The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,239
    edited March 2021

TheKD said:

I will assume you are not running those PC's in storage, so at least they won't be generating comfy heat and be any more enticing than any other box in storage lol.

That may be so, but my occupied PC in the research shed had been turned off all winter when we returned in the spring.  Yet there must have been something attractive about the inside of the computer vs any other place or box or shelf corner inside the research shed.  Perhaps it was the lovely little doors formed by the missing card slot covers, or the convenient space in the half empty harddrive cage. 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,591

McGyver said:

If the alarm really bothers you, buy one of those portable air horns they use at sporting events and keep it under your pillow, when the alarm goes off, blast the air horn... Really hold it down... don't let up, maybe even drain the whole can...  I find air horns good for curing numerous sleep related issues and delivering variable levels of auditory justice.

LOL... Reminds me of my younger days when getting up in the mornings wasn't that easy... Had to rig a pneumatic horn from a car to the clock and still managed to sleep through it occasionallyblush

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

LeatherGryphon said:

That may be so, but my occupied PC in the research shed had been turned off all winter when we returned in the spring.  Yet there must have been something attractive about the inside of the computer vs any other place or box or shelf corner inside the research shed.  Perhaps it was the lovely little doors formed by the missing card slot covers, or the convenient space in the half empty harddrive cage. 

Ah, I assumed it was on taking data or something, so the heat was attracted it. 

edited March 2021

TheKD said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Ah, I assumed it was on taking data or something, so the heat was attracted it. 

Probably because I think I used the phrase "warm and cozy".  My bad. blush

Interesting shed.  Plopped in the middle of a cow pasture on the eastern slopes of the mountains running north/south through Virginia about an hour or two southwest of Washington DC.  I called it a "weather" shed because it had been used for that at one time.  We used it as an out-of-the city, reception point to test the reception of over the horizon radio signals bounced from the upper atmosphere by streaks of ionized air left by micrometeors (grains of space sand) that occur very frequently.  Frequently enough to be used as emergency communication for difficult situations.  When a micrometeor occurs you can get radio reflection strong enough to permit a digital communication channel to open to establish connection and pass a hundred or more characters between receiver and transmitting station over the horizon.  Then a couple seconds later another one happens, and another and another.  This happens all over the world all the time.  The bigger the micrometeor the stronger the reflection and the longer it lasts.  Our receivers & transmitters were designed to transmit very fast when the channel first opens then slow down the transmission speed as the ionization trail fades to squeeze out a few more characters through the weakening channel.  (it's called "Variable Rate Meteor Burst Communication") Some of the computers had been left in the shack over the winter and we were coming back to test new equipment we'd improved since the experiments in the fall.  We had shelves, chairs and a small window and an air conditioner (thank you, government money)  because sitting in a metal shed painted dark blue in an open field taught me a lot about heat absorption.  I don't know where the electricity came from, but apparently that shed had been there many years for many scientific purposes.  Our Experiments were in the late '80s, early '90s.  I was using three Motorola 68020 single board computers in a single VME chassis sharing memory across the backplane bus.  One computer board for receiving signals, one computer for transmitting signals and the 3rd computer board for user interface and data co-ordination.  I wrote the multi-tasking, multi-processor operating system that ran it all.  As well as the communication processing itself.  One of the best experiences of my career.  The PCs in the shed were used for editing the programs and running the assembler (my system was all written in Motorola assembler) Lots of stories about the difficulties of early multi-processor hardware synchronization with shared memory. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

The Mouse in my House Complaint Thread
    The What i Wanted didnt Hit the Sale Complaint Thread

ahchoo.

i havent stepped outside my apt in 2 days cuz of the lack of Fahrenheits.  somehow caught a sniffle.  how is that even possible

complaint
    the 2 hairs i been waiting on didnt hit the sale today.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,033

I was just wondering where the idea of victories (even small ones like winning a game of checkers) came to be described as "beating the pants (or socks) off someone?

Now I'm wondering why I was wondering that...

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,107

TJohn said:

I was just wondering where the idea of victories (even small ones like winning a game of checkers) came to be described as "beating the pants (or socks) off someone?

