"form-factor incompatabilities"=it don't fit? smiley

No appropriate hammer available.  or

Unwillingness to tear out the motherboard.  or

I screwed up my ordering accuracy. 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited August 2020

Complaint...

Okay, for years it's been well known you shouldn't eat raw mice, really rare meat (presumably unicorn or dodo), uncooked eggs or let the juices, liquids or fallout from these items contaminate, cross contaminate or collect on or splatter on stuff such as your counters, utensils, dishes or small children (which is weird because small children are usually pretty contaminated to begin with...  what's one more contaminant?)... you see warning about this all the time "Wash hands thoroughly after handling raw meat", "contains raw eggs cook completely", "may contain raw mice or mouse parts, heat to 165°F"... blah, blah, blah, E. coli, mad cow disease, disgruntled goat syndrome or listeria may be be present and sickness or werewolfism may occur... got that, and I have for years, clean you counters with a flamethrower and wash your hands and eyeballs after looking at anything raw.

But flour too? I'm not a baker, in fact I'm not even much of a fan of bread (under certain circumstances, maybe... it's gotta be good fresh bread)... but lately spurred on by public pressure and (I guess) in a misguided attempt to scare off COVID 19 (not 18 or 5*), my family has decided baking is a thing now and we (let me stress- Not Me) have been baking lots of delicious baked goods from scratch... This involves me transferring flour from big bags to storage containers... being that there are a bunch of containers I usually add an expiration date on a bit of masking tape, if not for safety, for novelty... (I recently found a container of lentils from 2003... and once ate blue cheese dressing that was 12 years old...apparently it had migrated from several refrigerators and survived a move from a different house)... it's entertaining to know how old something is sometimes... anyway while searching for the expiration date (always entertaining) I came across a tiny warning, something to the effect of: "Do not eat raw flour! Wash hands after coming in contact with uncooked dough! Thoroughly clean all dish, utensils and counter surfaces with a flamethrower then move to a new home after opening bag"...

So I'm like "what the hell?"... It's Walmart flour, but I didn't think that many of the rats that operate the flour packing machinery would pooping into the flour... is that a thing now?

Yeah... apparently it is and the CDC (Center for Disease Control, not the Canadian Dinosaur Consortium) has a whole page on that titled "say no to raw dough"... catchy no? Not as much fun as their "preparing for a zombie apocalypse" checklist, but informative nonetheless... 

So, one more thing I have to decontaminate everything after coming contact with... Yay.

Megh.

*News related joke.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited August 2020

got my next surgery date.  no relatives answering my calls.  would suck to miss the next surgery supposed to fix my blindness

tired of sleeping all day every day,  my cousin set up my dvd so can play danny pantom episodes  he just 14, the box ghost,  the lunch lady ghost scary on all levels

Post edited by Mistara on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,392
    Mystiarra said:

got my next surgery date.  no relatives answering my calls.  would suck to miss the next surgery supposed to fix my blindness

tired of sleeping all day every day,  my cousin set up my dvd so can play danny pantom episodes  he just 14, the box ghost,  the lunch lady ghost scary on all levels

Mrrrf best of luck with all that ;v;

Rezca said:
    Mystiarra said:

Mrrrf best of luck with all that ;v;

thanks

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    Chohole said:
    kyoto kid said:

..did I just have a post deleted?  

I think you sent it to the wrong thread    

...agh, thank you, shouldn't have the forums on more than one tab at the same time. Yeah, that was supposed to be here.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited August 2020

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I have my patient up and about, rapidly refreshing his memories and relearning his skills.  I finally got all his ducks in a row so that he can login to DAZ and wander through the forums again.smiley  Tomorrow I'll work on tidying up my Thunderbird email files and getting all my old fragmented, archived mail data back into one place again.  I've been meaning to do that for several months ever since I realized that Thunderbird throws away old mail.  Just poof, gone.angry  My multiple backups are what will at least partially save me.indecision  The hardest part will be locating the several backups that comprise the complete history of my Thunderbird experience over the last 8 months.frown

Mystiarra said:

...sending good vibes your way.

