Carrara =(DAZ studio+Bryce+Hexagon) to the nth degree

Right... nth! yes

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Applause... applauseenlightened

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,921

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

hop to it yes

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

Magaremoto - It does look very accurate. I think that normal interior lighting does have an even tendency - especially if the walls, ceiling and floor are light in shade. Photographers often use very intense lights in order to get the effects they're looking for along with special masks, reflectors and diffusers to help control the shot.

that is the funniest and more creative part of the whole, I am still firm on what the human eye "perceives" from the environment both outdoor and indoor in a coeherent way, primarily because I'm focusing on animations rather than stills, and I eventually want to do it in one single pass to speed up the workflow or the post production as well

this is my very first try with the 5thelement scene; as poinetd out many times, the carrara engine can be very flexible and tweakable with ease imho

Doc2.jpg
    2000 x 1440 - 191K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Great image stezza :) 

one last snowscene thing from me

happy holiday to those who celebrate.

snow tree wall path.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 510K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited December 2016

Just played around with Genesis 2 female in Carrara...

Happy holiday to all!

Snowgirl.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

pretty wink

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,276
    bigh said:

pretty wink

+1 yes

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,143

+2!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

+3 laugh

• Magaremoto - It does look very accurate. I think that normal interior lighting does have an even tendency - especially if the walls, ceiling and floor are light in shade. Photographers often use very intense lights in order to get the effects they're looking for along with special masks, reflectors and diffusers to help control the shot.

that is the funniest and more creative part of the whole, I am still firm on what the human eye "perceives" from the environment both outdoor and indoor in a coeherent way, primarily because I'm focusing on animations rather than stills, and I eventually want to do it in one single pass to speed up the workflow or the post production as well

this is my very first try with the 5thelement scene; as poinetd out many times, the carrara engine can be very flexible and tweakable with ease imho

Magaremoto,

I struggle getting even illumination in an interior scen like this. Can you provide some details on how it's lit and the render settings?

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited December 2016

Happy holidays ya all smiley

HappyHolidays.jpg
    1400 x 630 - 529K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2016

Happy holidays ya all smiley

You Too, FifthElement! yes

With every copy of Carrara 8.5 comes a beautiful Howie Farkes scene, this gorgeous Winter scene. 

Some wonder gifts from Daz3d helps to give it a whole new twist. 

Thanks So Much to All from Daz3d whom have made my Holiday so wonderfully CG! :)

Danie and Marforno, your Drake Tower kit is fantastic! I love the detailed tower and the poses are wonderful!

Design Anvil, your Dragon Trainer's Toolbox is Amazing! Useful far beyond my expectations!

Happy Holidays!!!

Well yeah he's proud... his 147th year in a row of being a Good Boy... so he knows Santa's coming tonight!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 2016

Merry Christmas and may your New Year be prosperous!

A slightly modified scene from Carrara Vista In The Clouds by 3DCelebrity.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Fantastic!

Magaremoto - It does look very accurate. I think that normal interior lighting does have an even tendency - especially if the walls, ceiling and floor are light in shade. Photographers often use very intense lights in order to get the effects they're looking for along with special masks, reflectors and diffusers to help control the shot.

Magaremoto,

I struggle getting even illumination in an interior scen like this. Can you provide some details on how it's lit and the render settings?

not easy to explain in few words; let's say we have to "feed" the GI within carrara with the right amount of light from the outside; in this case I added 2 emitting infinite plans, below and above the scene, to increase the global lighting; sun and area light as direct lights, and ambient and gamma to correct shadows and albedo on surfaces. I've been using caustics with 40 up to 100% filter size to tune up bounce lights and randomly a light haze to avoid albedo when i wanna increase the direct light to get more dramatic effects. Most of those tricks would be needless if we had PBR shaders, so this could be the actual challenge for photon mapping renderers

below a quick comparison between carara on the left and shade 3d on the right (dunno how to reduce noise in shade yet); the path tracing result has a more "photocamera" look whereas photon mapping gives an outcome closer to human eyes