Perhaps from a game of strip poker?   blush

Dana

TJohn said:

or sayings like 'work like a dog'

who/where is this poor dog? lets go rescue it 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,632

McGyver said:

AnotherUserName said:

A mouse made a house out of my car...

I dont want to talk about how many daz budgets that took to fix.

So I set up six, mouse bnb's, we will call them.

I am still looking forward to 3,995 mouse guests. angry

The same thing happened to me a few years back when the car was brand new... We went away for a week in October and they decided to make a nest on the back of the intake manifold and gnaw the wiring harness to bits while we were gone.

The damage was around $1500 to repair, but luckily it was actually covered in our homeowner's insurance as an "Act of God"... I was happy that my insurance company was open minded enough to think that god is a mouse.

I was kinda curious about the details, but I figured why get them to question their beliefs, when I should just take the money and be grateful to mouse god.

I was less pissed off at the mice then the fact that two sets of wires with snap connectors ends cost a little over $500 and the rest was labor which required the engine platform to be lowered and several components to be removed so the wires could be snaked through the elaborate puzzle of tightly configured technology... I get why that is, but I remember when I was a kid and crap would break on my or my friends old cars and we'd just pop on over to R&S Strauss and pick up the parts and do it ourselves because you didn't need to disassemble the whole car to change a few wires.... I literally changed a fuel pump in the dirt on the side of the road with just a handful of tools and was good to go in fifteen minutes.

So just in case god is a mouse, no need to piss him off, it's better just to build a little house for Corky, relocate her and call it a misunderstanding... less problems with the insurance company if they think I'm antagonizing mouse god.

...yeah I miss those days of being a "driveway mechanic".   If something broke you went down to the local auto parts store or wrecking yard, got a replacement for 15$ - 20 $, spent an hour or so installing it, and that was all.  No leaving your car overnight (or sometimes for days), no exorbitant service bill you hope isn't excluded in the fine print of your insurance policy,  and no worry about unscrupulous mechanics "finding" other things wrong to charge you extra for.  Back then we could even do our own tune-ups.

...The Phone Woke Me Up From My Nap Complaint Thread.
    ...The Mouse Made It's House In My Car Complaint Thread.
    ...The I Really Don't Care What Time It Is Complaint Thread. 
    ...The I Miss Carvel Custard Complaint Thread.
    ...The There are Roaches In The RAM Complaint Thread.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

kyoto kid said:

McGyver said:

AnotherUserName said:

The same thing happened to me a few years back when the car was brand new... We went away for a week in October and they decided to make a nest on the back of the intake manifold and gnaw the wiring harness to bits while we were gone.

The damage was around $1500 to repair, but luckily it was actually covered in our homeowner's insurance as an "Act of God"... I was happy that my insurance company was open minded enough to think that god is a mouse.

I was kinda curious about the details, but I figured why get them to question their beliefs, when I should just take the money and be grateful to mouse god.

I was less pissed off at the mice then the fact that two sets of wires with snap connectors ends cost a little over $500 and the rest was labor which required the engine platform to be lowered and several components to be removed so the wires could be snaked through the elaborate puzzle of tightly configured technology... I get why that is, but I remember when I was a kid and crap would break on my or my friends old cars and we'd just pop on over to R&S Strauss and pick up the parts and do it ourselves because you didn't need to disassemble the whole car to change a few wires.... I literally changed a fuel pump in the dirt on the side of the road with just a handful of tools and was good to go in fifteen minutes.

So just in case god is a mouse, no need to piss him off, it's better just to build a little house for Corky, relocate her and call it a misunderstanding... less problems with the insurance company if they think I'm antagonizing mouse god.

...yeah I miss those days of being a "driveway mechanic".   If something broke you went down to the local auto parts store or wrecking yard, got a replacement for 15$ - 20 $, spent an hour or so installing it, and that was all.  No leaving your car overnight (or sometimes for days), no exorbitant service bill you hope isn't excluded in the fine print of your insurance policy,  and no worry about unscrupulous mechanics "finding" other things wrong to charge you extra for.  Back then we could even do our own tune-ups.

