The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    edited March 2021

Mystiarra said:

its Sunday i think.

dunno what to do today.  cant decide if is a Aerosmith day or Johnny Cash.

The Lorenzo Lamas spell is broken.  up to the 5th season of renegade.  he makes no progress, there is absolutely no character arc.  frustrating.

The game of thrones sudden deaths kept it lively lol.

Sam Beckit is still out there leaping.  are the sliders still sliding?  peeked at the last episode.  didnt see Quin.

how did star trek voyager series finale end?  did they make it home?

is Wesley Crusher still out there?  he like evolved or something?

i'd prolly watch game of thrones again.  battlestar galactica was too depressing to watch again.

they should all have movies like how Serenity gave closure to Firefly.

Sliders... I think they all morphed into different looking characters when they ended up in a universe where all the writers sucked and had never read anything science fiction and only ever read IKEA furniture assembly instructions which resulted in all the members of the Slider team turning into Skräphogög bookcases which fell apart when a strong breeze passed over them. Tragically only Rembrandt survived because he was able to inject himself with a Kromag killing virus and make the writers think he was actually dead.

Wesley Crusher evolved to the point where he ended up going back in time to the early 21st century where he pretended to be a former child actor who befriendeds a group of nerdy scientists trying to figure out the meaning behind the Big Bang Theory.

Battlestar Galactica was depressing?... I thought it was actually a musical comedy... hmm... that changes everything.

Apparently they are rebooting the reboot or rebooting the preboot... it's not clear, but according to Sam Emu, or Email or Esmil... the guy who will surely further blur everyone's memory of whatever went before, the new series will "explore a new story within the mythology, while staying true to the spirit of battlestar galactica"... which in Hollywood speak means we are too lazy to bother to make a decent stab at writing anything good, so it'll probably suck and have nothing to do with anything but it will make vague references to something battlestar galacticaish thus giving it a financial connection to the franchise and ensuring a predictable number of the fan base will accept it regardless of how badly it will suck.

Or it might not suck... who knows, but once I hear someone say something like that, I just assume that my previous statement will prove accurate.

Every time someone announces a reboot or sequel and says something like "We are exploring new directions within the scope of the brilliant world of (whatever franchise) and are going to take a bold new direction defining the characters and ideas developed by the original story while forging an equally daring mythology for this new project", I know they never even watched one episode, don't like science fiction, movies or writing and only briefly glanced at the script title while drunk at a party.

But who knows, I'm overly jaded and malcontent, and that's just my opinion.

I like stuff nobody else enjoys... which reminds me, if anyone here works for the Pop Tart corporation, and is looking for new flavors... Blueberry-Shrimp Cocktail is not as good a combination as one might think... I just ate some shrimp and a package of blueberry Pop Tarts and the aftertaste is... "uniquely unpleasant"... and not in a good way... but not as bad as the Calamari and Peanut Butter granola bar combo.

Post edited by McGyver on

Is anyone else seeing this happen... you visit a thread, read a few comments and then when you come back there are new comments in between the ones you've already read before, that weren't there when you last looked... like I've seen a few posts that made no sense and figured whatever the person was replying to was removed or deleted, but then a few minutes later a post appears directly above that comment and it now makes sense...

I'm not referring to sequential posts... like post 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, and there is no 40, I'm talking you see post 34, 36, 38, and 40 then after a few minutes you go back and 35, 37 and 39 have showed up where they belong.

Something freaky is going on.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,587

McGyver said:

Is anyone else seeing this happen... you visit a thread, read a few comments and then when you come back there are new comments in between the ones you've already read before, that weren't there when you last looked... like I've seen a few posts that made no sense and figured whatever the person was replying to was removed or deleted, but then a few minutes later a post appears directly above that comment and it now makes sense...

I'm not referring to sequential posts... like post 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, and there is no 40, I'm talking you see post 34, 36, 38, and 40 then after a few minutes you go back and 35, 37 and 39 have showed up where they belong.

It takes longer time for the message to be delivered, the further one lives from Daz HQ 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,106

McGyver said:

I think that maybe the post number is assigned as soon as one begins a post.  But if you're quicker, a faster typer, or have less to say, your post may appear before they finish theirs.   Just a guess, of course.

Dana

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

McGyver said:

Mystiarra said:

its Sunday i think.

dunno what to do today.  cant decide if is a Aerosmith day or Johnny Cash.

The Lorenzo Lamas spell is broken.  up to the 5th season of renegade.  he makes no progress, there is absolutely no character arc.  frustrating.

The game of thrones sudden deaths kept it lively lol.