...speaking of recovery, still dealing with fixing the phone.   I originally got it from T•Mobile (which is why when I restored it I got a lot of T•Mobile rubbish on the screen), but about a year ago I switched to Consumer Cellular (which saves me 30$ a month) so I don't think I can go to the T•Mobile outlet to get things working properly again . Consumer Cellular has no Brick & Mortar outlets. 

Finally got my two grocery market apps set up and running again. Sadly the weather service I used to have changed their app and it now requires Android 6.0 or better.. However, found a new one that give me everything I need on one screen and even sets the current conditions to wherever I am located at the moment.  Still need to find a good ringtone that isn't a song, cheesy electronic noise, or something everyone else uses, as well as set up and sync a couple other apps I used to have and get the secure login working again.  Crikey, this is almost more exasperating than setting up a new computer as it often involves having to type things in on that tiny "virtual keyboard".

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,093
    kyoto kid said:

...speaking of recovery, still dealing with fixing the phone.   I originally got it from T•Mobile (which is why when I restored it I got a lot of T•Mobile rubbish on the screen), but about a year ago I switched to Consumer Cellular (which saves me 30$ a month) so I don't think I can go to the T•Mobile outlet to get things working properly again . Consumer Cellular has no Brick & Mortar outlets. 

Do you have a Target store nearby?  They service Consumer Cellular.  That's where I got my phone and my wife's phone set up.  ​

Dana

edited August 2020

...yes, there is one in the city centre.  I'll check with them on Monday. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739
    edited August 2020
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:

Another yucky part of my day has been trying to get a virgin copy of Windows10-Pro installed, but due to my stupidity I wasted two hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't boot the WindowsInstaller from the thumbdrive I made a couple weeks ago.  The bootable Thumbdrive wouldn't show up in the boot devices. frown After a while I gave up and tried to burn a copy of the Windows Installer to DVD but it requires 8GB of space and dual-layer DVD media which I don't have any of, nor any DL compatable DVD drives (that I know of). 

Have Windows 10 really grown that much?  I have the first version on a single layer DVD and it's not even full.

I just gave it a try since I need it to reinstall a PC soon.  Windows 10 2004 does fit onto a single layer 4.7 GB DVD actually.  

Oh! surprise  Never mind! blush  I just assumed that the instructions at the Microsoft download site were accurate.  Silly me!

Not sure what the page says in English, but in my language it says that if it tells you the image is too large when you try to burn it, you'll need a DL DVD, so that's why I tried a single layer first (I do have DL media and burners anyway).  The different Win 10 versions vary in size so apparently it's just a standard note to cover them all. 

Post edited by Taoz on
    McGyver said:

Complaint...

Okay, for years it's been well known you shouldn't eat raw mice

McGyver said:

But flour too? I'm not a baker, in fact I'm not even much of a fan of bread (under certain circumstances, maybe... it's gotta be good fresh bread)... but lately spurred on by public pressure and (I guess) in a misguided attempt to scare off COVID 19 (not 18 or 5*), my family has decided baking is a thing now and we (let me stress- Not Me) have been baking lots of delicious baked goods from scratch... This involves me transferring flour from big bags to storage containers... being that there are a bunch of containers I usually add an expiration date on a bit of masking tape, if not for safety, for novelty... (I recently found a container of lentils from 2003... and once ate blue cheese dressing that was 12 years old...apparently it had migrated from several refrigerators and survived a move from a different house)... it's entertaining to know how old something is sometimes... anyway while searching for the expiration date (always entertaining) I came across a tiny warning, something to the effect of: "Do not eat raw flour! Wash hands after coming in contact with uncooked dough! Thoroughly clean all dish, utensils and counter surfaces with a flamethrower then move to a new home after opening bag"...