The old cars were certainly the best.   I remember one weekend driving about 160 miles to a friends place where we were staying for the weekend,  to do a reenactment nearby.   They were puzzled when I insteed on parking facing downhill.   I told them it was because I had a proble with my starter motor, which needed fixing,  so would need to bump start in the morning.   Typical male drivers wanting to look big before  a woman driver,  they said open up the bonnet and we will have a look.   So I grinned and did that.  Tow puzzled friends  said to me   "Pam, where is your starter motor?"  "It's in the boot", I replied,  "I did tell you it needed fixing".   They couldn't believe I had driven 160 miles without a starter motor connected and was quite happy to do the same going back.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Chohole said:

The old cars were certainly the best... they said open up the bonnet and we will have a look.  ... "Pam, where is your starter motor?"  "It's in the boot", I replied,  "I did tell you it needed fixing".   They couldn't believe I had driven 160 miles without a starter motor connected and was quite happy to do the same going back.

Bonnet and boot! lol! 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

certaintree38 said:

Chohole said:

The old cars were certainly the best... they said open up the bonnet and we will have a look.  ... "Pam, where is your starter motor?"  "It's in the boot", I replied,  "I did tell you it needed fixing".   They couldn't believe I had driven 160 miles without a starter motor connected and was quite happy to do the same going back.

Bonnet and boot! lol! 

that's hood an trunk in american I think.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Chohole said:

certaintree38 said:

Chohole said:

Bonnet and boot! lol! 

that's hood an trunk in american I think.

I know! But boot and bonnet are cuter. 

edited March 2021

I was never a car mechanic, but I did tear my first motorcycle apart to replace the cam chain in the engine.  Twice.  It was a '70s Honda 350.  I had other motorcycles after that but paid others to get their hands dirty.  

But speaking of old cars.  In the early '90s we bought a 1966 Lincoln Continental 4-door with the "suicide" rear door that opened the "wrong" way.  Big.  Mucho grande.  I could always spot it in the parking lot.  It was the one with the tail sticking out two feet beyond the other cars and some of the trucks.surprise

I watch old TV shows from the '60s & '70s like "Mission Impossible" (see picture below), and the size of the cars just amazes me.  How in heck did we navigate without sideswiping every other vehicle on the road?  And the roads were narrower then, I think.indecision  I bought the car for my other half, and he would take it down into downtown Washington DC where I hated to drive with a modern compact car.  But it always came back without a scratch.  We only had it for a year but sold it to a museum and it lives out its days in Arizona, free from salt and moisture.

1966LincolnContinental.jpg
    511 x 383 - 28K

Chohole said:

kyoto kid said:

McGyver said:

AnotherUserName said:

The old cars were certainly the best.   I remember one weekend driving about 160 miles to a friends place where we were staying for the weekend,  to do a reenactment nearby.   They were puzzled when I insteed on parking facing downhill.   I told them it was because I had a proble with my starter motor, which needed fixing,  so would need to bump start in the morning.   Typical male drivers wanting to look big before  a woman driver,  they said open up the bonnet and we will have a look.   So I grinned and did that.  Tow puzzled friends  said to me   "Pam, where is your starter motor?"  "It's in the boot", I replied,  "I did tell you it needed fixing".   They couldn't believe I had driven 160 miles without a starter motor connected and was quite happy to do the same going back.

...yes 

edited March 2021

...ugh...

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited March 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

I was never a car mechanic, but I did tear my first motorcycle apart to replace the cam chain in the engine.  Twice.  It was a '70s Honda 350.  I had other motorcycles after that but paid others to get their hands dirty.  

But speaking of old cars.  In the early '90s we bought a 1966 Lincoln Continental 4-door with the "suicide" rear door that opened the "wrong" way.  Big.  Mucho grande.  I could always spot it in the parking lot.  It was the one with the tail sticking out two feet beyond the other cars and some of the trucks.surprise

I watch old TV shows from the '60s & '70s like "Mission Impossible" (see picture below), and the size of the cars just amazes me.  How in heck did we navigate without sideswiping every other vehicle on the road?  And the roads were narrower then, I think.indecision  I bought the car for my other half, and he would take it down into downtown Washington DC where I hated to drive with a modern compact car.  But it always came back without a scratch.  We only had it for a year but sold it to a museum and it lives out its days in Arizona, free from salt and moisture.

...the car I first learned to drive in was one of these. 

