The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

certaintree38 said:

Mystiarra said:

never did get my birthday cake.  today the day to doordash a carvel ice cream cake angeldevil

I was wondering about your cake! Sending you hugs and healing vibes. 

thank you.

strawberry shortcake sundae.  simple pleasures are the best.

kiva fireplace

the dream

non complaint

2.99  sale  https://www.daz3d.com/chinese-garden ; looks real nice.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,033

McGyver said:

certaintree38 said:

Why does my husband set an alarm for 5:45 am if he is just going to sleep through it for two hours? This is why I have to sleep with earplugs.

Probably for the same reason my wife has the bedroom clock set to "more or less" a 1/2 hour ahead of time... plus the alarm is an hour ahead of the time she wakes up... the "more or less" is a floating nonspecific "gotta keep it random" time that keeps one guessing as to what time zone or epoch one is currently residing in. 
    Thusly all the clocks except for the cable box clock are a lie... but since I don't trust the cable either, I just rely on my portable sun dial which is rather useless indoors.

But who cares, time as currently defined by humanity is just a construct of the human limitations of their narrowly conceived perception of a three dimensional universe.

Technically, I could use a Jvnoovinorinikrinknoopbrivian Bringkrinkle Box to accurately keep track of time, but Bringkrinkle Boxes are only made by the Bringkrinkle corporation, and if you think Apple is bad with overpriced snooty, hoity-toity devices, walled gardens and proprietary cables that keep becoming obsolete, just read Bringkrinkle's EULA which gives them the right to borrow all your internal organs if they see fit and if you cease living because of that, they get to keep them... Mainky I hate them because everything they make is in a weird avocado color that doesn't go with anything in my house... I suppose it looks good if you are a Jvnoovinorinikrinknoopbrivian who can see in different wavelengths, but all their stuff just looks like giant hamster alfalfa pellet poops to me... and also there is the organ snatching thing, but mainly the gross green color thing.

But mostly it's irrelevant because in general I wake up at least a half hour before the stupid alarm goes off anyway.

If the alarm really bothers you, buy one of those portable air horns they use at sporting events and keep it under your pillow, when the alarm goes off, blast the air horn... Really hold it down... don't let up, maybe even drain the whole can...  I find air horns good for curing numerous sleep related issues and delivering variable levels of auditory justice.

Pro tip- When you are planning to do this you may want to a waterproof mattress protector under sheets the night before.

Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care? If so I can't imagine why. 

TJohn said:

McGyver said:

certaintree38 said:

Why does my husband set an alarm for 5:45 am if he is just going to sleep through it for two hours? This is why I have to sleep with earplugs.

Probably for the same reason my wife has the bedroom clock set to "more or less" a 1/2 hour ahead of time... plus the alarm is an hour ahead of the time she wakes up... the "more or less" is a floating nonspecific "gotta keep it random" time that keeps one guessing as to what time zone or epoch one is currently residing in. 
    Thusly all the clocks except for the cable box clock are a lie... but since I don't trust the cable either, I just rely on my portable sun dial which is rather useless indoors.

But who cares, time as currently defined by humanity is just a construct of the human limitations of their narrowly conceived perception of a three dimensional universe.

Technically, I could use a Jvnoovinorinikrinknoopbrivian Bringkrinkle Box to accurately keep track of time, but Bringkrinkle Boxes are only made by the Bringkrinkle corporation, and if you think Apple is bad with overpriced snooty, hoity-toity devices, walled gardens and proprietary cables that keep becoming obsolete, just read Bringkrinkle's EULA which gives them the right to borrow all your internal organs if they see fit and if you cease living because of that, they get to keep them... Mainky I hate them because everything they make is in a weird avocado color that doesn't go with anything in my house... I suppose it looks good if you are a Jvnoovinorinikrinknoopbrivian who can see in different wavelengths, but all their stuff just looks like giant hamster alfalfa pellet poops to me... and also there is the organ snatching thing, but mainly the gross green color thing.

But mostly it's irrelevant because in general I wake up at least a half hour before the stupid alarm goes off anyway.

If the alarm really bothers you, buy one of those portable air horns they use at sporting events and keep it under your pillow, when the alarm goes off, blast the air horn... Really hold it down... don't let up, maybe even drain the whole can...  I find air horns good for curing numerous sleep related issues and delivering variable levels of auditory justice.

Pro tip- When you are planning to do this you may want to a waterproof mattress protector under sheets the night before.

Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care? If so I can't imagine why. 

mebbe time for a sit down by the fireplace with a buppy and slippers?

on a nicer day, would be time for daily walk in the sunshine.
    walk mission aborted today.

eek.

• Feels Like25°  WindWNW 22 mph

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,238

TJohn said:

McGyver said:

certaintree38 said:

We've all got time enough to cry. 

how does people in sioux falls keep their heat and water pipes from freezing in neg double digits.
    there comes a degree when doesn't matter if Fs or Cs.

those kiva fireplaces soo lovely.  is the pron of cozy and warms. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    edited March 2021

TJohn said:

We've all got time enough to cry...

Did some guy ask you what time it was while you were walking down the street one day?... Because that's my answer too...

Well, except for that time I was walking down the street one day and a pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had stopped cold dead.

And I said...

Beyoch, what the hell you asking' me the time for?... ain't you got no iPhone or Galaxy... you know those tell the time too, right?...  Or are those your fancy one percenter eyeballs of yours too good to look up the time for yourself?... Yo, why don't you get that fancy diamond watch fixed and stop bothering us poor people, you no good useless trust fund baby, lazy loafing Disney princess wannabe... sheeeed.

Sorry... that wasn't part of the song.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited March 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

We've all got time enough to cry. 

Dang it... you beat me to it... didn't see it till now... you win this round sir gryphon... 

i miss the cracking of that squirrel whipping it good like Devo

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

I stayed at one house for a while with a wood-burning stove. That's how we heated the house for the winter. You had to feed the fire all day long, and if it went out you had to start it again from scratch and it took some time. But we were so warm and the electric bill was so low. We got the firewood for cheap, sometimes free, but a lot of times it had to be split before it could be used.  I wasn't the one hunting down and splitting the wood, so over-all I really enjoyed the experience. 

The Chinese Garden looks really nice. But I've never in my life wanted to make a Chinese style render. So I am resisting the urge to buy. 

How many cups of coffee can you have before your body gives up and makes you take a nap?

Not sure which I want more, the nap or the awake time. Both sound nice.

its resource intensive, but 2.99 why not.  lol  it looks a nice place for a nap for an eastern dragon or Kirin.

certaintree38 said:

How many cups of coffee can you have before your body gives up and makes you take a nap?

Like a heart attack induced nap?...

Probably four cups of the coffee I make.

Nobody likes my coffee because of the hallucinations and severe neurological trauma, but it's pretty good and can really wake you up... of course if you drink too much, it'll kill ya... but if you spill enough of it on you as you are going down, it'll soak right through your flesh and restart your heart.

So... win-win, right?

I don't know about normal coffee, I don't drink that swill... that's for amateurs... if there isn't a risk of dropping dead or having visions, what's the point?

Proper coffee should cause one to make pirate sounds and foresee the future.

I didn't want to start a separate thread or look around too much... but, does anyone know what was the consensus about the forums? Are they going to change the forum software or revamp them or otherwise rejigger the software thingamabobs?

I'm wondering because there have been a lot of weird glitches going on and it's starting to feel like 2012 again... (or was it 2013?)... or maybe the Y2K bugs finally awoke from suspended animation and are running amok?... either way, the glitches have got me wondering.

i refreshed a few minutes ago.  it said no discussions found.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

McGyver said:

certaintree38 said:

Nobody likes my coffee because of the hallucinations and severe neurological trauma, but it's pretty good and can really wake you up... of course if you drink too much, it'll kill ya... but if you spill enough of it on you as you are going down, it'll soak right through your flesh and restart your heart.

So... win-win, right?

I don't know about normal coffee, I don't drink that swill... that's for amateurs... if there isn't a risk of dropping dead or having visions, what's the point?

Sign me up. 

edited March 2021

Mystiarra said:

how does people in sioux falls keep their heat and water pipes from freezing in neg double digits.

-40C   = -40F

I derived it again on paper and it worked.  But when I went to enter it here into the forum, the lack of proper mathematical formula notation got too bothersome and I made too many misteaks and my answer came out +32surprise so I just erased the deriviation and gave you the answer.  -40C=-40F

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

-40C   = -40F

I derived it again on paper and it worked.  But when I went to enter it here into the forum, the lack of proper mathematical formula notation got too bothersome and I made too many misteaks and my answer came out +32surprise so I just erased the deriviation and gave you the answer.  -40C=-40F

2 degrees sideways from the meaning of life 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,630
    edited March 2021

McGyver said:

certaintree38 said:

So... win-win, right?