Sam Beckit is still out there leaping.  are the sliders still sliding?  peeked at the last episode.  didnt see Quin.

how did star trek voyager series finale end?  did they make it home?

is Wesley Crusher still out there?  he like evolved or something?

i'd prolly watch game of thrones again.  battlestar galactica was too depressing to watch again.

they should all have movies like how Serenity gave closure to Firefly.

Sliders... I think they all morphed into different looking characters when they ended up in a universe where all the writers sucked and had never read anything science fiction and only ever read IKEA furniture assembly instructions which resulted in all the members of the Slider team turning into Skräphogög bookcases which fell apart when a strong breeze passed over them. Tragically only Rembrandt survived because he was able to inject himself with a Kromag killing virus and make the writers think he was actually dead.

Wesley Crusher evolved to the point where he ended up going back in time to the early 21st century where he pretended to be a former child actor who befriendeds a group of nerdy scientists trying to figure out the meaning behind the Big Bang Theory.

Battlestar Galactica was depressing?... I thought it was actually a musical comedy... hmm... that changes everything.

Apparently they are rebooting the reboot or rebooting the preboot... it's not clear, but according to Sam Emu, or Email or Esmil... the guy who will surely further blur everyone's memory of whatever went before, the new series will "explore a new story within the mythology, while staying true to the spirit of battlestar galactica"... which in Hollywood speak means we are too lazy to bother to make a decent stab at writing anything good, so it'll probably suck and have nothing to do with anything but it will make vague references to something battlestar galacticaish thus giving it a financial connection to the franchise and ensuring a predictable number of the fan base will accept it regardless of how badly it will suck.

Or it might not suck... who knows, but once I hear someone say something like that, I just assume that my previous statement will prove accurate.

Every time someone announces a reboot or sequel and says something like "We are exploring new directions within the scope of the brilliant world of (whatever franchise) and are going to take a bold new direction defining the characters and ideas developed by the original story while forging an equally daring mythology for this new project", I know they never even watched one episode, don't like science fiction, movies or writing and only briefly glanced at the script title while drunk at a party.

But who knows, I'm overly jaded and malcontent, and that's just my opinion.

I like stuff nobody else enjoys... which reminds me, if anyone here works for the Pop Tart corporation, and is looking for new flavors... Blueberry-Shrimp Cocktail is not as good a combination as one might think... I just ate some shrimp and a package of blueberry Pop Tarts and the aftertaste is... "uniquely unpleasant"... and not in a good way... but not as bad as the Calamari and Peanut Butter granola bar combo.

Wesly went to big bang theory?  kewl.  shelden and blossom made for a cute couple. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,237
    edited March 2021

It's my opinion that too many people spend too much time obsessing over irrelevant details in fictional universes, and not learning enough of, and being in, the only non-fictional one.  Experts in trivia, re-inventing old movies and TV shows, and playing the "what-if" game, memorizing plots, declaring what is canon, complaining about canon violations, morphing the canon to somehow appear smarter than the original author.  Its all vacuous flummery. 

I think Shatner had it right when he said "Get a life".

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Mystiarra said:

what was the pizza movie, ordering anchovies was code?  wasnt john cusack.  was early 80s i think.
    omg is a niggle in my brain

Loverboy 1989 

looks like there some reasonable pet friendly rentals in sioux falls.  the web pages making my eyes water.  cant find fireplace under amenities search.  all i want from life these days is to sit by a warm fireplace.  still incredulous is 30 degrees warmer in south dakota than it is in huntington.

i should checl they have paratransit.  i taking it for granted every county has it.

when they see i'm too blind to sign a lease by myself, i wonder if i'm going to run into descrimination. 

my insulin pen isnt making the clicking noise.  i cant afford to throw the whole pen out over it.

kyoto kid said:

...ugh...

I had to look up what Franked Mail was. Still don't entirely understand. Sounds complicated. 

Last night was fun. Our friends can't handle VR but we listened to music and had a good time.

Now they want to get together again next weekend, this time for an Asian themed pot-luck. 

The problem with pot-luck when you're a vegetarian is that you can't eat anything other people bring and you still have to bring a dish. My other problem with pot-lucks is that I don't like to cook. So I can bring homemade tofu fried rice, but then I'd have to cook it. And I'd be stuck with just the one dish. 

Made the mistake of mentioning mochi, but it's $20 to get enough for everyone and I already sold my financial soul to Daz. The tofu fried rice is going to cost $10. 

Maybe I'll get lucky, and something will come up and the dinner will get canceled. I'd rather socialize through a computer screen anyway. 

certaintree38 said:

kyoto kid said:

...ugh...

