The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited July 2020
    Tjohn said:

"How many roads must a man walk down
    Before you call him a man?..."

Is that really the criteria for being called a man?

Man, Zimmerman be crazy.

Question is what he actually meant, he's known for getting his lyrics from many different obscure sources. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowin%27_in_the_Wind

Post edited by Taoz on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    Taoz said:
    Tjohn said:

"How many roads must a man walk down
    Before you call him a man?..."

Is that really the criteria for being called a man?

Man, Zimmerman be crazy.

Question is what he actually meant, he's known for getting his lyrics from many different obscure sources. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowin%27_in_the_Wind

I love Dylan, but some of his lyrics are deep, some are just gibberish. And that's OK. smiley

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited July 2020

Notice: The following is both a complaint and a public service announcement. 

My dear fellow citizens of planet earth...

In these trying and uncertain times we now live in (unless of course you just died, then sorry), many different forces constantly pull at us and twist standards and facts into a ragged mess of disinformation and confusion... ordinary ideas and concepts which are fairly self evident have become shredded by conflict and zealously unleashed stupidity.  It has become most necessary that we all do our best to try and communicate clearly... this is why I feel the need to point out an increasing problematic and reoccurring mistake which stands to replace a long held concept.

The saying is...

"COULDN'T CARE LESS!!!"

For Kry's sake people, stop saying "Could care less"... That literally means one has the ability to care less but they are not caring less as they are currently expressing a undefined level of caring and by so doing, do care!

Are people that stupid they just write that without ever realizing they are implying that means the complete opposite of the point they are trying to make?

Yes, I know they are, but that's not my point...

You are not vilifying a person properly to the full extent by implying they have the capacity to care less but are instead opting to not use that cold hearted indifference to its maximum efficiency, instead choosing to only care somewhat if not perhaps a lot. 
    Think of how confusingly stupid this sounds... 

"Voldemort could care less about the lives of his innocent victims..."   

You might as well just finish that statement with  "so instead of killing them, he gave them all ice cream and lollipops and everyone had a swell time!"

These days I see far more people trying to make a point about someone who is expressing a complete lack of caring and empathy by claiming that person "Could care less"...

No.
    No, they couldn't... you just went on at length to express what a miserable bastard they are, how they lack a soul and actually enjoy ruining other people's lives and wallowing in the strife and anguish they create, yet you are ruining the point you are trying to make by implying they can care less, but for some reason are choosing not to.

I COULD CARE LESS... but that's so annoying, that I DO CARE, so I'm speaking up against this affront to point making!

The next time you see this, kindly point out to that person that they are an idiot and that's not the right way to disparage someone's lack of empathy... if you are standing next to them when they are writing that, gently smack them in the back of the head to show you care.

Please people, we all need to do our part and help others understand what we are trying to say, so do your part and help stop "couldn't care less" from being the next saying to be butchered into an abomination of its former self.

Say "NO" to "could care less" by caring enough to write "couldn't care less" to express that someone else can't be bothered to care and has maxed out their ability to care less as they are a miserable black hole of apathy and narcissism.

Thank you.

Post edited by McGyver on

Is that care less or more?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    McGyver said:

In these trying and uncertain times we now live in (unless of course you just died, then sorry), many different forces constantly pull at us and twist standards and facts into a ragged mess of disinformation and confusion... ordinary ideas and concepts which are fairly self evident have become shredded by conflict and zealously unleashed stupidity.  It has become most necessary that we all do our best to try and communicate clearly... this is why I feel the need to point out an increasing problematic and reoccurring mistake which stands to replace a long held concept.

The saying is...

"COULDN'T CARE LESS!!!"

For Kry's sake people, stop saying "Could care less"... That literally means one has the ability to care less but they are not caring less as they are currently expressing a undefined level of caring and by so doing, do care!

Are people that stupid they just write that without ever realizing they are implying that means the complete opposite of the point they are trying to make?

You are not vilifying a person properly to the full extent by implying they have the capacity to care less but are instead opting to not use that cold hearted indifference to its maximum efficiency, instead choosing to only care somewhat if not perhaps a lot. 

You might as well just finish that statement with  "so instead of killing them, he gave them all ice cream and lollipops and everyone had a swell time!"

These days I see far more people trying to make a point about someone who is expressing a complete lack of caring and empathy by claiming that person "Could care less"...

No.
    No, they couldn't... you just went on at length to express what a miserable bastard they are, how they lack a soul and actually enjoy ruining other people's lives and wallowing in the strife and anguish they create, yet you are ruining the point you are trying to make by implying they can care less, but for some reason are choosing not to.

I COULD CARE LESS... but that's so annoying, that I DO CARE, so I'm speaking up against this affront to point making!

The next time you see this, kindly point out to that person that they are an idiot and that's not the right way to disparage someone's lack of empathy... if you are standing next to them when they are writing that, gently smack them in the back of the head to show you care.

Please people, we all need to do our part and help others understand what we are trying to say, so do your part and help stop "couldn't care less" from being the next saying to be butchered into an abomination of its former self.