So I'm like "what the hell?"... It's Walmart flour, but I didn't think that many of the rats that operate the flour packing machinery would pooping into the flour... is that a thing now?

https://www.livescience.com/55459-fda-acceptable-food-defects.html

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,026

edited August 2020
    kyoto kid said:

Finally got my two grocery market apps set up and running again. Sadly the weather service I used to have changed their app and it now requires Android 6.0 or better.. However, found a new one that give me everything I need on one screen and even sets the current conditions to wherever I am located at the moment.  Still need to find a good ringtone that isn't a song, cheesy electronic noise, or something everyone else uses, as well as set up and sync a couple other apps I used to have and get the secure login working again.  Crikey, this is almost more exasperating than setting up a new computer as it often involves having to type things in on that tiny "virtual keyboard".

Have you worked out the economics of how you use the phone vs what you could get with a pay-as-you-go TracFone?  How much do you actually use the phone for talking?  I could see that if you're on the phone all day long, or use a lot of data, or are addicted to the current state-of-the-art gadgetry, then TracFone wouldn't work for you.   But they have nice catalog of one or two generation old phones for under $100 and many under $50.  I'm able to use their $21 for 3 months service plan that provides 60 minutes of talk time.  Granted I don't talk any more than a sleeping snail but it's a nice Motorola (Moto G Optimo) Android-9 with speech recognition, front & back cameras, Bluetooth and plenty of storage once I added a 2nd memory chip.  Yes, I had to buy a couple GigaBytes of data access but I've hardly dented that because I usually only connect to the Internet when I'm at home and using my personal WiFi router for access.

I know that the $21 for 60 minutes for 3 months would strangle a lot of people who do a lot of talking, but that's only the absolute lowest service plan.  There are several other plans with varying amounts of minutes & data.  And if you ever see a need for more minutes or data, you can use the phone to add more, bing bang botta boom, done, right from the phone.yes  Break the plans down to cost-per-month to see what pops out.enlightened  For me the $7/month cost is perfect, I've currently accumulated over 3000 minutes of talk time for if I ever get gabby.  Because of my limited usage I have never regretted moving to TracFone.  Why pay for service you don't use?  And besides, in my not-so-humble opinion,  $800 phones on a $150/month plan are ludicrous foppery.

And don't let the "I don't want to bother buying a new service card every 3 months" excuse trouble you.  They really want you to subscribe instead of buying new service cards each quarter, and they'll give you a few percent off the price to automatically renew you when the time comes.  After 10 years of buying a new plan every 3-months, I finally decided to join their subscription service and saved a couple dollars per quarter.smiley  And, I can still use the phone or my computer to add a little time or data to the plan when necessary.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,350
    edited August 2020

MAJOR COMPLAINT: Huricane Isaisis is going over top of us on Monday night (or very early (2am) Tuesday).  I'm so not ready for this.

Non-Complaint: The projected track for Isaisis is now somewhat west of us and downgraded to a tropical storm. So, while we may get some wind and rain Tuesday it is not  nearly as bad as originally predicted.

095802_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
    897 x 736 - 98K
    Post edited by Charlie Judge on

siri says squirrels sleep 15 hours a day.  dolphins sleep 8  she doesnt answer how many hours dragons sleep

Mystiarra said:

siri says squirrels sleep 15 hours a day.  dolphins sleep 8  she doesnt answer how many hours dragons sleep

Well, if you know, then you need to let her know.  Have you checked Wikipedia?  Perhaps it's more up-to-date.indecision  

Does Siri know how long covid inmates sleep?

edited August 2020
    Mystiarra said:

And Siri sleeps 24 hours a day on my system.  Which she's not aware of since she's sleeping all the time.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • my dad needs cash.  So he wants to write me a check, then have me deposit into my account and then with draw the money from my ATM.  but he already has a debit card??  why take the extra steps??

Sounds like a teaching opportunity to me.

Sounds fishy to me.

This is a general complaint thread, right?

Some people... are dumb.

I cleaned someone's PC for them tonight - 50,000 junk files. Defragged the drive. PC runs noticeably better. All good, right?

Wrong. Just got a panicked call about their email, Facebook, and eBay having been "deleted"...

I explained that those things are not actually on their computer - "You could delete your entire hard drive, and your email, Facebook, etc would be just fine - they're stored on those companies' web servers. You're just signed out of them is all."

The response: "I keep putting ******** in the boxes but it won't take it."