I had to look up what Franked Mail was. Still don't entirely understand. Sounds complicated. 

Unless I'm mistaken as well as insane, I think it's like metered mail... where an official machine in one's possession prices the postage and prints out a label that acts like a postage stamp.

We still use franked mail in the US, but as far as I know, it's only for intergovernmental use... like say between congressional offices.

You can make your own Franked Mail by soaking a letter in luke warm hot dog water overnight... whatever you do, don't use NYC hot dog cart water, the rat feces content is too high and the liquid will probably dissolve the paper if left in it for more than three minutes.

edited March 2021

Subtropic Pixel said:

McGyver said: 

You built a house for a mouse.  Is this really your daughter?  Are you planning to pour a concrete slab, or maybe partially bury a standard cinder block so that she can have a basement too?  What about a pool?  And electrical, plumbing, and tiny little toilets with sewage hookup.  And termite protection?  Oh, and are you going to pay the property taxes on this estate you're building?  You should make sure she's got property insurance and liability insurance too, just in case a horse steps down through the floorboard into the basement and breaks his leg, necessitating an urgent euthanization.  Will she be going to mouse college?  Dormitory, or off-campus housing?  Don't forget the health care insurance, a doctor, dentist, optometrist, and maybe even a retirement fund.  What about old age care?  I wonder if there are retirement communities for elderly mice.

Is it possible that all this complexity is why some people just use rat poison?  wink

Well, I thought about what you said, and I decided you were right...

I added the cinder block basement and installed a tiny wood burning fireplace as well as tiny nuclear generator so she could have power... Apparently PSEG won't hook up a mouse house to the grid, which is kinda speciesist if you ask me, and they keep hanging up every time I call... who cares because it was hard to get the breaker box up to code anyway and the ones that come with nuclear reactors for space probes have their own built in... 

I used a full sized cinder block so I could fit the reactor under the patio/driveway and when I install the septic system, it will give me something solid to attach the septic tank to... it also has a nice game room and tiny wine cellar as well being reinforced in case of a tornado... and of course the whole lower area/basement will be buried, so what you are seeing is how it is before it's delivered to the site...

Also as you can see from the cozy blue glow, the TV is working and I hooked it up to Dish Network (on roof) because the cable company also hangs up on you when you inquire about mouse related equipment requirements.

I thought about what you said about sending her to college and I realized when she get her acceptance letter from Suffolk County Community College, there was nowhere for them to leave the letter, so now she has a mailbox...

Also, she'll need a car to get there so I hooked up a R/C unit to this janky old Monte Carlo so she can learn to drive... mostly she just crashes into the refrigerator or flips it over turning too fast, but when she finally learns to not crash constantly, I'll upgrade her to a nice little Mercedes Benz M class SUV she seems to like... I was thinking of giving her one of the Porsches, but they suck on forest floors and with the M class she'll have room for her family when she has one...

Realistically, a modified drone would make more sense, but I'm not going through training rodents to fly again... after that fiasco with the squirrels and hamsters I trained to reenact the battles of Midway and Leyte Gulf I'm not dealing with the stupid authorities complaining again. 
    If you want historical accuracy, the torpedoes have to be working scale units and yes, some geese will get torpedoed if they are in the way of the Japanese fleet and the tiny little Avenger torpedo bombers are committed to a run... and yes, fires will get started when stupid hamsters shoot each other down over a gazebo in the park, but that's realism, and that's how kids get an appreciation of history and fire... it's not my fault if they are too scared of the explosions and stray anti aircraft fire.

Anyway...

Thanks for the ideas and if I have the time, I'll add updates on any upgrades I install.

yul brenner bot scarier than a zombie.  zombies are supposed to be slow.  no fair if mummies and zombies are fast.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

McGyver said:

Thanks for the ideas and if I have the time, I'll add updates on any upgrades I install.

Where did you hide the A/C uit? Basement too?

I have decided I am going to ignore 8.1 and pretend it doesn't even exist. I see no reason for the splt, the only difference seems to be the face rig. That could have been just as easily an addon for G8 instead of forking the figure and breaking scripts/plugins for G8 figures. Maybe one day will change me mind, kinda doubt it though.

edited March 2021

Mystiarra said:

yul brenner bot scarier than a zombie.  zombies are supposed to be slow.  no fair if mummies and zombies are fast.

I saw the original Night of the Living Dead again recently and I had forgotten the zombies are mostly just poorly coordinated cannibals with a bad complexion... one of them even uses a rock to break a car window to try and eat one of the characters... what the hell is that?... There's no tool using in Zombieville...