Say "NO" to "could care less" by caring enough to write "couldn't care less" to express that someone else can't be bothered to care and has maxed out their ability to care less as they are a miserable black hole of apathy and narcissism.

Thank you.

No, thank you oh wise and vociferous one.yes  

McGyver said:

Is that care less or more?

More careless. smiley

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Be careful out there.

Or the thing that I keep hoping for an opportunity to say when hearing an excuse. "Have we gotten to the point where I care yet?"

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited July 2020

Thank you, McGyver!  That's been one of the things that bothers me all the time!  That, and the expression "Common Sense".  It's obvious, if you look around you, that sense is not common!  If it were, there wouldn't be so many people trying to get on those courtroom reality drama shows...Judge this, Judge that...  If sense were common, they wouldn't have to put all those warnings on packaging telling you not to use it certain ways, or you could lose a limb or even your life.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    McGyver said:

The saying is...

"COULDN'T CARE LESS!!!"

No.

Thank you.

...yes

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    kyoto kid said:

....haven't responded to thei thread for a while due to what I felt had been  condescending replies I have received in the from a certian member, but as this actually fits better here I definitely need some serious help here from someone who has a helpful solution.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5851281/#Comment_5851281

Oops, I replied on the othe thread (from your link).

..heading over there to reply.

..heading over there to reply.

edited July 2020

...update. 

Well I did some more poking around and experimenting and I think the one display has gone to meet its maker.  If it was the backlight I would have seen "ghost" images using the flashlight method and there were none.  I also swapped the cables at the GPU and nothing came up when I rebooted the system.  If the second monitor was working, it would have booted up as the primary one.  Totally buggered as I can't afford a new one.  Went ahead an reconfigured the display set-up to a single monitor for now but it means won't be doing much 3D or modelling work as it's just to difficult on a single display with the set up I have. (In Daz it would leave me with almost a "postage stamp" sized workspace).

Am considering shutting down the second system for now and using the monitor from it on the render one until I can scratch up enough "scratch" to get a replacement.

...update: 

Went  ahead and moved the other monitor over and, indeed the old one has climbed up the curtains like that lovely Norweigan Blue.  Still a disappointment but also somewhat of a relief as it means there aren't any other more serious issues that could have caused this.  Just a wierd ccoincidence I guess that it expired that particular night at that particular time when the lights went out in NW Portland.

Oh and that outage the other night was due to a substation nearby that went down. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited July 2020
    kyoto kid said:

...update. 

Well I did some more poking around and experimenting and I think the one display has gone to meet its maker.  If it was the backlight I would have seen "ghost" images using the flashlight method and there were none.  I also swapped the cables at the GPU and nothing came up when I rebooted the system.  If the second monitor was working, it would have booted up as the primary one.  Totally buggered as I can't afford a new one.  Went ahead an reconfigured the display set-up to a single monitor for now but it means won't be doing much 3D or modelling work as it's just to difficult on a single display with the set up I have. (In Daz it would leave me with almost a "postage stamp" sized workspace).

Am considering shutting down the second system for now and using the monitor from it on the render one until I can scratch up enough "scratch" to get a replacement.

...update: 

Went  ahead and moved the other monitor over and, indeed the old one has climbed up the curtains like that lovely Norweigan Blue.  Still a disappointment but also somewhat of a relief as it means there aren't any other more serious issues that could have caused this.  Just a wierd ccoincidence I guess that it expired that particular night at that particular time when the lights went out in NW Portland.

Oh and that outage the other night was due to a substation nearby that went down. 

Glad you got it sorted.  Yeah, I had a monitor die like that.  Working fine then a power outage and coincidentally my monitor just refused to function.  Everything was on UPS systems but I think there might have been a ground loop ( I don't have properly grounded 3-wire house wiring at all the outlets) amongst the various devices because not only did the monitor die, but I also lost an HDMI converter that fed my TV.  Of course it was my favorite monitor.  But it was 10 years old.  Yet it had a sturdy metal base designed to let me slip my keyboard directly under the monitor completely out of the way on my desk.  Why don't they do that now days?  I swapped out the monitor with a cheap modern one but a year later I took the "dead" one to a shop to see if it could be salvaged.  Nope, couldn't be done.  Permanent zombie state.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited July 2020

...the odd thing is that one was newer while the older one still works fine.

Oh and in the spirit of the thread:

Going to be a scorcher the next couple days with highs of 100° - 102°F (and that's measured in the shade).  Being in the top floor, the roof above my flat gets direct sunlight during the etire afternoon into early eveing.  Even if I had a window AC unit it wouldn't be installed as during the pandemic, building  maintenance is not perfuming routine tasks, only emergencies like a broken pipe, major electrical issues, or a leaky dunny.

With distancing regulations in effect, most places that are open only have outdoor seating.  Cinemas (normally great places to sit in air conditioning for a few hours at daytime matinee prices) have not reopened (that will be phase 2 or 3 which is several weeks away).  I thought about hanging out in the frozen food, fresh meat, or diary aisles at the local Safeway, but I don't think their security would approve of me setting up a lawn chair there. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    kyoto kid said:

...the odd thing is that one was newer while the older one still works fine.