Me: "...that's your password. Are you putting in your username first?"

Response: "That is my username. It won't take it. It's been deleted."

Me: "No, dude, that's your password. Sometimes your username is just your email. It's not even possible for your accounts to have been deleted from cleaning up the hard drive."

Response: "It's not working."

Me: *sigh* "I'll swing by tomorrow and see if I can help you get signed in."

I'd say it's old people, but I know too many tech-savvy older folks to think that's the problem.

I avoid decluttering other people's messes.  I won't clean your bathroom and I won't clean your hard drive.

Actually, that's not completely true.  I WOULD clean your hard drive for $120,000.  And I would clean your bathroom for $1,500,000.  I don't know how maids tolerate their jobs!

McGyver said:
    DanaTA said:

@McGyver

Loved that rant so much, I saved it to a Word document!

Dana

And it didn't crash your computer?… I'd unplug it for a while... it's not recommended to save stuff I write... it's bad for computers and devices and it puts you on certain "lists"... including that one Santa writes...

Jolly old elf my asp.

Hey, I am that jolly old elf, and I was just now checking my list.  Twice.  And guess who's name showed up?

Chohole said:

Tjohn said:

Here's a kitty.

I thought that was a render at first... but Daz cats don't look that good, do they? ;)

That kitty doesn't look good.    Looks like the epitome of evil in the making,   the   "What can I do next"  look

And how is this different from other kitties, hmmm?  cheeky

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I found my newly purchased CPU fan/cooler assembly that I'd specifically bought to fix my old computer.  The new fan had gotten "lost" in one of my wall of small shipping boxes for  computer parts.  Surprisingly I finally found it in a box labeled "Misc. Computer Parts."  who would'a thunk it?  I obviously put it in that box only a week or so ago.  Senility is creaping up quickly.frown

Complaint:  The process of finding my new fan entailed me finally getting my hands dirty and reorganizing my wall of parts boxes.  I'm about half way through.  I've been through about 10 boxes and finally thrown away ancient, ancient parts that I will never use and I don't have the patience to wait until I find someone interested in a USB1.1 hub or a CardBus ethernet adapter for a Win95 laptop.  Or half a dozen IDE cards, or old AGP video cards.  or..., or... much other ancient stuff.  Trashed it.yes  In this process I've freed up about two cubic feet of space on my wall by repacking some of the boxes, and many of them are much lighter.  Now, if I could just easily tell which one of my hundred USB cables are not CAT5 rated I'd get rid of them too.  Happily, I also found an old design but essentially new, barely unboxed MSI GeForce N730 graphics card to replace my existing really ancient ATI graphics card that tends to BSOD now and then.  I tried the N730 once before but no cigar.frown  This time I'll be a little more deliberate to tease out the settings necessary to make it work.enlightened

Oh, and in the process of sorting my boxes, I found a small bag of my old licenses and ID cards.  Found a PADI diving certificate photo of a 29 year old me from 1977, back in my SCUBA days, back when I weighed 160 pounds, 70 pounds ago.frown

If you look on youtube, you can find where you can turn all those extra parts into enough free gold to pay for the new video card for only about twice that much in toxic chemicals plus disposal costs, but you will likely only get .50 on the dollar for your gold. Good luck.

Yeah, disposal costs.  That's one of the reasons I never got very interested in chemistry despite having a nice chemistry set in my teens.  Too much cleaning of glassware, and worrying about what to do with the accumulating poisons.frown (Hint, They eventually went into our septic tank.blush  (Hey, it was the '60s, the world was still young, and besides the big chemical companies were dumping in the rivers so my half pint of death wouldn't mount to a hill of beans for 100 years until someone digs up the septic tank. (OMG only 40 years to go).

I got hooked by computer programming only a couple years later when I realized that I only needed my brain and there was no physical cleanup involved and other people provided the keypunch machine and took care of buying, installing, and maintaining the computer hardware.   Then PCs happened and it all turned on its head and now I had to be responsible for purchasing, installing, and maintaining my computers and I no longer program.sad  I should have been a mathematician or human language interpreter.  Except that I sucked at both those skills.indecision

I wanted to be a professional student which would have been great because I did really well in school and never had to study, But it has never done me any good as an (if you'll excuse the expression) adult, and frequently causes problems.