...(((.+1)))

A friend of mine used to refer to "normal coffee" as "Crayola water" as he said it looked (and tasted) like someone melted a brown crayon in boiling water.

To me that cheap pre ground stuff in a tin (or foil brick) smells like the shavings from an old hand crank pencil sharpener.(at least with pencil shavings, you get a bit of fibre).  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,630
    edited March 2021

Mystiarra said:

never did get my birthday cake.  today the day to doordash a carvel ice cream cake angeldevil

...I used to remember Carvel back in the old days in Milwaukee.  There was one near where my mum worked which (which is now a BBQ joint) and another that as a short walk from where I lived.(the building long since raised)   

In the 60s the local franchise owner had a falling out with Carvel and started his own company named Boy Blue which survived until 2014.  We also had several Tastee Freez stands in the city.  I still remember the truck that would cruise the neighbourhood during summer evenings.playing it's catchy little tune, my favourite was a chocolate dipped "Double Header" served in a cone that held two servings side by side.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,107

TJohn said:

McGyver said:

certaintree38 said:

Great tune!

Dana

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,107

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

-40C   = -40F

Were you hungry when you wrote this?   laugh

Dana

• McGyver said:

Corky The Mouse update...

The weather has been improving and soon Corky will be relocated to a nature preserve nearby... but since it's going to be at least another week and who knows what kind of weather may come about, so I figured instead of the sad little knock off Pop Tart box she has been living in (inside of a 5 gallon fish tank) ...(not filled with water)... I decided to make something a little bit more weather resistant... also less garbage-like which predators could easily tear open.

The Pop Tart box idea was so she'd make herself a nest in there (which she did) and when we dropped her off, we could just leave behind the box under some leaves and she'd have a convenient temporary nest...

But then I was thinking about weather and what if she was too cozy and didn't go off to find a safer nest and a flimsy cardboard knockoff Pop Tart box really is too low rent for a nature preserve with a mansion in it (Wereholme Manor)...(its actually on a moor/marsh, which gets foggy... it's a very werewolfie kind of place, especially with that name)... anyway... so I decided to build her a wooden mouse house, so if she stayed, she would be safe and could raise her mouse babies in there and in comfort...

So I started making this simple little box...

Which devolved into this not all that simple little box...

Then I was like, "What if there is a hurricane or what if the other mice build fancy houses..." I don't want it to be too simple and I didn't want Corky feeling ashamed of her stupid wooden box... So that all turned in to this...

The chimney is probably overkill... I was going to put a plain porch on it for her to sip mint juleps on, but then I remembered this is Long Island not Louisiana and since Long Island ice teas are better sipped indoors while watching tv, I opted for an enclosed porch instead... but it's more of a foyer than a true porch...

This is why I take forever to finish any models I start making... it starts off as an shed and ends up as Mall of America... the walls are an inch thick and it's glued and nailed together for maximum strength... this mouse can make some powerful enemies and she'll be safe inside her bunker...

Seriously... unless a fox has a hand grenade, she'll be fine... I dropped that thing on the shop floor and it just thudded like a block of firewood.

The stupid thing is it didn't fit in the tank, because in my head, I was thinking of 10 gallon tank dimensions... that's actually why I cut off the porch and added the foyer... it's detachable, so I'll screw it on when we drop her off...

I'm feeling like the inside needs some artwork or a little TV... it definitely needs a mailbox out front...

Well, I'll add those later...

You built a house for a mouse.  Is this really your daughter?  Are you planning to pour a concrete slab, or maybe partially bury a standard cinder block so that she can have a basement too?  What about a pool?  And electrical, plumbing, and tiny little toilets with sewage hookup.  And termite protection?  Oh, and are you going to pay the property taxes on this estate you're building?  You should make sure she's got property insurance and liability insurance too, just in case a horse steps down through the floorboard into the basement and breaks his leg, necessitating an urgent euthanization.  Will she be going to mouse college?  Dormitory, or off-campus housing?  Don't forget the health care insurance, a doctor, dentist, optometrist, and maybe even a retirement fund.  What about old age care?  I wonder if there are retirement communities for elderly mice.

Is it possible that all this complexity is why some people just use rat poison?  wink

• A mouse made a house out of my car...

I dont want to talk about how many daz budgets that took to fix.

So I set up six, mouse bnb's, we will call them.