I get amused watching people try and park a Prius or Civic (and often give up) in a space I had no trouble with in this behemoth. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,550

Subtropic Pixel said:

and tiny little toilets with sewage hookup

And make sure they have lids, and they open. 

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

First car I learned to drive was a frikken cadilac 4 door, I think it was '86, maybe a little older. That thing was a boat lol......  The trunk was almost as long as the hood.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,107

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

...the car I first learned to drive in was one of these. 

I get amused watching people try and park a Prius or Civic (and often give up) in a space I had no trouble with in this behemoth. 

Yeah, my '69 Chrysler Newport was pretty big.  When I junked it, the guy said it was a ton and a half.  I could lay down in the back (or front) seat and not touch either door with my head or feet.  Yet, I had no trouble getting it into spaces that would hold nearly two compact cars today!

Dana

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,950

Complaint:

Daz/certain PAs please quit baking in the glute/breast creases into your Bump/Disp/Normal maps, (Ideally for the diffuse, SSS, and spec maps as well too!) as they often do not line up with the figures and look unnecessarily unrealistic, otherwise, your texture-work is fine enough!

Don't get me started on the overly contoured and burned in specular in diffuse maps as well!

edited March 2021

tardis

time and relative distance?

Feels Like19°  eek  goin back to sleep and huddle under the blankets.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    edited March 2021

Mystiarra said:

tardis

TARDIS:... Time And Relative Dimensions In Space...  

Not to be confused with the real world TORTOISE...

TORTOISE:... Time Oriented Relativistic Transportational Omnidimensional Interspatial Explorifier.... (or the nearest equivalent of that acronym  in galactic common)

The TORTOISE was a Flveevlgoot temporal exploration device designed to go anywhere in time and space a 1966 Volkswagen Type 2 minibus could fit... (apparently for technical reasons the only working body configuration at the time of its development was the exact body shape of a 1966 Volkswagen Type 2 minibus).
    As per requirement in these situations the final test model was immediately stolen by the head of the project for nefarious personal reasons and the janky original prototype (which as per requirement in these situations was 100% cooler and better than the one the bad guy stupidly stole) was then pressed into service to by the scientific team who invented it so they could thwart his plans. 
    Neither of the machines ever returned, but since the universe seemed remain the same it was assumed the team sent to stop the evil nut job was successful.
    The TORTOISE was limited to two production models before the project was abandoned and deemed too stupidly dangerous to keep messing around with and was quickly forgotten and never mentioned again...

Well, until now and 1987 when... ah, nobody wants to hear about the stuff I did in my misspent youth.

Stay warm Mysty...

By the way, how are the eyeballs? Are they getting any better or even slightly improving?

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited March 2021

kyoto kid said:

This is more or less what my Catalina looks like... well, last looked like... it's way more rusty and in need of restoration at this point and every time I lift off the cover, something else has gotten worse...

Its basically the same color, either Brasília Gold or Shadow Gold, whichever is actually the greener one... (in RL it looks like a light olive green metallic) it had the black vinyl roof, but I got rid of that nonsense.
    Oddly it has the exact same damage to the signal light pod on the fender, but a little deeper, and it's not a hole... the part is actually cast aluminum, not fiberglass. And the rims are American Racing Outlaw II rims with black centers. It has a 400 cu in (6.6 L) V8 with the THM 400.

At some point I have to either take digital photos of it or scan the old film photos... it's so depressing taking off the cover, so it's more likely I'll just scan the old photos.

I do intend to restore her at some point, but I really never am going to have time... the lament of all former "car guys"...

@ DanaTA... I used to use this car to haul all sorts of building supplies... I once placed a bathtub across where the back seat goes (it comes out fairly easily) and was still able to close the doors.

McGyver said:

Mystiarra said:

tardis

TARDIS:... Time And Relative Dimensions In Space...  

Not to be confused with the real world TORTOISE...