Doc2.jpg
    500 x 307 - 18K
    shade.jpg
    2000 x 1264 - 159K

I tried a few different tests with lighting the scene, with both Carrara native and Octane. Attached is a Carrara one which rendered nicely (and actually a pretty similar result to Octane).  I put a plane right outside the window and set glow to 300% (using the 0-10000% slider - you can try higher if you need it brighter).  Make sure that the plane is facing the right way, the light is only emitted properly frommone side.  Set Ambient Brightness to zero, turn on Indirect Light in the render settings, using the default Full Indirect Lighting, 100% and set the Lighting Quality to Best (lower gives bloychy artifacts in this scene). No need to set Sky Lighting as there is no light coming from the "sky" or Background, all the light comes from the emissive plane, and it renders faster and cleaner than using background lighting in this case. Everything else can stay at defaults.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

FifthElementScene-CarraraMeshLight.jpg
    1280 x 550 - 49K

Phil, Great suggestion for the emisive plane and all the settings. Is there a way to turn the plane light into not visible by camera in order to place an outdoor scene behind it to give a hint of the outside or would that require postwork.

• wgdjohn said:

Phil, Great suggestion for the emisive plane and all the settings. Is there a way to turn the plane light into not visible by camera in order to place an outdoor scene behind it to give a hint of the outside or would that require postwork.

Maybe a shape light instead?

Shape lite might just work... haven't messed with them yet but makes sense.

wgdjohn said:

Yes, if you make the plane invisible, it will still emit light, so you can combine the lighting effect with still being able to see other scenary or a Background through the windows.  And if say you put an HDRI into the background, you can also turn Sky Lighting on to add the lighting from that to the light emitted from the plane.  You can of course tint the light from the plane by multplying the 0-10000% slider with a color, or a gradient, or an image, to give more interesting illumination!

Cool... thanks Phil.

thank you PhilW, you comfort me in showing how carrara can be very flexible and powerful

following my previous result with a soft and even illumination, normalized in post; as for the settings that I forgot to mention before, I used the area light with glow at 50% and the sun light at 80%. Render settings: gamma: 1.3, no sky light, IL 250%, caustics: intensity 40%, photon count 25000

1.jpg
    2000 x 1296 - 177K

Agghhh - I forgot to mention - setting Gamma Correction at 2.2!  I am so used to doing this now it has become second nature.  As I explain in my Realism Rendering course, it is at the core of turning Carrara's renderer into almost a different - and I think superior - renderer.  There are occasions when I turn it down a bit from 2.2, but for interior renders, using Gamma Correction is a must in my view. All physically based renderers use the equivalent of gamma correction at 2.2, so it is a bit of an industry standard, and I thank the original developers of Carrara that they included it all those years ago.

I love using shape lights and I love using Gamma Correction = 2.2

I made this for my Thank You Daz thread, but I really kinda like it, so I'm putting it here

Got the Shroom Castle for Christmas. Love this thing! Tossed it into Woodlands and messed around a bit ;)

I had my new Abominable for Genesis and the Wyvern 2.0, since I just got those for Christmas as well, but I liked the scene much better without the added clutter.

yes, great addition by developers indeed, like many other useful functions making of carrara a still alive tool; about the gamma 2.2 mantra, I would point out that most of the textures of the real world are being shot with a digital camera and therefore they have already a 2.2 gamma correction applied. This means that textures colors may be Gamma corrected twice. That's why images using photo textures may look washed out sometimes. As usual it's up to artists  tweak gamma correction accordingly or "de-gamma" textures as well

Yeah, when I was talking earlier about the 'even-ness' of some of the real-world style lighting/rendering, I didn't mean it as a bad thing.

In my recent studies, however, it has been getting emphasized that in the world of visual effects, it's best to not bust ones hump trying to recreate reality within a scene - but to make it believeable and intersting without too much effort. GI and IL are perfect for that, as they can be quickly set up - but they can be much more tricky if it comes to having to make very specific changes.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

yes, great addition by developers indeed, like many other useful functions making of carrara a still alive tool; about the gamma 2.2 mantra, I would point out that most of the textures of the real world are being shot with a digital camera and therefore they have already a 2.2 gamma correction applied. This means that textures colors may be Gamma corrected twice. That's why images using photo textures may look washed out sometimes. As usual it's up to artists  tweak gamma correction accordingly or "de-gamma" textures as well

Very true. In my current wip, one wall would always render "bleached" in DS, even though it looked perfectly fine rendered in Carrara. I spend ages trying to figure out why, until someone suggested gamma. That was the one texture in the project sourced from a 3rd party photographt site, and sure enough after it was de-gamma'd it rendered fine.

This discussion has been closed.