I've learned to space out my degrees by a minimum of 12 years.  I'm pro-learning and pro-education, but too much of any one good thing can be toxic.  I'm a firm believer that too much time in school can actually be counterproductive to making a living and saving/investing for retirement.

kyoto kid said:

....haven't responded to thei thread for a while due to what I felt had been  condescending replies I have received in the from a certian member, but as this actually fits better here I definitely need some serious help here from someone who has a helpful solution.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5851281/#Comment_5851281

From what I understand in an article I saw browsing for a solution to another problem I've been having, it seems that "Shutdown" in Win10 does not actually do a complete shutdown, just more of a "comatose", but regardless, it doesn't clear everything like you think it should.surprise  I believe (from the same article) that to force the system to do a complete from scratch reboot you need to do a "Restart" instead of a "Shutdown".  It's an easy test.enlightened

That is true, but only for Windows 10.  Older versions of Windows will still reset the system state upon shutdown, but Windows 10 resets it on "restart".  With Windows 10, a shutdown merely saves the system state so that a subsequent boot from cold is faster.  And that was Microsoft's way of trying to speed up boot speeds for the common user.

McGyver said:

Notice: The following is both a complaint and a public service announcement. 

My dear fellow citizens of planet earth...

In these trying and uncertain times we now live in (unless of course you just died, then sorry), many different forces constantly pull at us and twist standards and facts into a ragged mess of disinformation and confusion... ordinary ideas and concepts which are fairly self evident have become shredded by conflict and zealously unleashed stupidity.  It has become most necessary that we all do our best to try and communicate clearly... this is why I feel the need to point out an increasing problematic and reoccurring mistake which stands to replace a long held concept.

The saying is...

"COULDN'T CARE LESS!!!"

...and then, a lot more stuff....and then...

McGyver said:
    Thank you.

I agree with you! 

Except in the case where somebody actually could care less but chooses not to.

For example, let's consider the full sentence, "I could care less, but I wouldn't bother because that takes more energy than I wish to expend."  Now let's also consider that the speaker or writer gets past the first four words and decides to stop before the comma.  You know, due to not wanting to expend even the energy for a lowly comma.  Well then, "I could care less" is actually not wrong, is it?

wink

Mystiarra said:

Hu   akmost back.  2 more surgeries .  vittrpus replacement.  lotta catching up  waiting.  be ironic if i missed a new dragon

Good luck and don't worry.  If a new dragon comes out, they'll save you one of your very own!

siri says she can see santa's house from the cloud.

she said i hays Wales has 3 million people.  where did everyone go?  long island has 7 million.  the hi ways and by ways are crowded.

playing the ask siri stupid questions game.  she said i sad cuz i have no friends when i asked to divide 0 by 0

I decided to take precautions in case the hurricane gets too close...

Don't worry, these ones are magical... the guy who sold them to too me said so.

TJohn said:

..had that as my mouse pad at my old job.

edited August 2020
    kyoto kid said:

Have you worked out the economics of how you use the phone vs what you could get with a pay-as-you-go TracFone?  How much do you actually use the phone for talking?  I could see that if you're on the phone all day long, or use a lot of data, or are addicted to the current state-of-the-art gadgetry, then TracFone wouldn't work for you.   But they have nice catalog of one or two generation old phones for under $100 and many under $50.  I'm able to use their $21 for 3 months service plan that provides 60 minutes of talk time.  Granted I don't talk any more than a sleeping snail but it's a nice Motorola (Moto G Optimo) Android-9 with speech recognition, front & back cameras, Bluetooth and plenty of storage once I added a 2nd memory chip.  Yes, I had to buy a couple GigaBytes of data access but I've hardly dented that because I usually only connect to the Internet when I'm at home and using my personal WiFi router for access.

