The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,591

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  What is it about partially snow covered ground that smells like Spring?  After several weeks of many inches of heavy icy snow blanketing the ground, it's finally melted down to small patches of thick snow and piles of snow where it was plowed, and large greenish patches where the compressed grass and weeds is seeing the light of day.  I walked outside to take the garbage to the can (first time I'd been outside in over 10 days) and there was a delightful smell/feeling of Spring.  Is it the rotting grass or the thawing dirt or the moisture in the air from the still melting snow?  Is it unseen buds on the trees?  Is it the temperature of 40 to 50F itself?  Whatever, I've noticed it all my life and it evokes very very old memories.yes

It certainly is nice, not having to stomp your way through the snow to the outhouse, can even take a newspaper along for the purpose it was published for.smiley

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

ice trays dont work when forgots to put the water in it.
    ice ice baby.  or not

kyoto kid said:

Mystiarra said: today. 

dont know if now is a good time to amtrak travel. 

...depends on how far you plan to travel.  Amtrak is observing social distancing, but schedules have been cut back and some service eliminated for the duration (for example the Empire Builder from the Northwest to Chicago used to be daily but now runs only three days a week) .If it's a long trip, it can be expensive unless you want to sit up in a coach seat for a couple days. Compartments are ridiculously expensive. I priced at rip back to Milwaukee from Portland for summer and with a compartment it's over 2,100$.  The round trip coach fare is only 376$ but the trip is 3 days and two nights long and meals are extra.  In comparison, airline First Class out of is between one third and one half that. 

doesnt seem they go to sioux falls.  i type sioux in destination, it gives me st cloud minnesota 

a mozarella salad without basil is a sad mozarella salad

my bossman called me.  the sound of my phone scared the bejeezus outta me.

McGyver said:

Complaint...

F*****g Apple... Urrrrrgh!... F**k them and their stupid Photos app... It's garbage wrapped in rotting garbage stuffed in a sack of soiled gorilla diapers that have been sitting in the sun in Arizona in June.
    I hate Photos with passion that transcends reasonable logic... it sucks and Apple insists on having you deal with it as the gatekeeper to your photos.

You used to be able to hook up your phone, open preview and direct the goddamn computer to transfer the pictures to any damn folder you want... or crappy iPhoto if you were into kinky self inflicted pain...

Now the moment you connect the phone to a Mac, it's like "oh no you don't, this is going straight to to Photo where you'll have to jump through hoops to sort this out"...

Forget doing that on a PC because it disconnects every few minutes, especially if you are doing a big .mov file... I so wanna go down to Cupertino with my favorite whacking shovel and express my discontent with those responsible for the aforementioned discontent.

This is literally a ten minute thing that so far has involved three computers, three operating systems and an hour and forty minutes of my time and I'm still not close to started because I'm now updating the OS on my MacBook to allow it to recognize the goddamn phone.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

doesnt let me copy mp3s from my pc to phone either.  if theres a way to hack into my own phone, havent found it yet  havent found a way to block the daily reminder to log in to appleid.  

i did find a hack to get the old win7 photo viewer in win10.  turnos out is brueid in the win10.  doesnt show unless viewing a tiff file .  found the way to stop the upgrade nag is to delete the upgrade file from storage.  even tho i have it set not to auto update and i'm set to metered data, it downloads that 4gb file ever so often.
    every time it updates it messes up my settings so badly, i have to call my phone service to fix it.  last time it broke caller id.  fix was to reset network settings.  time before that my phone stopped ringing incoming calls.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,239

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  What is it about partially snow covered ground that smells like Spring?  After several weeks of many inches of heavy icy snow blanketing the ground, it's finally melted down to small patches of thick snow and piles of snow where it was plowed, and large greenish patches where the compressed grass and weeds is seeing the light of day.  I walked outside to take the garbage to the can (first time I'd been outside in over 10 days) and there was a delightful smell/feeling of Spring.  Is it the rotting grass or the thawing dirt or the moisture in the air from the still melting snow?  Is it unseen buds on the trees?  Is it the temperature of 40 to 50F itself?  Whatever, I've noticed it all my life and it evokes very very old memories.yes

It certainly is nice, not having to stomp your way through the snow to the outhouse, can even take a newspaper along for the purpose it was published for.smiley

You wrap fish in the outhouse?surprise 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,591

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

At this age, all you have is memories and the scent brings back some blush 

Burn Notice is an educational show.  Scams lurk in every corner.  i'll never go on a date again.  eek

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

certaintree38 said:

McGyver said:

certaintree38 said:

That is a neat idea. I will try using aluminum foil over the lights and see if that helps. Maybe I can cover some of the lights and leave some alone (there are 12 on just the fans!) 