TORTOISE:... Time Oriented Relativistic Transportational Omnidimensional Interspatial Explorifier.... (or the nearest equivalent of that acronym  in galactic common)

The TORTOISE was a Flveevlgoot temporal exploration device designed to go anywhere in time and space a 1966 Volkswagen Type 2 minibus could fit... (apparently for technical reasons the only working body configuration at the time of its development was the exact body shape of a 1966 Volkswagen Type 2 minibus).
    As per requirement in these situations the final test model was immediately stolen by the head of the project for nefarious personal reasons and the janky original prototype (which as per requirement in these situations was 100% cooler and better than the one the bad guy stupidly stole) was then pressed into service to by the scientific team who invented it so they could thwart his plans. 
    Neither of the machines ever returned, but since the universe seemed remain the same it was assumed the team sent to stop the evil nut job was successful.
    The TORTOISE was limited to two production models before the project was abandoned and deemed too stupidly dangerous to keep messing around with and was quickly forgotten and never mentioned again...

Well, until now and 1987 when... ah, nobody wants to hear about the stuff I did in my misspent youth.

Stay warm Mysty...

By the way, how are the eyeballs? Are they getting any better or even slightly improving?

TORTOISE.  you mean Gamara?

vision pretty much a problem.  doh,  Thanks

cooking pierogies for lunch. cheddar n potato

edited March 2021

Complaint... Dang it... looking at the picture of the car above, I just realized that my stepdad probably "garage saled" my old original Pontiac hubcaps (the ones the car above has) some time before he died two years ago...

I had left them in the shed in his yard with some other stuff, I don't recall seeing them the last time I was there... he must have sold them with all his old car parts and stuff.

Bummer.

its Sunday i think.

dunno what to do today.  cant decide if is a Aerosmith day or Johnny Cash.

The Lorenzo Lamas spell is broken.  up to the 5th season of renegade.  he makes no progress, there is absolutely no character arc.  frustrating.

The game of thrones sudden deaths kept it lively lol.

Sam Beckit is still out there leaping.  are the sliders still sliding?  peeked at the last episode.  didnt see Quin.

how did star trek voyager series finale end?  did they make it home?

is Wesley Crusher still out there?  he like evolved or something?

i'd prolly watch game of thrones again.  battlestar galactica was too depressing to watch again.

they should all have movies like how Serenity gave closure to Firefly.

what was the pizza movie, ordering anchovies was code?  wasnt john cusack.  was early 80s i think.
    omg is a niggle in my brain

edited March 2021

Complaint:  Aughhh... After ignoring my Rosetta Stone: Russian language course for a couple years, I ran out of TV to watch and decided to get back into learning Russian.  So, I dust off my expensive set of six CDs, and put the the installation CD into my new computer (the course had been erased from my old computer during some previous rebuild).  I had only ever installed it on one computer and the box clearly states that it is valid for two computers.  But It won't even start the installation until I verify my activation key.  But no cigar.  "Key invalid"sad 

No problem, I'll just contact Rosetta Stone and 'splain the situation and all will be resolved, right?  Wrong!  Apparently the CD versions of the course (which I had believed were valid to the end of time, they certainly had been valid for at least two years without asking for more money) are no longer supported by Rosetta Stone (meaning no activation) and additionally are not able to run without Adobe Flash, which is (as of 12/31/2020) no longer supported by Adobe and has been dropped (and removed) from Windows10 by Microsoft updates.frown

But the helpful person at the Rosetta Stone helpdesk gave me the good news that they recognized the problem and offered me a free 1 year subscription to their new version of Russian language course that is web based.  Oh, cool!  I thought until I realized that at the end of 1 year I'll have to pay more money again.  Aughhh... even they have moved to the cloud based subscription model.  No wonder they don't support the standalone CD version anymore.angry

(*Sigh*)  I guess that means that if I don't want to end up paying $$$ next year for continuing Russian course access I better learn all I can during these next 12 months.  I guess that's an incentive.indecision

Non-complaint:  Realizing my current difficulty with sitting for long periods of time at my computer desk, and studying a language requires lots of screen interaction and close access to my desk microphone.  I decided to get semi-mobile with my language learning setup.  So, realizing another opportunity to shop for electronic gizmos, I dialed up Amazon and NewEgg and examined gaming headphones with attached microphone.  Wheee... gizmo shopping.yes  

Now I can sit in my recliner chair, put the language course on the TV, and listen/talk through my headset and use my wireless keyboard for text input.  Pure couch potato mode.blush

This discussion has been closed.