They don't exactly run (TNOTLD zombies) but they do stumble around pretty quickly... the whole movie kinda made me concerned about my zombie knowledge.

What if they can use bicycles or e-scooters? Why wasn't that covered...?

I think TWD really dropped the ball on that one... but after the first season I was pretty much more invested in the zombies than the stupid living people anyway, the zombies were all more likable until I realized they were also pretty bad at what they were doing and I gave up on the whole thing. 

McGyver said:

Mystiarra said:

I saw the original Night of the Living Dead again recently and I had forgotten the zombies are mostly just poorly coordinated cannibals with a bad complexion... one of them even uses a rock to break a car window to try and eat one of the characters... what the hell is that?... There's no tool using in Zombieville...

They don't exactly run (TNOTLD zombies) but they do stumble around pretty quickly... the whole movie kinda made me concerned about my zombie knowledge.

I think TWD really dropped the ball on that one... but after the first season I was pretty much more invested in the zombies than the stupid living people anyway, the zombies were all more likable until I realized they were also pretty bad at what they were doing and I gave up on the whole thing. 

the big zombie question is do they poop?  they eat. or is it like cookie monster and the brains crumbs fly around 

yuck.  renmembering the orc feeding franzy scene in lotr ii when the sausage links went flying

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,106

McGyver said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

McGyver said: 

You built a house for a mouse.  Is this really your daughter?  Are you planning to pour a concrete slab, or maybe partially bury a standard cinder block so that she can have a basement too?  What about a pool?  And electrical, plumbing, and tiny little toilets with sewage hookup.  And termite protection?  Oh, and are you going to pay the property taxes on this estate you're building?  You should make sure she's got property insurance and liability insurance too, just in case a horse steps down through the floorboard into the basement and breaks his leg, necessitating an urgent euthanization.  Will she be going to mouse college?  Dormitory, or off-campus housing?  Don't forget the health care insurance, a doctor, dentist, optometrist, and maybe even a retirement fund.  What about old age care?  I wonder if there are retirement communities for elderly mice.

Is it possible that all this complexity is why some people just use rat poison?  wink

Well, I thought about what you said, and I decided you were right...

I added the cinder block basement and installed a tiny wood burning fireplace as well as tiny nuclear generator so she could have power... Apparently PSEG won't hook up a mouse house to the grid, which is kinda speciesist if you ask me, and they keep hanging up every time I call... who cares because it was hard to get the breaker box up to code anyway and the ones that come with nuclear reactors for space probes have their own built in... 

I used a full sized cinder block so I could fit the reactor under the patio/driveway and when I install the septic system, it will give me something solid to attach the septic tank to... it also has a nice game room and tiny wine cellar as well being reinforced in case of a tornado... and of course the whole lower area/basement will be buried, so what you are seeing is how it is before it's delivered to the site...

Also as you can see from the cozy blue glow, the TV is working and I hooked it up to Dish Network (on roof) because the cable company also hangs up on you when you inquire about mouse related equipment requirements.

I thought about what you said about sending her to college and I realized when she get her acceptance letter from Suffolk County Community College, there was nowhere for them to leave the letter, so now she has a mailbox...

Also, she'll need a car to get there so I hooked up a R/C unit to this janky old Monte Carlo so she can learn to drive... mostly she just crashes into the refrigerator or flips it over turning too fast, but when she finally learns to not crash constantly, I'll upgrade her to a nice little Mercedes Benz M class SUV she seems to like... I was thinking of giving her one of the Porsches, but they suck on forest floors and with the M class she'll have room for her family when she has one...

Realistically, a modified drone would make more sense, but I'm not going through training rodents to fly again... after that fiasco with the squirrels and hamsters I trained to reenact the battles of Midway and Leyte Gulf I'm not dealing with the stupid authorities complaining again. 
    If you want historical accuracy, the torpedoes have to be working scale units and yes, some geese will get torpedoed if they are in the way of the Japanese fleet and the tiny little Avenger torpedo bombers are committed to a run... and yes, fires will get started when stupid hamsters shoot each other down over a gazebo in the park, but that's realism, and that's how kids get an appreciation of history and fire... it's not my fault if they are too scared of the explosions and stray anti aircraft fire.

Anyway...

laugh

Maybe a picnic table in the back yard!  With an umbrella.  But then, it would need a back yard.  And maybe a BBQ.