Those house elves won't know what hit them devil

The stuff that looks like aluminum foil in the picture is actually an adhesive backed foil used for sealing duct work... it's not regular aluminum foil... if you use aluminum foil, you'll have to back it with some sort of spray adhesive or double stick tape. 
    It's probably not worth going out and buying a $6 roll of the stuff (aluminum tape), but I figured sometimes people might have some in their homes if they have central heating and air conditioning and had to repair the ducts.

You could also use blue painters tape and color it black with a sharpie... that's fairly simple too. Just snip it into little squares poke a hole and stick it on.

By the way, if the House Elves are getting out hand, SC Johnson, the makers of Raid bug spray have a new formula "Elf & Gnome" which is pretty good good at knocking down a bunch of them at once if you have an infestation... it's much better than using the glue traps or baits... especially if you've had one croak in the walls and have had to either break open the wall or just tough it out until the stink goes away. 

is about the time for people to start spamming this thread.  page 98

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,033

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Where else would you do it?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,033

I dreamed I could walk through walls. I tried it when I woke up and I really can!

Have to use the doors or windows though...Page 98.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,632

Mystiarra said:

kyoto kid said:

Mystiarra said: today. 

dont know if now is a good time to amtrak travel. 

...depends on how far you plan to travel.  Amtrak is observing social distancing, but schedules have been cut back and some service eliminated for the duration (for example the Empire Builder from the Northwest to Chicago used to be daily but now runs only three days a week) .If it's a long trip, it can be expensive unless you want to sit up in a coach seat for a couple days. Compartments are ridiculously expensive. I priced at rip back to Milwaukee from Portland for summer and with a compartment it's over 2,100$.  The round trip coach fare is only 376$ but the trip is 3 days and two nights long and meals are extra.  In comparison, airline First Class out of is between one third and one half that. 

doesnt seem they go to sioux falls.  i type sioux in destination, it gives me st cloud minnesota 

...not really doable as the train gets into St Paul  too a little after 22:00 Sr. Paul (which is the only connecting point in Minnesota as there is no bus service from St. Cloud) to get a through bus connection without sitting around until 06:15 morning and then it's about a 5 hour bus ride.. You could go through Omaha but as that train arrives at 22:55, again you would have to sit overnight until 16:30 the next afternoon (the only bus to Sioux Falls from there)  for about a 3hr 15 min ride.

edited March 2021

Non-complaint:  Gooood mooooorning DAZland!  Spring has sprung, the grass is nearly bare, the Farenheits are in bloom, the mud is only ankle deep.  Payday is almost here (Wednesday) and I have money left over from last month.   Yay! 

To celebrate, I listened to the radio (classical station out of Buffalo. WNED Classical) and caught this beautiful 7 minutes, that I'd not heard in several months.  Floating, floating, on clouds of serenity. yes  (Don't miss the beginning (begins at 0:16).  Turn it up, the recording seems to be very low volume)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Mystiarra said:

is about the time for people to start spamming this thread.  page 98

Or... I could just write something about anything and that would take up most of the remaining space... 

If you folks want to fill in space, just throw me a topic and let's see where I take it...

...sun and 60° for today and tomorrow with mid 60s by Satruday. Then the wet retruns .Meanwhile a big blizzard ies heading towards the Rockies 

Wohhoo, finally get my first vaccination this afternoon.  If I lived on the other side of the Columbai River (Washington State) I'd have received my second by now.

...The Train Doesn't Go Where I Want To Go Complaint Thread.

edited March 2021

Here... it'll add this from something dumb I was writing...

Its a response to those "life hacks" friends send you or recommend...

Life Hacks...

• Sweater have annoying static cling?
    Stick an open bent up safety pin in it. The sharp point will poke holes in your flesh and the pain will distract you from the static cling!

• Got a pounding headache that just won’t go away?
    Take a lime, cut it in half, sprinkle salt on the cut halves and rub the lime in your eyes. You should instantly stop noticing your headache.

•When taking pills remember this: Take the pills out of the bottle before swallowing them.

•Want your perfume or cologne to last the entire evening? Don’t roll in the cat litter box before going out.

•Want to avoid cramps while running? 
    Don’t run. Laying on the sofa can prevent cramps. You’ll also avoid tripping and falling into a cobra filled pit and reduce the odds of being chased by wolves.

•If you cut your toenails underwater, you’ll avoid the clipping flying away, ricocheting around and poking someone’s eyes out.