Oh and in the spirit of the thread:

Going to be a scorcher the next couple days with highs of 100° - 102°F (and that's measured in the shade).  Being in the top floor, the roof above my flat gets direct sunlight during the etire afternoon into early eveing.  Even if I had a window AC unit it wouldn't be installed as during the pandemic, building  maintenance is not perfuming routine tasks, only emergencies like a broken pipe, major electrical issues, or a leaky dunny.

With distancing regulations in effect, most places that are open only have outdoor seating.  Cinemas (normally great places to sit in air conditioning for a few hours at daytime matinee prices) have not reopened (that will be phase 2 or 3 which is several weeks away).  I thought about hanging out in the frozen food, fresh meat, or diary aisles at the local Safeway, but I don't think their security would approve of me setting up a lawn chair there. 

Are libraries open?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Hu   akmost back.  2 more surgeries .  vittrpus replacement.  lotta catching up  waiting.  be ironic if i missed a new dragon

Mystiarra said:

Hu   akmost back.  2 more surgeries .  vittrpus replacement.  lotta catching up  waiting.  be ironic if i missed a new dragon

Hello again.  Good hopes.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    Mystiarra said:

I hope all goes well!

Dana

edited July 2020
    Mystiarra said:

...whew, food to know. Hang in there and take care. Sending good vibes your way.

edited July 2020

...on another note, I downloaded a bunch of pics from the phone to free up memory and for some very stupid and unknown reason, the entire desktop of the phone was changed making it almost useless.  Couldn't delete the garbage I didn't want, so I ended up resetting it to factory defaults which means I lost my entire phonebook and site links/logons in the process. .It doesn't even show the charge percentage anymore. Rather perturbed eight now afterr having the display go out on me. 

On top of it all the mouse decided to stop working for a while as well resulting in a "USB Device Not Recognised" error even though it was connected and I have the proper driver for it.

Still cannot get some of the garbage I don't need off the teh phone's desktop like a weather and time app that takes up about half the display, which I never use or liked, and T-Mobile rubbish I don't use either (I'm with Consumer Cellular)..  Almost threw it against the wall I was so mad as I am really fed up with unexplained technical failures right now.

Oh and just discovered my secure logon on the phonw no longer works so anyone who swipes the screen can geit in, wonderful.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Damn kyoto kid, when it rains it pours :(

edited July 2020

...you're not kidding.  Will be spending most of Sunday trying to restore everything and find some way to get rid of the rubbish I don't need and that that takes up nearly half the main screen. Also have to figure out how to get the password protection set up again (that was done for me when I first got it).

I have no idea how it occurred as I've offloaded photos from memory to my main system numerous times with nothing like this happening. When I looked at the phone afterwards, the screen was completely covered in Icons on all three pages. and I had a couple big screen gadgets for apps, one for a weather service I never use and the other ofr T-Mobile movies neither of which I could get rid of as I coulldn't delete the apps.

Any UFOs or gremlins in your area?  Is the Earth moaning?  Are the birds gathering? Are the dogs howling?  Any activity on Mt. Hood?  Is that strike-slip fault off the coast about ready to slip and strike?  Perhaps your devices are trying to warn you.surprise

edited July 2020

Complaint:  My recent order of a better (but still old) CPU chip for my ancient computer shipped a few days ago through the US postal service.  I got notice this morning that delivery was attempted yesterday morning but failed.  I checked the tracking status of the package and discovered that it had been carefully tracked all the way to central Florida and was "Out for Delivery".  Well, that's nice, except that I live in western NY State about 1200 miles away.  The only thing I can think of that would screw up that badly is a wrong zip code.  You see, I live in Kennedy, NY and I suspect somebody at the small computer parts store where the ancient CPU was found , hand typed the shipping label and looked up the zip code for Kennedy Space Center in Florida. frown  I ordered through Amazon but the transaction was handled by a small 3rd-party vendor so all the magnificent digital and mechanized automation in the world was again thwarted by inattentive flesh.sad

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited July 2020
    DanaTA said:
    Mystiarra said:

I hope all goes well!

Dana

+1  from me as well.

New dragons?  I'd miss them 100% guaranteed,  since all the new cool stuff (and new slightly less cool stuff) is all DUF-exclusive so it's entirely useless to me even if I was interested xD  I know the last version of D|S I tried had an exporter built-in to push out Collada/Cr2/etc  but the couple models I tried always came out as disfigured messes that were entirely unusable - if they loaded at all.

Post edited by Rezca on
    Mystiarra said:

Hey, hope you are feeling better real soon... take care of your eyeballs, let them rest... no heavy lifting with them or staring contests with cats.

And in case I'm way off and it's not your eyeballs that were surgeryfide (that's a real word, I swear... I think... maybe... whatever)... in case it was something else like your spleen or medium sized intestine, then take care and don't do anything strenuous with them... and definitely don't have staring contests with cats anyway, because cats always win or attack your face.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.