I am still looking forward to 3,995 mouse guests. angry

edited March 2021

I once chased a family of mouse squatters out of a research PC computer kept in a weather research shed in the middle of a field in the hills of central Virginia.  That's when I learned the value of reinstalling all the slot covers at the back of the computer when you leave it for a few months whether in a shed in a field or in your closet.enlightened

Apparently the big roomy shed wasn't good enough for them, they needed warmer, more cozy accomodations.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited March 2021

AnotherUserName said:

A mouse made a house out of my car...

The same thing happened to me a few years back when the car was brand new... We went away for a week in October and they decided to make a nest on the back of the intake manifold and gnaw the wiring harness to bits while we were gone.

The damage was around $1500 to repair, but luckily it was actually covered in our homeowner's insurance as an "Act of God"... I was happy that my insurance company was open minded enough to think that god is a mouse.

I was kinda curious about the details, but I figured why get them to question their beliefs, when I should just take the money and be grateful to mouse god.

I was less pissed off at the mice then the fact that two sets of wires with snap connectors ends cost a little over $500 and the rest was labor which required the engine platform to be lowered and several components to be removed so the wires could be snaked through the elaborate puzzle of tightly configured technology... I get why that is, but I remember when I was a kid and crap would break on my or my friends old cars and we'd just pop on over to R&S Strauss and pick up the parts and do it ourselves because you didn't need to disassemble the whole car to change a few wires.... I literally changed a fuel pump in the dirt on the side of the road with just a handful of tools and was good to go in fifteen minutes.

So just in case god is a mouse, no need to piss him off, it's better just to build a little house for Corky, relocate her and call it a misunderstanding... less problems with the insurance company if they think I'm antagonizing mouse god.

edited March 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

I once chased a family of mouse squatters out of a research PC computer kept in a weather research shed in the middle of a field in the hills of central Virginia.  That's when I learned the value of reinstalling all the slot covers at the back of the computer when you leave it for a few months whether in a shed in a field or in your closet.enlightened

Apparently the big roomy shed wasn't good enough for them, they needed warmer, more cozy accomodations.

I can imagine what mice would do to the inside of a computer... gah... I have seen what roaches do, which is almost as bad... a while back I did some IT work helping a medical testing lab move to a larger facility... in a separate building on the grounds where there were just offices, there were some of the grossest desks I've seen... most of personal spaces in the place were just fine, some had a lot of food crumbs everywhere but there was this extra special set of cubicles from roach hell that was unbelievably dirty. 
    You could literally tell how far the cleaning people were willing to go by the encrusted food crumbs under the desk. 
    I removed three roachie computers from the area and set them aside... when the head if IT came around he looked at them and asked how bad they were, so I picked one up and shook it hard and a dozen or more roaches started crawling out... he was like "just throw them out, they are old anyway".

Not the worse roach related story I have, and I have quite a few... but from what I gather, a lot of people find the image of seething masses of roaches emanating from something rather nightmarish and it makes their skin crawl.

• McGyver said:

AnotherUserName said:

A mouse made a house out of my car...

The same thing happened to me a few years back when the car was brand new... We went away for a week in October and they decided to make a nest on the back of the intake manifold and gnaw the wiring harness to bits while we were gone.

The damage was around $1500 to repair, but luckily it was actually covered in our homeowner's insurance as an "Act of God"... I was happy that my insurance company was open minded enough to think that god is a mouse.

I was kinda curious about the details, but I figured why get them to question their beliefs, when I should just take the money and be grateful to mouse god.

I was less pissed off at the mice then the fact that two sets of wires with snap connectors ends cost a little over $500 and the rest was labor which required the engine platform to be lowered and several components to be removed so the wires could be snaked through the elaborate puzzle of tightly configured technology... I get why that is, but I remember when I was a kid and crap would break on my or my friends old cars and we'd just pop on over to R&S Strauss and pick up the parts and do it ourselves because you didn't need to disassemble the whole car to change a few wires.... I literally changed a fuel pump in the dirt on the side of the road with just a handful of tools and was good to go in fifteen minutes.

So just in case god is a mouse, no need to piss him off, it's better just to build a little house for Corky, relocate her and call it a misunderstanding... less problems with the insurance company if they think I'm antagonizing mouse god.

Well, this is a fair point.  Carry on sir, carry on!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

LeatherGryphon said:

Oh no.  I have two old PCs that I put in storage more than a year ago (then the pandemic hit).  I hate to think what I am going to discover when I can finally return to that city and fetch my stuff.  sad

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

I will assume you are not running those PC's in storage, so at least they won't be generating comfy heat and be any more enticing than any other box in storage lol.

This discussion has been closed.