•Holding a baby and afraid of dropping it? 
    Wrap duct tape sticky side out around the baby. The baby will be less likely to slip out of your hands and you can stick it wherever you need to so you don’t misplace it.

•Summer Tip: Avoid more bee stings by staying still, eventually the bees will get tired of stinging you and lose interest.

•Did you know that restaurants are required to give you free water? Keep this in mind the next time you catch on fire while shopping.

•You can eliminate the itchiness of a poison ivy rash by pouring a half ounce of vodka on the inflamed area and then drinking the rest of the bottle.

•Going to the beach? 
    Put your phone in a sandwich bag so the peanut butter you slathered on it stays fresh and free of sand.

•Need to remember to take something with you when you leave the house in the morning? 
    Put it in your shoes. When you put them on, the sharp pieces from the thing your foot just broke will remind you to take it that thing with you.

•Take advantage of unexpected power outages. It’s often a great time to get a good look at the night sky and the roaming wolves who’ve come down from the mountains to take advantage of the fall of mankind.

•If you visit a zoo, wear the same colors as the employees or steal one of their uniforms. The animals will come up to you instead of backing away when you break into their cages. It also makes it harder for the authorities to identify you if you kidnap a panda.

•Need to drill a large diameter hole through wood but you don’t have a forstner bit or spade bit?  
    Grab a squirrel and stuff it in a paper towel tube with its head sticking out at least one inch. Secure the squirrel with duct tape and mark the area you wish to excavate. 
    Aim the squirrel at the area and gently squeeze... in several hours it’ll have gnawed the area away and  you’ll have a perfectly sized hole!

•Sink clogged and you don’t have a plunger, but you have lots of dynamite left over from thanksgiving? 
    Place a lit stick of dynamite in the sink and the clog will go away like magic!

•Looking for a late night snack, but you are out of cereal and you really want something crunchy for your bowl of milk?
    Dry cat food makes an excellent substitute and it contains way less sugar than most cereals. 
    Plus the fishy salmon flavor will satisfy your appetite for late night seafood and help you sleep soundly!

•Surrounded by angry wild turkeys and you left your turkey whacker rod at home?
    Grab a chipmunk and tie it to a stick using your shoelace. 
    The chipmunk is the superior natural enemy of the wild turkey.
    When brandishing it about at the end of a stick, its icy stare and fierce disposition will send the turkeys running in panic. 
    When you are done, the chipmunk stick makes a handy back scratcher.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited March 2021

Post edited by kyoto kid on

PSA...

With the increase in vaccine availability, we may soon be looking at a return to some semblance of normalcy... bad use of the word, but you get what I mean... although it is a ways off, I just thought I'd throw this out there so people can keep this in mind when things get exciting and everyone goes running outside licking strangers and park benches...

Your Nose Hairs.

Your nose hairs have probably been running rampant and unchecked for months and you may want to start reining them in before it gets crazy and you go outside and frighten the elderly and small children.

Also fluffy luxurious leg hair that's been keeping you warm during winter... depending on how attached you are to keeping this sleek layer of fur, it also may be time to reevaluate its visual social appeal.

Thats all folks.

Just something to think about.

i havent been to fire island in 40 years.  puts a little perspective on the decades.
    not long enough to forget the V hamster scene

Mystiarra said:

i havent been to fire island in 40 years.  puts a little perspective on the decades.

Was Fire Island still made of fire when you last went there?... it's never on fire when I go there... and despite my trying, it's not as flammable as one may think.

V Hamsters... not just for breakfast anymore.

I think they were going to reboot V... I wonder what happened to that?

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    edited March 2021

@LeatherGryphon Thank you for the good morning music. It was a pleasant way to wake up. 

I had detailed dreams last night and now I have another visual novel idea, this time about snarky high schoolers. I have no idea why I'm dreaming about high school. It was a long time ago and I didn't get bullied by the popular kids or have elaborate dramas with the snarky boys, like what happened in my dream. Mostly, I hung out with the (very tame and quiet) alt kids and only got into (ridiculous) fights with my girlfriends about boys: "Jeremy shouldn't be dating other girls! He was supposed to wait for me!"..."Katie, please tell me you're joking? You're dating Justin!".. and so on.    

Anyway, I wrote it down and put it on the stack of "ideas to work on."

Makes me want to skip the things in the queue and get to making mock-ups for all the characters. And to be fair, that's probably what I will do. I will work feverishly on it for a week, and then move on to something else, and nothing will ever get finished... sigh. 

Also, I can't wait to lick strangers again. devil

*Edited to clarify how silly Katie was. 

Post edited by Sera on

McGyver said:

Mystiarra said:

Was Fire Island still made of fire when you last went there?... it's never on fire when I go there... and despite my trying, it's not as flammable as one may think.