I know that the $21 for 60 minutes for 3 months would strangle a lot of people who do a lot of talking, but that's only the absolute lowest service plan.  There are several other plans with varying amounts of minutes & data.  And if you ever see a need for more minutes or data, you can use the phone to add more, bing bang botta boom, done, right from the phone.yes  Break the plans down to cost-per-month to see what pops out.enlightened  For me the $7/month cost is perfect, I've currently accumulated over 3000 minutes of talk time for if I ever get gabby.  Because of my limited usage I have never regretted moving to TracFone.  Why pay for service you don't use?  And besides, in my not-so-humble opinion,  $800 phones on a $150/month plan are ludicrous foppery.

And don't let the "I don't want to bother buying a new service card every 3 months" excuse trouble you.  They really want you to subscribe instead of buying new service cards each quarter, and they'll give you a few percent off the price to automatically renew you when the time comes.  After 10 years of buying a new plan every 3-months, I finally decided to join their subscription service and saved a couple dollars per quarter.smiley  And, I can still use the phone or my computer to add a little time or data to the plan when necessary.

...I still actually have an old flip phone from such a service but it is extremely limited ans you have to manuslly "reload" it every 30 days often having to enter a long cryptic code to do so (not good for a dyslexic with old eyes).  Also on such phones, net access (data) is extremely expensive, more so than with most smartphone plans.  I need data for a couple of functions I use ( I am currently paying 25$ a month for 250 minutes (which I rarey iif ewver use unless I have to contact some government agency which puts me on hold for 45 min to an hour), unlimited texting, and 3 GB/month of data usage),  Most of those "pay as you go phones actually end up more expensive in the long run as you pay a flat 10¢ a minute, so a 10 minute call is 2.50$.

As our transit system has done away with paper passes and tickets, without a smart (and yes, I question the term) phone, I would either have to carry a wad of change in my pocket (and currently they are not accepting cash fares because of COVID), or deal with a ridiculous, and easy to lose, fare card (which just adds to the other cards one has to deal with) that you have to go to some store or other "certified" outlet to put money on it. 

With the phone app I can add money to it online (even through the phone) and the app also lets me instantly see the balance in my account so I don't end up in an unpleasant and embarrassing situation when boarding when account has insufficient funds.   You can check your balance with the card option, but is a rather cumbersome process and can only be done on a home computer after entering a bunbch of different codes. If it's lost or stolen, well, tough luck.

The one other service I like having a smartphone for is being able to get directions to a location as well as the food market apps which come in very handy and are not available on a flip phone.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

the white is too bright.  it hurts

edited August 2020
    Mystiarra said:

Your eyes now have a clear window to the world.  No yellowed ancient lens in the way.  I used a pair of sunglasses (clip-ons when necessary), for a while when looking at a white monitor, and going outside on a bright day hurts.  

ALSO, your eyes now have less protection from UV light from the sun.  Sunglasses should be kept handy.

Young people snicker at us oldies when we complain about the screens being too bright.frown  To which I say, just wait, just wait.  You'll see what we mean when your eyes are three-quarters of a century old and have had the watery, UV blocking lens replaced with a plastic one.cheeky

Mystiarra said:

I think Firefox has some sort of add on to customize the appearance of websites, so you can have a "dark style" look... 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?category=appearance&sort=recommended%2Cusers&type=extension

There are a couple (actually quite few) but since I haven't used them, it's best you decide which one seems best for you... the reviews vary... 

edited August 2020
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

...I still actually have an old flip phone from such a service but it is extremely limited ans you have to manuslly "reload" it every 30 days often having to enter a long cryptic code to do so (not good for a dyslexic with old eyes).  Also on such phones, net access (data) is extremely expensive, more so than with most smartphone plans.  I need data for a couple of functions I use ( I am currently paying 25$ a month for 250 minutes (which I rarey iif ewver use unless I have to contact some government agency which puts me on hold for 45 min to an hour), unlimited texting, and 3 GB/month of data usage),  Most of those "pay as you go phones actually end up more expensive in the long run as you pay a flat 10¢ a minute, so a 10 minute call is 2.50$.