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,630

Mystiarra said:

looks like there some reasonable pet friendly rentals in sioux falls.  the web pages making my eyes water.  cant find fireplace under amenities search.  all i want from life these days is to sit by a warm fireplace.  still incredulous is 30 degrees warmer in south dakota than it is in huntington.

i should checl they have paratransit.  i taking it for granted every county has it.

when they see i'm too blind to sign a lease by myself, i wonder if i'm going to run into descrimination. 

my insulin pen isnt making the clicking noise.  i cant afford to throw the whole pen out over it.

...when I checked to see if they even had a transit system, yes they do have paratransit.  

edited March 2021

McGyver said:

Mystiarra said:

...with all the e-scooters I find littered about the neighbourhood, either left standing or laying in the middle of the sidewalk, at crosswalks and even in front of building entrances, it seems zombies or other some other form of brainless beings have been putting them to use.

Or maybe it's alien abductions.. 

Or some kind of quantum event.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited March 2021

....as to Misty's Star Trek questions earlier:

Regarding Wesley Crusher, in the ST-TNG universe, the character ended up reappearing in Star Trek Nemesis having been assigned to Capt. Riker's ship however the scene was cut before the film's release. 

In the final episode of ST Voyager titled Endgame, the ship and crew did manage to make it back to the Alpha Quadrant with a bit of "Deus ex Machina" time travel involved.

...The Time Travel As A Plot Device In Star Trek Is Overused Complaint Thread 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited March 2021

kyoto kid said:

Mystiarra said:

...when I checked to see if they even had a transit system, yes they do have paratransit.  

and there are waterfalls there 

Post edited by Mistara on

kyoto kid said:

....as to Misty's Star Trek questions earlier:

Regarding Wesley Crusher, in the ST-TNG universe, the character ended up reappearing in Star Trek Nemesis having been assigned to Capt. Riker's ship however the scene was cut before the film's release. 

In the final episode of ST Voyager titled Endgame, the ship and crew did manage to make it back to the Alpha Quadrant with a bit of "Deus ex Machina" time travel involved.

...The Time Travel As A Plot Device In Star Trek Is Overused Complaint Thread 

they like the evolving plot too.  the blond girl early in voyager evolved.

and that blond guy evolved to be with v'ger

i didnt use to be this bad with names.too many nieces, nephews, and grand nephews. 

...ah yes Captian Willard "Will" Decker, who in the ST canon was son of Commodore Decker from the original series episode: The Doomsday Machine.  He along with Lt. Ilia (the Deltan navigator assigned to the Enterprise) both "melded" with V'ger.to give it the "answer" it was looking for.

Persis Khambatta who portrayed Ilia, passed away in 1998 due to a heart attack at age 49

I question the wisdom of putting RGB in all our electronics. How am I supposed to sleep on nights when I have a render going? It looks like a carnival midway in here.
  • certaintree38 said:

I question the wisdom of putting RGB in all our electronics. How am I supposed to sleep on nights when I have a render going? It looks like a carnival midway in here.

Can't they be switched off through the system settings or, worst case, BIOS?

Mystiarra said:

kyoto kid said:

Mystiarra said:

and there are waterfalls there 

Um, not to put to fine a point on it, but water falls everywhere.  It has something to do with gravity.indecision  It rarely rises.  Although there is a place in EPCOT where there is a waterrise.yes

edited March 2021

certaintree38 said:

I have an apartment full of computers but the one showpiece machine with window and lightshow is kept separate from my sleeping area.  HOWEVER, I often do fall asleep in it's presence on my recliner and yet the light from the TV or computer doesn't bother me despite my livingroom/diningroom/office/laboratory always being dark.  But if I have a lamp lit, it really bugs me and I have to get up and turn it off.  Yet I will sleep through sunrise despite the blinds in my bedroom being practically useless.  I swear they don't block the sunlight so much as amplify it and reradiate it as a uniform blaring rectangle of eye searing whiteindecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

clap on clap off?

sioux falls has a butterfly house.  but i havent found what it is exactly.  mebbe something like rainforest cafe

i started watching Burn Notice from the beginning.  The 'leave no man behind' doesnt seem to apply to cia.  i hope that doesnt happen in real life, totally disgraceful.

Feels Like 25°  guess i shouldnt complain is better than Feels Like 19°
    i havent opened my door in 3 whole days.  dont want my fahrenheits escaping.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

I thought I was developing cataracts perusing the store. Then I realised it's a ridiculous amount of post-processing in a few of the promos.

Exhibit A

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

Think it's the denoiser that makes it look like that. I thought at first it was one of those hokey PS "painterly" actions lol.

This discussion has been closed.