40 years ago fire island was famous as a gay vacation hotspot.  when the ferry was off season, could only get there by private boat. 

edited March 2021

certaintree38 said:

@LeatherGryphon Thank you for the good morning music. It was a pleasant way to wake up. 

I had detailed dreams last night and now I have another visual novel idea, this time about snarky high schoolers. I have no idea why I'm dreaming about high school. It was a long time ago and I didn't get bullied by the popular kids or have elaborate dramas with the snarky boys, like what happened in my dream. Mostly, I hung out with the (very tame and quiet) alt kids and only got into (ridiculous) fights with my girlfriends about boys: "Jeremy shouldn't be dating other girls! He was supposed to wait for me!"..."Katie, please tell me you're joking? You're dating Justin!".. and so on.    

Anyway, I wrote it down and put it on the stack of "ideas to work on."

Makes me want to skip the things in the queue and get to making mock-ups for all the characters. And to be fair, that's probably what I will do. I will work feverishly on it for a week, and then move on to something else, and nothing will ever get finished... sigh. 

Also, I can't wait to lick strangers again. devil

*Edited to clarify how silly Katie was. 

Thank you for the thank you.smiley

I pop in here occasionally trying to remind (or expose) people of (to) music that doesn't cause nervous tics or lead to depressive alcoholism or endanger one's hearing.  Five hundred years of development of music making techniques, and technology.  Out of those 500 years the vast majority of it, like 90% of all man's creations, was crap and is thankfully forgotten.  Only the best floats through the morass and survives or is rediscovered centuries later.  It becomes classic.  It's something that speaks to each generation.  Disregarding the labels given to it by the pontificators and the self-righteous opinions of academia, the music speaks for itself.  Personally I find the era that speaks best to me is the period from Beethoven (early 1800's) to Rachmaninoff early/middle 1900's.  There was a lot of crap during that period too but the pieces still played in concert halls is the cream of the crop.  It has become classic.  Most of what we hear on the radio/TV/movies in the present is still crap and in the future will be forgotten or relegated to dusty shelves or fading digital bits in some obscure virtual museum.  But some of it, a small percentage might someday also become classic.  And the surviving pieces will be those that speak to the universal inner longings of the future listeners.indecision

edited March 2021

Mystiarra said:

McGyver said:

Mystiarra said:

40 years ago fire island was famous as a gay vacation hotspot.  when the ferry was off season, could only get there by private boat. 

For some reason, I thought fire island was a party island for sexually adventurous people. I'm talking really wild, giant parties with thousands of people in skimpy outfits. But I can't find anything to back this up. I wonder where I got that idea? 

@LeatherGryphon I love classical music and preferred it when I was younger. Lately, I find myself listening to vulgar young women who are not super popular. I also find myself wondering what people will think of our culture/art/language 100 or 200 years from now, but mostly I think about what misconceptions our tv and movies will give them. 

Post edited by Sera on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,346
    edited March 2021

certaintree38 said:

I question the wisdom of putting RGB in all our electronics. How am I supposed to sleep on nights when I have a render going? It looks like a carnival midway in here.

Edit: Ignore me as I didn't read far enough down the thread to see what lights you were talking about.

As to the Mochi, lots of recipes on youtube for making your own, you could try that and save money.

Music...let me see...

I have 6 different nationalities, French, German, English, Scottish, Native and Spanish, lets see what I can find for you.

A Tribe Called Red take traditional native music and put a modern spin on it, which I really like

Indila has a beautiful french song I love.

SIDH puts a modern spin on the Scottish Highland Bagpipes. Great listening while doing housework lol.

Johann Patchebel's Canon in D is a favorite of mine and is german.

Francisco Tárrega - Capricho árabe is a beautiful piece done on the spanish guitar that I love.

The final one from England, well there's a whole list of people from there I love listening to, such as the late David Bowie, Sir Elton John, Paul McCartney, Kate Bush, so many. In the interest of saving space lol I will pick

Robbie Williams and his hit Party Like A Russian

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
    edited March 2021

I have so many questions about "Party like a Russian," but it's late and the music video is strangely captivating, so I won't complain (about his suit, for example).

I need the house elves that have been licking my electronics to come take my phone away at 1 am each night so I can fix my sleep schedule. But I've alienated them with the whole hot sauce thing.

I went to look up the current price on some hair shaders that I have been wanting, only to see that I already bought them a couple of weeks ago. Must have made 6 renders or more since then, none of them with the benefit of the improved hair colors. Kicking myself as a result. That's the problem with March Madness and shopping at midnight: by the next morning there's a flash sale that demands to be investigated and last night seems like a distant memory.