As our transit system has done away with paper passes and tickets, without a smart (and yes, I question the term) phone, I would either have to carry a wad of change in my pocket (and currently they are not accepting cash fares because of COVID), or deal with a ridiculous, and easy to lose, fare card (which just adds to the other cards one has to deal with) that you have to go to some store or other "certified" outlet to put money on it. 

With the phone app I can add money to it online (even through the phone) and the app also lets me instantly see the balance in my account so I don't end up in an unpleasant and embarrassing situation when boarding when account has insufficient funds.   You can check your balance with the card option, but is a rather cumbersome process and can only be done on a home computer after entering a bunbch of different codes. If it's lost or stolen, well, tough luck.

The one other service I like having a smartphone for is being able to get directions to a location as well as the food market apps which come in very handy and are not available on a flip phone.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Most of those "pay as you go phones actually end up more expensive in the long run as you pay a flat 10¢ a minute, so a 10 minute call is 2.50$."

That is not what I've experienced with TracFone.  "60 minutes over 90 days for $21" means "60 minutes over 90 days for $21", period!  No extra charges whether I'm using voice or text.  Yes, data does cost extra but it's not that expensive unless you do a LOT of browsing on the fly (i.e. walking around town).  And if you're using a flip phone you're a decade behind the times.  Like I say I have a relatively modern smart phone that does maps, and locations and voice, and browse, and apps galore, and it does them fast.  I still say that it's worth examining their website or asking around.  If you don't use the 250 minutes why pay for them?  Analyze your usage, see what plans they have.  And remember you DON'T have to subscribe and you DON'T have to buy a card, and punch in numbers.  Link your TracFone to their website and just order up a burst of minutes when you need them.  They'll just add to your subscription minutes (if you're using subscription).  No long term contracts.  On the plus side, you don't even have to buy the phone from TracFone's catalog BUT they do have some very servicable phones for very reasonable prices.

Don't let past experience with other companies sour you on TracFone.  www.TracFone.com  Check 'em out.

HOWEVER, if you get your phone and your in-home Internet service through your cell phone company then that's a problem.sad  In my case I get my land-line phone and my Internet service through the phone company but my TracFone costs are a separate thing.  I get land-line phone and 100 Mb/sec DSL Internet service from the phone company (60Mb/s in reality) for $95/month and I don't have cable TV but get everything through the phone Internet link.  My problem is I rarely use the land-line phone, but dropping just that service wouldn't save me much of anything.  So, each of us has particular situations, I'm only suggesting to see what TracFone has to offer these days.

edited August 2020

Complaining non-complaint:  (*sigh*)  I just had verification that I might have trouble finding a newer graphics card for my old computer (the recovering patient).  It seems that many other people have had trouble with the system freezing during boot when trying to install newer graphics cards onto this motherboard.

The computer is about 10 years old and it's mother board is a "Pegatron 2AC2".  The specs say it has a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot for the graphics card but other people have reported problems getting newer graphics cards to work because of inconpatabilities introduced around version 2.1 of the PCIe specifications.  I checked on the specs of the "MSI N730-2GD3V3" (GeForce 730) card that I have and is says it is PCIe 2.0 but...sad

Meanwhile... I am writing this complaint while my computer is very busy copying vast amounts of data and doing other things also at the same time and I see no lag in browsing or mousing or whatever.  Oh, it's so nice to have enough cores in my CPU to handle everything without getting winded.yes  Wheee...

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,093
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

"Most of those "pay as you go phones actually end up more expensive in the long run as you pay a flat 10¢ a minute, so a 10 minute call is 2.50$."

That is not what I've experienced with TracFone.  "60 minutes over 90 days for $21" means "60 minutes over 90 days for $21", period! 

60 minutes over 90 days?!?!   Diane uses that much in one day sometimes!  Often, actually.  I'm paying about $54 and some change, including taxes and surcharges, for two phone lines with unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 10GB of data per month.  So, that's only a dollar or two more than what you are paying for three months, but we're getting a whole lot more    @KK, you should look into this.  This was an automatic upgrade to our account, and it didn't cost us any additional money.  Perhaps it's regional, but I wouldn't see why.

Dana

This discussion has been closed.