the older gentlemen. Short of making everyone have black hair, is there a workaround for the transparency map issue? What line widths seem to be working for hair surfaces?

2. I need to include a still frame (seen below) at the end and hold it for several seconds. What's the best way to do this? Would it work to overlay the image on a keyframe, or would it be better to make a movie of the image and cut them together?

I'm very excited about the possibilities of Filament and hope that there is a commitment on the part of Daz to making it work within DS.https://youtu.be/4GBgK0_2kyo

That turned out great (the still frame image doesn't show up in your post, but the attachment is working). The still frame is seriously creepy! lol

As for how to get it in your animation - you should be able to add it like a regular frame with your video editor (unless you rendered out the animation as a video?). Most people who do animation in Daz Studio usually render out an Image Sequence (each frame rendered out as a single image) and then put them together in a video editor. This is beneficial for several reasons, one of which is that if DS crashes you don't lose all the work and can just relaunch Daz Studio and continue the rendering from the last frame rendered. 

BTW, the boy on the left with his mouth open - totally reminded me of my little brother when he was a kid. You nailed that "I have no idea what's going on, the adults just told me to stand here" expression. lol Excellent work!

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • 3Diva said:

I'm very excited about the possibilities of Filament and hope that there is a commitment on the part of Daz to making it work within DS.https://youtu.be/4GBgK0_2kyo

That turned out great (the still frame image doesn't show up in your post, but the attachment is working). The still frame is seriously creepy! lol

As for how to get it in your animation - you should be able to add it like a regular frame with your video editor (unless you rendered out the animation as a video?). Most people who do animation in Daz Studio usually render out an Image Sequence (each frame rendered out as a single image) and then put them together in a video editor. This is beneficial for several reasons, one of which is that if DS crashes you don't lose all the work and can just relaunch Daz Studio and continue the rendering from the last frame rendered. 

BTW, the boy on the left with his mouth open - totally reminded me of my little brother when he was a kid. You nailed that "I have no idea what's going on, the adults just told me to stand here" expression. lol Excellent work!

3diva,

Thanks for the suggestion about the image sequence. I'll try that when I've fixed some of the animation. And thanks for your comments-I'm glad you liked it.

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Those Now Crowd billboards work really well in your scene (which looks lively and very slice-of-life-like!). They really seem to fit tonally very well with the Filament render-engine's aesthetic, whereas some of those billboards don't always work as well visually, imho, in iray renders. Seeing how well they blend tonally might really open up wider demand for those products among Filament users.    PS: about your earlier posts of the UrbanFutur and the missing images/bits.... I wonder if those missing elements were decals or LIEs...maybe that's why they went AWOL?
       ~Gen

barbult said:

Now Crowd billboards work well in Filament as long as they don't overlap. Overlapping caused some visual problems for some reason.

barbult said:

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,409
    genaris said:

Those Now Crowd billboards work really well in your scene (which looks lively and very slice-of-life-like!). They really seem to fit tonally very well with the Filament render-engine's aesthetic, whereas some of those billboards don't always work as well visually, imho, in iray renders. Seeing how well they blend tonally might really open up wider demand for those products among Filament users.    PS: about your earlier posts of the UrbanFutur and the missing images/bits.... I wonder if those missing elements were decals or LIEs...maybe that's why they went AWOL?
       ~Gen

barbult said:

barbult said:

I didn't look for Iray decals and I didn't think about the possibility of LIE either. Thanks for the suggestions.That is something to check if I try that again. I don't think I've ever noticed a Stonemason product use LIE or Iray decals. He uses things he calls "decals" in the prop name, but they are just planes with cutout opacity as far as I can see.