I'm seriously worried that I will forget about the hair shaders in the morning (I discovered them around midnight) and I can't find my post it notes. So I'm going to make an alarm to remind me around 1pm.

Elleque on Sharecg has a new freebie I want to remember to download as well. It's an outfit for Walther, who is also free and looks pretty amazing. I was going to do it today, but obviously I forgot. Hence the alarms. If this doesn't work, I'm getting a tattoo gun and a Polaroid camera.

Ok... Sorry for rambling. I'm off to try a sleep meditation thing. If only ASMR worked on me...

Post edited by Sera on
    edited March 2021

Mystiarra said:

McGyver said:

Mystiarra said:

Technically, it was mostly Cherry Grove which held that distinction in the 70s and 80s, with other towns having distinctions for partying, dining, touristie crap, beach nudity or snootiness... Actually, you can drive to Robert Moses Beach (which is on Fire Island) via the Robert Moses causeway in (between West Bay Shore and West Islip) and you can walk or bike the length of the island up to the Pelican Island outlet (or Old Outlet) near Belport where the island was split by one of the hurricanes (maybe Diane?), at one point the island connected to Smith Point, but I'm not sure when the outlet was opened as in the past they used to fill the breeches but at some point they stopped because it was screwing up the natural water flow and causing flooding.

Most people don't realize that the Robert Moses recreational area is actually on Fire Island because you can only drive as far as a couple of blocks before the lighthouse and the area looks abandoned past that point... but if you walk a mile or two past that along Burma Road, you start to come across the small towns that dot the island... I think Kismet is the first one.

To me, I think the island is nice, but if you've seen one mile of it, you've seen it all... it's really most interesting when there are huge waves or a couple of days after a big storm when all the storm debris from down south starts to wash ashore... Sometimes there are sea turtles, dolphins out in the water or unique birds to be seen, but that's a total crap shoot... mostly it's just sand, reeds and water and possibly a random naked old dude the further East you get.

I don't know if you ever went to the OBI, but I just found out recently that the Dolphin and Whale statues survived and are displayed at Danford's on the Bay in Port Jefferson... I thought they looked familiar.

the OBI or Oak Beach Inn to anyone not familiar with it, was the last and only real party hotspot of Long Island in the 70s and 80s and was sold and torn down in the 90s. 

Post edited by McGyver on
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689

Q: Which part of "Don't recommend channel"  doesn't YouTube understand ?

A: Don't

edited March 2021

I remember hearing songs on the radio from the '40s when I was very young.  I even had an electric portable 78 RPM record player with a bunch of records from my parents era.  I used to play "How Much Is that Doggie In the Window" sung by Patti Page, a lot. (see below)  Not a kids song per se but it was one of my favorites.  I also had typical kids records of the time.  Usually made from red or yellow vinyl.  Then one day I discovered in my grandmothers attic, an old windup Victrola from the '20s with a cabinet full of old, thick, shellac records.  A lot of crap music, but there were some classical pieces in large heavy (for a kid) beautifully bound multi-platter albums.  It takes a lot of platters at 3 minutes per side, to record a 40 minute symphony!  But it was different than anything else I'd heard my whole short life.  It was fascinatingly beautiful.surprise

Moving on a few years to the early '60s and I'm a just new young teenager and I have my own bedroom and my own clock radio that I would listen to in bed on Sunday night at very low volume.  The local station would play classical music late Sunday night and I made sure I was in bed in time to hear it.smiley

When I got to college I scrimped and saved to buy build-it-yourself electronic kits of separate pre-amplifier, amplifier, and a tuner.  And then to get the precious high quality (real wood case) AR speakers, Koss headphones, and AR manual turntable and a Shure elliptical diamond needle cartridge (ooh, pricey!surprise) and my few precious LP records.  Not many records, but that was the start of my collection.  I'd put on a record and start my homework in the dorm listening to 15 minutes of music then get up and flip the record to hear the other side and repeat over and over for hours.  My favorite was Dvorak's 9th Symphony (the "New World Symphony").heart

Now I have several storage boxes packed full of classical CDs.  Yeah I know, CDs are as old now as shellac records were in the 50s, but not really.  30 year old CDs still sound fabulous and the old Shellac LPs played with a thorn or steel needle, on a spring driven wind-up turntable sounded terrible by comparison. frown  Yet through that rumbling, fluttering, scratchy terribleness the beauty of the music came through.indecision

Patti Page, popular in the '40s & early '50s. Don't laugh.angry

This discussion has been closed.